Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Though I think I read the elector actually thought John Quincy Adams would do a better job, throughout the 20tgh century the idea was that a man gave Adams anelectoral vote to keep MOnrow from being unanimous, letting Washington have the honoe of the only unanimous choice.

So, in the biggest blowouts, if FDR in '36, Nixon in '72, or Reagan in '84 had carried all the states, who would 1-2 electors vote for to keep Washington as the only unanimous one?

WI'm thinking Reagan in '72 could get one, not sure about the others.Although maybe you'd just have one elector in a very close state opt to give his or hers to the opponent.

Could the Russo-Japanese War have spiraled out of control (the attack on British fishing ships by mistake spiraling into Britain DOWing Russia since Russia mishandled the accident?) How would this have affected Europe's politics?
Would it also affect WWI since that would have ruined the alliance system?

The problem with such a scenario is that, assuming Italy holds the Balearics and Ceuta (add the rest of Spanish Morocco as well if needed) for WW2 and the Spanish Civil War, is that Italy will need to stay neutral, be Allied or be victorious with the Axis in WW2 (with more important effects globally than what will happen to Italy or its aforementioned annexations for all 3 aforementioned scenarios, although Italy will hold such territories until general global decolonization in the 3 previously mentioned scenarios or today, especially in the 3rd scenario) or such Italian annexations will be permanently lost to the Western (non-Soviet) Allies, Soviets or the neutral/ Allied Spanish in WW2 through conquest or unconditional Italian surrender when WW2 ends with unconditional surrender of Italy and a subsequent peace treaty with Italy at Paris in 1947. Italian colonization of such areas will include the spreading of Italian fascist and imperialist propaganda and culture, plus persecution of the dissidents and non-whites there, especially in originally Moroccan Ceuta before Ceuta was colonized by the Portuguese and the Spanish, followed by the Italians in this scenario.

Last edited:
What would Eduardo Gomes likely do with the WW2 reparations in the case of his victory in 1945 (irrelevant how he gets there)?
Did he have any big campaign prromises?

Though I think I read the elector actually thought John Quincy Adams would do a better job, throughout the 20tgh century the idea was that a man gave Adams anelectoral vote to keep MOnrow from being unanimous, letting Washington have the honoe of the only unanimous choice.

So, in the biggest blowouts, if FDR in '36, Nixon in '72, or Reagan in '84 had carried all the states, who would 1-2 electors vote for to keep Washington as the only unanimous one?
For 1972 and 1984, the point is moot because McGovern and Mondale would have carried DC regardless, guaranteeing them a bare minimum of three electoral votes.

For FDR, you could only get a proper answer if you could read the minds of long-dead people.

Deleted member 180541

What would the French post-war gains look like if Paris is destroyed?

marktaha

Banned
'Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia Swap Reputations'.

That is, the crimes of Stalin's USSR become the gold standard for evil in the Western imagination long after its heyday, whereas those of Hitler's Germany remain a close (albeit lesser-known) second.
Russia the aggressive and expansionist power in the 30s.

Has there ever been a civil war in a modern developed country (post-1960)? (The Troubles in Northern Ireland, UK isn't bloody enough to count)? I've heard that "there has never been a civil war in a modern developed country post-1960", but I want to double check.

Has there ever been a civil war in a modern developed country (post-1960)? (The Troubles in Northern Ireland, UK isn't bloody enough to count)? I've heard that "there has never been a civil war in a modern developed country post-1960", but I want to double check.
That all depends on how you define 'modern developed country.' There's a list of civil wars on wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_wars#Since_1945?uselang=en-gb. Personally I would say that there's a few countries on the list which count as 'modern' and 'developed' - but others' opinions may differ.

If a President of the United States ends his term prematurely, by assassination or something else and his VP becomes President for the remainder of the term, can he run for a third term because his first one isn't a full one?
Say Reagan is successfuly assassinated by John Hinkley in 1981, then George H. W. Bush becomes President. He wins re-election in 1984, would he be allowed to run again in 1988?

If a President of the United States ends his term prematurely, by assassination or something else and his VP becomes President for the remainder of the term, can he run for a third term because his first one isn't a full one?
Say Reagan is successfuly assassinated by John Hinkley in 1981, then George H. W. Bush becomes President. He wins re-election in 1984, would he be allowed to run again in 1988?
In that particular case, he wouldn't be allowed to run again, because he'd have served more than two years of Reagan's term.
The relevant text from the 22nd Amendment to the USA's constitution is:
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.​

In that particular case, he wouldn't be allowed to run again, because he'd have served more than two years of Reagan's term.
The relevant text from the 22nd Amendment to the USA's constitution is:
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.​
Thanks