REDUX: Place In The Sun: What If Italy Joined The Central Powers?

Also, we only know of one part of the battle, and it was very much bad for the French as well. For all we know the Italians won.
It feels very much like I thought when i predicted a Jutland type scenario, where both got hammered but you can see either side spinning it in their favor. I'm interested to see how close I got with the guess.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
The Austrians are gloating from safety, while the Entente's job just got a whole lot easier.
Austrians:
1657695119611.png

It feels very much like I thought when i predicted a Jutland type scenario, where both got hammered but you can see either side spinning it in their favor. I'm interested to see how close I got with the guess.
Probably in a way where Italians sunk a lot more but the French manage to take out the pride of the italian fleet. So kinda moral victory for the French more material for the Italians.

Probably in a way where Italians sunk a lot more but the French manage to take out the pride of the italian fleet. So kinda moral victory for the French more material for the Italians.
Short term italian loss but long term more damage to the French cause they don't have the shipyards to repair their losses, while the Italians still have the Austrian fleet to call upon

Italy losing a dreadnought hurts worse than France losing a couple of Dantons. Especially with the Bretagnes scheduled to commission when the year rolls over.

Not the end of the world, there's only three Bretagnes; the Andrea Doria's almost finished, and the Duilio is technically ready for action. Guess this means the Caracciolos get finished too.

Not the end of the world, there's only three Bretagnes; the Andrea Doria's almost finished, and the Duilio is technically ready for action. Guess this means the Caracciolos get finished too.
Sure, but the Bretagnes give the French a numerical edge even without losing Cavour. As for the Caracciolos, they're not going to get completed anytime soon and the same pressures that led to their suspension still apply. If the war ends early they may end up completing the first two, but that's probably it.

Sure, but the Bretagnes give the French a numerical edge even without losing Cavour. As for the Caracciolos, they're not going to get completed anytime soon and the same pressures that led to their suspension still apply. If the war ends early they may end up completing the first two, but that's probably it.
I meant completed near the end of the war (or after), of course.

Maybe, but numbers are only half the fight. AFAIK Amadeo caught the French with their pants down; a more coordinated attack might yield better results.

The Austrians can add 4 dreadnoughts and a couple of semi-dreadnoughts. Their pre-dreadnoughts were hot garbage (not that the Tegethoff-class dreadnoughts were great ... or good ... still, that's 12 12" rifles per ship and as long as no-one torpedoes them they'd be able to take a hit or three).

Austria had stopped construction of their two additional 13,5" dreadnoughts, but could restart construction if pressed and with one front less they'd have more reasons and resources to do so. Their STT shipyards at Trieste worked pretty fast IOTL and they might have those two in service towards the end of the war.