Ramontxo

Donor
It is Paris! I understand that whatever you did in the 19th would never, even, aproach the horrors of 20th century arquitecture, but... It is Paris!! Good luck.
And thanks a lot for your work

A Hungarian Rondo
@Fehérvári : hope I did it justice

Soundtrack: Ferenc Erkel - László Hunyadi - Overture

*exterior* *Hungary* *montage of new cloth-spinning factories that have been built* *cut to men at an ironworks pouring out molten metal* *cut to Karl of Brunswick inspecting one of his mines* *Hermine has made herself useful in the mining "village" by establishing what's clearly a hospital tent and a "school" tent while we see men building the actual hospital* *we see a steamship or two plying the Danube* *cut to land being cleared for railways* [1] *cut the countryside is waving fields of wheat* *cut to the fields where we see farm-workers looking up from harvesting the wheat to cheer a train steaming past*

*exterior* *Pressburg* *we see the imperial train arriving at the station [2]* *from the first coach disembarks King Ferdinand and Queen Maria Anna* *from the second disembarks a rather wide-eyed thirteen-year-old Archduke Franz [Joseph] [3] accompanied by railway president, Count György Andrássy*
Franzi: *in Hungarian* do you really mean it? That one day we'll be able to travel all over with trains?
Andrássy: of course, your Royal Highness, with time and peace, I have no doubt that Hungary will be able to prosper as much as Bohemia or even England.
Franzi: I should like it if that were to happen.
Andrássy: as would we all, sir. It is our society's [4] most fervent wish.
*conversation is ended by Franzi being called to his uncle's side for the "official welcome"*

*cut to the Städtischer Aupark* *there's an exhibition of sorts going on* *it looks like a cross between a country fair and an industrial exhibition* *we see Franzi presenting the prizes to the winners in each category* *including him pinning a prize ribbon on a frankly massive Hungarian Grey bull [5]* *we then see the elderly Dániel Csapó Tagyosi coming forward on stage* *Franzi is making a short speech in Hungarian honouring Csapó's "life's work" in the modernization of Hungary 's agricultural sector. For successfully being able to bind quicksand and making the ground useable. For his work in sheep and horse farming. And for the recent publication of his work Gazdasági kistükör [Economic Mirror]* *in honour of these accomplishments Franzi asks that Csapó accept a small token - "certainly not commeasurate with the amount of good you have done for our kingdom" - of gratitude* *the old man bows as Franzi places "by Order of His Most Apostolic Majesty" the ribbon of the Order of Saint Stephen around his neck [6]* *the old man straightens and faces the crowd* *he looks like he wants to cry*
From the crowd: Long Life to His Majesty! Long Life to Archduke Franz!

*cut to the Diet*
Archduke Joseph: *announces a debate about the regency bill that the Emperor has made, naming Frankie as regent in the event of his demise before his grandson's majority* *his tone just sounds like he's done this dance before*
Count Lajos Batthyány: *rises from his seat* I call to mind the speech made from this very throne that should we agree to his Imperial Majesty's wishes, he would regard us better than the Venetians. But now he clearly distrusts not only us but also the Palatine that he appointed to steer the kingdom through such crises. How many more proofs of loyalty must Hungary give?
Prince Pál Esterházy: how very like a cur like you, Batthyány, to try to try to conflate the two issues.
Count Istvan Széchenyi: and how like an Esterházy to be willing to cut Hungary's own throat for the payment of Austria.
Esterházy: how is your steamboat fleet faring on the Danube, Count?
Széchenyi: *doesn't answer*
Esterházy: do you not have not only our gracious Palatine to thank for you to be allowed to indulge such a whim but also thanks to the successful lobbying of the duke of Reichstadt?
Széchenyi: that is not the quite the same. *looks at Joseph* I am very grateful for the confidence that his Royal Highness has placed in me, and I am very grateful for the duke of Reichstadt's patronage-
Esterházy: but not grateful enough to support this bill?
Batthyány: my honourable colleague is entirely correct when he mentions that these matters are chalk and cheese. We cannot allow the duke of Reichstadt to "run" Hungary from Vienna. We must be watchful Prince Esterházy.
Esterházy: so by that imagery, Batthyány, if he were to come set up shop in Buda, you would find no quarrel with the idea.
Batthyány: do not put words in my mouth. I am simply pointing out that there is no evidence to suggest that his Serene Highness will understand the intricacies of Hungarian politics. Or respect them.
Esterházy: and you are basing this on what evidence exactly? The duke of Reichstadt could hardly have been expected to understand the "intricacies" of the government of Venice, and yet...here we sit...with him having clearly mastered the intricacies.
Széchenyi: But Hungary and Venice are unfortunately, very different.
Esterházy: and you think your cousin, Metternich, will leave Archduke Joseph in place once the emperor dies?
Széchenyi: he will have no choice. Prince Metternich will not have the power to remove the Palatine-
Esterházy: Prince Metternich was also supposed to have had the power to curb the duke of Reichstadt. He hasn't done that. In fact, the main thing Hungary has to be grateful for is that the duke of Reichstadt has given him a new target for his ire so that he can no longer pester the Palatine.
Batthyány: but as long as the king remains opposed to Prince Metternich the Palatine will be safe.
Esterházy: how charmingly naive of you, Batthyány. The king is not strong enough to stand against Metternich. That is why the emperor has devised this scheme. So that Metternich will have someone to stand up for the king. A champion as it were. If it were up to Metternich, we should've forfeited the lands in Silesia and Italy that Hungary's sons fought and died for. Prince Metternich will sweep the Palatine aside and impose someone who will lick his boots...likely that fool, Rainier *to Joseph* I apologize for insulting your Highness' brother, but what else am I to think of a man who cannot even rally his own troops.
Batthyány: and will you rally your troops to defend the Palatine, Esterházy, or will you simply look out for your own interests? Is it not true that his Serene Highness has tipped you for leading the embassy to Paris?
Esterházy: I resent the implication, Count Batthyány, that I am only driven by self-interest. It is one thing that I'm grateful to this recent Fronde in France for demonstrating that loyalty to the crown does still count for something. Even one who repents so late in the day like Maréchal Ney has now been rewarded with the French ministry of education, much like the duke of Reichstadt was. When you accuse me of "benefitting", perhaps you should fix your eyes upon how Count Széchenyi looked as if he had just beheld the Virgin Mary herself when there was talk at yesterday's session of Hungary being allowed into the Steuerverein. Or does that not count as self-serving enough for you?
Batthyány: *glares at his colleague*
Esterházy: the fact of the matter remains, gentlemen, that if you wish for the Palatine to remain in charge, you would support the duke of Reichstadt as regent. However misguided attempts are such as his endorsing your steamboats, Széchenyi, or wishing for Hungary to join the Steuerverein, he is at least an honourable man. Which is more than I ever thought I would say of a Bonaparte. Prince Metternich has already showed that he is not above backstabbing his own allies if it achieves his ends. Yet you would rather have Metternich in charge?

