For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Wait what the North Koreans got there before they did??? And who is this guy that just showed up?
I guess we don’t necessarily know when he got their. Could’ve been before the others, could’ve been weeks after. Also, I doubt there are ANY long-range communications on that ship.

I would also raise a counterpoint, just for fun mind you, to those who find these events implausible: what about Kim Jong Il IOTL makes you think he wouldn’t do it ITTL?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I guess we don’t necessarily know when he got their. Could’ve been before the others, could’ve been weeks after. Also, I doubt there are ANY long-range communications on that ship.

I would also raise a counterpoint, just for fun mind you, to those who find these events implausible: what about Kim Jong Il IOTL makes you think he wouldn’t do it ITTL?

He might do it, but he would brag about his success all over the world. Of course spacecraft would be designed by Kim, built under his glorious guidance and the Koreans would claim the whole Mars or at least everything north of the 38th parallel.

If they know they got there then they'll crow about it, if they don't know then they'll not mention it. That was the common Soviet way after all.

North Korea somehow not only having a space program but being able to send a human to Mars is the shows jump the shark moment.

Just really dude? My eyes rolled when I realized what the writers did.

Well did not see that ending coming, though they did mention that "probe" was launched in the 94 window so it must have been launched around the same time as the others. It would be funning if this dude was actually first but we will need to wait and see on that. I hoping he wasn't as that would be nuts. I was honestly expecting a dead body which would have been more believable but still produced a WTF moment.

While they have not said it directly I do like the implications that, while a bunch of people are now out of work, the normal recession you might expect isn't happening due to energy prices dropping so much so that while people are out of work everything got cheaper allowing those still with jobs to have more purchasing power.

While President Ellen has done what she can to protect NASA's budget I think Margo being revealed as a spy is what will allow the Speaker of the House to push through congress taking NASA's budget but likely after NASA has already bought Pheonix which makes a great deep space exploration platform.

Also, the Nuclear Starship renders looked cool

Holly Molly, did they really used the "lost cosmonaut" idea, but in Noth Korea version?

And how long could such a person survive there, alone?

People were joking/theorizing about North Korea sending a person to Mars on the For All Mankind subreddit, but I didn't expect they would actually do just that. It is pretty dumb, but I'm still excited to see the finale (and Season 4).

Also, this is what a minimalist Mars mission would look like (KSP Real Solar System)

Last edited:
North Korea somehow not only having a space program but being able to send a human to Mars is the shows jump the shark moment.

Just really dude? My eyes rolled when I realized what the writers did.
I don't see them having a space programme is that out of the question, earlier on in this season it's been established the major space powers have been selling their tech (indeed, thats why they are there, to get a Soviet gizmo from the probe). DPRK was fairly affluent during the Cold War, especially compared to the last couple of decades.

I guess the North Korean flew alone, or in a crew of two, and may have arrived earlier, but with damaged comms, the North Korea government believed the ship had crashed and didn't announce it.
So they now have a USA-USSR-Helios-North Korea mission and the fact that the first person in Mars is North Korean can push the US government into letting the show move on for season 4

I need your opinion.

The fact that America lost to the Moon race to the Soviets was hard, but...how will they react to the fact the NASA was beaten to Mars by freakin' North Korea? The country every other nation makes fun of as the World's greatest joke?

I need your opinion.

The fact that America lost to the Moon race to the Soviets was hard, but...how will they react to the fact the NASA was beaten to Mars by freakin' North Korea? The country every other nation makes fun of as the World's greatest joke?
How will the Soviets react wheb they hear they were beaten by a country using mostly their OLD tech...

Why is everyone saying the DPRK ship was manned in the most recent episode? I thought it was supposed to be a probe?

Why is everyone saying the DPRK ship was manned in the most recent episode? I thought it was supposed to be a probe?
Because when Danielle and Kuznietsov reach the DPRK probe they are met by an Asiatic looking guy in a spacesuit and with a gun in his hand? (I am not sure if he had a badge with North Korean flag or not)

How will the Soviets react wheb they hear they were beaten by a country using mostly their OLD tech...

I mean, it's primarily an engineering problem if your goal is to get an astronaut/cosmonaut to Mars, but don't care if they come home. The DPRK just basically yeeted a guy across the inner Solar System in a modified Soyuz capsule with 0 chance of coming home for the glory of Kim Il-Sung.

I think the question now is: Who's going to be left behind on Mars? Danielle won't leave the Korean Cosmonaut on Mars, she's too NASA for that. They lost two astronauts rescuing the Soviet Mars 1 crew in deep space. There's no way she's going to leave Best Korea's #1 Cosmonaut-who-totally-drank-his-own-urine-for-months on Mars to die slowly. In that thread, I think Ed is going to volunteer to stay behind on Mars because of that wound on his side. He's still getting salves for the pain, I think we're going to find out that he isn't healing in the low gravity and radiation on the surface. So the return to Earth will have the surviving Soviets, Danielle and the NASA crew, Helios, and our new addition from Best Korea.

Let me guess: you have not watched the last episode?

Also, I notice this reminds me of an old Italian-made conspiracy/urban legend on Space Race:

Some stories talk about supposed "probes" who were said to be actually man-manned, but it was kept hidden. Maybe this old legend inspired the writers?

Let me guess: you have not watched the last episode?

Also, I notice this reminds me of an old Italian-made conspiracy/urban legend on Space Race:

Some stories talk about supposed "probes" who were said to be actually man-manned, but it was kept hidden. Maybe this old legend inspired the writers?
So I rewatched the episode and paid closer attention.
Yep, he's got a North Korean Flag on his suit. What the fuck? Where are they gonna go with this?