What if Queen Victoria had married Marthinus Wessel Pretorius instead of Prince Albert?

This reminds me of a memetic Korean princess thread from Russian AH board when a dude argued for freakin' six pages that the best way for House of Romanov to stay in power is for Nicholas II marrying a Korean princess instead of Alice of Hesse. Because Far East ports and stuff.
Wait, what?
I doubt the Bolsheviks would care about the race of the Tsarina when they executed her...

This reminds me of a memetic Korean princess thread from Russian AH board when a dude argued for freakin' six pages that the best way for House of Romanov to stay in power is for Nicholas II marrying a Korean princess instead of Alice of Hesse. Because Far East ports and stuff.
Man, alternative history fans really hate poor Alice. Probably they lob everything wrong with Nicholas on her which boy... isn't that a really baseless hot take.

Wait, what?
I doubt the Bolsheviks would care about the race of the Tsarina when they executed her...
The idea was more along the lines of butterflying away Russo-Japanese war as we know it. Bolsheviks are rather obscure as of year 1900.
But still, the point about "this is not EU4" stands.

That said, the Korean princess thing despite long being declared a symbol of ASB marriage PoDs is more plausible that this, because the obstacle lies in mentality while by law this is plausible match. Here I see at least a few contradictions to 1779 (?) Royal Marriages law.

VVD0D95

Banned
That said, the Korean princess thing despite long being declared a symbol of ASB marriage PoDs is more plausible that this, because the obstacle lies in mentality while by law this is plausible match. Here I see at least a few contradictions to 1779 (?) Royal Marriages law.
1772 Royal Marriages Act, which would require the Sovereign to grant approval, and if Victoria is Sovereign then she could grant herself approval. But, the whole thing flies in the face of what Victoria was like as a person as well as societal expectations of the time.

She is head of the ANGLICAN CHURCH. She cannot join another church unless she wants to get overthrown.Sorry mate, but from your whole conversation here, you have shown that you know very little about the politics of the period of the monarchy in general. I really suggest you do a little bit more research before making more points.

I think purely technically The British monarch is Anglican in England, Wales and Ireland, while the moment they cross the border to Scotland, they becomes Reformed. I don’t think any Protestant husband would be a problem, and there’s the precedence of George of Denmark the husband of Queen Anne of England staying a Lutheran, but again he was a prince.

ahmedali

Banned
Victoria could have joined the Dutch church.

No, the Boers weren’t politically Dutch.
Ethnically they are Dutch, but in a language that is different from Dutch

Remember that Holland was very sympathetic to the Boers

They intended to ally with Germany because of their anger at the actions of the British

The Dutch Prince can become the Church of England

Ethnically they are Dutch, but in a language that is different from Dutch

Remember that Holland was very sympathetic to the Boers

They intended to ally with Germany because of their anger at the actions of the British

The Dutch Prince can become the Church of England
Uh...foreign prince consorts were still viewed with suspicion up until the days of Philip of Edinburgh

I think purely technically The British monarch is Anglican in England, Wales and Ireland, while the moment they cross the border to Scotland, they becomes Reformed. I don’t think any Protestant husband would be a problem, and there’s the precedence of George of Denmark the husband of Queen Anne of England staying a Lutheran, but again he was a prince.
Don’t believe that is the case. They aren’t actually the head of the Calvinist Church of Scotland.

Pretorius is not a plausible match. A Dutch prince, on the other hand, is possible, though Victoria did not like the looks of her potential Dutch suitor in OTL.

You all know the only recourse for this premise:

dBMH0E0.jpg

Last edited:
You all know the only recourse for this premise:

dBMH0E0_d.webp
Like even then Victoria's not gonna marry into a kingdom on the ass end of Africa when the clear benefits of Europe are right next to her. That was why the slogan 'European Prince or Naught' was popular during her husband choosing days

I don’t really understand why they cared about Royal blood so much. Pretty sure the idea that monarchs were untouchable demigods ended with Cromwell.
And the Queen Mother was a commoner (technically noble, still not Royal)
Generally, I think inbreeding is bad.
So do we all, but they didn't understand it as well as we do now back then. And the Queen Mother was suitable to be Duchess of York, not Queen. No one expected the Abdication Crisis when Bertie and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon married in 1923. Had Bertie been the heir to the throne at the time of his marriage, you can be damn well sure he'd have married a foreign Princess, not a Scottish Earl's daughter.

Nice, I’ll add it to the directory of implausible AH ideas, justified by voluminous amounts of inapplicable research, that own.

Don’t believe that is the case. They aren’t actually the head of the Calvinist Church of Scotland.
Not the head, just an ordinary (if very high social rank) attendee at Church of Scotland services. Both when resident at Balmoral on holiday or in Edinburgh on official business.

I don't know whether she takes Communion when doing so. AIUI this is usually a quarterly event for CoS Kirks and her visits might not match the schedule at the ones she attends.

Nice, I’ll add it to the directory of implausible AH ideas, justified by voluminous amounts of inapplicable research, that own.
The thread in case anybody shows morbid curiosity.