Crusader Kings III

Here is the second part of the thing I was doing using Crusader Kings III and Microsoft Word:

In the Kingdom of Northumbria, Streoneshalh Monastery in Streanæshealh, , Suffers Repeated by from under their Leaders Ivar “the Boneless” and . Site will Remain Desolate for 200 Years until after the Conquest.

In the Magyar Confederation, Grand Prince Álmos Ügyekfi Orders that all be Raised at the Rally Point Closest to the Magyar Capital,

In the Magyar Confederation, Grand Prince Álmos Ügyekfi Appoints his Chancellor and Champion, Ambrus of Kara ~ Kerman, as Commander of the Magyar Army “Álmos’s Host.”

1st January

The World Celebrates Year's Day, Commemorating the First Day of the Year in the Julian Calendar.

22nd January
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Hordalandic 1st Army of Björgyn ~ 345 Men under the Command of Hólmgeirr ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland to March from the Barony of Sunnhordland into the Tribe of Björgyn, which is being Besieged by the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 787 Men under the Personal Command of Harald “Fairhair.”

5th February
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Hordalandic 1st Army of Björgyn ~ 375 Men under the Command of Holmgeirr ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland to Engage the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 787 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair.” During the Battle, of the Vestfoldian Army, 76 Men are Killed while, of the Hordalandic Army, 128 Men are Slain as they try to Escape.

11th February
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Army of Björgyn ~ now 247 Men under the Command of ~ Retreat from the Tribe of Björgyn to the Barony of Sunnhordland.

20th March
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, a Plague Breaks out in the Hordalandic Capital of Björgyn, which is being Besieged by the Vestfoldian 1st Army of ~ 704 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ meaning many of the Defenders are unable to Man their Posts.

29th March
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Hordalandic 1st Army of Björgyn ~ 247 Men under the Command of ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland to March from the of Harðangr to the of Sunnhordland.

26th April
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Hordalandic 1st Army of Björgyn ~ 277 Men under the Command of ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland to March from the Barony of Sunnhordland to the Tribe of Björgyn, which is being Besieged by the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 697 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair.”

5th May
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, the Defending Garrison of the Hordalandic Capital of Björgyn Surrender to the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 697 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair.” Harald leaves Men as a Garrison to Enforce his Rule and Gold Pieces are Pillaged. Erikr’s Guest Freydís is taken Prisoner by the and Chieftain Harald, Knowing of her high Opinion of him, Decides to take her as his Concubine.

7th May
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, having Completed his War , Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” Writes a Letter to Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland Demanding that he Surrender the Contested Titles.

8th May
In the Chiefdom of Hordaland, Knowing that he is Beaten, Chieftain Erikr of Hordaland Writes to Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” of Vestfold and Agrees to Surrender the Title of Hordaland. He then goes into Self ~ Imposed Exile in with his Courtiers.

In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 697 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Tribe of Björgyn to the Barony of Sunnhordland.

22nd May
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 697 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Barony of Sunnhordland into the Barony of Rygjafylki.

10th June
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 697 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Barony of Ryfylke into the Barony of Veggir.

In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” Assigns his Court Steward, the Godi Arinbjörn, to Fabricate a Claim on the County of Pelamork, which Neighbours Vestfold, and is Currently Claimed by Chieftain Roald of Pelamork.

In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” Assigns his Court Marshal, Guttorm Hjort, to Increase Control of the newly ~ Conquered of Hordaland and Remove Corruption.

9th July
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ now 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Barony of into the Barony of Robyggjalog.

29th July
In the Chiefdom of , the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Barony of Robbygjalog into the Tribe of Prymlingar.

9th August
In the Chiefdom of , the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Tribe of Prymlingar to the Barony of Rygjarbit.

23rd August
In the Chiefdom of , the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Tribe of Rygjarbit to the Barony of Skrnigssalr.

4th September
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the Barony of Skiringssalr to the of Tunsberg.

