The Death of Russia - TL

Ming777

Monthly Donor
I wonder if military spending has increased along with nations' MICs. Alot of countries are probably trying to find ways to ensure they don't get caught up in the insanity within Russia or at least dissuade them from trying to export the chaos.

Poland, Lithuania, and potentially Ukraine and Belarus are likely to be asking for more modern MBTs, combat aircraft, ATGMs, MLRS, etc To keep Russia out.

Actually, did Belarus lose any territory to the NSF? If not, I definitely see them applying for NATO membership ASAP.

Pangur

Donor
I wonder if military spending has increased along with nations' MICs. Alot of countries are probably trying to find ways to ensure they don't get caught up in the insanity within Russia or at least dissuade them from trying to export the chaos.

Poland, Lithuania, and potentially Ukraine and Belarus are likely to be asking for more modern MBTs, combat aircraft, ATGMs, MLRS, etc To keep Russia out.

Actually, did Belarus lose any territory to the NSF? If not, I definitely see them applying for NATO membership ASAP.
Belarus would not meet the entry criteria right now

The world has entered a Second Great Depression owing to the mass uncertainty following the world's largest nuclear power imploding. The supply lines being shut are the other major contributing factor.
This is going to be a major problem for China in the mid term. And a boon in the long run.
With this example the Western nations aren't going to expose their supply chains to the potential risk of something similar happening in the PRC. Anti-China protectionists will be elected if the OTL gouvernments won't take steps to limit investment and exposure. Investment will go to the smaller Tiger states for the unspoken reason, that those can always be leaned on if necessary.

So why a boon in the long run? Because once a class of rich industrialists eventually forms in the PRC those will puch significantly harder for political reform than OTL, as they know that China will never be fully integrated into the global markets without going democratic.

This is going to be a major problem for China in the mid term. And a boon in the long run.
With this example the Western nations aren't going to expose their supply chains to the potential risk of something similar happening in the PRC. Anti-China protectionists will be elected if the OTL gouvernments won't take steps to limit investment and exposure. Investment will go to the smaller Tiger states for the unspoken reason, that those can always be leaned on if necessary.

So why a boon in the long run? Because once a class of rich industrialists eventually forms in the PRC those will puch significantly harder for political reform than OTL, as they know that China will never be fully integrated into the global markets without going democratic.
There's also the possibility of the CCP trying to turtle down by doubling down on the oppression, only more so when the hardline position becomes popular again on their part.

Perhaps, we can have the "Death of China" as well due to the poor country engulfed by the paranoia generated by the Second Cultural Revolution.

And then - who knows? the Middle East? Iran? the United States? All of which have issues that they're having a hard time dealing with.

By that...

joker-all-it-takes.gif

dfib3ar-17966ce2-83f2-4b02-9ee0-1cb7f7586bf8.png

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of big map updates, had some minor health problems but now I'm 100% okay.
Here's a map of former Russia on September 1 1995.
I'd personally give Kaliningrad the 1991-1993 flag as it was Russia's flag at the time of the POD and I doubt changing minor details on the flag was high up on the priority list of Gaidar in exile, unless Sorairo says otherwise (or that Nemtsov changed the flag to the "normal" tricolor).

Last edited:
Love the TL.

I am curious what the dynamic is between the Circassians and the Karachay-Balkars in the new Circassia?

Regarding the Komi republic, I imagine there next priority would be to move into the Komi-Permyak Okrug, as it is a majority Komi region on their border. Plus it would bring them within a hair's breath of having a direct land link to the Ural Republics.

I feel bad for poor Arkady. Hopefully he finds some solace in the end.
I suspect that his being able to write at all meant that the Russian Soviet Republic will eventually implode; that said, I don't think the Nashists managing to subjugate a large part of European Russia bodes well for its own fate as well as that of Europe's.

So... how?

I suspect that his being able to write at all meant that the Russian Soviet Republic will eventually implode; that said, I don't think the Nashists managing to subjugate a large part of European Russia bodes well for its own fate as well as that of Europe's.

So... how?
Nemtsov pulling off Russian!Project National Glory with NATO support?

