The Shuffled Disneyverse: An Alt Disney Timeline

While I included images in the first three write-ups, I could not find one that was suitable for this film that was in the Public Domain. That explains there being no picture here.

The moment I saw the title I was wondering how you would adapt it to the forties and you did it perfectly. I love it.
Thanks. It was initially pretty difficult to get the story right. I mean the video game and computer aspects of OTL’s Wreck-It-Ralph significantly date it to the 2010s. But if you take that away, you are left with someone who is seen as a villain who doesn’t want to be a villain and wants the chance to be a hero. That part is what I used as the base for this film. I was partly inspired by an AU WIR fanfiction that was also set in the 1940s but a greater portion of my inspiration came from the fact that WIR in our timeline was based on the Donkey Kong game which itself was based on Popeye The Sailor, King Kong, and Beauty and the Beast. So elements of all of those are in there plus even some traces of Dumbo thrown in.

Reading the title, I momentarily pondered how you will adapt a video game-based movie in the 1940s, a time before the type of computer we know and love was even invented.

I really hope Ralph Breaks the Internet is released post-1999.

Last edited:
Reading the title, I momentarily pondered how you will adapt a video game-based movie in the 1940s, a time before the type of computer we know and love was even invented.

I really hope Ralph Breaks the Internet is released post-1999.
The Wreck-It-Ralph sequel might not even be titled Ralph Breaks The Internet since it isn’t a technology movie ITTL but rather about the theme about a misunderstood person being seen as the bad guy and wants to be a hero.

The Wreck-It-Ralph sequel might not even be titled Ralph Breaks The Internet since it isn’t a technology movie ITTL but rather about the theme about a misunderstood person being seen as the bad guy and wants to be a hero.
So if I’m understanding this right, this version of WIR 2 will continue to the explore the same themes that were established in the original?

Home On The Range (1942)
Home On The Range (1942):​

Unlike its predecessors, the fifth movie in the Disney canon was not based on a fairy tale or another story, but rather on a ballad. Home On The Range was initially intended as the second feature-length film produced by Walt Disney when it received the rights to the song's usage in April 1937. This changed when the animators learned that creating a story out of a short song was more difficult than it seemed. In April 1938, Perce Pearce and Carl Fallberg started working on storyboarding process, but production only really began in August 1939. There were originally multiple interpretations of the story planned before they were all streamlined into a single plot, with the focus narrowed to three characters. The writing was completed in July 1940, with the film's budget having increased to $748,000 by then. Unlike Snow White, the animals were to be animated in a style that wasn’t, "like big flour sacks" per Eric Larson. The style was to be much more expressive and realistic, so much so that Disney set up a small petting zoo so the animators could study animal movements. The Great Plains generally inspired the animated backgrounds for the film.

The feature begins with the namesake song Home On The Range playing, showing the openness of the Great Plains during the mid-late 1800s. Unlike the other Disney films produced up to this point, this one had two separate plotlines that converge into one later on in the movie. The first plot is about a timid young boy named Billy who dreams of becoming a cowboy. His personality has him ostracized among the older child cowboys so he runs away. Meanwhile, a young bull named Bullets and his best friends (an unnamed antelope and bison) learn about the circle of life, with Bullets aspiring to know more about the horses that led his herd. The two plotlines intersect when the young boy and bull meet and discover they each want to explore more of the Old West together. Unfortunately, a cattle hustler named Alameda Slim kidnaps Bullets and plans on killing him so he can be sold to the meat market in long-distant Chicago. Teaming up with Native American allies, Billy must put his bravery to the test so that he can not only prove himself as a worthy cowboy but save his newfound friend before time runs out.

In order to save on production costs due to World War II, Disney cut 12 minutes from the film before the final animation began, although they can be found as deleted scenes on DVD and Blu-ray releases. Home on The Range premiered in New York on August 7, 1942, and debuted nationwide just two weeks later. It didn’t flop per se at the box office, earning $1.27 million in film rentals, but its underwhelming numbers due to the war hurt the studio. It was well-received by critics at the time who praised the film for its action scenes as well as its fast-paced story. It would go on to be profitable post-war but this would be the first Disney animated film released not to be heralded as a classic. Contemporary critics view it as being more characteristic of the cheaper and forgettable Wartime Period than of the highly artistic, acclaimed Golden Age despite being made in the Golden Age. The depiction of the Native Americans is nowadays sighted as very racist despite being viewed as progressive for its time. The decline of Western-themed TV shows and films in general after the 1960s adversely affected Home On The Range too. That being said, it is still somewhat remembered fondly and modestly profitable, which cannot be said about the next film.

