Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

While listening to Dan Carlin's King of Kings series, I heard a claim that Alexander the G was not some sort of great "civilizer" but rather a brute on the level of those who destroyed the Roman Empire/Han China. How true is this?
I mean I think watering anything down to barbarian king destroys the civilized world is massively summarizing things in not a good way. But on the other hand Alexander smashed the largest, most advanced and multicultural empire of the day to pieces in brutal fashion. So yeah makes sense I guess.

I've been doing a lot of digging recently into the Hawaiian Kingdom, and there's a question that has left me stumped for a while, that being the cause of death of Kamehameha IV. The obituary published after his death doesn't make it clear what he died from , though it does say "no reports of general illness had been made" and that he had been in poor health for a while. If anyone could help me find an answer I'd really appreciate it!

I've always considered 'The American Civil War' to be an odd name, it wasn't a civil war between two rival governments where the victor would take control of the country, it was a section of the country that wanted to (illegally) secede, so what if it was a traditional civil war, say the south doesn't recognise Lincoln as the legitimate winner of the 1860 election and instead recognises Breckinridge as the winner, how would this play out?

I've always considered 'The American Civil War' to be an odd name, it wasn't a civil war between two rival governments where the victor would take control of the country, it was a section of the country that wanted to (illegally) secede, so what if it was a traditional civil war, say the south doesn't recognise Lincoln as the legitimate winner of the 1860 election and instead recognises Breckinridge as the winner, how would this play out?
"War of Secession" could be the alternative.

trying to find an old thread and can't find it through the search function, was a thread inspired by Turtledove's Atlantis but had said continent settled by Jewish and Cathar settlers during the middle ages instead, admittedly this is more of a ASB type thing but this seemed like the best place to ask

WI Margaret Beaufort (My Lady The King's Mother) was born male? Would he claim the throne for himself? Would it be possible for him to (somehow) only have one daughter whom he was deeply ambitious for and eventually he succeeded in putting her on the throne of England (as either consort or sovereign)?

@VVD0D95 @EdwardRex @isabella

VVD0D95

Banned
WI Margaret Beaufort (My Lady The King's Mother) was born male? Would he claim the throne for himself? Would it be possible for him to (somehow) only have one daughter whom he was deeply ambitious for and eventually he succeeded in putting her on the throne of England (as either consort or sovereign)?

I think he’d probably become a player in the war of the roses much sooner than Margaret did otl. If events go as otl. He may well put himself forward for the throne. And he may succeed.

Too many butterflies… Male Margaret would prevent Edmund Beaufort from inheriting his brother’s titles and would be Duke of Somerset since infancy and that could change many things around

I think he’d probably become a player in the war of the roses much sooner than Margaret did otl. If events go as otl. He may well put himself forward for the throne. And he may succeed.
I do not think as Somerset would be unable to claim the Crown before Henry VI and Westminster were dead and at that point he also would be likely dead…
Still no Margaret around mean who Henry VI would not have an heiress with a claim to the crown for his half-brother and so the Tudors would never rise to power

Why? He'd be a lot younger (and healthier, without the childbirth)
I'm assuming, with a birth date of 1441 or 1443, he'd have fought in at least most of the battles of the WOTR on the Lancastrian side. He could quite easily die at Towton or be executed for treason by the Yorkists. He doesn't have the protection that Henry and Edward of Lancaster had OTL, that of being an anointed King and his acknowledged heir.

Why? He'd be a lot younger (and healthier, without the childbirth)
Margaret was much older than Westminster. Keep in mind who John (as male Margaret would be likely called after his father AND paternal grandfather) would most likely live in exile since 1461 (as he would be already 18 years old then) and would be 28 years old at the time of Edward IV’s reconquest of his Crown and most of the Lancastrian commanders were killed in that battles (all the sons of Edmund Beaufort, Westminster plus Warwick and his brother were among the casualties and I can NOT see John having a different fate. Jasper Tudor had been able to escape as he most likely had NOT been on the battlefields but John of Somerset would be undoubtedly there, that if he had NOT been already killed in the Yorkist takeover ten years earlier

Wait. Why wasn't he?
No idea, likely he had the command of some strategical castle or the job of keeping Wales for King Henry and so he was neither at Barnet or Tewkesbury but had his nephew Henry with himself and so was able to made more mischiefs. Oxford was practically the only Lancastrian commander to escape Barnet without being killed or at least captured and that was mostly because he and his men had been mistaken for the enemy by their allies and so forced to retreat and leave the battlefield

No idea, but she will most likely marry in the higher ranks of the peerage as she was smart, ambitious and well connected enough
Hm. I've seen a TL where she marries MUCH higher than an English peer ("An Imperial Match") but I'm wondering if she could pull off an Eleanor of Aquitaine: queen of France, then England...