Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

@gap80 During the Bellamy Adminstration, the BBA was said to be capable of being suspended if the GDP is in recession for three consecutive quarters in a row, through a declaration of war, or through a 2/3rds majority in the house and senate. The Wellstone Administration chapters have an article saying there are no such exemptions. Which one is correct? I really can't see a "no exceptions" BBA getting past liberal democrats and republicans, although I can see a conditional BBA getting widespread support due to Middle America's bipartisan fetish for balanced budgets.

I say bipartisan because my centrist Democrat dad stated that budgets should be balanced because the government functions like a household.

Last edited:
Oof, you mean I goofed up somewhere? In which Wellstone chapter is that passage? (so I can see what's up and address it)
My bad, it's in the first Grammer chapter.
“…Nobody can know what an incoming cash flow will be because nobody can accurately predict future economic activity. Because of this, the Balanced Budget Amendment works with budget projections more so than on hard figures. And as a result of that, the US Congress is able to tamper and tinker with said projections. However, the B.B.A. does not allow the U.S. Congress to suspend the B.B.A.’s budget requirements in times of national crisis such as war and financial crisis, because one of its biggest proponents, then-Senator Ronald Paul of Texas, a Republican libertarian, believed that such a clause would be used in every single year of every Democratic administration. However, it is possible for congress to pass a law to attach such a clause to the amendment without having to go through the grueling process of passing a whole other amendment…”

– TON, 5/2/2013 news report
Directly contradicted in the Bellamy chapters, or the Denton Administration somehow persuaded liberal republicans and democrats to agree to the biggest fiscal libertarian power grab of all time.

Then again, altering this could alter the Grammer administration's response to the 2013 recession.

@gap80 During the Bellamy Adminstration, the BBA was said to be capable of being suspended if the GDP is in recession for three consecutive quarters in a row, through a declaration of war, or through a 2/3rds majority in the house and senate. The Wellstone Administration chapters have an article saying there are no such exemptions. Which one is correct? I really can't see a "no exceptions" BBA getting past liberal democrats and republicans, although I can see a conditional BBA getting widespread support due to Middle America's bipartisan fetish for balanced budgets.

I say bipartisan because my centrist Democrat dad stated that budgets should be balanced because the government functions like a household.
Oof, you mean I goofed up somewhere? In which Wellstone chapter is that passage? (so I can see what's up and address it)
My bad, it's in the first Grammer chapter.

Directly contradicted in the Bellamy chapters, or the Denton Administration somehow persuaded liberal republicans and democrats to agree to the biggest fiscal libertarian power grab of all time.

Then again, altering this could alter the Grammer administration's response to the 2013 recession.
Hmm, good point!
I'll look at the Bellamy and Denton chapters again. Maybe I forgot to add a bit about Ron Paul getting the BBA changed at the last second to not exempt times of crisis and DC liberals dropped the ball on it somehow or something. Or maybe I'll do something simpler and edit the 2013 passage to it being that conservatives in congress refuse to suspend the BBA despite it being a crisis, which influences Grammer's response to be the same anyway. I think the latter sounds more plausible. Thoughts?
Man, that's a big plot hole. Thanks for point it out, I'll try and fix it...

EDIT: okay, I changed the 2013 passage so conservatives were blocking the exemption clause from being invoked.

Last edited:

Hmm, good point!
I'll look at the Bellamy and Denton chapters again. Maybe I forgot to add a bit about Ron Paul getting the BBA changed at the last second to not exempt times of crisis and DC liberals dropped the ball on it somehow or something. Or maybe I'll do something simpler and edit the 2013 passage to it being that conservatives in congress refuse to suspend the BBA despite it being a crisis, which influences Grammer's response to be the same anyway. I think the latter sounds more plausible. Thoughts?
Man, that's a big plot hole. Thanks for point it out, I'll try and fix it...

EDIT: okay, I changed the 2013 passage so conservatives were blocking the exemption clause from being invoked.
The latter option does sound more plausible than Ron Paul getting the BBA changed at the last second.