*cut to interior of the Royal Palace in Pressburg* *Franzi is standing in a corner of the hallway* *Stephan comes walking past* *sees him*
Stephan: you're a little old for playing hide-and-seek aren't you?
Franzi: *half snooty tone* *hushed voice* I'm not playing hide-and-seek. I'm just hiding so that Erzsi doesn't find me.
Stephan: *hushed voice* and why is my sister looking for you?
Franzi: because she's decided that we're going to get married. And have lots of children and-
Stephan: *seriously* and you don't want to get married.
Franzi: *terrifiedly* not to her I don't.
Stephan: come along, [step]Mother has told her my rooms are off limits. So she won't look for you there. And if anyone asks, you can say we were busy discussing my "rock collection".
Franzi: *falling in beside him as they walk* I don't really like rocks. That's more...Maxi's thing.
Stephan: don't worry. I won't talk about rocks.

*cut to Stephan's study* *Stephan's "rescue dog", Bela, is lying snoozing in front of the fireplace*
Stephan: *motions to Franzi to sit down on the sofa* *takes a seat in the revolving chair at the desk*
Franzi: *looks at it* does it spin all the way around?
Stephan: *demonstrates*
Franzi: that's more interesting than a collection of rocks.
Stephan: you like mechanics?
Franzi: Leopold [Archduke Rainer's son] is teaching me about them.
Stephan: and you're enjoying it.
Franzi: *nods as Bela pads up to investigate*
Stephan: *suddenly serious* do you know what they're discussing at the Diet today?
Franzi: Hungary's entrance into the Steuerverein
Stephan: among other things. Has your grandfather or your uncle told you about how he wants to name your Uncle Frankie regent if he dies before you're eighteen?
Franzi: Uncle Klemens [Metternich] says its a bad idea. But every time I ask him why, he tells me not to worry about it.
Stephan: and what do you think of it?
Franzi: nobody tells me what it's about so I do what Uncle Klemens says and "I don't worry about it".
Stephan: *to himself* of course he did. *to Franzi* simply put, the bill says that when your grandpa dies, Uncle Frankie is going to be the one in charge until you're eighteen.
Franzi: not Uncle Ferdinand?
Stephan: Uncle Ferdinand is sick...you've seen him. Uncle Frankie is going to be regent for him-
Franzi: until he gets better?
Stephan: until he gets better. Or you turn eighteen. Then you will be able to take over.
Franzi: but what about Uncle Frankie? What'll he do after that?
Stephan: he needs to get the job first.
Franzi: you mean he won't? But what about Uncle Ferdinand being sick.
Stephan: Metternich is going to try to convince everyone that there's nothing wrong with Uncle Ferdinand- you've seen how he parades him around in Vienna to try and convince everyone he's not sick, haven't you?
Franzi: *nods* *he's taken to absently stroking Bela*
Stephan: that's so he won't need a regency. And then, Prince Metternich will be the one in charge. And he hates your Uncle Frankie, my father, me-
Franzi: why?
Stephan: you know how some people carry a picture around in their heads about how they think something should look. And they're not happy until it looks like that?
Franzi: like a painter?
Stephan: *nods* now, Prince Metternich has one picture in his head. Uncle Frankie, my father, myself, Cousin Albert, even Uncle Karl [of Teschen] have a different picture. In Prince Metternich's picture...Uncle Frankie's not there. My father is not there.
Franzi: because they make his life difficult?
Stephan: yes.
Franzi: so you're like the good Bourbons and the wicked Orléans who cut off the king's head?
Stephan: yes. You being here? If it were up to Prince Metternich, you'd never have to leave Vienna. Cousin Leopold wouldn't be teaching you about mechanics and Prince Felix [Schwarzenberg] wouldn't be your tutor. You'd have some man who's starched outside and sawdust inside instead.
Franzi: like Louis XVII?
Stephan: except your Temple will be the Hofburg. He'll take Uncle Frankie, your Mama, Papa, Annchen, Lisa [7] away from you. He'll lock you up all alone.
Franzi: *looks at his cousin with big eyes*
Stephan: the bill in the diet is about that. Father had to promise them that he will...look at some legislation about removing some of Prince Metternich's censorship laws.
Franzi: he says those laws are necessary. That if we didn't have them, we'd all be in terrible danger all the time. And we'd wind up like Louis XVI.
Stephan: Father and Uncle Frankie want to change that. Not allow anyone to say what they like, but rather to add a penalty for if they say something that puts people - not just us - at risk. Like that the newspapers will be fined, or forced to print a retraction if they say something like...Uncle Frankie is Maxi's dad.
Franzi: mama cries whenever she hears them say that. And that I'm Prince Gustaf's son, not Papa's.
Stephan: you asked about Louis XVI, did you see what happened to him when they said his son wasn't his.
Franzi: *draws a finger across his throat*
Stephan: and five decades of civil war. Father and Uncle Frankie want to make it so that people who write things like that end up in jail. They don't want to do what Prince Metternich does and just jail people because they thought it.
Franzi: why not just chop of Prince Metternich's head and be done with it? It's what Louis XVI should've done with Philippe Égalité.
Stephan: because then we're just as bad as him [8]

*cut to Vienna*
Prince Metternich: *tosses a newspaper angrily into the fireplace* *as we see the flames licking at it greedily we see the headline "Hungarian Diet Passes Regency Bill for Duke of Reichstadt. Censorship Laws Relaxed"* *for an illustration, there is a boat on a lake [Balaton?]* *in the boat - at one end - are Metternich, Archdukes Johann, Ludwig and Rainier* *in the boat's prow that's lifted out of the water is Frankie standing with Franz [Joseph] trying to "balance" the boat* *on the dock, Archduke Joseph waits for the boat to arrive so he can step in, clearly on Frankie's end* *Teschen is shown on the edge of the picture asking "room for one more?"* *to which the cartoon Metternich gestures to the vacant seat beside him*
Metternich: *face almost purple with rage* *stalks out of room*

