Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

A bit of going on a dead thread here, but.
I don’t know if anyone has said it but the Percy Jackson books give us a sudden eruption of Mt Saint Helens around June 20 2008 (the timeline I found places it between the 13th and the 24th), whose strength isn’t specified but causes at least half a million people to be evacuated, and after that the volcano erupts a few more times (or the eruption doesn’t stop) until some point around June or early-August when the volcano is obliterated in a single new eruption when Typhon escapes it.
Which, after that, sees Typhon cross the US as a ‘freak storm’ (cof-tornado/hurricane-coff) that ends only in August 17th at which point it had reached Manhattan (and with Brooklyn bridge being destroyed) while storm spirits still continue to cause havoc until at least a few months later (meaning more freaky but less destructive storms)

I’m not going to enter on the other books and series but this alone would probably have some major effects on the world
People just say "Wow, climate change is worse than we thought" and move on with their lives.

At most there will be a state funeral for those killed by the storms. Perhaps some Islamist leader, like Bin Laden, shouts that this is "a punishment from Allah against the United States for his acts against Islam" (surely this leader will be ignored by anyone who is not an Islamist).

Other than that, surely global warming activists will gain more traction "ahead of time" now that they can exploit this disaster as evidence that their claims are true (Never mind this disaster isn't consequence of climate change, already it still seems like exactly what they're warning against as "sure outcome of climate change").

But removing that I don't think there will be too many changes: as far as people know, none of this has changed their conception of the world as they understand it.

So I’m sure this has been covered already, but Ted Lasso is obviously an alternate universe where football club AFC Richmond exists and to be honest, while it’s implied they aren’t very good as they have few honors, this could easily mean they are a mediocre, bottom half club, but not bad enough to be relegated (yet anyways. I need to finish the show) though I’m not sure if you get a trophy when you get promoted. In addition, AFC Richmond seems to have been top flight since the 80s as they haven’t won’t at Everton FC in Liverpool in that long.

One thing too is in regards to American football. It says Ted Lasso was football coach at Wichita State. Wichita State hasn’t had football since 1986. Obviously they kept it in this timeline, but it’s said that Wichita won the division 2 national title. This means that Wichita State either dropped division 1 athletics, the ncaa got rid of its rule that all schools with football had to move their athletic programs to D1 ( before this, you had schools like Georgetown or Dayton or Butler playing D2 or D3 football with major basketball programs), or the ESPN announcer made a mistake and Wichita is in the Division 1-AA level, which has playoffs and includes teams like North Dakota State.

Any of these could be possible as Wichita would fit well in Division 2 as Kansas and Missouri have some very strong D2 programs like Pittsburg St and NW Missouri State. For sure in FCS they’d fit well into the Missouri Valley Football league with teams like North Dakota State and Northern Iowa. Either way, they exist and have football in that universe and it might have some implications on their basketball team.
Incidentally, there is a real-life team in Richmond, Hampton & Richmond Borough in the National League South. Whether they don't exist in this world or are slumming it out with the likes of Balham, Farnham and Alton in the Combined Counties League is anyone's guess.

Incidentally, there is a real-life team in Richmond, Hampton & Richmond Borough in the National League South. Whether they don't exist in this world or are slumming it out with the likes of Balham, Farnham and Alton in the Combined Counties League is anyone's guess.
Probably. Maybe not as low down as the Combined Counties League though. A similar real-life example is with Bristol. The city gas two football clubs in the EFL and yet still has numerous clubs in the 8th tier if English Football (the Southern League Division One South).

Blake and Mortimer comic series.

Of the ones I remember right now:

-There was a Third World War immediately after the Second, which was fought when an imperial Japanese version of Tibet conquered the world before it fell.

-Despite this, Western countries in general, and Great Britain and the Soviet Union in particular, are stronger, more powerful and richer than in our reality.

-The Republic of India was threatened by a takeover by the reincarnated Emperor Açoka, until his sudden demise in 1958. At least that is what the public was told…

-The Soviet Union developed weather control technology in the 1950s and they were using it to attack the West, as a preliminary to launching an air and ground invasion (which they called off at the last minute). This should have caused a massive diplomatic crisis, mainly because it is impossible to hide HUNDREDS of Soviet transport planes and fighters flying over France, but it is never mentioned again.

-The British Empire is powerful enough to run its own independent diplomacy instead of just doing what the Americans tell them. This includes everything from developing cutting-edge scientific and technical projects (interesting enough that the USSR wants to copy them) to negotiating on their own with the Soviets.

-The head of MI6 was accused of espionage and persecuted for being a Soviet spy. It is true that this was later shown to be false, but it would have had serious political and strategic consequences.

-Time travel is not only possible (or will be in the future, at least), but the Earth was in serious danger of being colonized by visitors from the future. Fortunately, the British and the Americans saved us from the risk of being ruled by our evil descendants.

-As a consequence of the above, it was implied that the Cold War was about to reduce or de-escalate, since in the future a devastating nuclear war had destroyed the Earth. Although not mentioned, it is very likely that every nation privy to the secret war is investing massive amounts of money in their own time travel programs.

-A very fat spoiler about William Shakespeare.

-Japan somehow possessed the necessary infrastructure to build robots indistinguishable from humans in 1963. Plus its researchers are even more impressive than those in our reality.

-I'm sure I'm forgetting many, many other things.

Undertale post pacifist would mean a change everything from religion to science, like imagine the fact that we aren't even alone in our own planet, probably would mess up a few people, oh and existence of magic would alter science radically (I'm not if worded correctly since English isn't my first language please correct if you can)

Probably. Maybe not as low down as the Combined Counties League though. A similar real-life example is with Bristol. The city gas two football clubs in the EFL and yet still has numerous clubs in the 8th tier if English Football (the Southern League Division One South).