Right. But who else has been in office before Pritt?
FDR
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
Lyndon B. Johnson
Colonel Sanders
Walter Mondale
Jeremiah Denton
Jack Kemp
Carol Bellamy
Lee Iacocca
Larry Dinger
Jesse Jackson
Paul Wellstone
Kelsey Grammer
Harley Davidson Brown

Forgive me if I don't know how you've missed that.

One user was concerned that Harley Brown massively deregulating airport security would enable a terrorist attack to take place. I will say this, however, that the TSA IOTL has not thwarted a single terrorist attack in its twenty plus years of existence, and if it did, it's being awfully tight-lipped about it. Airport security will be just fine IMO.

The TSA has a 95 percent failure rate: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/top...-airport-security-charade-20150608-story.html

I am normally not a fan of deregulation, but I would enthusiatically cheer any president that deregulates airport security.

Last edited:
So, I just saw that James Patterson is still successful in this timeline. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, though this does lead me to ask a question: I recently found out through a documentary on Jeffery Epstein that Patterson had the misfortune of being one of Epstein's neighbors.

What would be the chances the two still ended up becoming neighbors for a brief period, and if that still happened, do you think Patterson would have still written a non-fiction book about Epstein?

Last edited:
So, I just saw that James Patterson is still successful in this timeline. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, though this does lead me to ask a question: I recently found out through a documentary on Jeffery Epstein that Patterson had the misfortune of being one of Epstein's neighbors.

What would be the chances the two still ended up becoming neighbors for a brief period, and if that still happened, do you think Patterson would have still written a non-fiction book about Epstein?
The probability of him becoming neighbors to Jeffrey Epstein is very unlikely due to the butterfly effect. That doesn't mean there won't be a neighbor that bears witness to Epstein's crimes and then writes a nonfiction book about it.

Deleted member 143718

Hi! This is my first TL, and I hope you all like it. I'm starting it today since today is the Colonel's birthday, and I'm planning on posting a chapter every Thursday or so starting next week. Questions and comments welcomed. Enjoy!

Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders TL

vp8pYtr.png

(Originally titled “President Sanders (Relax! This Isn’t Current Politics!): A KFC TL”)

By gap80
(With a giant credit of thanks to Gentleman Biaggi)

Prologue: A Brief Flash-Forward

"It always seems impossible until it is done"

– Nelson Mandela

“Consarn it! How many did we lose?”

“A lot.”

“Yes, but how many?”

“Dozens on our sides, over a thousand on their side at the least.”

"Oh, Dang-blast it,” Father’s face as turning red with rage.

“It’s a tactical victory, sir,” William commented.

Father was quick to reply, “Over a thousand, Bill! Have you forgotten what I said already?” Father groaned in frustration and returned to his spot on the couch, the situation weighing down on him like a flour sack on a runt mule. He folded his hands atop his cane as he mulled over his thoughts, venting the anger out through his nostrils until his breathing was calmer. Then he sighed to himself “Lord forgive me” before asking, “Any word on where Henry is?”

“Still waiting for a reply from his office, sir.”

Father sunk a bit in his seat. To me, he had a look that for most of his life he had rarely ever worn, but was wearing the look more and more often every day, it seemed. He looked like he was lost for what to do next.

I took a seat beside him, “Don’t worry, Pop. We’ll figure this out.”

Father turned to me with concern swimming in his eyes, “Do you remember when you had your tonsils removed, son?”

“Vaguely,” I answered, “I remember only being awake for half of the time that I should have been.”

“You got very sick. An infection, I think. I don’t know if it was somehow some common mistake or if the doctor was an idiot and he made a mistake. Maybe he didn’t wash his hands, maybe he wasn’t as careful as he should have been. But I remember how sick you got, I remember your fever, and the color leaving your face. For days you were bedridden and in and out of consciousness. I’ve been through a lot of things in my life, and that was the most terrifying of them, both then and even now. I was so frightened that I would lose you, my son. I tongue-lashed that doctor somethin’ fierce over it, I was so angry and frightened.” He rubbed his brow with his hand, “But all the shoutin' in the world couldn't keep me from feeling so…useless. I didn’t know what to do to help you. I kept thinking, ‘Oh Lord, why can’t I do anything? I can’t save my son.’ All I could do was pray. But then, by some chance, by some miracle, you recovered [1]. As simple as that, your color returned to your face and the illness left.”