*fade to black*

[1] while this may seem "unlikely", Hungary hasn't actually been suffering from the war in the same way that parts of Bohemia and Moravia have, so it's not unthinkable that, in fear of getting shelled, more than a few iron-works in Bohemia and Moravia have opened a "Hungarian branch" (or gone into partnership with Hungarian owners). Also, railways would be deemed as "essential services" so I could see a lot of people being "drafted" to work on the railways and roads. It gives those recently freed serfs something to do (and let's them feel like they're "involved" in the country), lets them be seen as productive (by parts of society that might otherwise be skeptical of the benefit of freeing the serfs) and they likely earn an income. Even if its not for the "technical work" they can at least be put to use clearing and excavating land for tracks, building bridges for railway routes, feeding the hungry workmen's camp etc etc. It beats starving to death in the cities
[2] Bratislava's main station was only completed in 1848, so it might be more along the lines of a "platform" than a "stationhouse", although presumably the station could have probably been built earlier
[3] this might be his first trip "on his own" (sans Archduchess Sophie etc)
[4] this would be the National Hungarian Economic Association (while OTL it was pretty much just farming and farming equipment, I could see it having expanded its reach industrially)
[5] this exhibition is a combination of the 1850 exhibit in Budapest and the 1841 exhibit organized by the the patron of the National Hungarian Economic Association, Archduke Joseph. The war delayed the 1841 exhibit but timing it to coincide with a royal visit doesn't seem unthinkable. As for Franzi presenting the prizes, this is both to get him "exposure" in Hungary and because Ferdinand's epilepsy could make it very awkward if he starts having a fit in the middle of it.
[6] the order of Saint Stephen's statutes stipulate that the bearer must have "seize quartiers" of nobility. Csapó is the son of wealthy commoners. Figure he's a year away from dying and the man has worked his ass off (the Economic Mirror being published when he was 65yo) for it.
[7] Franz Joseph's TTL sisters, Maria Anna (b.1835) and Elisabeth Sophie (b.1837)
[8] this is not to say that Frankie hasn't imagined several ways of separating the man's head from his body with a blunt pair of gardening shears. Just you don't want to make Franz Joseph think that that's the way to rule

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55

A Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Soundtrack: King John IV of Portugal - Adeste Fideles

*exterior* *Sicily* *we see a pregnant Louise [1] with her eldest son, the duke of Calabria, her "stepson" and Calabria's inseparable companion, Ludo of Württemberg; the Princesse de Capua, her two children, the Comtesse de Syracuse [2] and her two daughters* *they are visiting the hospitals[3] in Palermo* *we see them going from bed to bed sharing a few words with each of the patients [4]* *then at a banquet for the doctors, priests and nurses at the Palazzo d'Orléans [5] presided over by the king and queen of Sicily*
*interior* *the coach* *Ludo and Calabria are sitting opposite Louise*
Ludo: why do we have to go to the hospitals anyway? We could send a monkey there and he'd do the job as well
Louise: then why was Jesus born? If we could send a monkey to do his job?
Calabria: no we couldn't. He was born to redeem mankind.
Louise: He was. And that is why we visit the hospitals.
Ludo: *frowning* but we don't redeem them. We don't even make them better by going. Not like we can say "pick up your mat and walk [6]".
Louise: *smiles* Christmas is a melody of two tunes. The words tell us a simple and heart-breaking story of a baby born outside of society, in a stable, because there was nowhere else on Earth for him. The music is the angels singing their "hallelujahs" because Heaven is open to all of us. It is the king's job to bring a touch of Heaven to a weary world.
Calabria: I like that idea.
Louise: its the axiom of Christmas, Ludwig...that the birth of a homeless child is celebrated in every home.

