The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Does anybody have a Q-BAM with some small sea level rise (1 to 10 meters)?
Ight so I decided to pull myself up the bootstraps and make some Qbammys (probably not too accurate but eh)
SUPER_QBAM_ADVANCED.png

Attachments

• seleiv.png
    seleiv.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 951
Hey, I've been working on the Ganges, but the locator maps on wikipedia have different administrative boundaries, which makes it somewhat confusing to base it off of that map since theres just a couple discrepancies. This is mainly with their second-level divisions, but there are a few first level divisions which have some small differences between these maps and the qbam ones we edited.
I was wondering how much of India we ended up working on. I know we did coastlines, 3rd and 4th lvl divisions in a few states, but was there a big patch for India and the surrounding India? It's just throwing me off a bit working with different maps, and I'd like to know if I need to go through and make a couple patches here and there

Last edited:
I just found out that the eastern part of the Oregon-Washington border is one pixel higher than the North-South Dakota border. Both borders are defined along the 46th parallel, and from what I can tell based on the Oklahoma-Kansas (37th parallel), Kansas-Nebraska (40th parallel), Nebraska-South Dakota (43rd parallel), and US-Canada (49th parallel) borders, it's more likely that it's the Oregon-Washington border that is misplaced by one pixel, and therefore also misplaced other historical borders in the borderpool.
Actually, the ND/SD line is specifically based on 45'55 because of the Coteau des Prairies

View attachment 761363

Similar to what I did in the M-BAM thread, this is a small QBAM patch for Moldavia 1483 AD, made by shrinking then tracing the MBAM one.
If it's alright to ask, an integral part of these patches I've noticed a lot lately are just labelling. I've seen hundreds of works like these, but I haven't a single clue on to how to "label" them. Like, "What is that pixelated font everybody uses?" "What kind of program are people using to label?" etc. If you have any possible answers to this, I am kindly asking, as it's driven me up the wall.

If it's alright to ask, an integral part of these patches I've noticed a lot lately are just labelling. I've seen hundreds of works like these, but I haven't a single clue on to how to "label" them. Like, "What is that pixelated font everybody uses?" "What kind of program are people using to label?" etc. If you have any possible answers to this, I am kindly asking, as it's driven me up the wall.
font: 04b03 or kroeger05_55 or sth.
program: I use photoshop, but anything from Paint.NET, to MS Paint to GIMP works.

Lake Puma Yumco.png

Forgot to mention this, I made a change to a lake called Lake Puma Yumco. Originally, it was underneath but that was a mistake on my part.

Hey sorry to Barge in, i just wanted to ask whats the scale exactly of the QBAM map, i need it to calculate surface area.
Scale doesn't help you with distortion and the Q-BAM is very distorted in regards to longitude. Unless you are dealing with a really small area of it that's either close to the equator or shaped like a known shape before beign distorted by the projection.

You'd need to find the mathemathical formulae for the creation of the Kavrayskiy VII map projection's longitude, which is think is in wikipedia, first of all. Then either convert it to a more friendly cartesian coordinate system and then you could use some basic integration to get your area... Or you could automate it if you want far more precision.

Or you could do the challenging thing and do it through a non-euclidean system of trigonometric coordinates. Though for that you'd need some knowledge of mathematical manifolds.

Whatever method you choose, I'd recommend doing through programming...

Or ignore all of the above and get GProjector which does all of those things already; which is something I just remembered. Insert facepalm here.

Scale doesn't help you with distortion and the Q-BAM is very distorted in regards to longitude. Unless you are dealing with a really small area of it that's either close to the equator or shaped like a known shape before beign distorted by the projection.

You'd need to find the mathemathical formulae for the creation of the Kavrayskiy VII map projection's longitude, which is think is in wikipedia, first of all. Then either convert it to a more friendly cartesian coordinate system and then you could use some basic integration to get your area... Or you could automate it if you want far more precision.

Or you could do the challenging thing and do it through a non-euclidean system of trigonometric coordinates. Though for that you'd need some knowledge of mathematical manifolds.

Whatever method you choose, I'd recommend doing through programming...

Or ignore all of the above and get GProjector which does all of those things already; which is something I just remembered. Insert facepalm here.
Thanks.

While I usually stick to historical patches, some of my alt-hists have required internals, and @Admiral A. Kolchak 's concerns about Chinese internals on the Q-BAM have led me to producing this:
Zi9eVlG.png

So far this is just a teaser, but I've cleaned up the base internals that Kolchak already provided awhile ago, and have finished Yunnan

While I usually stick to historical patches, some of my alt-hists have required internals, and @Admiral A. Kolchak 's concerns about Chinese internals on the Q-BAM have led me to producing this:
Zi9eVlG.png

So far this is just a teaser, but I've cleaned up the base internals that Kolchak already provided awhile ago, and have finished Yunnan
Pretty good, especially with the lakes, great detail there, though you missed Xinfengjiang Resevoir in Guangdong, and Qiandao Lake I think is a bit more linear than that. Furthermore, Weishan Lake seems to have drifted off into Zaozhuang a bit, even though it should actually straddle the border between Jiangsu and Shandong. I think this is a consequence of how central China in the bad QBAM internals is weirdly stretched upwards, so Weishan ends up a bit northwards of where it's supposed to be. Other than that, I implore everyone to adopt this as the standard for the modern day PRC.

There are some things about the borders, especially parts of the Hunan-Jiangxi border, that look a bit weird to my eyes, but that's probably the projection distortion. Is this thread a good place to bring up how pseudocylindrical projections are not really suiteable for this kind of map? anyways...

I'm honestly a bit dubious of the common convention of depicting the Autonomous Regions in a lighter shade, as if to imply that they're meaningfully self-governing. China is a unitary state, after all. But I suppose this is up to preference.

There is also the issue that certain parts of Qinghai and Inner Mongolia are de facto administered by prefectures in neighbouring province-level units, I am not sure what the QBAM custom for depicting this is. There is also a territorial dispute between Inner Mongolia and Gansu.

I decided to make a quick map of the contemporaneous claimed ROC divisions of the mainland, in case it's useful. I didn't add in any of the ROC's additional border disputes, or the changed boundary of Tuva, this is exclusively concerned with the differences in internal administrative boundaries. It might be a bit off in some places, it's not based on rigorous projections.

1663052917431.png

Last edited: