WIP Map Thread

What is this?
How serious is it supposed to be?
What is the POD?

Generally, I don't like when people include alternate geography just for fun. Alternate geography would have a huge impact on history so it shouldn't be thrown in later on for the lulz. It's very interesting, but IMO its more of a TL of its own. BUT, if this map isn't meant to be too serious or is very soft AH, then that's a different matter and I think you should do what you think is cool. This is ofc all my personal opinion.
I'm not sure how serious it's supposed to be; the POD is around the fall of Rome, though I have kept a few pre-Roman peoples, and the butterflies spread slowly (Islam and the Mongols both existed ITTL). I don't plan on adding much major, just a few lakes in the Sahara, one in Australia, a heaping of islands everywhere, and more sea in Siberia.

I'm not sure how serious it's supposed to be; the POD is around the fall of Rome, though I have kept a few pre-Roman peoples, and the butterflies spread slowly (Islam and the Mongols both existed ITTL). I don't plan on adding much major, just a few lakes in the Sahara, one in Australia, a heaping of islands everywhere, and more sea in Siberia.
How big are these lakes if I may inquire? >.>

I decide to redo one older WIP (so I am making remake of remake of remake, mwahaha)
View attachment 783547
Map is finished... aside for subdivision of Neu Preussen/Amerika-reich (no subdiv. maybe?)
Also not sure what to do with all those Carribean islands... maybe give some of them to Romania? :p Which one?
And what about color of Brazil (restored empire with some Habsburg cadet branch on the throne)
00000 MidHB - kopie.png

Last edited:
Is there any possible in-TL justification for these?
Megaprojects? Climate change? Anything like that?

Seeing as its a fall of Rome POD but Bosnia, Belarus, and Ukraine all exist under those names, you're clearly playing pretty fast and loose with butterflies, so honestly, I think the approach to speculation in this map is too far removed from my own method for my advice to be useful.

1667409716583.png

Mongol Egypt.png

Progress is coming along... Maybe I'll actually be done by the end of the month. It's mainly just a matter of India, Indonesia, and the notes now. (And making up my mind about if the North German state should use HRE or Dutch colours.

Collection of WIPs I spent too much time not to post :p I might revist these if there's interest but idk
Algeria Wank (1900's): rebellion against the Umayyads leads to a preislamic Algeria dominating the world. Their historic rival is Egypt but now a days its the Longhouse Confederacy (probably would be china if I finished it ) Europe is dominated by the HRE, which is a Papal puppet through and through.
1667509101850.png

Carthage Wins (1500's): Rome is crushed early, Carthage maritime culture carries colonialism abroad, hopefully self explanatory
1667509533730.png

Song Industrializes (2000's): Mongol ivasion of the Song fails miserably as Chinese gunpowder destroys the Empire. Newfoud intersest in conquering Central Asia and the continuation of Southern maritime culture butterflies into Chinese world domination. Chinas quikly figuring out that draining the world of resources for hyper industrialization might be bad for the continued survival of the planet...
1667509727640.png

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll finish this one, but I'm working on it. I definitely won't finish it in time to use it as the foundation for an entry in Monday's MOTF (though given how ASB it's becoming I guess that matters less.) Borders for the Mega Turkish Empire borrowed from Unkown00 and B_Munro.
Mamluk Modernity.png

And some more progress on this. The trouble with trying to take PODs that far back to the modern day is that at a certain point you're forced to improvise.
Mongol Egypt.png

Song Industrializes
This and Carthage winning are often discussed but rarely realized. I would be interested in seeing the finished products at some point, even if you put them on hiatus for a while.
preislamic Algeria dominating the world
That's original. I can honestly say I've never heard that before.
@PobreCesar that border where Russian America, Canada, and tne USA meet makes me cringe...
Really? I thought it looked neat.
Are they more HRE or Netherland?
I'm trying to decide exactly what they are.
I say finish it.
Alright, thanks for the encouragement.

Hi everyone, I wanted to show you my WIP along with a request. This is the general idea I'm going for surviving the western empire restored by Julius Nepos (and his successors) after not getting ousted from Italy by Orestes into the early middle ages. The general idea is to make a series depicting the highs and lows of this surviving WRE would go through history until 2000ad. I've barely tampered with maps due to me losing myself too much when trying to answer questions like how the dynamic between the surging germanic kingdoms would be, considering their particular relationship with the Papacy and the general idea of (most of) them considering themselves successor to Rome in a world where it never went away in the west.
So to the request, I'm lacking a proper black map to work on, (already asked in the black map thread, no answer), so if anyone has a map with modern-day borders and as many administrative divisions and rivers as possible depicting as much of Europe, Northern Africa and the Near East, the bigger the better, I'd highly appreciate it. Doesn't even need to be black even, as long as I can easily paint over I'm gold. Thanks!

Attachments

• West Rome - cutout3.png
    West Rome - cutout3.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 108