Autosaved (5).png

Armenia (Var. 1)

Autosaved (1).png

Armenia (Var. 2)

I haven't posted many flags over the past month, but here I wanted to post one I designed a few days ago.

I really like Armenia's coat of arms...no not just because it has Mount Ararat on it, but just because it combines so much of the state's ancient and more recent history with an amazing aesthetic that feels distinctly somewhere between an Asian and European Style. I also like the Armenian Tricolor flag, but I feel like it can be a bit dull at times as well. So, I redesigned the flag with the colors of it's coat of arms, and it's beautiful coat of arms in the middle: A cross, to represent Armenia's 1721 years of Christianity: Arguably, the state was the first one to adopt Christianity as it's official religion (it competes with Ethiopia for this title). I also took the arrangment of colors from the coat of arms, added that in, and then added a bit of white for contrast (just like it is used in the coat of arms).

Sorry for the unfortunate timing. I will probably design an Azerbaijan flag at some point as well. Also, to Armenians, Armenia is known as "Hayastan."

Last edited:
My take on an West Pacific Treaty Organization /Asian NATO flag.

Flag of WPTO.png

The White stands for the US/NATO allies in North America and Europe. Red for Japan and Korea, Blue for the pacific ocean and the global seas & green is for Australasia, Micronesia, Polynesia, Melanesia and the Malay Archipelago including the Philippines.

View attachment 774235
Armenia (Var. 1)

View attachment 774232
Armenia (Var. 2)

I haven't posted many flags over the past month, but here I wanted to post one I designed a few days ago.

I really like Armenia's coat of arms...no not just because it has Mount Ararat on it, but just because it combines so much of the state's ancient and more recent history with an amazing aesthetic that feels distinctly somewhere between an Asian and European Style. I also like the Armenian Tricolor flag, but I feel like it can be a bit dull at times as well. So, I redesigned the flag with the colors of it's coat of arms, and it's beautiful coat of arms in the middle: A cross, to represent Armenia's 1721 years of Christianity: Arguably, the state was the first one to adopt Christianity as it's official religion (it competes with Ethiopia for this title). I also took the arrangment of colors from the coat of arms, added that in, and then added a bit of white for contrast (just like it is used in the coat of arms).

Sorry for the unfortunate timing. I will probably design an Azerbaijan flag at some point as well. Also, to Armenians, Armenia is known as "Hayastan."

I love Armenian. It is such an underrated and underappreciated nation and culture, which in contemporary history, has suffered greatly.

It's definitely a interesting design and I feel is both distinct and tricolor is I feel fitting.

I've been recently consumed with ideas for a new flag series called A Lighter Shade of Black that would serve as a Separated at Birth-style take on Green Antarctica 😂 Here are my initial notes, I have no idea when I'll actually start working on it. I'll probably break it up thusly:
  1. First Clash of Civilizations
  2. Second Clash of Civilizations
  3. Colder War

I've been thinking my idea over while I was working and I have some thoughts that will eventually mature into a series in the Flag Thread I'll call A Lighter Shade of Black. As I've said the biological/agricultural package of Green Antarctica is simply too awesome to butterfly, though the Tsalal in this scenario would likely have influxes of Yaghan and Maori to bolster a larger than TTL Tasmanian founding population. The series would revolve around the makeup for an alternate Cold War, though I'd alter the Clash of Civilizations and butterfly Nazi Germany and the USSR in the process. At present I have three "modern" blocs I'm considering and a fourth I'm turning around, with Russia a notable independent power maintaining a sphere of influence in India.
  1. The Tsalal Hegemony, also known as the Cruel Empire, an outgrowth of the original coalition that fought the British Empire (and later the Southern Pact) to a standstill during the Clash of Civilizations. Originally a purely military alliance, the aftermath of the stalemate will have seen it evolve into a more general continental federation as the members sought to maintain their independence and the settler colonies fought for a seat at the table. Given the prevalence of red-green colorblindness I'm thinking a preponderance of blues, grays, black and yellow with a few odd ones out, plus vertical flags just because they're underused.
    1. Republic of Yag
    2. United Queendom of Ghault
    3. Tsalmothua Consortium
    4. Dragon Islands Confederacy
    5. Empire of Leng
    6. Kingdom of Hali (observer)
    7. Patagonian Hegemony
    8. South African Hegemony
    9. Republic of Australasia
  2. The Europan Republic and the Atlantropan Treaty System, tracing their roots to the European counter-coalition formed during the latter stages of the Clash of Civilizations. In an ironic mirror to the Hegemony, what began as a military exigency gradually gave way to a proposed continental federation in the first decades of the century, though the drive toward national independence that had kept the Tsalal disjointed would flounder in the European case as a direct consequence of the Second Clash of Civilizations, birthing a more or less unified Europan state centered on the Med. The analogue to the USSR and the Warsaw Pact.
  3. The Pacific Pact, a result of a split in the Southern Pact that saw the rump, such as it is, focused on the western hemisphere and Asia to better counter the Hegemony, leading some wags to call the project Chimerica. Historical Tsalal expansionism has resulted in a significant South American diaspora in the US/Canada and a noticeable Australian one in Asia. Also, since I've been pining for a look at the Tsalal-American population TTL I'll probably do a flag for that group too.
  4. The Crystal Pact, a defunct alliance born of the commonality of interests between the Cold Islands and the British Empire. The First Clash saw the dissolution of the Empire, with India successfully fighting for its ramshackle independence and South Africa and Australia conquered by the Hegemony. This sowed the seeds of bitter revanchism against both the Tsalal and the Southern Pact they believe had stabbed them in the back, leading to the Second Clash of Civilizations in the 30s. Britain would be the analogue to Nazi Germany, adopting an extremely militarized and utilitarian "will to power" ideology inspired by Nietzsche and the Cold Islanders called Machtism.
What do you think? @Aluma I remember you said there must be a timeline out there where I did Green Antarctica 😂

Aiming for the worst of all possible worlds, I see.
In all serious it won't be that bad. Aside from eliminating some unlikely parallelism in the 20th century it'll build up into a gradual set of positive changes for the Tsalal. There's a point made in the original thread that hard times breed horrors and that those horrors can become institutionalized and reproduce themselves but that this process isn't eternal or inevitable. Contrary to the fears of the time the Dread Calm (Cold War analogue) won't culminate in an orgy of nuclear holocaust but rather a fever breaking among the Tsalal after 20,000 years. It'll also allow me to indulge in my perennial love of alternate ideologies, since a variant of the Cold Islands system will be gradually adapted to the European context starting in the 1880s, catching on in Britain in its mature form in the next century.

Last edited:
Flag Republican Liechtenstein.png

A republican flag for Liechtenstein in a world where the 2003 Constitution Peace Initiative referendum wins, Prince Hans-Adam II and the royal family leave the country for Vienna and Liechtenstein becomes a republic, thus ending the reign of the last German-speaking monarchy. 🇱🇮

View attachment 775829

A republican flag for Liechtenstein in a world where the 2003 Constitution Peace Initiative referendum wins, Prince Hans-Adam II and the royal family leave the country for Vienna and Liechtenstein becomes a republic, thus ending the reign of the last German-speaking monarchy. 🇱🇮
Excellent concept. Makes me wonder what other flags have crowns on them and what would happen if they became republics.

View attachment 775829

This might be the best idea for a flag concept I've seen in quite a while. Excellent job!