A/N: Despite me saying this was based on the original poem/ballad, it actually has elements of OTL Bambi, the first two versions of OTL Home On The Range before the final version was produced and released, as well as the song itself. Once again, I couldn't find a suitable picture to put here.

Last edited:
It's interesting that if you listen to the original director of the film, it was meant to take on a more classical thirties/forties esque style whereas the version made in the forties seems to be pushing a little ahead of what the genre was at the time.

This is really interesting, definitely curious to see how the war impacts Disney this time around.

With such a deep-cut occurring here, I'm now wondering if Song of the South is in the list, and, if it is made in more recent decades, if it will be modified to alter the controversy around it as in OTL.

It's interesting that if you listen to the original director of the film, it was meant to take on a more classical thirties/forties esque style whereas the version made in the forties seems to be pushing a little ahead of what the genre was at the time.

This is really interesting, definitely curious to see how the war impacts Disney this time around.
It pushing ahead of the western genre at the time delays the peak of its popularity until the 1950s and 1960s since Westerns are in full swing then, much like IOTL. And the war will definitely impact Disney albeit probably not in the same ways as OTL.

With such a deep-cut occurring here, I'm now wondering if Song of the South is in the list, and, if it is made in more recent decades, if it will be modified to alter the controversy around it as in OTL.
Since Song is The South is not part of the Disney canon, I still have it being made in 1946 like OTL and much of the same controversy emerges. The only difference is that in this TL, I have it released on home video as a follow up to the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Sing Along Songs release in 1986 (same as OTL), in DVD in 2000 or 2001 as part of the Gold Classic Collection, and is one of the last Disney films in any medium to be released on Blu-Ray and is a Disney Movie Club Exclusive (much like OTL Black Cauldron and 4/6 package films only getting released in 2021 because of this). Only a limited number of copies are produced on all home video formats so it’s hard to find in stores or even online retailers like Amazon and EBay (or their analogues) and they’re all essentially out of print now anyway. So while it’s not completely erased from history here, it’s the black sheep of Disney and cinema in general with most people pretending it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Oh and there may also be long-term impacts by the time Pixar comes into play in 1995 (which was also shuffled, albeit separately from the WDAC so no WDAC films become Pixar movies or Vice versa, and will include all films through Elemental).

1. Do any other songs appear in Home on the Range besides the title song?
  2. Is Wreck-It Ralph Disney’s first non-musical?
  3. What is Gerda’s snowman sidekick’s personality like, considering it’s very different to Olaf’s.

1. Do any other songs appear in Home on the Range besides the title song?
  2. Is Wreck-It Ralph Disney’s first non-musical?
  3. What is Gerda’s snowman sidekick’s personality like, considering it’s very different to Olaf’s.
I'll do my best to answer these questions
1. Yes but they aren't nearly as significant.
2. I would say it is but it has music in the same way Dumbo did.
3. The snowman is like a foil to Olaf, right down to the deeper voice. Essentially he starts as a combination of Hans and Elsa from OTL's Frozen, but he becomes a defrosting ice king and is far more of a fighter here.

PS you can add Pixar to your test thread if you like.

Wreck-It-Ralph (1941):
I like the idea of Ralph being Disney's equivalent to Popeye, and of course he would less likely to engage in violence showing the difference of philosophy between the two studios.

Speaking of the Fleischer Brothers, did they release Gulliver's Travels and Mr. Bug goes To Town here?

Last edited:
I like the idea of Ralph being Disney's equivalent to Popeye, and of course he would less likely to engage in violence showing the difference of philosophy between the two studios.

Speaking of the Fleischer Brothers, did they release Gulliver's Travels and Mr. Bug goes To Town here?
Gulliver’s Travels is definitely still released on the same date as OTL because Snow White is still the first WDAC film to be released and I have no reason to think Fleischer wouldn’t want to duplicate that success. As far as Mr. Bug Goes to Town goes that itself was made IOTL to follow up the success of Gulliver’s Travels so the answer to its release ITTL is probably yes.

Also, I made a revision to the entry for Frozen. The short The Sorcerer’s Apprentice is now a standalone short that premieres with Frozen instead of being part of Fantasia.