Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting update. Unfortunate name for Hippolyta though, Harry might get some extra ribbing for being a ginger AND hanging out with 'the hippo'. Might lead to a subplot where 'Lyta' might worry about her weight over and above everything else she's picked on for.
Scorpia sounds like a neat character, too bad she dies. I bet there were a LOT of 'Harpia' shippers who would have died on that hill.

I will certainly not be the only one infuriated that the Crow house has an owl icon.

As a lifelong Harry Potter fan, gotta say I love the Hogwarts Four's dynamic and how the series is more rooted in mystical themes; I always felt OTL's books never strayed from the black-and-white morality and basic formula even as they purported to "mature and grow with the audience" so it's a good thing they do here as they go on; presumably The Half-Blood Prince is the second book like Rowling wanted it to be IOTL (she was overruled so she had to go with Chamber of Secrets instead, which is why that book feels so...samey) and thus the overall arc starts building FAR earlier. I will agree that Ron and Hermione (or Ron and Hippolyta ITTL as the case may be) did always seem to fit more in Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw respectively, and that Draco felt like wasted potential; he could've def filled the fourth spot in the group, so I'm glad to see both happen here.

Maybe instead of a film franchise ITTL, Rowling opts for TV instead? I'd imagine it'd work WAY better.

I also noticed that Voldemort isn't named Voldemort - given the "Lucifer" connection in Harry's TTL middle name, is He Who Must Not Be Named more of an outright demonic entity ITTL?

Last edited:
Interesting how Harry Potter changed ITTL, but I have to ask how will youtubers change? I mean with the amount of butterflies something has to change with the big ones. What are your thoughts?

Deleted member 165942

Basically everyone after 1990 will not be how we know them so yeah, the YouTubers we know probably wouldn't exist since them being born is not even set to stone

Basically everyone after 1990 will not be how we know them so yeah, the YouTubers we know probably wouldn't exist since them being born is not even set to stone
And I mean I get your point but i just think it's fun tk think about all the changes it could bring

This is an incredibly fun take on HP.

[8] It’s long been my suspicion that Rowling originally intended for Hermione to be a Ravenclaw and Ron a Hufflepuff, seeing as how they seem to embody the main “traits” of those two houses, respectively, but that Rowling’s agent or the publisher convinced her to make all three Gryffindor to simplify the narrative, since, you know, “kids is dumb.”

I've wondered that over the years, too - whilst there's the point "it's our choices, not our abilities that define us", that feels like an after-the-fact cop-out.

And I mean I get your point but i just think it's fun tk think about all the changes it could bring

I agree with you here - and why I'm not a big fan of fictional people playing a prominent role in this timeline.

Part of the fun of this TL is that most, if not, all the players - actors, producers, directors, musicians, writers, politicians - are all people who exist or existed OTL (whether they were alive at this point or not), just switched around. Because then you can play these really fun "what-if" games with people - say, what if some 2000s/2010s child actor had a different breakout role? That's more fun to me than just making someone up and making a career trajectory for them - it makes the TL seem less realistic.

(Also, I should point out that this is technically happening with people's careers - for instance, Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson ITTL are bigger names in Hollywood than they ever were OTL, Scarlett Johansson is one of "Spielberg's Kids", and Jemaine Clement has had a breakthrough role roughly a decade earlier than he did OTL).

A couple of fictional YouTubers, I think is fine, because they're recounting events, but not necessarily impacting them - it's a way to get people who can provide us with some insights into a film or a trend ITTL, without just blandly recounting facts.

As well as this, it's very easy to misuse this power to butterfly people you don't like...

Last edited:
A New Hype
[Trailer Starts]

The Lucasfilm Logo appears.

The Force Theme (“Binary Sun”) starts to play in minor key.

[Fade in to…]

Ext – A Foggy Forest Planet
Strange two-legged beasts walk out of the fog.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Generation has a Legend…”

[Fade in to…]

databank_otohgunga_01_169_554653bd.jpeg

(Image source StarWars.com)

Ext – A city of Bubble-like Domes under the sea.
Pan up to the city past exotic sea creatures.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Journey has a First step…”

[Fade in to…]

Ext – A towering castle-like city on a Tropical Island
Pan up to the buildings and over azure bays.