Bristol is bigger than Richmond though, so I imagine most of the support would be taken up by AFC Richmond. Although one of the teams in Bristol, Manor Farm, were beaten comprehensively by my non-league side in the Step 8 playoff final last season.

Just watched RRR on Netflix. It ends with a 1930s Indian revolutionary who spent years infiltrating the Indian Army (and his best friend) assassinating the 'governor' (implied to be the Governor-General of India), blowing up the giant gubernatorial mansion, and stealing a bunch of Lee-Enfields to arm all of his revolutionary friends. What's more, he did this because the governor randomly kidnapped a little girl, which is presumably going to come out in the inquiries into this disaster.

There's going to be a gigantic political controversy in England about all this; not to mention the risk of violent insurrection in India.

On top of that, the fact that the Indian Army had a prominent infiltrator who used his position to steal a bunch of rifles for revolutionary purposes is definitely going to lead to the British Army trying to limit the number and influence of new Indian officers. Come WW2, the Indian Army is going to start with a massive officer shortage, before it begins trying to expand. Butterflies abound!

The film The Last Tycoon (2012) has a Chinese mob boss lead an insurrection in Shanghai that leads to the deaths of multiple collaborators, several Japanese officials, a Japanese general, and the local provisional governor. The mob boss, and most of his posse, are killed as well. It would hurt the occupation of the city and surrounding area a little bit but the reprisals would be pretty horrible.

Just watched RRR on Netflix. It ends with a 1930s Indian revolutionary who spent years infiltrating the Indian Army (and his best friend) assassinating the 'governor' (implied to be the Governor-General of India)
Not to mention that it wasn't just the Governor-General, they also killed several battalions of British soldiers.

Raise the Titanic! (novel) - forget raising the ship, at the end the Americans have a Byzantium powered shield against ICBM's.

Raise the Titanic! (movie) - due to the fears of a Byzantium bomb Pitt and Seagram leave the Byzantium where it is, but what if someone checks their work...?

House of Cards - Francis not only managed to make the PM post-Thatcher fall, but take over himself and bring Conservative rule that last longer than Mrs T's 11 years, 208 days, meaning the UK had a Troy government from 1979 to 2001! In that time F.U. privatises the NHS, got rid of the Race Relations Board, brought in National Service, retained Hong Kong, and toppled a King. What would F.U's legacy be like?

Star Trek- In the 1960's there was platforms in space carrying nuclear weapons pointing at the enemy. Genetic Engineering is able to make Augmented babies in the 70's.

Brewser's Millions- what happened to all the hair brained schemes Brewser signed up for - like floating icebergs to Africa?

Blues Brothers - How does the City of Chicago justify to its tax payers the sear about of damage done to City infrastructure, Police Depart, etc in the capture of 2 men? Who were just trying to pay off the back taxes on a Nunnery and school?

Trading Places - Did that poor chap every get rescued from the gorilla costume?

Threads/Longest Day/War Game - How did the world recover from those nuclear conflicts?

Hulk - with no other Superhumans how does San Francisco and the world react to the Hulk?

Spider-Man trilogy/duology - again no other Superheroes, and Spider-Man seems to pull costumed nutters out of the woodwork - is he the menace the Bugle makes hm out to be?

American Werewolf in London - the footage from the rampage on the Tube can be suppressed, but the Piccadilly Circus attack cannot be so easily hidden, esp as the beast was clearly not a 'wolf'

Galactica 1980 - one of the Galactica's crew completed the formula for Fusion on a blackboard as I recall. Effects from that would be huge.

Last edited:
Consider that with Swordfish, you have a POD prior to 9/11, wherein a Middle Eastern terrorist leader who had attacked 3 U.S. embassies was suddenly assassinated,. Even more frightening is that the assassin in question, apparently has a few nuclear weapons they are willing to use in the "war against terror":

Calculating Stars universe (spoilers ahead).

We can expect America's reputation and pacifism's image to suffer brutally if it ever gets out that the meteorite was launched to earth by an "ultra-pacifist"* militant, infiltrated in the JPL, who wanted to "punish" America for Hiroshima (and what he did was smash the rest of the world).

* Because nothing says more "I am a pacifist and I hate war and death" than deliberately causing the greatest catastrophe in the history of mankind (Sarcasm). As well as probably killing more people than in the two World Wars combined.

Calculating Stars universe (spoilers ahead).

We can expect America's reputation and pacifism's image to suffer brutally if it ever gets out that the meteorite was launched to earth by an "ultra-pacifist"* militant, infiltrated in the JPL, who wanted to "punish" America for Hiroshima (and what he did was smash the rest of the world).

* Because nothing says more "I am a pacifist and I hate war and death" than deliberately causing the greatest catastrophe in the history of mankind (Sarcasm). As well as probably killing more people than in the two World Wars combined.
It seems more like, "Well 15,000 years has been a good run, might as well end things before things get complicated politically or socially...

Consider that with Swordfish, you have a POD prior to 9/11, wherein a Middle Eastern terrorist leader who had attacked 3 U.S. embassies was suddenly assassinated,. Even more frightening is that the assassin in question, apparently has a few nuclear weapons they are willing to use in the "war against terror":

I actually completely forgot that movie had a plot.

I hope in a 4th book they manage to save Earth.
Given the fact that AFAIK they're not even trying I'll be surprised they get it. As far as I recall, the operational plan was to evacuate the United States, and only the United States, into space. Perhaps to some British to be able to say that they help the allies. But that's it. The rest of the planet can die of disgust as far as this America is concerned.