I got to say there is a lot of Northern bias on this thread. "After us , the deluge".

Humanity will survive in the South. Technology will fall back. There will be deprivation. But the south is also better equipped to hand such a fall back in 1970 since people still have basic life skills.

On the whole you should at least see some places maintain a 1930s standard depending on exactly who and what survives.

Nuclear+war.jpg

Now Things will still grow after a full exchange, but will not be too useful for humans to eat, but wildife in the Fukushima and Chernobyl exclusion zones have thrived
You'll eat what grows and accept the risk of cancer months or years from now or starve in 3 weeks. Basically, you'll eat whatever won't immediately kill you and hope for the best.

I got to say there is a lot of Northern bias on this thread. "After us , the deluge".

Humanity will survive in the South. Technology will fall back. There will be deprivation. But the south is also better equipped to hand such a fall back in 1970 since people still have basic life skills.

On the whole you should at least see some places maintain a 1930s standard depending on exactly who and what survives.
Oh, I don't question at all that the South will be better off than the North. But there will probably be a hard time as people adapt to losing the easy, cheap, outsourced stuff and deal with the fallout - real and figurative - of the mass suicide to the north.

Oh, I don't question at all that the South will be better off than the North. But there will probably be a hard time as people adapt to losing the easy, cheap, outsourced stuff and deal with the fallout - real and figurative - of the mass suicide to the north.
Remember it's 1970 and in the South. Easy cheap outsourced isn't a thing. Owning a car is a privilege not a right. My dad was still using donkey carts and steam trains as transportation and didn't have indoor plumbing as yet. There's simply less technology for the average person to lose.

Remember it's 1970 and in the South. Easy cheap outsourced isn't a thing. Owning a car is a privilege not a right. My dad was still using donkey carts as transportation and didn't have indoor plumbing as yet.
I actually don't know where you're from but I've seen you on the forum.

I actually don't know where you're from but I've seen you on the forum.
I didn't mean it to be specific to me. But I think posters forget that modern life is very recent. Jump back 50 years in a third world country and there is simply less technology to lose. Which means surviving without that tech isnt the catastrophe as modern posters think.

I didn't mean it to be specific to me. But I think posters forget that modern life is very recent. Jump back 50 years in a third world country and there is simply less technology to lose. Which means surviving without that tech isnt the catastrophe as modern posters think.
That's actually a fair point.

Paradoxically, I think the less connected and advanced you are the better you can get through The End. I think the biggest problems for those countries would be how much, if at all, the US or the Soviets back their government, supply them with food and monetary aid, etc.

Paradoxically, I think the less connected and advanced you are the better you can get through The End. I think the biggest problems for those countries would be how much, if at all, the US or the Soviets back their government, supply them with food and monetary aid, etc.
The big issue for the South is going to be reliable fuel - are oil tankers and coal barges still functioning- and spare parts for power plants and oil refineries. Once they can keep those going the rest can be slowly rebuilt.

Second question is what's going on with NATO and Warsaw. Peace? Surrender? Is there still fighting in Europe. Fighting between China and USSR? A Soviet invasion of Iran? Is the US Navy still intact? What happened to neutrals like Yugoslavia and Sweden? Lots and lots of variables.

Second question is what's going on with NATO and Warsaw. Peace? Surrender? Is there still fighting in Europe. Fighting between China and USSR? A Soviet invasion of Iran? Is the US Navy still intact? What happened to neutrals like Yugoslavia and Sweden? Lots and lots of variables.
What NATO and Warsaw Pact? Their countries are shattered and the surviving population too busy trying to survive to be waging war.

Apple3169

Banned
I think humanity may have to live in underground vaults for a long time in this scenario. If you ask the life after the vault, know that's really hard to imagine. Since technology could progress within that time also.

I think humanity may have to live in underground vaults for a long time in this scenario. If you ask the life after the vault, know that's really hard to imagine. Since technology could progress within that time also.
Nah, that's computer game stuff. Real nuclear bunkers had limited food supplies, ran power off petrol or diesel generators, had to replace air filters regularly because air was pumped in, and limited water. Turnstile, the master uk government bunker, was built in a limestone area and would actually not have prevented contaminated water getting in.

Agreed, but theres still the issue of trade for food, fuel, medicine etc. There would be very little way those nations could grow, and with worldwide fallout, theyd not be immune.

Agreed, but theres still the issue of trade for food, fuel, medicine etc. There would be very little way those nations could grow, and with worldwide fallout, theyd not be immune

Nah, that's computer game stuff. Real nuclear bunkers had limited food supplies, ran power off petrol or diesel generators, had to replace air filters regularly because air was pumped in, and limited water. Turnstile, the master uk government bunker, was built in a limestone area and would actually not have prevented contaminated water getting in.
Yeah remember Nuclear Winter still a thing.... So yeah there's likely to be those many bunkers experienced famine for the coming years to come

You'll eat what grows and accept the risk of cancer months or years from now or starve in 3 weeks. Basically, you'll eat whatever won't immediately kill you and hope for the best.
Not to mention, say you live in a small town or out in the sticks. So long as you have a half hour warning, etc, you could cover your home gardens with tarps, plastic etc. Then once the fallout "mostly" ends, you peel back the contaminated "dust", dump it somewhere else, and the soil underneath is good to go. It wont cut out all the risk, and cant be done on large mega farm scale, but it would help people in small towns etc stave off some risks of radioactive fallout.

I just thinking no one talk about the religious aspect after the nuke dropped.

Like what would the major religion would change after society collapse from human ignorance and likely atheists will be a lot higher than OTL because people don't believe in a God this that allowed this hell