I deduce fromt his post you are younger than me as I have no idea what that means... (i was born in the 80s)
80s kid
Nice perspective from someone who act experience the Cold war, the experience and I also thank you for it
Also if you don't know about it here is mate

Basically it just I'll agree with you on what you said

The common answer to the question "Where would you want to be if the bomb ever dropped" was "Right underneath it with all my family". The not unreasonable assumption was that after a nuclear war the living would envy the dead.

The common answer to the question "Where would you want to be if the bomb ever dropped" was "Right underneath it with all my family". The not unreasonable assumption was that after a nuclear war the living would envy the dead.
If one happened today I would rather be incinerated immediatley with my loved ones because if you were right by it, you wouldnt even have time to feel pain before you were dead from the cobined effect of heat, shockwaves and radiation.

Agreed. The destruction of the major world power blocs would probably cause a violent realignment, as othr countries try to take control, plus famine, disease etc as you say, the effects of fallout, and violent clashes with remnant militaries of the world powers. I imagine India is faced with war with the relict Chinese state trying to secure safe land, as mentioned elsewhere, area denial style nuclear bombs hit lot sof suurviving states.

Tech would be jury rigged, patched up and rusting, with newer products being lower quality to do the same job - so going from a wealthy person in south america having a car to them having a basic jeep/truck/citroen C1 knockoff (ie a car thats easy to repair), going from small portable radios back to bigger heavier ones, TVs becoming basically useless as time wears on as there's no expansion of tv networks as they cant build many new ones, but cinemas still exist, showing old films - but i imagine old american films are reviled, with the us being blamed as part of the people ended the world. Think cuba, in a way - old cars maintained as long as possible, buildings in disrepair, everything being secondhand or older and people making a living repairing things, with authoritarian governments rationing food, drafting civilians into 'land armies' to farm whats useable, but with added issues - cancer even more commonplce, birth defects more common even in non directly targetted areas, horses and donkeys being used for much transport. Locally made alcohol, an old gramophone, and some bread and bland vegetable stew made from the designated daily rations. Hospitals relying on basically herbal remedies, basic surgery, and doctors being trained up by older doctors, skills being lost as the equipment they involved cannto be replaced. Low level fighting in surviving nations as they squabble about the new order, and refugees living in squalid conditions and forming gangs - violence between soviet refugees and nato refugees, violence between host populations and refugees. Bands of refugees, aligned with remanant militaries trying to carve out safe havens, marauding their way around. military hardware degrading and running out of ammunition, with reversion back to bolt action rifles with locally made cartridges. After a few generations, the cities are decaying and violent, with the countryside dominated by state run farms worked by exhausted labourers. Expeditions to the northern countries reporting overgrown ruins, open mass graves filled with bones, small isolated communities of paranoid groups of survivors suffering terrible trauma, subsistence farming because supplies have long since run out, undernourished, xenophobic, under the sway of local strongmen, possibly fanatically religious or alternatively total atheists, with deformed children with damaged devlopment. Everyone refusing to talk about the immediate aftermath of the war, and how they survived.
Isn't that basically the world of Threads in many parts of the world that are nuked? Though I would like to think much of it would be akin to OTL's third world countries with less electricity and modern convivences (if not none).

Isn't that basically the world of Threads in many parts of the world that are nuked? Though I would like to think much of it would be akin to OTL's third world countries with less electricity and modern convivences (if not none).
Ive not seen all of threads - id hate to, its too awful - but yes. Much of the world would be like a slum district - people in divided up old apartments, street markets with second hand goods, pollution, farm animals and beasts of burden roaming the streets, mopeds, bicycles, old trucks and tracktors ont he roads where they have fuel, most lighting from candles, oil lamps or very limited electricity as long as the bulbs can be remade when they burst, gunshots in the night, police officers on trucks with rifles, queues outside rationing points and understaffed hospitals...

marathag

Banned
with the us being blamed as part of the people ended the world.
Wasn't US bombs falling on Western Europe and Japan, and anywhere else around the Globe where the USSR was planning to fling nukes.
Thru the 1960s, much of the Western Worlds consumer goods came from the USA, then increasing from Japan and then Taiwan after that
WWIII, no more of that stuff.