[Cut to…]

Int – Castle – Window
A heavily made-up WOMAN stands by the window, looking forlornly out from it. Flashes of light, as if from a battle, play on her tear-streaked face.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Saga has a Beginning…”

[Fade in to…]

The Star Wars Theme starts, beginning with the iconic Fanfare.

Ext – Space
A space fighter flying TOWARDS CAMERA firing lasers.

[Cut to…]

databank_tradefederationbattleship_01_169_fc5458ce.jpeg

Ext – Space
A fleet of ring-like spacecraft are approached by a ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship
A bearded JEDI (Kenneth Branagh) in his thirties pulls back his hood.

[Cut to…]

A group of BATTLE DROIDS firing lasers.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship – Throne Room
A fat, cybernetic, horse-faced ALIEN sits amid pillows and splendor. A teenaged SLAVE (Zachery Ty Bryan) drops a cup when struck by the ALIEN. He reaches down, and the cup slightly moves towards his hand as he reaches for it. The JEDI notices.

[Cut to…]

databank_opeeseakiller_01_169_7a1bc9fb.jpeg

Ext – Undersea.
A small submarine races through coral caverns, chased by a giant Fish.

[Cut to…]

Int – Submarine
Two frog-like ALIENS, one short and fat, one tall and thin, pilot the vehicle. The SLAVE, a WOMAN (Lynda Carter), and the JEDI sit behind them. The thin alien screams as something grabs the ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Underwater city
A frog-like ALIEN with an angry face thrusts an electrified spear towards the camera.

[Cut to…]

Int – Underwater City – Submarine Bay
A SCARY ALIEN (Benicio del Toro) in a black hood with circuit board-like tattoos on his half-hidden face grasps the SLAVE’S face with a clawed hand. The SLAVE’S face is pure fear. The JEDI appears and draws his laser sword.

Jedi
Stand away from the boy!!​

[Cut to…]

Ext – Space
Fighters harass a sleek and shiny space ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship – Guns
The SLAVE and the JEDI man laser cannons.

Slave
There’s too many of them!!​

[Cut to…]

Ext – City Planet
The SLAVE and a YOUNG WOMAN (Aleksa Palladino) stare in awe out of the space ship’s windows as they fly by the towering skyscrapers.

Voice (V.O.)
Welcome to the Galactic capital, kids!

[Cut to…]

mace-windu-star-wars-img-587x360.jpg

(Image source Powerhouse Magazine)

Int – Spacious Room with Natural Light
A BALD JEDI (Samuel L. Jackson) in brown robes leans into the camera and scowls. A BEARDED JEDI in ornate clothing next to him (Ian McKellen) leans in and smiles.

Bald Jedi
There is much fear and anger in the boy.

Bearded Jedi
Yes, but much love, and much hope too!​

[Cut to…]

Int – Temple - Day
The SLAVE and BALD JEDI talk.

Slave
My mother is in danger! I can sense it!​

[Cut To…]

Int – Castle – Window
A WOMAN (Lynda Carter) looks up in fear. The SCARY ALIEN smiles menacingly.

[Cut To…]

Int – Temple – Day

Bald Jedi
There is nothing that you can do to help her.​

[Cut To…]

6YTMdMNNhKjJteHELU97Mg.jpg

(Image source CinemaBlend)

Ext – Temple – Courtyard – Day
The SLAVE stands by a GREEN ALIEN (YODA), who is sweeping the patio.

Yoda
Very strict he is, but fair…

Slave
He’s a sadist!​

Montage:
A series of BATTLE DROIDS in ranks…

1664707577904.png

(Image source Movie Morgue wiki)

A cavernous chamber (the Senate) full of many aliens, the YOUNG WOMAN in the center…

R2D2 and a C3PO without the metal skin (just frame and wires)…

A Space Battle…

A city siege. BATTLE DROIDS scaling ladders with amazing speed onto castle-like ramparts…

The two froglike ALIENS and R2-D2 rushing down a hall pursued by BATTLE DROIDS…

The YOUNG WOMAN firing a laser.

The SCARY ALIEN crossing laser swords with the JEDI and another older JEDI…

quigon-obiwan-maul-duel-tall.jpg

A group of MANDALORIANS rocketing out of a landing craft amidst the castle battle…

One of the ring-like Space Ships Exploding…

[Fade to Black…]

Music ends.

Title Card: “Star Wars: Episode I. A Darkness Rising.”

Credits Screen

Title Card: “The Saga Begins Winter 1997.”

