Let's say this nuclear exchange occurs between 1966 and 1970, assuming the contingency operations of every major power goes as planned and civilization manages to rebuild, what would a post-nuclear world look like say 30 to 40 years after? How would this affect culture including music, cars, and social taboos? Would there be more war or less war in general?

Ever see the movie Threads, because that would be what a post nuclear war world would look like.

It'd be an irradiated wasteland where people are reduced to primitive hunter-gatherers, children would be born with brain damage to the point where language as we know it would break down.

Many cities got destroyed and numerous radiation sickness spraying the entire countryside.
Governments try in vain to establish order after nuclear fallout but failed miserably, people desperate enough to form gangs and militias are formed on Mass.
People who isn't Target from the bombs will experience Mass poisoning across the countryside and have to deal with many many refugees from the cities coming to their town.

In a way basically Hiroshima but across the world

Europe would be massive wasteland which would be ruled by several countries. Radiation would be mostly gone in 40 years but the continent would be still ruined but slowly recovering from the war.

Canada and USA would are badly damaged but they would still survive as nations. Latin America would be in better condition. Brazil and Argentina would are new rising powers.

Africa too would be quite fine.

Middle East bit depends how much nukes would are flying there. But for Africa and Middle East nuclear winter would cause lot of problems. Africa would see lot of refugees from Europe.

China is probably destroyed and very irradiated so same as Europe. Korea and Japan might have same issues.

Australia would be new rising power.

Europe would be massive wasteland which would be ruled by several countries. Radiation would be mostly gone in 40 years but the continent would be still ruined but slowly recovering from the war.

Canada and USA would are badly damaged but they would still survive as nations. Latin America would be in better condition. Brazil and Argentina would are new rising powers.

Africa too would be quite fine.

Middle East bit depends how much nukes would are flying there. But for Africa and Middle East nuclear winter would cause lot of problems. Africa would see lot of refugees from Europe.

China is probably destroyed and very irradiated so same as Europe. Korea and Japan might have same issues.

Australia would be new rising power.
Could you say better myself mate 🧉

Especially with now I'm talking about the radiation effect on the population of these countries especially in birth rates

Many cities got destroyed and numerous radiation sickness spraying the entire countryside.
Governments try in vain to establish order after nuclear fallout but failed miserably, people desperate enough to form gangs and militias are formed on Mass.
People who isn't Target from the bombs will experience Mass poisoning across the countryside and have to deal with many many refugees from the cities coming to their town.

In a way basically Hiroshima but across the world
I'd argue that humans are naturally cooperative, especially in time of need. I agree that maybe in the few early years following a nuclear war, humanity could be something akin to what you described, something like or Wasteland or Fallout 1, as it's shown that humans usually ignore people in need during immediate disasters but are able to rebuild once these communities receive assistance from unaffected areas or some form of assistance is received, communities would receive some sort of support from the government and military, assuming contingency operations go as planned of course. Perhaps nations are able to use the tragedy to create somewhat of a semblance of unity like seen during the September 11th attacks, which isn't comparable to a disaster.

I'd argue that humans are naturally cooperative, especially in time of need. I agree that maybe in the few early years following a nuclear war, humanity could be something akin to what you described, something like or Wasteland or Fallout 1, as it's shown that humans usually ignore people in need during immediate disasters but are able to rebuild once these communities receive assistance from unaffected areas or some form of assistance is received, communities would receive some sort of support from the government and military, assuming contingency operations go as planned of course. Perhaps nations are able to use the tragedy to create somewhat of a semblance of unity like seen during the September 11th attacks, which isn't comparable to a disaster.
Well I do kind of like that you apply that Countries where unify their population under the tragedy but you realize that many of those cities (including the capital) will be in flames and where resort in Mass confusion and paranoia among the populace.

Hell I wouldn't even be surprised if the Government's going full martial law after the nukes fell to give order around the world

There's also a possibility that After the Nuclear Holocaust, people's will literally be desperate enough to trust the state even more because they help some survive

But not anyone will agree to it and people go full anarchy and libertarian to just the clothed himself as Kings or presidents across all of the world after WW3

Well I do kind of like that you apply that Countries where unify their population under the tragedy but you realize that many of those cities (including the capital) will be in flames and where resort in Mass confusion and paranoia among the populace.

Hell I wouldn't even be surprised if the Government's going full martial law after the nukes fell to give order around the world
Yeah, it's a question if the population is able to endure until industries are rebuilt. Rural communities would probably receive an influx of refugees from urban areas, the government wouldn't have enough manpower and supplies to properly help and rescue everyone, the militaries and governments would probably lead remaining local governments from their fortified bunkers, birthrates as you mentioned and radiation affecting compromising everyone's immune system. If nothing goes wrong post-War, I'd probably see a system where local governments in areas unaffected from the blast continue to have a loose loyalty to the prime minister, president, etc., something close to the Warlord Era in China during the 1920s, whether it be through usage of the military or whatever method, and from there they can slowly make their way from agrarian barter trading back to large mass-producing industries.