Ive not seen all of threads - id hate to, its too awful - but yes. Much of the world would be like a slum district - people in divided up old apartments, street markets with second hand goods, pollution, farm animals and beasts of burden roaming the streets, mopeds, bicycles, old trucks and tracktors ont he roads where they have fuel, most lighting from candles, oil lamps or very limited electricity as long as the bulbs can be remade when they burst, gunshots in the night, police officers on trucks with rifles, queues outside rationing points and understaffed hospitals...
As I've said, it's just as depressing as everyone says it is, even as someone who believes nuclear war is "winnable"; besides, it seems no one has brought up Twilight 2000 as one take on the soldiers in a post-nuclear environment, even though the nuclear exchange in that scenario might as well be a full-scale one.

I was thinking of doing some snapshot shorts from the expedition papers I jotted earlier as a thread. The expedition moves along the eastern us, canada, Greenland, Iceland, faroe, shetland, Skye, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the channel islands, the south coast uk, then along the french coast to Portugal and spain, then Madeira, canaries, west Africa, st helena, Brazil. It comprises 3 armed steam/diesel ships, 3 colliers, a support ship with two sea planes and multiple unmanned balloons, and a company of marines. Tech is a mix of mid 20th and 19th century, and they document survivor communities 60 years after a nuclear war and the following famines, plagues and wars.

Absolutley - does the tech decay beyond usefulness before or after the means to make/repair it disappears?

Early 20th century cars were often repaired at Blacksmiths, I believe, with m any blacksmiths becoming petrol stations and mechanics shops; very basic cars could still be around, provided there is fuel - be it petrol, ethanol, wood gas, or steam.

Best case scenario is a generation living as a giant sanctions era cuba, stuff is old and repaired but the parts and equipment to repair it remain, th en in a couple of generations the industrial base has grown and these areas start to see mroe new, but still pretty basic and hard wearing, things being made. After a century or so, you would have stable nations slowly recovering, and expeditions to establish contact with the remanants of the destroyed nations - steamships, biplanes/seaplanes. radio, telegrams, tv for the elite or usedin public venues, established exile communities of survivors, re-opened universities teaching doctors and engineers but perhaps to 1920s - 1940s standards.

Worst case scenario - tech degrades too fast for the industrial base to be built. Societies struggle to cope, and without modern farming improvements, population growth is sluggish, and disease remains high as the medical profession reverts to basically first aid and common remedies. Governments break down amidst starvation and panic. Cities become ghost towns, unable to support enough population. after 100 years, populations are overwhelmingly rural, insular and at mid 19th century level.

This is more a modern problem than one for the 1960s and 1970s. There are still plenty of rural farmers who can get on without electricity and many of the survivors will likely have had *some* exposure to agriculture, or at the least went through the lean times of the Great Depression.

You want a real nightmare scenario - put something like this in the present day...

This is more a modern problem than one for the 1960s and 1970s. There are still plenty of rural farmers who can get on without electricity and many of the survivors will likely have had *some* exposure to agriculture, or at the least went through the lean times of the Great Depression.

You want a real nightmare scenario - put something like this in the present day...
Oh indeed, but the issue would be that tech free subsistence farming would be the new norm, not a vanishing relic of the past.

I was thinking of doing some snapshot shorts from the expedition papers I jotted earlier as a thread. The expedition moves along the eastern us, canada, Greenland, Iceland, faroe, shetland, Skye, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the channel islands, the south coast uk, then along the french coast to Portugal and spain, then Madeira, canaries, west Africa, st helena, Brazil. It comprises 3 armed steam/diesel ships, 3 colliers, a support ship with two sea planes and multiple unmanned balloons, and a company of marines. Tech is a mix of mid 20th and 19th century, and they document survivor communities 60 years after a nuclear war and the following famines, plagues and wars.
How did this expedition started? Did some remnant government of the US and the other countries contact the Brazilians? I'd imagine so given the obvious reason I mentioned earlier in one of my posts on this thread about recoveries.