10th September
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 757 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to Stand down and Return Home.

In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” Writes a Letter to the Chief of Olaand, Chieftain Sveinn, Suggesting that it might be a good idea for his Uncle, Guttorm Sigurdson, to get Married.

In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, Hearing that there are Approaching his Borders, Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” Orders that all of his Armies be Raised at the Rally Point Closest to the Capital of Tunsberg.

19th September
In the Chiefdom of Olaand, Chieftain Sveinn of Olaand Writes a Reply to the Letter from Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” and Accepts his Suggestion that Harald’s Uncle, Guttorm, and Sveinn’s Acquaintance, Gyda, get Married.

22nd September
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 457 Men under the Command of Guðfríor ~ are Ordered by March from the Tribe of into the Barony of Skiringssalr.

4th October
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 457 Men under the Command of Guðfríor ~ are by Ake of to March from the of Skiringssal into the of .

14th October
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 457 Men under the Command of Guðfríor ~ are Ordered by Ake to Engage the Vestfoldian 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 955 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair.” During the Battle, of the 1st Army of Tunsberg, 61 Men are Killed, while, of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla, 232 Men are Slain as they try to Escape, while a further are taken Prisoner.

5th November
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ now 225 Men under the Command of Guðfríor ~ Retreat from the Tribe of Tunsberg into the of Drafn.

13th November
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ now 894 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the of Drafn to the Tribe of Oslo.

26th November
In the Chiefdom of Vestfold, the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 224 Men under the Command of ~ Retreat from the of Ski into the of Stangir.

In the Chiefdom of , the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 225 Men under the Command of ~ Retreat from the of Stangir into the of Ranariki.

5th December
In the Chiefdom of , the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla ~ 225 Men under the Command of ~ Retreat from the of Ranariki into the of Uddevalla.

12th December
In the Chiefdom of , the 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 943 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are Ordered by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the of Stangir into the of Ranariki.

15th December
In the Chiefdom of , the Shattered Remnants of the 1st Raiders of Kungahälla in the of Kungahälla.

23rd December
In the Chiefdom of , the 1st Army of Tunsberg ~ 943 Men under the Personal Command of Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” ~ are by Chieftain Harald “Fairhair” to March from the of Stangir into the of Uddevalla.

In the Kingdom of England, Whitby Abbey in Whitby, North Yorkshire, and its Possessions are Confiscated for the Crown by King Henry VIII of England. The Abbey is Bought by Sir Richard Cholmley, and will Remain in the Cholmley Family and their Descendants, the Strickland Family, until 1920. The Ruins of the Abbey will continue to be used by Sailors as a Landmark at the Headland and a Local Legend will State that as Sea Birds Fly over the Ruined Abbey, they Dip their Wings in Honour of Saint Hilda, and, on Clear Nights, you can Hear the Bells of the Abbey Tolling under the North Sea, the Boat on which they were being Carried to London on having Sunk in a Storm.

I wonder, if you're Catholic, and create another faith as a Catholic rite, can you still take part in crusades if the Pope calls one?
Well I don't think he would be your religious head anymore so I don't think so but you could join crusades called by the religious head you created for your religion.

Well I don't think he would be your religious head anymore so I don't think so but you could join crusades called by the religious head you created for your religion.

With the new Rite tenet you keep your old religious head, but without the Armed Pilgrimages tenet, IDK if you can still crusade.

Decided to pick up CKIII finally after having sat on it for a long while... and my hatred for the Adventurer system has been renewed in turn. I had just established the Kingdom of Ireland forty or so odd years, but now I'm wondering if that had been a mistake, as I was rather swiftly targeted by a Norse Adventurer who had managed to amass a force of ~8800 men, which I have no hope of defeating with the ~3500 levies I can raise; this Adventurer however is also targeting my capital holding in Southern Ireland which I had just finished upgrading and which provides the overwhelming bulk of my levies.
Would allying with a greater power be enough to defeat this Host, provided I can swing it, or should I just cut my losses?
Edit: See below.