*cut to the Palazzo di Ficuzza* *we see that the interior has been decorated not only in the French style [7] but also for Christmas*
Louise: *removing her gloves* what is it, Annunziata?
Annunziata, the lady-in-waiting [8]: Majesty, there's been news from Paris. A...revolt.
Louise: *panicked* a revolt? Or a revolution?
Annunziata: a revolt, Madame. The king has suppressed the National Guard.
Louise: about time.
Annunziata: unfortunately, Madame, the National Guard wasn't too fond of that idea. And they took to the streets trying to mass the Parisians to dethrone the king and restore the republic.
Louise: *nervously* and my brother, mother, aunt, uncle?
Annunziata: they are unharmed, Madame. The National Guard was, for the most part, stopped by the Parisians, and the king sent the army in to keep the peace.
Louise: *skeptically* the Parisians? Stopped a revolt? Well....it truly is a season for miracles.
Ferdinando: *walking in* as I understand it, it's been brewing for a while. At first, they were deprived of their "privilege" to guard the king.
Louise: my aunt wouldn't have let those men near her for all the bergamot in Reggio. Not after how they've stabbed the kings in the back every time there's even a hint of a revolution
Ferdinando: *nods as he takes over from the maids* *dismisses Annunziata* quite. There was a compensation that the guard was to be a sort of "garde civile", to sort of keep the peace in Paris. They weren't too fond of that idea. But although they grumbled, Paris' new governor, Catherine?
Louise: Cathelineau [9]. He's one of my brother's fiercest supporters.
Ferdinando: Cathelineau ordered them to do it. But as the new batches of the Garde have been returning to Paris from the provinces, and being replaced by the king's men, the tensions have been...increasing. The spool that broke the camel's back was over the matter of lodgings and a matter in the courts.
Louise: lodgings? As in room at the inn?
Ferdinando: their barracks. It would seem the king has turned some of their casernes over to the Garde Français. And as a result, many of the National Garde returning found that they had nowhere to return to.
Louise: most of them don't live in the barracks anyway. That's where the whole problem comes in. Instead of living in the barracks like they're supposed to, they live in town.
Ferdinando: then the king passed a decree that the National Garde was to be incorporated in the army - just like the Garde Français, so as to enforce that rule-
Louise: and their loyalty.
Ferdinando: which of course, irritated some more. And then...it seems...there was an incident involving one of the casernes, a Parisienne - according to the official report she's the daughter of some or other shopkeeper, according to what was said in the courts, she is little more than a...street walker. - and five of the National Garde who...had some sport with her.
Louise: *horrified*
Ferdinando: the court found the guardsmen guilty of the offense and sentenced them to imprisonment. But of course, this inflamed the rest of the garde, which called the charges "spurious" and, when they swarmed the streets...they were shouting that the king plans to do this to all "loyal sons of the fatherland" and "long live the Republic".
Louise: five men get held accountable for what they did and that's cause for revolution?
Ferdinando: as Annunziata noted, the Parisians put a stop to the disturbance themselves. With help from the army. There has been some...rather vicious fighting in the streets of Paris- roughly what we feared would happen when Henri rode into Paris- many of the guardsmen would - according to their words "rather die fighting for the republic, than live as the king's slaves".
Louise: *sits down in front of dressing table in her nightdress* their actions show that they don't deserve to be free. They deserve to be chained up and forced to row a galley-
Ferdinando: *starts brushing her hair* then I suspect you will enjoy the punishment your uncle has devised for them.
Louise: exile to Algeria?
Ferdinando: that would just turn Algeria into a problem. And since Henri plans to visit Corsica and Algiers before your uncle's coronation, I suspect not a wise one. No, your uncle has decided that, since the National Garde is now part of the army, the military punishment for mutiny is to be observed. Four hundred were executed after being court martialled. And the rest...well, they have been stripped of their ranks, any decorations and commendations for partaking in this uprising. Then the king ordered that these men - apparently there's something like seventy-thousand of them - be punished by "assisting" the Parisians clearing the rubble from the fires that were set. Or they can face the firing squad as well.
Louise: serves them right.
Ferdinando: almost enough to make one wonder if Henri didn't plan this from the start.
Louise: I doubt he would've encouraged them to rape a girl.
Ferdinando: I meant the "get them all to Paris" before giving them a reason he could snuff it out.
Louise: you believe my brother far more cruel than he is.
Ferdinando: *muses* I suppose. He was, after all, the main voice against putting the duc d'Orléans on trial.
Louise: I thought it was already decided? After all, he should at least stand trial for crimes against France if not treason to his king.
Ferdinando: it seems the king's doctors suspect the duc has cancer [10]. Even if he does stand trial, there's no assurance that the trial will have even started before he dies. Your uncle wanted it done by the book. With evidence and witnesses, even a jury in the Chambre des Pairs...but...it's now being rationalized that the cancer is punishment enough. To convict an old man already at death's doorstep...it would have a horrible backlash. Not to mention it would make the king look petty.
Louise: *nods as he leaves* *crosses herself then looks in the mirror* Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord, their foot shall slip in due time, for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things to come hasten upon them [11].

*cut to next morning* *Louise comes into the nursery where Calabria and Ludo are busily working on something*
Louise: *scolding* your father's in a dreadful state, Carluccio. Haven't you heard him calling you?
Calabria: I did. But Ludo and I wanted to finish first.
Louise: finish what?
Calabria: *smiles happily at his model* it's a bridge.
Louise: it's very nice, Carluccio, but your father is not going to be impressed knowing that you made him wait for a bridge.

*cut to another room where Ferdinando is playing with his other children* *Louise enters with Ludo and Calabria* *they're both carrying their model between them* *their "bridge" is little more than ice-cream sticks and glue but they're clearly proud of it*
Louise: I found the little stowaway *sits down next to Ferdinando* he was busy working on something to show you. *motions to Calabria to go ahead*
Calabria: *bows* your Majesty...*presents the model to his father*
Ferdinando: it's a bridge?
Calabria: *nods happily* Ludo and I built it.
Ferdinando: well, it looks *you can see he's trying to find something to say about it* why don't you tell me about it.
Calabria: *points at the "river" of the model* this is the straits of Messina. *points to one side* this is Calabria and this side is Sicily. Ludo and I got the idea when we saw how Cousin Nulfo [the prince of Salerno's son, Leopoldo Adinolfo, b.1829] got so sea-sick and he was saying he wishes there was a bridge.
Ferdinando: a bridge over the Straits?
Ludo: then he can ride in a carriage over it and he won't get sea sick, your Majesty.
Ferdinando: *looks at model speculatively[12]*

*fade to black*

[1] Ferdinando had thirteen kids OTL, he and Louise's mom also grew up in a rather large family. I could definitely see her having more than the four she did OTL (given that she's nearly a decade younger at the time of her marriage TTL). Considering that her "stepsisters" (the princesse de Faucigny and Comtesse de Vierzon) had five and ten kids respectively, and her mom was 35yo when she popped out another five kids in rapid succession by her second husband, I don't think it's ASB. Especially since she and Ferdinando seem to actually "like" one another.
[2] I could see Louise "taking in" the Countess of Syracuse in a Marie Antoinette-Princesse de Lamballe analogue after her husband deserts her.
[3] Palermo was actually a relatively "modern" in terms of medical care. The city had several hospitals. Ospedale San Teodoro was reserved for the foreigners/tourists, Ospedale Santa Maria la Marcata was a woman's hospital (from what I can make out it sounds like a maternity hospital). San Dionigi (St. Denis) was for the nobility, San Giovanni del Lebbrosi was originally for the lepers but later became a mental hospital. San Bartolomeo was for the treatment of prostitutes and syphilitics. San Filippo (the Filippone) was a women's hospital, San Francesco for the poor, San Giacomo for the military. Most of these hospitals (due to their large numbers of religious staff) were shuttered either by the Napoléonic invasion or the Piemontazzione process, one was reduced first to twenty beds (when it had an annual turnover of 1000 patients) and then turned into a military barracks
[4] basically the "cercle-ing" of court, just with hospital patients instead of courtiers
[5] the choice of this is probably very pointed. Louise had no love for the Orléans clan, even the duchesse who had remarked on the potential betrothal of Ferdinand de Chartres and Louise that "if she lives". Her dislike of them only intensified during exile, and while she may have held her tongue before, expect her to indulge in the odd pettiness towards them (Henri as well). As for the banquet, it's not unthinkable that with Louise's patronages of hospitals and medical schools that this is an annual event.
[6] these are the words of John 5:8. Not sure how "deep" Ludo's spiritual instruction would be at this age, but there is a Sunday school song that says "Peter and John went to pray / they met a lame man on the way / he held out his palms and asked for alms / and this is what Peter did say / silver and gold have I none / but in God's name give I thee / in the name of Jesus of Nazareth / rise up and walk!" Also, Calabria is really growing up "ecumenical": his parental family is Catholic; the Princesse de Capua is Anglican (from what I can make out) and Ludo is Protestant
[7] I could see this being Louise's influence. That Ficuzza has become her "private" home (settled on her by her marriage contract) and a bit of a Saint Cloud/Chambord/Sandringham (private residence rather than a royal one, even if the king stays there). Louise's "cosmopolitan" upbringing in France and Vienna also means that another tradition likely gets revived: the Christmas tree. It was originally introduced to Naples by Maria Amalie of Saxony (Carlos III's wife) but after her death faded. But I could see Louise "reviving"/"introducing" this practice that it stands side-by-side with the Presepio
[8] I couldn't find who would be likely to be lady-in-waiting, so I made one up. Perhaps Antonietta's brother/husband is the Sicilian ambassador to Paris (was there one?)
[9] Henri Cathalineau, who also gets made "Comte de Beaupreau" as a reward for his services. Henri de Chambord made him a "comte" in 1845 for doing (comparatively) nothing, so him getting a reward for actually fighting
[10] I swapped Angoulême being diagnosed with cancer in December 1843 with Louis Philippe.
[11] Deuteronomy 32:35
[12] the plans for a bridge over the straits is as old as Charlemagne (at least). And while Calabria/Ludo come up with the idea as a sort of "childish kindness", the fact is that a "road link" between Naples and Sicily can help with trade between the two parts of the kingdom as well. Not saying Ferdinando will build the bridge, but the idea's there.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55