Nemtsov pulling off Russian!Project National Glory with NATO support?
like hell we know - but whatever happens, it would certainly put the United States at DEFCON 2; hell, I won't be surprised if a limited exchange does happen due to the shambolic state of Russian militaries

Nah, China looks at Death and just calls it Yesterday
Honestly of what happened to China with Mass death and famine in the 20th century.

Yeah I like to say that it will just be a regular occurrence
the chaos of the dynastic cycle but for the entirety of Asia

and unlike past civil wars - they already have Maoist iconoclasts and Han supremacists that can do permanent damage to the fabric of their culture and very sense of nationhood, and you can just look at Russia to see where all those led them

the chaos of the dynastic cycle but for the entirety of Asia
So your average dynastic cycle
they already have [...] that can do permanent damage to the fabric of their culture and very sense of nationhood
Like they had the manchus, the mongols, the japanese, the communists themselves and that one guy who proclaimed himself Jesus's brother
None of those are anything new
And by that I dont mean you cant make a TL where you absolutely balkanize China forever, you can and it has been done before many times
It just doesnt have the appeal this has I think
We've seen Rome & China dying too many times both in fiction and real life, meanwhile this is fresh and I like that

Oh god - it's as if Russia isn't bad enough - the Second Great Depression can also significantly destabilise South East Asian states; chiefly among them - Indonesia is still under the thumb of Suharto, and the Philippines whose shaky democracy under Ramos' presidency is further addled by inheriting the question of its economic oligarchy as well as the persistent undercurrent of Marcos-inspired populism.

Pray tell, how does that region deal with the fall-out of this economic collapse? I really suspect that Soeharto will start to make moves to secure his regime and make it harder to depose him without a civil war, and for Ramos' administration to be likewise shaken by mass protests and coups (EDSA Dos, anyone?).
So your average dynastic cycle
What I meant is this toppling like dominoes over Iran and the Middle East for the next two decades, where the chaos will contribute towards intensifying each other.

All the human warfare that happened in history will pale in comparison to the gigantic warzone that can span from Jerusalem to Vladivostok.

That said though - the last update about the FEK did indicate that China still hasn't collapsed, so perhaps the possibility of being explored and written can already be discounted.
Like they had the manchus, the mongols, the japanese, the communists themselves and that one guy who proclaimed himself Jesus's brother
None of those are anything new
And by that I dont mean you cant make a TL where you absolutely balkanize China forever, you can and it has been done before many times
It just doesnt have the appeal this has I think
We've seen Rome & China dying too many times both in fiction and real life, meanwhile this is fresh and I like that
Sure, but the recovery won't be half a century's worth like OTL, but centuries, as the political fragmentation has the potential to top one that happened in the Sixteen Kingdoms period; or, at least this can be likened with the constant warfare that will "just" be on the level of the Six Dynasties period.

Last edited:
Oh god - it's as if Russia isn't bad enough - the Second Great Depression can also significantly destabilise South East Asian states; chiefly among them, Indonesia is still under the thumb of Suharto, and the Philippines whose shaky democracy over Ramos is further addled by inheriting the question of its economic oligarchy as well as the persistent undercurrent of Marcos-inspired populism.
Yeah its 1930 all over again and in Russia alone we already got discount Hitler & Stalin
Things are bound to get worse
All the human warfare that happened in history will pale in comparison to the warzone that can span from Jerusalem to Vladivostok.
Indeed

Oh god - it's as if Russia isn't bad enough - the Second Great Depression can also significantly destabilise South East Asian states; chiefly among them, Indonesia is still under the thumb of Suharto, and the Philippines whose shaky democracy over Ramos is further addled by inheriting the question of its economic oligarchy as well as the persistent undercurrent of Marcos-inspired populism.

Pray tell, how does that region deal with the fall-out of this economic collapse? I really suspect that Soeharto will start to make moves to secure his regime and make it harder to depose him without a civil war, and for Ramos' administration to be likewise shaken by mass protests (EDSA Dos, anyone?)
And what about the Aum Shinrikyo and its roles? For the Philippines, I guess the protests will be continued until the upcoming elections in 1998.