Last edited:
Decided to pick up CKIII finally after having sat on it for a long while... and my hatred for the Adventurer system has been renewed in turn. I had just established the Kingdom of Ireland forty or so odd years, but now I'm wondering if that had been a mistake, as I was rather swiftly targeted by a Norse Adventurer who had managed to amass a force of ~8800 men, which I have no hope of defeating with the ~3500 levies I can raise; this Adventurer however is also targeting my capital holding in Southern Ireland which I had just finished upgrading and which provides the overwhelming bulk of my levies.
Would allying with a greater power be enough to defeat this Host, provided I can swing it, or should I just cut my losses?
Depends on how much you want to play Ironman. If you do, you will def need to scrape together a veritable league of allies. If you can take or leave Ironman though, you can start a new Game, and use the Game Rules to toggle Norse adventurers off...

Depends on how much you want to play Ironman. If you do, you will def need to scrape together a veritable league of allies. If you can take or leave Ironman though, you can start a new Game, and use the Game Rules to toggle Norse adventurers off...
It's an Ironman game so... hm.
Well I had quickly married off one of my sisters to get an Alliance with the Kingdom of Wessex and brought them into the conflict, but it only achieved a balance of power that was slightly in my favor. I then got an event I hadn't known would pop up where I could deal with the Host in various ways; I could have gone on fighting them of course, but I could also settle them in my lands or, potentially, pay them off for 200 gold. While my alliance had a couple hundred more men then the Vikings I wasn't sure how our martial score or champions compared, meaning I erred on the side of caution, but giving them control of the entire Duchy was also not tenable.
I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on the Adventurer System now given, I assume, this event always fires, and it gives you a reprieve of fifteen years until you can next be targeted.

It's an Ironman game so... hm.
Well I had quickly married off one of my sisters to get an Alliance with the Kingdom of Wessex and brought them into the conflict, but it only achieved a balance of power that was slightly in my favor. I then got an event I hadn't known would pop up where I could deal with the Host in various ways; I could have gone on fighting them of course, but I could also settle them in my lands or, potentially, pay them off for 200 gold. While my alliance had a couple hundred more men then the Vikings I wasn't sure how our martial score or champions compared, meaning I erred on the side of caution, but giving them control of the entire Duchy was also not tenable.
I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on the Adventurer System now given, I assume, this event always fires, and it gives you a reprieve of fifteen years until you can next be targeted.
So now that you know, the thing will be to build up your armed forces, and your alliances for when they attack the next time...