The Parisians stood by their Monarch? The world has officially turned upside down.

Although this says wonders of the support of the people have For their rightful rulers.

For @Ramontxo here's a look at what we've got
1024px-Charles_de_Wailly%2C_Plan_g%C3%A9n%C3%A9ral_du_projet_des_embellissements_de_Paris%2C_1785_-_Gallica.jpg

The 1785 Plan Proposed for Paris by Wailly

1280px-Plan_de_la_ville_de_Paris_divis%C3%A9_en_12_arrondissements%2C_en_48_quartiers_indiquant_tous_les_changemens_faits_et_projet%C3%A9s.jpg

Paris c.1843

Basically de Wailly's plan was rejected because in many instances, it didn't respect "heritage" sites (Church of St. Germaine de l'Auxerrois would've been swept aside, and the Luxembourg Gardens would've been carved up).

Also, the île de la Cité and île de St. Louis would've been connected (a plan since 1767 already), a housing estate at L'Arsenal. The Seine would've been "straightened" (to make it easier for traffic to pass up and down the river). Squares would be laid out at Saint-Sulpice, Saint-Gervais and the Chatelet (not sure if this would've necessitated the demolition of the churches or clearing the houses around them). The île de Louviers and the île des Cygnes would be attached to the river banks. Bridges would be built upstream from the île de St. Louis. And Paris would be oriented on an East West axis.

From wikipedia:

by the union of the Louvre and the Tuileries to create a National Palace with two large squares, to the north between the Royal Palace and this proposed National Palace, i.e. the current place du Palais-Royal extended, to the south as far as the rue de Rivoli, to the east as far as rue de Marengo, to the west as far as rue des Pyramides) and to the east in a quadrilateral between rue de Rivoli, rue du Pont-Neuf, the quai du Louvre, the rue de l'Amiral-Coligny encompassing the church of Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois which would have been destroyed along with the whole of this district

The Parisians stood by their Monarch? The world has officially turned upside down.

Although this says wonders of the support of the people have For their rightful rulers.
it's why Louise calls it a Christmas miracle. That said though, it could be that the Republic wasn't kind to the businesses .

Henri and Angoulême have had thirteen years to plan this revenge, work out any "kinks" in the plan, hence why it comes across as "flawless". Although, TBH, their planned timeline might've only been something like "after a few years, once they've built up the good will". Good news is that there's been a "Fronde" (I don't think it can properly be called a revolution. Maybe a civil war) before this. The National Guard's grumbling at being incorporated into the army (AFAIK, they remained separate from it OTL) makes it a "military matter". The king punishing them is not a king cracking down on his subjects but rather him acting as "commander in chief" against soldiers who are mutinying. Even the other soldiers can't object to that. And the civilians really just don't want to end up seeing their property destroyed, so the masterstroke that the National Guard gang-raped a shopkeeper's daughters would probably be enough to send any father into a mad fury (because what if it had been his daughter - I suspect she's named under an alias to "protect her modesty") that he's going to resist them. Which means the National Guard likely "shoots any who resist". And so actually begin to be seen as an occupying army rather than "we're on your side".

It's not unlike Henri did in Lyons or Dijon: he's not for decentralization of the state (he might like it centralized as is, thank you very much), but the monarchy does portray itself as standing for "order" and "justice". The National Guard revolting because the verdict went against them is showing they don't accept the king's justice, which makes them an enemy of order.

It's unfortunately very authoritarian (and likely not sustainable long term) but it does serve it's purpose. These men are found guilty by their peers, executed by their peers etc. The king isn't putting a finger on the scale at any point aside from protecting businesses and upholding justice

this is probably a stupid (and perhaps far too "modern" question to re-impose in the 1840s), but is it possible that Caroline de Berri's menagerie that she established at Frohsdorf and will likely re-establish at Rosny (or Madame Royal's competing one at Villeneuve-sur-l'Etang near St Cloud) become the basis for a sort of proto-WWF. Not in that they're about protecting the environment, but that they have an interest in "rare and exotic animals" and so have wound up with things like a "colony" of great auks (officially extinct in 1844), Sicilian wolves (officially extinct in 1858), quaggas (extinct 1883), wisent (endangered already by the 19th century), barbary lions, etc alongside the more regular fallow deer and other animals of their menagerie.