Not even mentioning mental health will probably crash like the Stock Market 1929 style as people will see their friends and family getting torn to stretch by People's and Nuclear Hellfire.

Society still covering after the Holocaust and the horrors of it.

Now imagine how society will mentally psyche coping with Nuclear Holocaust still in living memory.

Last edited:
Not even mentioning mental health will probably crash like the Stock Market 1929 style as people will see their friends and family getting torn to stretch by People's and Nuclear Hellfire.

Society still covering after the Holocaust and the horrors of it now imagine how society will mentally psyche coping with Nuclear Holocaust still in living memory
Yep, we can't imagine what kind of society would emerge, customs that are deemed too wasteful would probably be watered down or removed, like Christmas and Thanksgiving, etc., and new ones will be created out of necessity, richness would probably be measured by the amount of scarce survival resources a person has. I'm guessing that in the slim chance that society rebuilds back to something that resembles pre-War, technology would still be say 10 to 30 years behind at most since I doubt governments would be concerned with funding technology initiatives.

Most of the countries in the Northern Hemisphere would be destroyed. South America and Africa below the Sahara would be fine. China, India, and Russia would be destroyed.

I can imagine a situation where there are a series of military dictatorships in South America and eventually one becomes dominant, conquers South America, then Latin America, and eventually encroaches on north america.

I also can imagine a reaction where an African and Pacific union is formed survivors who were not the targets of the bombs. A kind of mutual group that was not hit as badly as the Russians who reunite large parts of the world outside of the wasteland. The African and Pacific union might have to defend themselves from remnants of the United States, China, India, and Russia's military because they might have some radiation free land.

The southern hemisphere does not have many nukes historically. Brazil turned away from producing nuclear weapons. The South African plan for a nuclear weapon never happened. Australia never developed a bomb. Indonesia did not as well. Japan might be an invasion target from Russia because they would have radiation free land.

Israel was supposed to have a secret bomb. It would probably get wiped out along with several surrounding countries. Parts of the middle east would be irradiated.

Most of Asia did not develop nuclear weapons and would be free of nuclear weapons and targets. The bomb might unite different regions of the globe to deal with nuclear winter as well as some of the raiders and survivors of nuclear war.

Canada and Iceland did not have a bomb. Most of Canada would not have been hit by nuclear weapons. I would imagine after the war, they might have problems with surviving states from the United States attempting to annex safe land from Canada.

Europe, Russia, the United States, China, Pakistan, India would be irradiated messes.

Last edited:
Yep, we can't imagine what kind of society would emerge, customs that are deemed too wasteful would probably be watered down or removed, like Christmas and Thanksgiving, etc., and new ones will be created out of necessity, richness would probably be measured by the amount of scarce survival resources a person has. I'm guessing that in the slim chance that society rebuilds back to something that resembles pre-War, technology would still be say 10 to 30 years behind at most since I doubt governments would be concerned with funding technology initiatives.
I think this video might be a good insight of what a nuclear fallout will be like

ahmedali

Banned
Assumptions that World War III means the complete end of civilization

Something similar to Mad Max and the Walking Dead is insane

The reality is that only the United States and the Soviets would attack each other with nuclear weapons

(All world governments will declare complete neutrality in nuclear war and thus save a large part of the world)

ahmedali

Banned
Most of the countries in the Northern Hemisphere would be destroyed. South America and Africa below the Sahara would be fine. China, India, and Russia would be destroyed.

I can imagine a situation where there are a series of military dictatorships in South America and eventually one becomes dominant, conquers South America, then Latin America, and eventually encroaches on north america.

I also can imagine a reaction where an African and Pacific union is formed survivors who were not the targets of the bombs. A kind of mutual group that was not hit as badly as the Russians who reunite large parts of the world outside of the wasteland.
China and Russia may agree but why India

India is not biased towards anyone and they will declare complete neutrality

And not only India, most of Asia, except for China, Russia and Korea, will be spared from the nuclear fallout
I think Japan will probably be targeted for nuclear destruction by Chinese nukes.

Don't forget India and Pakistan have nukes and if there is a war who allow nukes they would definitely use against each other

ahmedali

Banned
I think Japan will probably be targeted for nuclear destruction by Chinese nukes.

Don't forget India and Pakistan have nukes and if there is a war who allow nukes they would definitely use against each other
China has really little nuclear

By 1966 their relations with the Soviets were so bad that they might throw a nuclear bomb at the Soviets, not Japan.

Pakistan and India did not become nuclear until the eighties and the point of difference practically avoids this