So now that you know, the thing will be to build up your armed forces, and your alliances for when they attack the next time...
So I tried to follow your advice, I did, but the RNG simply wasn't with me it seems. That and poor planning on my part.
Part of the problem was that playing as the Irish I routinely had four wives who, in turn, gave me plenty of children; in each generation their was a minimum of three sons, meaning the Royal Domain was being consistently divided anytime the crown passed onto the next heir. This eventually resulted in a case where I lost the Duchy of Munster with its four holdings, the "Old Domain", and only kept the Duchy of Meath with its two holdings. I had expected the Duchy of Munster to be divided yet further amongst my other sons which I could then draw back into the fold over time, but a single son ended up with all four. While we had decent enough relations, that hadn't stopped factions from arising before; I had already been deposed once.
The second part, and what I thought of fleetingly as a solution, were the constant Norse Invasions. It seems that they almost always muster (~8800) men, and even with alliances I was never in a position where fighting them was a real possibility. I paid through the nose each time to keep them at bay until I was deposed, at which point the new King fought a losing effort to keep the Duchy of Ulster. At that point I still held six holdings and was able to without bloodshed depose the "false" king within a year or so, subsequently taking back Ulster, though two holdings remained outside Irish control and in the hands of Vassal Norse. At this point I hatched a plan where I could "ask" that they convert to Insular Christianity, at which point they'd hopefully decline and I could then imprison them. Both revolted, both were put down, both were thrown into the dungeon with their families; I simply had to wait for them to die.
Now some years down the line this king has died and his son has taken the throne, but the Duchy of Meath and the Duchy of Munster have been divided between the two eldest. Not yet sure how to deal with my younger brother I'm hit with another Norse Invasion, this one aimed at the Duchy of Munster where all my brother's holdings are. In what I thought was a shrewd move, I opted to let the Vikings settle the Duchy in return for vassalage. To my surprise however, when I went to demand his conversion he actually agreed, and with straight revocation or imprisonment not an option given other vassals would rise alongside him, I had to resort to poisoning him. His sister then inherited, who in turn also converted when asked. At this point I noticed that the next in line was apparently a Chieftan in the Kingdom of Norway, so I opted to leave her well enough alone in the hopes of finding a justification later. This didn't keep her from inconveniencing me by dying in combat (in one of her own wars within the Irish Kingdom), with a third of Ireland then moving in Norwegian hands.
The final act of that game was a last ditch effort to reconquer the region with the help of Allies, but despite having the numbers and the better general we somehow managed to lose the critical battle which effectively decided the war. I was then met with the demands of a Faction to dissolve the Kingdom of Ireland.
So the two lessons I learned:
  1. Always pay off the Norse Invasions unless you actually have the manpower to beat back the invasion. Allowing them to take control of a Duchy, particularly a larger one, is liable to give you headaches down the line. Money on the other hand is fairly cheap and can be accrued rather quickly.
  2. Never move the Royal Domain into a smaller Duchy. In hindsight I made a huge mistake moving the capitol from Munster to Dublin, and I'm not sure if it would have been worth the move even if I had gone Feudal and started constructing new holdings.