@pompejus @Parma @H.Flashman(VC) were there any events/political currents in the Netherlands in the 1840/1843-1845 that could be looked at/should've gone differently? Especially now with Belgium not only having lost its staunchest support (Orléanist France; it was recognized by Frankie's politics not Britain's) and the Netherlands retaining Antwerp

@Fehérvári : hope I did it justice
You absolutely did! This is amazing!
This is actually one of my favourite pieces of all time. At some point, I actually even wanted a recomposition of it to be made the new Anthem of Hungary.
*exterior* *Hungary* *montage of new cloth-spinning factories that have been built* *cut to men at an ironworks pouring out molten metal* *cut to Karl of Brunswick inspecting one of his mines* *Hermine has made herself useful in the mining "village" by establishing what's clearly a hospital tent and a "school" tent while we see men building the actual hospital* *we see a steamship or two plying the Danube* *cut to land being cleared for railways* [1] *cut the countryside is waving fields of wheat* *cut to the fields where we see farm-workers looking up from harvesting the wheat to cheer a train steaming past*
Nice to see some actual development for the country. I really like the idea of wartime industrial relocation.
*exterior* *Pressburg* *we see the imperial train arriving at the station [2]* *from the first coach disembarks King Ferdinand and Queen Maria Anna* *from the second disembarks a rather wide-eyed thirteen-year-old Archduke Franz [Joseph] [3] accompanied by railway president, Count György Andrássy*
Franzi: *in Hungarian* do you really mean it? That one day we'll be able to travel all over with trains?
Andrássy: of course, your Royal Highness, with time and peace, I have no doubt that Hungary will be able to prosper as much as Bohemia or even England.
Franzi: I should like it if that were to happen.
Andrássy: as would we all, sir. It is our society's [4] most fervent wish.
*conversation is ended by Franzi being called to his uncle's side for the "official welcome"*
Will Franzi end up a train nerd enthusiast ITTL?

*cut to the Städtischer Aupark* *there's an exhibition of sorts going on* *it looks like a cross between a country fair and an industrial exhibition* *we see Franzi presenting the prizes to the winners in each category* *including him pinning a prize ribbon on a frankly massive Hungarian Grey bull [5]* *we then see the elderly Dániel Csapó Tagyosi coming forward on stage* *Franzi is making a short speech in Hungarian honouring Csapó's "life's work" in the modernization of Hungary 's agricultural sector. For successfully being able to bind quicksand and making the ground useable. For his work in sheep and horse farming. And for the recent publication of his work Gazdasági kistükör [Economic Mirror]* *in honour of these accomplishments Franzi asks that Csapó accept a small token - "certainly not commeasurate with the amount of good you have done for our kingdom" - of gratitude* *the old man bows as Franzi places "by Order of His Most Apostolic Majesty" the ribbon of the Order of Saint Stephen around his neck [6]* *the old man straightens and faces the crowd* *he looks like he wants to cry*
From the crowd: Long Life to His Majesty! Long Life to Archduke Franz!
FJ was pretty much under the radar in Hungary until his sudden ascendance to the throne in 1848. Him getting himself known with events like this will serve him good in the future.
we should've forfeited the lands in Silesia and Italy that Hungary's sons fought and died for. Prince Metternich will sweep the Palatine aside and impose someone who will lick his boots...likely that fool, Rainier *to Joseph* I apologize for insulting your Highness' brother, but what else am I to think of a man who cannot even rally his own troops.
Batthyány: and will you rally your troops to defend the Palatine, Esterházy, or will you simply look out for your own interests? Is it not true that his Serene Highness has tipped you for leading the embassy to Paris?
Esterházy: I resent the implication, Count Batthyány, that I am only driven by self-interest. It is one thing that I'm grateful to this recent Fronde in France for demonstrating that loyalty to the crown does still count for something. Even one who repents so late in the day like Maréchal Ney has now been rewarded with the French ministry of education, much like the duke of Reichstadt was. When you accuse me of "benefitting", perhaps you should fix your eyes upon how Count Széchenyi looked as if he had just beheld the Virgin Mary herself when there was talk at yesterday's session of Hungary being allowed into the Steuerverein. Or does that not count as self-serving enough for you?
Batthyány: *glares at his colleague*
Esterházy: the fact of the matter remains, gentlemen, that if you wish for the Palatine to remain in charge, you would support the duke of Reichstadt as regent. However misguided attempts are such as his endorsing your steamboats, Széchenyi, or wishing for Hungary to join the Steuerverein, he is at least an honourable man. Which is more than I ever thought I would say of a Bonaparte. Prince Metternich has already showed that he is not above backstabbing his own allies if it achieves his ends. Yet you would rather have Metternich in charge?
Great debate and big W for Esterházy! I didn't expect Széchenyi to appear as an opponent, but it fits well.
Franzi: *half snooty tone* *hushed voice* I'm not playing hide-and-seek. I'm just hiding so that Erzsi doesn't find me.
Stephan: *hushed voice* and why is my sister looking for you?
Franzi: because she's decided that we're going to get married. And have lots of children and-
Stephan: *seriously* and you don't want to get married.
Franzi: *terrifiedly* not to her I don't.
Quite the role reversal. Wasn't it kinda the opposite IOTL?

Stephan: *motions to Franzi to sit down on the sofa* *takes a seat in the revolving chair at the desk*
Franzi: *looks at it* does it spin all the way around?
Stephan: *demonstrates*
Franzi: that's more interesting than a collection of rocks.
Stephan: you like mechanics?
Franzi: Leopold [Archduke Rainer's son] is teaching me about them.
Stephan: and you're enjoying it.
Franzi: *nods as Bela pads up to investigate*
By any chance, are you paving the way for Franzi to embrace technological progress? No more "no armoured cars because they frighten the horses?"
Stephan: *suddenly serious* do you know what they're discussing at the Diet today?
I wonder how this whole convo will influence Franzi's character in the future?

*cut to Vienna*
Prince Metternich: *tosses a newspaper angrily into the fireplace* *as we see the flames licking at it greedily we see the headline "Hungarian Diet Passes Regency Bill for Duke of Reichstadt. Censorship Laws Relaxed"* *for an illustration, there is a boat on a lake [Balaton?]* *in the boat - at one end - are Metternich, Archdukes Johann, Ludwig and Rainier* *in the boat's prow that's lifted out of the water is Frankie standing with Franz [Joseph] trying to "balance" the boat* *on the dock, Archduke Joseph waits for the boat to arrive so he can step in, clearly on Frankie's end* *Teschen is shown on the edge of the picture asking "room for one more?"* *to which the cartoon Metternich gestures to the vacant seat beside him*
Metternich: *face almost purple with rage* *stalks out of room*

*fade to black*
You love to see it!
Also the lake in the cartoon could maybe be the Lake of Velence. It's halfway between Balaton and Buda. Velence is the Hungarian version of Venice, so it would be quite fitting, considering Frankie's "base of operation".