“Maybe your anger scared the doc into workin’ better to save me,” I suggested.

“Maybe,” Father replied, “but that’s the thing. We can never know if something will work or make something happen until after the thing has happened. We tried this approach here, and it hasn’t worked. In my opinion, the situation is now worse. They could now be even more reluctant to sit down with us…one thousand, my god…”

After a brief moment of thought, I commented, “we fought fire with fire, but it wasn’t the right fire.” My eye wandered over to the picture of George Washington hanging on the wall nearby, and I commented, “You know, you remind me a lot of him, Father. He swore like a madman and still found glory in the darkest of times through sheer resilience. Crossing the Delaware in the frigid cold and all that.”

Father suddenly lifted in head in revelation, “By gummit, that’s it!”

“What is?”

“Junior, how’d we win the Revolutionary War? By standing in orderly lines? No, that’s what the British did and they lost! Gentlemen!” He now turned his attention to his other advisers, huddled around at the main table.

“Yes sir!” they all barked.

“We have to try a more effective approach. We tried to go in there with our most advanced tools and this was the response,” holding up one of the photos. “No, no, we have to be more clandestine. Gentlemen, I think we need to seriously organize an 'un-criticize-able' response to this mess. We need to tweak our traditional approaches. But not only that! There’s also something else on my mind.”

“You got some ideas, Pop?” I asked curiously, a small grin forming on my face.

“Oh, just wait, Junior,” Father chuckled, “Like my chicken before it’s fried, we ain’t licked yet!”

– Harland David “Harley” Sanders Jr., In the Thick of It: The Story of The Colonel and His Son, Sunrise Publishing, 1991

NOTE
[1] The POD: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72197162/harland-david-sanders

...You'll find out eventually... :biggrin:

I hope it will be interesting...thanks!

I'm not going to spoil my own TL, but I will tell you that he will meet and interact with both of them

Indeed I did!

You also helped with choosing the title, the title card, with ironing out the details of the POD and with planning out key plot points! Don't sell yourself short; you were a big help! Thank you! :)

Lol, maybe... :p

There's no evidence suggesting he was racist that I could find. In fact, I found more to suggest that he was pretty progressive and forward-thinking for his time (which I'll cover in more detail in upcoming chapters). IMO, Wallace likely offered it to him not due to racial views but more likely because of The Colonel's fame, businesses success, being a known Republican (so the ticket would have been more bipartisan in nature had it unfolded that way I guess) and most likely because of his OTL comments regarding protestors and J. Edgar Hoover, which will also be covered in an upcoming chapter as well.

Thanks for all the comments and positive feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it!

5/2/2021 EDIT: Also, here’s a link to a photos thread for this TL, created on 3/1/2021 by @PNWKing: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/photos-from-kentucky-fried-politics.506103/
Of all the historical timelines I've ever come across, this one is the most fascinating of all. For my TL, I wanted to have Colonel Sanders also become President as well as his son, Harly Sanders Jr., survive… but with my own take on it. Is it quite possible I might utilize just this fact alone for my TL (again, with my own take)? If no, then that's OK.

Of all the historical timelines I've ever come across, this one is the most fascinating of all. For my TL, I wanted to have Colonel Sanders also become President as well as his son, Harly Sanders Jr., survive… but with my own take on it. Is it quite possible I might utilize just this fact alone for my TL (again, with my own take)? If no, then that's OK.
I don't think gap80 would mind if it isn't plagiarized. I have a plan for a spinoff TL myself (that likely won't become canon)
Other spinoffs I would like to see is "Kentucky-Fried Video Games" and "Kentucky-Fried Sports" TL. However, predicting the world of sports and video games would require extensive knowledge of their OTL history, along with a knowledge of how TTL would affect the butterflies surrounding their existence.

I 100% agree with you man when I say that I am in love with this timeline, especially in all of the little details and events that occur throughout it regarding events and people both famous and obscure, alongside how it shows how this world is better off and more progressive than ours in many ways.

If you want to do your own take on this if gap approves then go right ahead and do what you like and take your time with it!