So I just wrapped up my first real game on Ironman, and I have quite a bit to say about the experience. First however I will display a number of relevant screens showcasing the CK3 World as it then existed in 1453; the only one missing which I would have liked to have posted would have been one on Direct Vassals as, that is quite a bit of a mess given the way Feudal Laws currently work, though I'll get into that later.
FnTZuiE.jpg
JcseMcN.jpg
NWoXmgg.jpg
w18KWJC.jpg
eY8NWZJ.png
IiA54pD.png
In order to revitalize my interest in Crusader Kings I had opted to take the Achievement Hunting route, and after having succeeded conquering the British Isles as the Norse, I thought it was only fair that I try may hand at recreating the Roman Empire. The start was slow as I consolidated my holdings along the Straits and worked to jumpstart the local economy, but I also been eyeing the Cultural Tradition "By the Sword", which I had planned to enable me to make massive landgrabs in Arabia and Egypt when the time came without having to worry about a cooldown. I took Syria in 898, took Jerusalem in 949, and then took Egypt in 951. With the Eastern Border largely secure I then turned my attention to the Balkans, Northern Africa and Italy. Holy Ducal Wars were enough to solve the Balkans and Northern Africa, though I instead had to rely on fabricating claims with my Patriarch to punch into Italy beyond the Sicilian portion. Took quite a bit of time to land the correct Duchies in their entirety especially with the Pope; I hadn't known I would be unable to revoke his final title and would have to defeat him in a war, and the first time around I accidentally set it as a De Jure War rather than a Claims War. Interestingly he becomes or remains your vassal when he has no land to his name, and he would like clockwork request Crusades to take back certain Kingdoms for the Catholic faith; I had elevated the Orthodox faith shortly after having taken Rome however, so the number of knights and levies under Catholic banners was always dwarfed by those under Roman flags. Also made it a point to always have the current Pope be made the Court Jester given how seriously I was taking his declarations by the end.
After having formed the initial Roman Empire, I then made it a goal to achieve Rome's historical boundaries, believing that there may be another hidden achievement for doing so (there isn't). However at this point I had also started to take note of the growing pains that came with creating an Empire that goes beyond its De Jure borders, and Independence factions were fairly commonplace as a threat, though thankfully they didn't fire often. This lead me to noticing the lack of control I actually have over my subjects as the Byzantines, at least in comparison to CK2; there, the Ducal and Kingly titles were not inherited, and would be returned to the Emperor who in turn would appoint a new holder for said title. Not having this system, it was every easy for my vassals to move into camps which opposed me, but it also promoted bloat amongst the Despots who would never lose their title, especially once I banned inter-vassal wars. This move only promoted them to then drive their aggressions outside my borders which, while certainly part of my intention, I hadn't expected them to be as successful as they were. The pacification of Russia, Persia, Afghanistan and Central Asia was all done outside of my control, as was much of Sahelian Africa, the Sudan and the Horn. These made the "growing pains" worse, with more vassals consequently being outside of De Jure territory, but it was thankfully done at such a pace as to make it tolerable.
I will say though that by the late game, even before I had claimed all the original Roman territories as far as the game is concerned, it began to get remarkably boring. Gold was no longer an object as I had so much of it, was routinely earning about (500) a month when the armies were not mustered, and it make even the more expensive events not even annoyances; my favorite stress break routine became the one where you are donating funds like crazy to reduce your stress, as I was making in a month or two what it would take away from me anyway. Sending children to Universities is incredibly expensive, least until it amounts to three months of taxes, or a single letter asking the Patriarch for funds. As a resource it just became meaningless.
I will not even mention the Royal Court, as useless as it is. Artifacts were nice until they started spilling out of the walls.
I will say that I do like the way that the Armies work now, where you can muster them anywhere within a semi-reasonable amount of time which seems dependent on the distance between your various lands to the "mustering ground", and that they have to deal with supply and cannot campaign indefinitely. I will say though that I never took as much advantage of the logistics system as I should once my army was amply supplied with Trebuchets/Bombards, as with three maxed Regiments of those things I was tearing down Fortresses like they were nothing; my Death Stack could accomplish its objectives in about half a year at worst, with the war ending shortly before or after the men had started taking starvation attrition. I'm not sure how this can be combatted given how horrifically effective it is, as it has the ability to siege out entire kingdoms in a matter of months, whereas being too large for an enemy army to fight it.
Culture... culture is a weird one. I really like the concept and the idea that cultures can diverge over time, adopt ideas from other cultures and as a result birth new ones, but I think that the execution is not as well done as it could have been. Initially as I was playing one of my side goals was to promote Greek culture everywhere I could, in an effort to create new hybrid-cultures that were heavily based in Greek Philosophy and Culture. What I had not been expecting was that the Greek Culture itself was going to experience divergences, the first big one being the Lebanese who adopted Arab customs; I had expected these divergences to be much smaller in scale, limited maybe to the dimensions of a duchy from which it would have to spread organically, rather than entire swathes of the Empire converting over at once. It certainly complicated my plans to push Greek everywhere, and you on the Culture Map can see there are a great many Greek adjacent Cultures that arose over the course of the game. I'd label that a mixed success, though I'd argue that there need to be restrictions on conversion size and how the dominant culture in a nation is hybridized (I don't see Greeks dropping Greek for Arabic in a Greek Empire for instance).
And those are my thoughts on the endgame at least. I had contemplated a World Conquest, but neither did I think it any longer tenable by that point in the game, nor did I have the desire to micromanage the Fabrication Plots to that extent. Just am going to have to be content with having surpassed both the Alexandrine and Roman Empires.

Question for those who have played... how often have you managed to get a Court Poet? Despite playing over six hundred years of game I think I myself only had been able to appoint a Court Poet a handful of times.

Did they improve the AI as they said they'd do with this update? I'm playing a corny visual novel right now so, no time to re-install CK3 and check. :p

I am debating using the Character designer to make a Corlys, Rhaenys, Laenor and Laena based off of the HOTD show. I know AGOT mod is forthcoming but they're not going to have them look like the show versions and I just have come to love the designs.