You absolutely did! This is amazing!

This is actually one of my favourite pieces of all time. At some point, I actually even wanted a recomposition of it to be made the new Anthem of Hungary.

Nice to see some actual development for the country. I really like the idea of wartime industrial relocation.

Will Franzi end up a train nerd enthusiast ITTL?
Why not?
FJ was pretty much under the radar in Hungary until his sudden ascendance to the throne in 1848. Him getting himself known with events like this will serve him good in the future.

Great debate and big W for Esterházy! I didn't expect Széchenyi to appear as an opponent, but it fits well.
Figured their wiki said Esterhazy was pro-monarchist conservative and Széchenyi and Batthyany didn't always agree on their degree of liberalism, so why not throw the three up against one another?
Quite the role reversal. Wasn't it kinda the opposite IOTL?
I haven't quite been able to get a read on it. FJ certainly disliked Stephan, but FWIG, that was mostly related to the whole mess of the 1848 and Metternich drilling an anti-Hungarian sentiment into his head. Here, Stephan has the gloss of being friends with Uncle Frankie.

As to him being "scared" of Stephan's half-sister, Elisabeth, the woman WAS a force to be reckoned with (even Alfonso XII said he would have rather married her than her daughter). It's not so much Franzi is terrified of the idea of marriage or children, more like this is that girl on the first date and she's already telling you she's picked out the church you're gonna get married in, how many kids she wants, what gender, their names, what school they're gonna go to etc. Only distinctly more terrifying because he's 13yo
By any chance, are you paving the way for Franzi to embrace technological progress? No more "no armoured cars because they frighten the horses?"
He won't have a complete fascination with new gadgets, but he won't be refusing to install electricity in the Hofburg because the light irritates his eyes. Also, AFAIK, the whole "armored car"/tank thing was planted by his staff - mostly cavalry officers - in his head. Then when the prototype was due to be presented, they deliberately put him on a skittish horse to underline the point.
I wonder how this whole convo will influence Franzi's character in the future?
I'd like to think that - by portraying Metternich as a Robespierre type - Stephan makes it that Franzi doesn't swallow Metternich's advice and choke on the spoon. I don't say he'll become a liberal, but he hopefully won't see everyone who disagrees with him as an enemy.
You love to see it!
Also the lake in the cartoon could maybe be the Lake of Velence. It's halfway between Balaton and Buda. Velence is the Hungarian version of Venice, so it would be quite fitting, considering Frankie's "base of operation".
I like that idea

I support it.
Figured their wiki said Esterhazy was pro-monarchist conservative and Széchenyi and Batthyany didn't always agree on their degree of liberalism, so why not throw the three up against one another?
Yep, it was a great idea!
I haven't quite been able to get a read on it. FJ certainly disliked Stephan, but FWIG, that was mostly related to the whole mess of the 1848 and Metternich drilling an anti-Hungarian sentiment into his head. Here, Stephan has the gloss of being friends with Uncle Frankie.

As to him being "scared" of Stephan's half-sister, Elisabeth, the woman WAS a force to be reckoned with (even Alfonso XII said he would have rather married her than her daughter). It's not so much Franzi is terrified of the idea of marriage or children, more like this is that girl on the first date and she's already telling you she's picked out the church you're gonna get married in, how many kids she wants, what gender, their names, what school they're gonna go to etc. Only distinctly more terrifying because he's 13yo
By role reversal, I meant that it was actually FJ who became interested in Elisabeth IOTL. It seems like it's the other way around ITTL.

As for Franzi and Stephan's OTL relationship, I don't know much about it. There certainly was mistrust between them (because of 1848).
I'd like to think that - by portraying Metternich as a Robespierre type - Stephan makes it that Franzi doesn't swallow Metternich's advice and choke on the spoon. I don't say he'll become a liberal, but he hopefully won't see everyone who disagrees with him as an enemy.
Now that's a development worth paying attention to!
I like that idea
I'm glad you like it.

Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte
Soundtrack: Giovanni Battista Pergolesi - Stabat Mater - Quando Corpus Morietur

*exterior Rome* *Palazzo Barberini* *we see a funeral cortège setting out from the palazzo with a coffin* *walking in procession behind it - bareheaded - are the duque de Cadix, the former duke of Lucca, the duchess of Lucca, the dowager Princess Maximilian of Saxony and the dowager queen of Spain* *behind them walk the duque's sons, Francisco and Duarte, and the duke of Lucca's son and heir* *the hearse clip-clops slowly down the street*
*cut to the coffin being hoisted from the hearse by six men - five of them Bonapartes: Paul, Louis, Pierre and Antoine of the Canino branch, and the king of Westphalia's youngest son; the sixth man being the duque de Cadix's son-in-law, Prince Poniatowski - in Spanish military uniform* *they carry the coffin to a grimly beating drum to a barge moored at the quayside*
*cut to the coffin being rowed out to a waiting ship flying the Spanish colors*
*cut to the coffin arriving in Cartagena* *the scene plays out in reverse* *the coffin is rowed ashore, the Bonapartes take it up and place it on a hearse* *the hearse is followed by a respectful D. Juan, Conde de Montizon, D. Fernando, duque de Marchena, D. Enrique, duque de Seville and Prince Poniatowski*
*cut to a solemn procession in Madrid after the coffin arrives at the train station*
*finally, we see the funeral service itself being held* *then the gravestone being slid into place that identifies the decedent as "Luisa Carlota, duquesa de Cadix, infanta of Spain, princess of Naples and Sicily"*
*we see Enrique, duque de Seville and his wife, Eugènie staring rather forlornly at the grave*