For comparison:

Transcript from the June 24th, 1997, Episode of The Tonight Show with David Letterman

Dave
: So, Paul, there’s a new Star Wars movie coming out.

Paul: (dripping with sarcasm) Really? Who could have possibly known.

Audience laughs with irony.

Dave: Yeah, they’ve been pretty aggressive with the promotion.

Paul: No doubt.

Dave: Yeah, toys, games, posters, books, breakfast cereal, Pepsi cans, Happy Meals, Space Balls the Flame Thrower, you name it. (audience laughs) I got a colonoscopy the other day – seriously, guys, get your colonoscopy, it’s very important – and the doctor found a poster of Moog and Ba Ba.

Audience laughs and cheers.

Paul: I hope you got compensated for that.

Dave: Yeah, it’s not the best place for an advert, but my doctor assures me that it’s up there.

Drummer Anton Fig gives a rimshot. Audience laughs awkwardly.

May the Hype be With You…

Veeeeery interesting @Geekhis Khan

It looks like Annieken might not be from Tatooine - which if so frees up the movie to show more interesting locations. And Kenneth Branagh as Obi-Wan, now I did not see that coming!

A very tantalizing trailer indeed! :love:

Doesn't seem too different from OTL Phantom Menace, but this time we have an older Anniken (thank god) and a different cast for characters like alt-Darth Maul or Obi-Wan.
Guess there will be a massive following of Star Wars fans once Darkness Rising comes out. Let the Prequel Era begin!

Welsh is a new one for me, but that makes sense. Though I always thought that Llamedos was Discworld's Wales. Fun fact: "Llamedos" = "Sod em all" backwards.

Yep, which is a reference to Llareggub in Under Milk Wood. There's a sizable Llamedosian dwarf population, most notably Low King Rhys Rhysson, who combines a Welsh name with the quadi-Scandinavian patronymics Terry also uses for dwarfs.

Harry Fletcher and the Four Temperaments

Okay, this is interesting. It's been a while since I read the books, and I'm not sure I ever did read the later ones, but this looks like a notable improvement on the things I already liked about it. (I'm a bit sceptical of the temperaments thing, since a lot of it seems to be "And this bit doesn't fit, but here's why it does really". It's an interesting way of thinking about the characters and the Houses, but I'm unconvinced it was one JKR was consciously using.)

Is there a pronounciation guide? My instinct is that, since there is no "t" before the "ch", and Rowling lives in Scotland, it's a Gaelic "ch", but I suppose most non-Celts would automatically read it as rhyming with "batch". I foresee this being a major controversy amongst fans.

Also very interesting, but -- as is the way of initial trailers -- short on actual information just yet.

[Trailer Starts]

The Lucasfilm Logo appears.

The Force Theme (“Binary Sun”) starts to play in minor key.

[Fade in to…]

Ext – A Foggy Forest Planet
Strange two-legged beasts walk out of the fog.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Generation has a Legend…”

[Fade in to…]

databank_otohgunga_01_169_554653bd.jpeg

Ext – A city of Bubble-like Domes under the sea.
Pan up to the city past exotic sea creatures.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Journey has a First step…”

[Fade in to…]

Ext – A towering castle-like city on a Tropical Island
Pan up to the buildings and over azure bays.

[Cut to…]

Int – Castle – Window
A heavily made-up WOMAN stands by the window, looking forlornly out from it. Flashes of light, as if from a battle, play on her tear-streaked face.

[Fade to Black]

Title card: “Every Saga has a Beginning…”

[Fade in to…]

The Star Wars Theme starts, beginning with the iconic Fanfare.

Ext – Space
A space fighter flying TOWARDS CAMERA firing lasers.

[Cut to…]

databank_tradefederationbattleship_01_169_fc5458ce.jpeg

Ext – Space
A fleet of ring-like spacecraft are approached by a ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship
A bearded JEDI (Kenneth Branagh) in his thirties pulls back his hood.

[Cut to…]

A group of BATTLE DROIDS firing lasers.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship – Throne Room
A fat, cybernetic, horse-faced ALIEN sits amid pillows and splendor. A teenaged SLAVE (Zachery Ty Bryan) drops a cup when struck by the ALIEN. He reaches down, and the cup slightly moves towards his hand as he reaches for it. The JEDI notices.

