AHC/WI: Ex-Confederates Deported Emasse

Okay, so let's assume enlisted/conscripted men are off the hook and you just mean confederate officers (Captain or higher) and confederate politicians.

I assume Mexico, Brazil, and Europe are the big three.

What about British India?

Much better to have them leave voluntarily. Maybe no AJ so Reconstruction is better, leading to a Confederate exodus away from the US. They would go to mainly Brazil, due to the fact that it still had slavery.

It makes you wonder why people would do that, abolitionism should have been about equality too.

19th century race science believed certain races to be superior and inferior. They were reading the same science and medical textbooks North and South and tended to believe them.

Calculon

Banned
This wouldn't resonate with anyone beyond the most radical of Republicans. Rebuilding the South would be far more costly with the loss of a million men and presumably their families. It would almost certainly also mean starting the war back up, at a time when everyone's already exhausted. No way this works.
Not even radical Republicans would have entertained this idea. Only in the modern day could someone think this scheme could possibly succeed, to satisfy a revenge fantasy.

Not even radical Republicans would have entertained this idea. Only in the modern day could someone think this scheme could possibly succeed, to satisfy a revenge fantasy.
Why do people say having the Reconstruction be more radical is some revenge fantasy? The real revenge fantasy happened after Reconstruction, and the ones responsible were not the people who supported it

Calculon

Banned
Why do people say having the Reconstruction be more radical is some revenge fantasy? The real revenge fantasy happened after Reconstruction, and the ones responsible were not the people who supported it
It's news to me that radical reconstruction included deporting all ex-Confederates en masse. But I don't know much about the time period, maybe the reconstructionists were all in favor of destroying lives like that.

It's news to me that radical reconstruction included deporting all ex-Confederates en masse.
Obviously no, not even the most radical supported this. But your ''revenge fantasy" commentary is a very weird thing to say
maybe the reconstructionists were all in favor of destroying lives like that.
The Reconstructionists never destroyed a single life, they did in fact improve a lot of them, and while Reconstruction was a short period, it's really great that it happened

19th century race science believed certain races to be superior and inferior. They were reading the same science and medical textbooks North and South and tended to believe them.

Wow. I still wonder if you're actually around someone, talk to them, how can anyone believe that? There's a quality of people that's just people.

The real question is, where would they go? Obviously in real life, ex-confederates established colonies in both Brazil and Northern Mexico. Given what happened in the Mexican American War, I doubt Mexico would accept white Confederates en masse. Maybe Canada, but I doubt they could agree. So where did you imagine them going?

Probably won't happen. But it does become more likely the smaller you make the pool. I could see something like Napoleon's exile to Saint Helena, but with infamous members of the Confederate high command. Any good islands lying about?

I don't suppose there's any good source breaking down the composition of the grey coats by rank?
It's not. There is however a handful of individuals on this site and others who like dressing up thinly veiled revenge fantasies/mass death scenarios as "a less half-baked reconstruction".

for example,
"Nothing renders society more restless than a social revolution but half accomplished" - Carl Schurz

There were plenty of cases where Reconstruction failed due to a lack of political will, boldness or vision. Giving the Southern states full rights so quickly, failing to aid the freedmen, giving out free land or withdrawing the army. These are obvious failures. Failing to deport thousands of Confederates is not one of them. It is an unrealistic option. The ideological concept isn't really there at the time. The great population transfers are awaiting the 20th century before they really get underway, and the Confederates were considered Americans. Also, logistically, the entire idea is just dead. The sheer cost of moving so many people would be outrageous, the effort gigantic.

It isn't happening, it just wasn't on the table unless the war was very, very different.