*cut to audience room of the palace* *the new French ambassador to Spain, the duc de Broglie, is speaking to Queen Isabel and D. Carlos de Montemolin*
Isabel II: Monsieur le Duc, we cannot tell you how pleased we are that our beloved cousin once more reigns in Paris.
Broglie: it is my master who is to be grateful to you, your Majesties, he was not sure whether you would accept the duc de Seville's marriage to allow him to return to Spain.
Isabel II: he need not have feared, to deny a son the chance to attend his mother's funeral would've been cruel and unusual punishment indeed.
Broglie: of course, your Majesty.
Isabel II: how is my aunt, the Duchesse de Berri?
Broglie: she is well, although she repeats her entreaties that your Majesty bear this as a reminder of the finitude of life to... reconcile with your mother.
Carlos: I suppose the duque de Cadix will return to Paris now that things are settled?
Broglie: if he so chooses, he may do so. The king has expressed no wish to the contrary.
Isabel II: and no doubt the queen will return to Paris as well?
Broglie: I cannot answer for her, your Majesty. As I understand it, the duc de Montmorot has several business dealings which keep him between Rome and Milan at the moment.
Isabel II: who is this duc de Montmorot and what does he have to do with the queen?
Carlos: duc de Montmorot is the title that the duc d'Orléans settled on Augustin Munoz.
Isabel II: will King Louis recognize the title? I'm told he is fiddling with much that the duc did during his... regency.
Broglie: I doubt he would wish to antagonize your Majesty by such an action.
Isabel II: you may tell him he may do as he deems fit. It little behoves that a Spaniard should receive a French title, but there it is.
Broglie: am I to understand that that is to be your Majesty's reply on the king's wish to recognize your uncle as the premier prince du sang in France?
Carlos: we do wish to know why the king wishes to be so generous he risks offending the British and the Austrians.
Broglie: the king wishes to... shore up the succession to his nephew. To indicate his clear displeasure for the actions of the Orléans clan.
Carlos: and when the duc dies? Will he retract his creation?
Broglie: not at all, your Majesty, he simply wishes to concretize the duc de Bordeaux's will that, should the male line of Charles X go extinct, that your Majesty's heirs should succeed. The recognition of the duc de Cadix as prince du sang is to aid in this endeavor, so that the Orléans do not try a repeat of their usurpation in 1830.
Isabel II: and that the king of France may have a few more rounds in his arsenal for diplomatic purposes?
Broglie: while the late Duchesse de Cadix had hoped for a match between her daughters and the duc de Bordeaux or the duc de Montpensier, his Majesty recognizes that that will no longer happen-
Isabel II: [gives 19th century Spanish equivalent of "damned straight it won't"]
Broglie: so his Majesty is willing to recognize them as princes of the blood and to arrange appropriate matches for them... Subject to your Majesty's approval of course.
Isabel II: why does something tell me he already has a match in mind?
Broglie: nothing definite. Although the prince de la Trémoïlle's sister was mentioned as a potential candidate for the duc de Cadix's heir. To tie him to an old French family to minimize his being seen as a foreigner.
Carlos: and not threatening enough should the unthinkable happen and King Charles' male line were to go extinct?
Broglie: quite, your Majesty. And he suggested the duc de Richelieu for the duc de Cadix's daughter, Louise.
Isabel II: and who does the king presume will be responsible for the dowry? Spain?
Broglie: no, your Majesty, with your permission of course, the French crown would settle the incomes of the former dukedom of Aumale - but not the title - on the duc de Cadix for life. Along with the duke dom of Gisors.
Isabel II: is Richelieu the only candidate available?
Broglie: as I understand it, Majesty, there are very few Catholic male royals of age still unwed. And of those, very few are interested in marrying a mere princesse du sang, either of France or Spain.
Carlos: *to Isabel* he makes a valid point. Not to mention that such marriages would also serve to undermine their importance in Spain.
Broglie: there is the other matter, your Majesties. The French will resent a foreigner being created a duke, even if he is a prince du sang. But they will resent an absentee landlord even more. Which means that the duc de Cadix will be unable to take up permanent residence in Spain should he accept the titles.
Isabel II: *looks first at Carlos* *then smiles* then you may tell his Majesty, Monsieur l'Ambassadeur, that we thank him for his kindness and generosity, and gladly give our consent to such a plan.

*fade to black*

I didn't know he was interested in any Elisabeth besides Sisi, so thanks for that tidbit of information.

BTW, the Erzsi is this gal (in case we're talking past one another) :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduchess_Elisabeth_Franziska_of_Austria
She was a candidate for Franz Joseph in OTL between her weddings, but in the end she was rejected as she was both older and already widowed by a junior Archduke so not good enough for the Emperor…
And talking about Franzi and marriage, I hope who here he will be able to marry his OTL first love (aka Anna of Prussia) and if Henri choose one of other girls, I would love seeing Max marrying Amelia of Brazil as was planned in OTL

She was a candidate for Franz Joseph in OTL between her weddings, but in the end she was rejected as she was both older and already widowed by a junior Archduke so not good enough for the Emperor…
pity. She seems like the dynamite needed to shake up the Hofburg :p

And talking about Franzi and marriage, I hope who here he will be able to marry his OTL first love (aka Anna of Prussia)
would Franzi have an opportunity to meet Anna here?

and if Henri choose one of other girls, I would love seeing Max marrying Amelia of Brazil as was planned in OTL
Frankie and Amélie have been going back-and-forth on Amelia marrying the grand duke of Tuscany's heir or the Saxon heir (both of which were considered for her OTL as well. It was only the Brasilians reluctance to pony up the dowry for Amélia that caused the match to fall through). I was considering pairing Max up with Sisi, to sort of strengthen the Habsburg "presence" in the Rhineland though

pity. She seems like the dynamite needed to shake up the Hofburg :p
Well, if she do NOT marry her first husband and will be decided to marry off Franzi early…
would Franzi have an opportunity to meet Anna here?
Well, they can meet at some event related to the German confederation and in any case his aunt is married to her uncle so…
Frankie and Amélie have been going back-and-forth on Amelia marrying the grand duke of Tuscany's heir or the Saxon heir (both of which were considered for her OTL as well. It was only the Brasilians reluctance to pony up the dowry for Amélia that caused the match to fall through). I was considering pairing Max up with Sisi, to sort of strengthen the Habsburg "presence" in the Rhineland though
That could work as Amelia would marry a ruler and Max and Sisi suited each other… but Helene where would end? She was the one who Ludovika wanted marry really well