The Death of Russia - TL

With Russia even more chaotic, I already foresee the cult being given even more weapons (Since the cult did receive weapons and a helicopter from Russian ties in OTL).
OTOH, the arms smugglers/dealers would find much better deals reselling old Soviet gear to the Russian warlords at a high markup than to a single cult in a stable nation. Why try and smuggle to a nation that is not going through disintegration when you can get almost any price you want from warlords who don't care where weapons are from as long as they work?

OTOH, the arms smugglers/dealers would find much better deals reselling old Soviet gear to the Russian warlords at a high markup than to a single cult in a stable nation. Why try and smuggle to a nation that is not going through disintegration when you can get almost any price you want from warlords who don't care where weapons are from as long as they work?
Especially since those Russian ties might lead to Japan deciding to move them considerably up the threat list, and respond accordingly. No sense risking them as a escape route for any war criminals.

dfib3ar-17966ce2-83f2-4b02-9ee0-1cb7f7586bf8.png

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of big map updates, had some minor health problems but now I'm 100% okay.
Here's a map of former Russia on September 1 1995.
I think the image's broken. It's not showing up, and I won't load it if I open it in another tab, at least on my end.

That dude, I know that guy... the moment he somehow becomes a major player is the moment that God is real, and he is malevolent
Well, it does fit with how Shafarevich is a major figure in the Nationalists (and probably thinking "at least no one believes Alexei is still alive" with New Chronology being part of every Nashist child's education).

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Karpukhin himself was hit by the Mafia and would slowly bleed out at the airport. He died staring at the peaceful green and blue of the Aurora above him, while the orange and red flames of war tore the airport to shreds beside him.
Similar to prince Bolkonsky in Tolstoy's " War and Peace". Under blue skies of Austerlitz.

The Sarin's already come out to play in Moscow so nukes aren't too far off. Lebed likely gets caught in the crossfire of a limited exchange within Russia that leaves European Russia a wasteland with warlord states the size of the average Oblast while Siberia gets off a bit light.

It's not just as bad as Sarin coming into play; it's even worse. Sarin at least degrades naturally and relatively quickly (water neutralizes it), meaning that wherever it is dropped will still be inhabitable after some time, but VX is a persistent agent; it needs to have a dedicated cleanup process to make the area habitable again as otherwise it just stays around. So basically, goodbye Moscow, it was nice knowing you...

I wonder if military spending has increased along with nations' MICs. Alot of countries are probably trying to find ways to ensure they don't get caught up in the insanity within Russia or at least dissuade them from trying to export the chaos.

Poland, Lithuania, and potentially Ukraine and Belarus are likely to be asking for more modern MBTs, combat aircraft, ATGMs, MLRS, etc To keep Russia out.

Actually, did Belarus lose any territory to the NSF? If not, I definitely see them applying for NATO membership ASAP.

Remember, Belarus and Ukraine are nuclear weapons states as a deterrent against Russia, with NATO's full approval and even support, as they can't join NATO yet. They're definitely importing military hardware from the West and reactivating/scaling up their domestic defense industries, though.

And yes, I expect that the peace dividend after the fall of the USSR is pretty much dead by now, with military spending being closer to Cold War levels than what it would be at this time IOTL. Though probably not fully Cold War levels; Germany isn't in the same position to need its vast tank fleets as much, for example. Much of NATO's second- and third-tier equipment is probably being given to the ex-Soviet and ex-Warsaw Pact states rather than being kept.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
Remember, Belarus and Ukraine are nuclear weapons states as a deterrent against Russia, with NATO's full approval and even support, as they can't join NATO yet. They're definitely importing military hardware from the West and reactivating/scaling up their domestic defense industries, though.

And yes, I expect that the peace dividend after the fall of the USSR is pretty much dead by now, with military spending being closer to Cold War levels than what it would be at this time IOTL. Though probably not fully Cold War levels; Germany isn't in the same position to need its vast tank fleets as much, for example. Much of NATO's second- and third-tier equipment is probably being given to the ex-Soviet and ex-Warsaw Pact states rather than being kept.

What will be interesting is seeing how much of the former Soviet Navy went to the halves of the former NSF, given the Baltic Fleet has sided mostly with the RF remnant.

NATO is probably keeping a very close lookout for the remaining submarines of the former Arctic fleet.

Another question is who has Admiral Kuznetzov, or rather, whatever is left of that carrier.

What will be interesting is seeing how much of the former Soviet Navy went to the halves of the former NSF, given the Baltic Fleet has sided mostly with the RF remnant.

NATO is probably keeping a very close lookout for the remaining submarines of the former Arctic fleet.

Another question is who has Admiral Kuznetzov, or rather, whatever is left of that carrier.
Also, don't forget the fate of the Mir space station whether or not NASA will take control or order a guided deorbit of the space station and how China can able to use fleeing Russian engineers, scientists, experts, and others to fuel the space exploration earlier including the use of Baikonur as a new launchpad for China-based missions.