L’Aigle Triomphant: A Napoleonic Victory TL

Frenchmen bake and eat pain every day :p
I foresee Spanish territorial losses then
Catalonia has always wanted to leave Spain and has always had a great French influence.
1656107106074.png

maybe give part to the french on the portuguese throne forming long portugal (portugal + galicia)
liberate navarra and maintain a puppet republic. or just create 4 more kingdoms

1656107341866.png

The fueros system is more or less what I had in mind; it’s an easy way to get the badly needed decentralization but also functions straightforwardly in Carlos V’s rather blinkered wheelhouse
this is not without its dangers. It can facilitate independence and as in domino as soon as one falls all fall.

Catalonia has always wanted to leave Spain and has always had a great French influence.
View attachment 753268
maybe give part to the french on the portuguese throne forming long portugal (portugal + galicia)
liberate navarra and maintain a puppet republic. or just create 4 more kingdoms

View attachment 753269
Honestly, I could see France getting Navarre as well, thanks to it's old claims as well as just reuniting the Basques together. Also surprised they didn't grab the Majorque Islands, those make for excellent naval bases.

Therein lies the rub
It is not uncommon for a dictatorial power that tries to be more liberal to completely lose control and fall apart. China is full of examples like this.
Honestly, I could see France getting Navarre as well, thanks to it's old claims as well as just reuniting the Basques together. Also surprised they didn't grab the Majorque Islands, those make for excellent naval bases.
it was more due to it being an alliance and not a coup. With the brainless heir things are going to get complicated for spain, as soon as he makes a mistake they are likely to catch it. True, Navarre has an ancient relationship with France, a great target for annexation.
If that happens, the people who laugh are the Bragança in Brazil. Saying it's divine punishment for supporting a man who sees himself above god and betraying the brother nation.
A marriage to a Spanish princess (one fleeing the war in spain) would give legitimacy necessary for the Bragança to try to get the Vicerei de la Plata (the land they want the most after Portugal).
But at the moment napoleon needs peace and tranquility, although we have to see if he can stand being still that long.

Last edited:
this is the big problem with men like napoleon, alexander, caesar, etc. They can't stop, they always need more stimulation. Be it war or intrigue the moment they have nothing to do is the moment they start making mistakes. Napoleon is not a creature that stands still, he always wants more. Perhaps the focus will be on the heir (but he's too young to be very interesting), a North African adventure would be ideal. Close enough for him to be protected, but far enough away from Europe. Or maybe a war in spain. Without other fronts like Russia, the war will be faster, especially with Napoleon's leadership.

this is the big problem with men like napoleon, alexander, caesar, etc. They can't stop, they always need more stimulation. Be it war or intrigue the moment they have nothing to do is the moment they start making mistakes. Napoleon is not a creature that stands still, he always wants more. Perhaps the focus will be on the heir (but he's too young to be very interesting), a North African adventure would be ideal. Close enough for him to be protected, but far enough away from Europe. Or maybe a war in spain. Without other fronts like Russia, the war will be faster, especially with Napoleon's leadership.
Revisiting Egypt seems like itd be the most appealing option napoleon, and for talleyrand who'd be massively pissed if napoleon messed up the European order he set up.

Revisiting Egypt seems like itd be the most appealing option napoleon, and for talleyrand who'd be massively pissed if napoleon messed up the European order he set up.
I mean this TL is already close to unrealistic with the amount of times Nap has already listened/deferred to Tally, TBF lol

The first Filipino revolts were in the 1840s OTL, no?
Actually we've rebelled multiple times since we got colonized in the 1500s. The 1870s-80s were when the illustrado (basically bright young Filipinos who spearheaded a reform movement) went to Spain to negotiate for more civil rights. They were NOT aiming for independence, just for us to become a province of Spain and thus be on far more equitable terms. That didn't work and they executed Jose Rizal for it in 1896. Then in 1896-1900, that's when we really started to push for independence... because we launched the revolution after the reform movement didn't take off. Then the US got us after Cuba...

I highly recommend watching this movie on Rizal if you want a feel of what we were facing towards the revolution.

I'll be honest though... even though the illustrado were very much our brightest and the best, they were not afraid to criticize anyone, especially the church. If our very "divine right" pal Don Carlos Infante ever saw these uh... prayers they circulated, none of them is going to leave Spain alive.

Last edited:
speaking of colonies in asia we have
The uk with india, australia, new zealand and east indies
spain with the philippines
portugal with macau

The Dutch no longer have access to any interesting resource outside the cape. The nation will probably be impoverished. they also dont have access to Japan.
A return of the japanese to make an agreement with portuguese (in brazil) maybe? They will be neighbors of Reino Unido who don't like them ( cape- angola mozambique)

uk will focus on india and east indies probably.

spain kept the philippines for now. If there is a revolution they will have to make a pretty good deal or lose the colony which can become independent or be taken over by uk or portugal (Reino Unido) .

Asia has very few competitors. If Reino Unido catches brunai they solve the coal problem in the nation

Africa the same thing with only portugal and the netherlands having strong colonies

Reino Unido is a good name for the union of portugal with brazil (is literally united kingdom). And portugal frances has the name of the kingdom of portugal.

Last edited:
The British haven’t really had them for too long, but they’re still pretty profitable!
All monopolies are in the hands of the Portuguese or English. Perhaps some agreement between Reino Unido and France for better access to resources?
well there are the philippines but i don't know if spain has the strength to use it to compete with UK and Reino Unido

One thing I could very much see is that France and Austria actually link up again due to Nappy Two and Napoleons Austrian wife, plus competing interests against Russia. Of course, they also would like there Italian Provinces back.

One thing I could very much see is that France and Austria actually link up again due to Nappy Two and Napoleons Austrian wife, plus competing interests against Russia. Of course, they also would like there Italian Provinces back.

Napoleon isn’t married to an Austrian ittl he married Alexander of Russias sister. Their heir is a completely different Nappy II

Napoleon isn’t married to an Austrian ittl he married Alexander of Russias sister. Their heir is a completely different Nappy II
Ah... there I go, keep my mouth shut until youve read all the way through. Russia and Napoleon, that is a powerful alliance to say the least, and the end of the Habsburgs, in good time.

Ah... there I go, keep my mouth shut until youve read all the way through. Russia and Napoleon, that is a powerful alliance to say the least, and the end of the Habsburgs, in good time.
yes and no, because the future problem will be the division of europe between french and russian.
the alliance is also not an eternal thing with russia having several old agreements with uk. Poland is an ally of France and on the side of Russia.
There are several ways for the alliance to die. A marriage and lineage are not enough to maintain an alliance. It has to be beneficial and when russia decides to expand more in europe the alliance will probably break

yes and no, because the future problem will be the division of europe between french and russian.
the alliance is also not an eternal thing with russia having several old agreements with uk. Poland is an ally of France and on the side of Russia.
There are several ways for the alliance to die. A marriage and lineage are not enough to maintain an alliance. It has to be beneficial and when russia decides to expand more in europe the alliance will probably break
Or France could throw Poland under the Bus, Grab Germany, and give Russia a free hand in eastern Europe. It be a good handshake deal for both sides which gives everyone what they want. Except the poles of course.

In particular as Napoleonic France is very different in nature to Tsarist Russia at this time. For all that Napoleon was a powerful and authoritarian monarch, the Empire was born out of the ideas of the French Revolution, whereas Tsarist Russia still has literal serfs, so...