Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If Henry VII had a twin sister how would he deal with her once he became king?
Well, assuming Margaret* does survive giving birth to twins (very iffy since she almost died giving birth to Henry) she'd probably be married off to an ally of the Yorks (William Herbert himself is possible). So chances are that if Henry still becomes King, Margaret is probably going to be already married, so she'll probably get her choice of husband if/when her present husband dies. If she isn't married then she might be married off as a proxy, probably James III or some continental Duke/Ruler.

We often hear about the awesome armies of history. What about the inept/underwhelming armies of history? The "anti-badass armies" to put it this way? Armies that ended up being big disappointments?

Well, assuming Margaret* does survive giving birth to twins (very iffy since she almost died giving birth to Henry) she'd probably be married off to an ally of the Yorks (William Herbert himself is possible). So chances are that if Henry still becomes King, Margaret is probably going to be already married, so she'll probably get her choice of husband if/when her present husband dies. If she isn't married then she might be married off as a proxy, probably James III or some continental Duke/Ruler.
Got it, thank you :)

Alright; so during the original expansion of the Caliphate; how likely would it be for the Arabs to be able to take Egypt but for the Byzantines to hold onto Palestine and Syria? Or would geography make this situation too difficult to sustain?

Let's suppose that Britain, under a Liberal majority, joins with Russia during the Russo-Turkic War of 1877. Well, not so much joins with Russia. More of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend." IOTL, Russia sought to regain Bessarabia and gain the Port of Batum. I'm wondering what sort of agreement Russia and Britain could reach in this war. I'm thinking Britian asks for full de jure independence of Egypt, leading to the British making Egypt a puppet about a decade early, but what would Britain, under a Liberal majority led by Gladstone, be comfortable giving to the Russians?

If Jane Grey had had issue with her husband would she keep the throne? @isabella
I’d lean no, Mary had a lot of support and a solid arguement for her claim plus AIUI the Dudley were rather unpopular at the time. Plus Jane only married Guildford in May 1553, so there’s no time for her to fall pregnant and produce issue before Edward dies, unless he lives longer (which could butterfly her ascension away entirely).

Someone knowledgeable in British history, I have a question about the 1874 general election. Just a simple: why? Why did Gladstone call an election?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Let's suppose that Britain, under a Liberal majority, joins with Russia during the Russo-Turkic War of 1877. Well, not so much joins with Russia. More of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend." IOTL, Russia sought to regain Bessarabia and gain the Port of Batum. I'm wondering what sort of agreement Russia and Britain could reach in this war. I'm thinking Britian asks for full de jure independence of Egypt, leading to the British making Egypt a puppet about a decade early, but what would Britain, under a Liberal majority led by Gladstone, be comfortable giving to the Russians?
Twenty years on from the Crimean War

,,, but then the Crimean War was less than 30 years on from Navarino

so, nothing is impossible in great power relations.

You've got to throw in the Sudan and Equatoria with Egypt or you have a very weird set up where Ottoman suzerainty continues South of Egypt.

If Britain has joined Russia then it clearly accepts Russian aims in Bessarabia and Batoum. Maybe it would agree that Russia could have all of Armenia, if they could take it?

The English reformation included giving mass in the vernacular, rather than Latin. To this end, they had the Bible and Book of Common Prayer translated into Welsh; therefore, the new Church was seen as a vehicle for Welsh cultural revival by some, and the Church made steady progress in the areas in theory most opposed to English dominance.

They distinctly didn't do this in Ireland.

So what if the Tudor conquest of Ireland involved lots of Irish language Bibles? And the Anglican Church promoted the use of Irish? Could the reformation be more successful in Ireland?

The English reformation included giving mass in the vernacular, rather than Latin. To this end, they had the Bible and Book of Common Prayer translated into Welsh; therefore, the new Church was seen as a vehicle for Welsh cultural revival by some, and the Church made steady progress in the areas in theory most opposed to English dominance.

They distinctly didn't do this in Ireland.

So what if the Tudor conquest of Ireland involved lots of Irish language Bibles? And the Anglican Church promoted the use of Irish? Could the reformation be more successful in Ireland?

I mean, they did. An Irish translation of the New Testament was published in 1602 with the full Bible being made available in Irish in 1690; and this was very distinctly an effort by the Church of Ireland to consolidate its gains in the island. It just ... wasn't particularly successful.

wi : constatine and the next roman emperor stay christian, thus making europe remain mostly pagan.

how would this impact the spread of islam ?

Yeah it can be easy to get lost in all the noise this thread can become. Asking fairly niche questions can also get few responses, as I have found a few times.
As somebody that took a nearly decade long hiatus from this board, the culture has changed where people would enthusiastically speculate without a hint of any sources to folks not feeling comfortable leaving a response without academic fueled certainty that their presumptions are more than reasonable.

I gotta say, it makes AH more credible now and more informative about how and why the events of OTL unfolded in the way that they did, however, I miss the days from years ago where many people didn't fully know what they were talking about and just wanted a casual discussion about very niche what ifs.