To the Victor, Go the Spoils (Redux): A Plausible Central Powers Victory

Kaisar Wilhelm II being the reasonable guy in the room? Even compared to OHL? Le gasp.

(jk. he gets an unfair reputation to an extent)

excellent update

Kaisar Wilhelm II being the reasonable guy in the room? Even compared to OHL? Le gasp.

(jk. he gets an unfair reputation to an extent)

excellent update
Yeah he isn’t completely unreasonable, it’s just that he is naturally conservative in both his political stance and habits. And really doesn’t like to think deeply on change.

Yeah he isn’t completely unreasonable, it’s just that he is naturally conservative in both his political stance and habits. And really doesn’t like to think deeply on change.
Willy wasn’t necessarily that bad or even dumb, he just was never taught the crucial skill of learning when to shut the fuck up

Anyways - great update! Was having withdrawals from this TL so I’m glad to see it back!

He was always a reasonable person in OTL, if consumed by sentiment and with a terminal case of foot-in-mouth-syndrome

To an Extent?
Yeah, to an extent. He wasn't exactly the most reasonable of men all of the time, and while he wasn't the only one behind Germany's obsessive naval push that led to the arms race with Britain, he was a huge pusher for it. There's also things like the "Mad March Hares" comment - by all available evidence, Wilhelm did have something of a foot in mouth problem, to say the least, and he could be quite impulsive at the worst moments, but combine that with a lack of confidence and he could thus freeze up at also the worstmoments.

So yes, to an extent, his reputation is unfair, but it didn't come entirely out of nowhere. His modern reputation is a combination of yes, character assassination during and after WWI, and also an exaggeration of his real flaws (because he did have quite a few, as most people do).

I mean, compared to Cousin Nicky, Wilhelm II was a paragon of Imperial competence in wartime, but he was not exactly the best man for the job.

So it seems the worse has been avoided in Germany, unless you were a Bolshevik partisan seeking to use people's anger and misery at your own profit of course... In which case I guess too bad sanity prevailed for once.

I'm also glad to see Maximilian of Baden is in the Chancellor' s office. This is a great idea. He truly was an interesting figure and hopefully his tenure in TTL will allow him to show history what he was capable of. If he does well, he's bound to restore some of the popular support the German monarchy lost in those closing months of the war.

This is a very good story

I'm also glad to see Maximilian of Baden is in the Chancellor' s office. This is a great idea.
Won't lie was slightly worried people would think it's 'too close to OTL' or something, so kinda glad it's gone down well aha

He wouldn't have been the option if he wasn't just frankly a pretty plausible, convenient figure really.

Map of Europe as of the signing of the Treaty of Zurich
DIywLb4.png

Last edited:
me seeing these borders.png

I'm sure you put a lot of work in this and the map looks great, but those french-german and belgian-german borders are just... Btw which software you used to make the map?

DIywLb4.png

Nice map! Now for a question, shouldn't Prussia have annexed that area further north of Luxembourg? Or is it just an Imperial Territory, like Alsace–Lorraine is/was? Also, I'm very concerned for Armenia, I'm expecting the worst for it....... as I always do in these CP victory TL's, and it looks like to me that the Russian intervention is ending even quicker.