How did this expedition started? Did some remnant government of the US and the other countries contact the Brazilians? I'd imagine so given the obvious reason I mentioned earlier in one of my posts on this thread about recoveries.
I was thinking that there is a period of instability in Latam, with realignment and refugees etc, and that at the end of it, they attempt to create a new UN based in Rio. The remnants of the us navy mainly went to the Caribbean, and I'm pondering having Hawaii damaged but not as totally as much of the rest of the us, with a government in exile that lacks much reach. They build new ships but to save vitally needed steel etc they use Amazon timber to build wooden hulled ships; theres no real chance of meeting an armoured ship so wood with metal plating is sufficient. The ships are steam powered for propulsion with diesel generators. I'm picturing three armed ships, three colliers, and a supply ship that also carries a pair of biplanes with both land and water landing gear and a set of helium balloons to carry instrumentation and camera gear on a tether over dangerous areas, and they carry a company of marines armed with bolt a ton rifles, mortars, and a couple of ww2 era machine guns. The government of Hawaii still claims authority over the us, but has no means of enforcing it so is grumpy about the expeditions and demands to have ambassadors aboard them. Australia is host to large numbers of British survivors as well as more American ones including originally diplomats and politicians, and that American group claims IT is the government in exile, so the un doesn't let either go. The British retain st helena, the Falklands, a few other islands, and maybe even Bermuda, as well as uk survivors being part of the Caribbean communities. The french have guadeloupe and a couple of others too. The dutch are basically all in the Caribbean. Things in latam aren't great, theres even more slums, more violence, more poverty, more disease and crime, but it still resembles civilisation at least. The new un wants to show its reach and pro activity, so funds several expeditions. Over the course of these they map the devastation, survivors, and true course of events. Think post apocalyptic semi steam/dieselpunk meets captain cook. Of course the tragedy is that humanity is still fighting, still plotting, still putting narrow interest over global good.

I was thinking that there is a period of instability in Latam, with realignment and refugees etc, and that at the end of it, they attempt to create a new UN based in Rio. The remnants of the us navy mainly went to the Caribbean, and I'm pondering having Hawaii damaged but not as totally as much of the rest of the us, with a government in exile that lacks much reach. They build new ships but to save vitally needed steel etc they use Amazon timber to build wooden hulled ships; theres no real chance of meeting an armoured ship so wood with metal plating is sufficient. The ships are steam powered for propulsion with diesel generators. I'm picturing three armed ships, three colliers, and a supply ship that also carries a pair of biplanes with both land and water landing gear and a set of helium balloons to carry instrumentation and camera gear on a tether over dangerous areas, and they carry a company of marines armed with bolt a ton rifles, mortars, and a couple of ww2 era machine guns. The government of Hawaii still claims authority over the us, but has no means of enforcing it so is grumpy about the expeditions and demands to have ambassadors aboard them. Australia is host to large numbers of British survivors as well as more American ones including originally diplomats and politicians, and that American group claims IT is the government in exile, so the un doesn't let either go. The British retain st helena, the Falklands, a few other islands, and maybe even Bermuda, as well as uk survivors being part of the Caribbean communities. The french have guadeloupe and a couple of others too. The dutch are basically all in the Caribbean. Things in latam aren't great, theres even more slums, more violence, more poverty, more disease and crime, but it still resembles civilisation at least. The new un wants to show its reach and pro activity, so funds several expeditions. Over the course of these they map the devastation, survivors, and true course of events. Think post apocalyptic semi steam/dieselpunk meets captain cook. Of course the tragedy is that humanity is still fighting, still plotting, still putting narrow interest over global good.
Sounds like it's best put in another thread, perhaps a TL that can rival the likes of Protect & Survive in terms of, well, subject matter.

Let's say this nuclear exchange occurs between 1966 and 1970, assuming the contingency operations of every major power goes as planned and civilization manages to rebuild, what would a post-nuclear world look like say 30 to 40 years after? How would this affect culture including music, cars, and social taboos? Would there be more war or less war in general?

First there would be death. Lots and lots of death. Survivors would likely be malnourished, vulnerable, and will probably start to organize before the CoG plans come into effect. While the old governments will rise per plans, that doesn't mean everyone accepts them. Civil wars will arise and more likely at least a few of the old governments will fall. By the time requested in the OP the world has settles into a new equilibrium but with a few twists.

Most people use bicycles and mass transit with less electricity and more overall conservation. Waste is seen as a social stigma and there are no McMansions, mostly apartment buildings and condominiums in 'clean' areas. Governments still squabble over resources but competition is more on space exploration and proxy wars then direct war. Nuclear weapons are banned but every major nation has a few dozen under strict lock and key. While more efficient and safer, the world looks like one part 1920s, one lart 1950s, one part 1960s, and one part 1980s. Consumer technology looks like the McCarthy era while military tech looks more like the Vietnam War with isolated areas more advanced.

Do we have any indication which was it would have been?
Drakonfin - in his majestic Land of Sad Songs (a Finnish take on Protect and Survive) posits that Finland would be targeted by US missiles on the basis that it would be occupied by USSR. It may also have received soviet strikes too

China may have received a dose from both countries too