[Cut to…]

databank_opeeseakiller_01_169_7a1bc9fb.jpeg

Ext – Undersea.
A small submarine races through coral caverns, chased by a giant Fish.

[Cut to…]

Int – Submarine
Two frog-like ALIENS, one short and fat, one tall and thin, pilot the vehicle. The SLAVE, a WOMAN (Lynda Carter), and the JEDI sit behind them. The thin alien screams as something grabs the ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Underwater city
A frog-like ALIEN with an angry face thrusts an electrified spear towards the camera.

[Cut to…]

Int – Underwater City – Submarine Bay
A SCARY ALIEN (Benicio del Toro) in a black hood with circuit board-like tattoos on his half-hidden face grasps the SLAVE’S face with a clawed hand. The SLAVE’S face is pure fear. The JEDI appears and draws his laser sword.

Jedi
Stand away from the boy!!​

[Cut to…]

Ext – Space
Fighters harass a sleek and shiny space ship.

[Cut to…]

Int – Space Ship – Guns
The SLAVE and the JEDI man laser cannons.

Slave
There’s too many of them!!​

[Cut to…]

Ext – City Planet
The SLAVE and a YOUNG WOMAN (Aleksa Palladino) stare in awe out of the space ship’s windows as they fly by the towering skyscrapers.

Voice (V.O.)
Welcome to the Galactic capital, kids!

[Cut to…]

mace-windu-star-wars-img-587x360.jpg

(Image source Powerhouse Magazine)

Int – Spacious Room with Natural Light
A BALD JEDI (Samuel L. Jackson) in brown robes leans into the camera and scowls. A BEARDED JEDI in ornate clothing next to him (Ian McKellen) leans in and smiles.

Bald Jedi
There is much fear and anger in the boy.

Bearded Jedi
Yes, but much love, and much hope too!​

[Cut to…]

Int – Temple - Day
The SLAVE and BALD JEDI talk.

Slave
My mother is in danger! I can sense it!​

[Cut To…]

Int – Castle – Window
A WOMAN (Lynda Carter) looks up in fear. The SCARY ALIEN smiles menacingly.

[Cut To…]

Int – Temple – Day

Bald Jedi
There is nothing that you can do to help her.​

[Cut To…]

6YTMdMNNhKjJteHELU97Mg.jpg

(Image source CinemaBlend)

Ext – Temple – Courtyard – Day
The SLAVE stands by a GREEN ALIEN (YODA), who is sweeping the patio.

Yoda
Very strict he is, but fair…

Slave
He’s a sadist!​

Montage:
A series of BATTLE DROIDS in ranks…

View attachment 778715
(Image source Movie Morgue wiki)

A cavernous chamber (the Senate) full of many aliens, the YOUNG WOMAN in the center…

R2D2 and a C3PO without the metal skin (just frame and wires)…

A Space Battle…

A city siege. BATTLE DROIDS scaling ladders with amazing speed onto castle-like ramparts…

The two froglike ALIENS and R2-D2 rushing down a hall pursued by BATTLE DROIDS…

The YOUNG WOMAN firing a laser.

The SCARY ALIEN crossing laser swords with the JEDI and another older JEDI…

quigon-obiwan-maul-duel-tall.jpg

A group of MANDALORIANS rocketing out of a landing craft amidst the castle battle…

One of the ring-like Space Ships Exploding…

[Fade to Black…]

Music ends.

Title Card: “Star Wars: Episode I. A Darkness Rising.”

Credits Screen

Title Card: “The Saga Begins Winter 1997.”

For comparison:

Transcript from the June 24th, 1997, Episode of The Tonight Show with David Letterman

Dave
: So, Paul, there’s a new Star Wars movie coming out.

Paul: (dripping with sarcasm) Really? Who could have possibly known.

Audience laughs with irony.

Dave: Yeah, they’ve been pretty aggressive with the promotion.

Paul: No doubt.

Dave: Yeah, toys, games, posters, books, breakfast cereal, Pepsi cans, Happy Meals, Space Balls the Flame Thrower, you name it. (audience laughs) I got a colonoscopy the other day – seriously, guys, get your colonoscopy, it’s very important – and the doctor found a poster of Moog and Ba Ba.

Audience laughs and cheers.

Paul: I hope you got compensated for that.

Dave: Yeah, it’s not the best place for an advert, but my doctor assures me that it’s up there.

Drummer Anton Fig gives a rimshot. Audience laughs awkwardly.

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOO!!!!!!

Interesting idea, though I’m wondering how Owen gets tied in. I can see him settling on Tatooine to protect Luke.

I’ve been thinking about X Men and I was thinking if Juggernaut shows up they make him homosexual. His backstory involved his father beating him, and his hatred for Charles comes from him reading his mind (and in the process violating privacy and seeing his secret shame). Having his father beat him for being gay adds an additional layer to the conflict and self loathing.

Thanks, all, a couple of "Big" pieces of '90s/2000s pop culture introduced here, so I was curious how they'd be taken. Largely positively so far it seems. We'll see if that lasts.

Tell me not!Sirius and not!Remus lived,if they even had equivalents here.
I honestly haven't dug that deep, though someone close to Harry is undoubtedly going to die for Rule of Drama and Raise the Stakes reasons.

That said, this is as deep as I'm diving on alt-Potterverse, so wide open to Guest Posts so long as nothing violates what I've established here.

Interesting update. Unfortunate name for Hippolyta though, Harry might get some extra ribbing for being a ginger AND hanging out with 'the hippo'. Might lead to a subplot where 'Lyta' might worry about her weight over and above everything else she's picked on for.
Yea, I can totally see those lines of thought. I can see Harry trying to distance himself from "the Hippo" early on when he's still a bit young and shallow.

Scorpia sounds like a neat character, too bad she dies. I bet there were a LOT of 'Harpia' shippers who would have died on that hill.
I figure she'd be a cult favorite for a variety of reasons. And yes, definite ship-bate there.

I will certainly not be the only one infuriated that the Crow house has an owl icon.
Makes about as much sense as a griffin house having a lion mascot or a raven house having an eagle mascot, as I see it. Personally I'd see a corvid as a great mascot for the intellectual house as they're clever and sociable birds (significantly smarter than owls!), but perhaps their "dark and macabre" reputation turned Rowling away.

Here's one fashioning a hook, showing they don't just use tools, but create and modify them:

I also noticed that Voldemort isn't named Voldemort - given the "Lucifer" connection in Harry's TTL middle name, is He Who Must Not Be Named more of an outright demonic entity ITTL?
Honestly just to lazy to think up a different name, so it seemed like a good "fan quirk" to not say it.

That said, as mentioned I'm not diving any deeper into Harry Fletcher so open to Guest Posts.

Interesting how Harry Potter changed ITTL, but I have to ask how will youtubers change? I mean with the amount of butterflies something has to change with the big ones. What are your thoughts?
Well, I tend to use a lot of fake and fictional names when dealing with minor authors and internet personalities simply out of a respect for privacy. When you're an A-list star who's written autobiographies or done tons of interviews or had lots of media attention there's less expectation of privacy (and less legal right to privacy and less likelihood of an angry letter from a lawyer) than if you're "some dude on YouTube". So while I could use someone like The Nostalgia Critic or Red Letter Media, I generally see these folks, whatever their relative success, as still somewhat "an average person" and feel less comfortable putting words in their mouth, particularly over controversial things.

I also use more "fictional" folks as the TL moves forward as a reflection of the butterfly effect and the move into the Fiction Zone and a reflection of how viral internet fame in particular is super-random and butterfly prone.

Plus it's another chance to torture you poor bastards with horrible puns, so win-win.

So if folks don't like it, sorry, but it's the relative line in the sand I chose. Feel free to make your own choices when you do guest posts or write your own TL.

(I'm a bit sceptical of the temperaments thing, since a lot of it seems to be "And this bit doesn't fit, but here's why it does really". It's an interesting way of thinking about the characters and the Houses, but I'm unconvinced it was one JKR was consciously using.)
Be skeptical. JR never specifically mentions them. Could be a fan overthinking things. Deliberately vague here.

Is there a pronounciation guide? My instinct is that, since there is no "t" before the "ch", and Rowling lives in Scotland, it's a Gaelic "ch", but I suppose most non-Celts would automatically read it as rhyming with "batch". I foresee this being a major controversy amongst fans.
I figure fans will pronounce it all sorts of ways, but in the end probably the official guide is "kwa-dock" rather than "kwa-datch".

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOO!!!!!!
Star Wars Checklist:
- Hype and Marketing overload - CHECK!
- Overexcited fan base with high expectations - CHECK!!

[to be continued]

Status
Not open for further replies.