Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Rome was perfectly happy for their elected officials to have bodyguards.
The Romans did allow bodyguards, but they put numerous limits on them--for example, restricting the number that particular magistrates were allowed to have to a rather small number and forbidding them from carrying weapons in certain areas. Plus, they had legends like those of the Second Decemvirate to warn of the dangers of bodyguards. Rather closer to the Greeks than to other cultures.

On a side note - I can only imagine the reaction to the news of the assassination attempt in Richmond. They're best bet - and it seems they mostly were aware of it - was holding out until election day and hoping Lincoln lost; and anyone but a complete fool would have to know that this attempt (and Lincoln's manly 'manhandling' of Booth, not to mention Northern rage at the dead generals) all but throws this out of the window. It must also make them realize that not only will whatever was left of the North's kid-gloves, they're fully gone now. Furthermore, there is now the precedent of political assassination in this war - and there's very little stopping an angry Southron Unionist or some disgruntled veteran from trying the same to them.

Which is all a nice way of saying: I'm sure that the Confederate White House is NOT a pleasant place right now, and I'm doubting that Booth is getting the martyr's appreciation he dreamed of.
Breckinridge's liver is probably going to have a bad day once he learns of what happens. All you explained would be, incidentally, the best ITTL proof that Booth acted without direct orders from Richmond, because aside from "honor", the Confederate leadership must have necessarily realized that attacking Lincoln was a bad idea.

Now, in spite of Southern claims that they lamented Lincoln's dead, in truth many celebrated it. So regardless of the official reaction there are bound to be comments, newspapers and declarations saying how they wished Lincoln had died and that Booth was a hero. And once those comments are heard in the North...

Worse, even had Booth succeeded, hello new martyr for the cause.

Leading to well.....

So really, all in all, a bad idea on many levels, especially as after this, security in the Union is gonna find itself cranked up a few notches.
ITTL, if Lincoln had died, I fully see the Republican Congress pulling out something to place a more radical man as President Pro Tempore and thus future President of the United States.

Yes - although Lincoln will be opposed to it, I wonder if we don't see the formation of a Presidential Guard created as an elite army unit following this. We know AL will hate the optics of it, but there will be a lot of pressure from the military brass, as well as his own cabinet, and congress, to take this step - and having just had one man literally sacrifice his life to save him, and having had to beat two assassins half to death with his bare hands, I can't imagine that Lincoln is going to put up TOO much of a protest either.

Which will be interesting, because this could cut down on the spat of Guilded Age Presidential assassinations we had in OTL (or at least make pulling one off so much more difficult. A professional guard certainly would have saved Garfield in OTL, and potentially McKinley as well)
Lincoln would probably be completely opposed to an ornate, official Presidential Guard. But he'd be bound to accept additional protection. I planed to link that up with the already discussed possibility of an American Gendarmerie. It's just that, oficially, the guard is to care for any public official in danger. Since Lincoln's the one in danger they would care for him almost exclusively. And then this temporary expedient, as it often happens, would become permanent.

Speaking of new security forces being established, I wonder whether there'll be a gendarmerie established to help with law enforcement in the South beyond the remit of the Army occupation. Helps avoid the "no standing army" rule and so forth, while also allowing the military to focus on military matters rather than securing black and Unionist farmers from guerilla attacks. I more or less got the idea from this seal from DeviantArt, but it seems like the sort of thing that could happen in a Radical Reconstruction scenario.

United States Gendarmerie
Oh, I like that logo. But yes, the possibility has been discussed and I have more or less adopted it, even though I haven't written it into the TL yet. My idea was for Union Leagues and Guerrillas to be transformed into a Civil Guard, basically a National Guard but fully under Federal control, and the Bureaus to become a Gendarmerie, taking up police duties.

Also, paging @Tjakari because I know he's one of the fans of the TL and I really enjoy his comments, but he often misses updates lol.

Thank you for the update @Red_Galiray! I really thought Lincoln would become the Union's figurehead, but it seems Providence isn't done with him yet. It seems clear that the attempt on his life will only increase the zeal for Radicalism in Lincoln. As we have seen, radicalism does not mean peace and good feelings and happiness... While the Confederacy deserves the Terrible Swift Sword, won't this event push the Union into extremes? Could be a fascinating cause for further departure from OTL... Thank you for the update!

Damn, that was a gripping fight scene! Lincoln's earned himself that badass cred!
I don't think there's enough material to write a full update regarding the navy situation. Maybe a mini-update? I haven't done one of those in a good while.
I agree, if it's not enough for a full update that a mini-update seems perfect for the naval war. I love me some battleboats!

Please like the chapter and offer your opinions! I'd love to read them. As for the chapter, I'll admit a lot of it runs on the Rule of Cool, but I think it is one of my finest chapters if I say so myself.

One thing I continue to like about this TL, especially when compared to other optimistic TLs, is how much it operates on "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else" logic. Makes the more optimistic elements of this TL feel a lot more real.

While the Confederacy deserves the Terrible Swift Sword, won't this event push the Union into extremes? Could be a fascinating cause for further departure from OTL... Thank you for the update!
There can be no mercy for traitors and reprobates. The glorious Grand Army of the Republic will descend upon the Southrons as the instrument of the Lord's righteous judgement.

More seriously, at this point, I'm not sure many in the Union will be too concerned about the costs of holding to an extreme position.

Honestly at this point, the Union may act with such a religious *zeal* to free the slaves that actions to bring slavery to an end in Brazil might actually be a policy of the post war government. Whether that is likely to speed up or conversely slow down the process in Brazil is an open one. (Slavery in Brazil had characteristics that simply weren't found in the USA, including the Brazilian government having no problem with Mulattos owning slaves)

I wonder if Lincoln's going to get a bunch of logs in his mail now, with letters attached asking him to do the same with the rest of the rebels.

Actually, I could totally see this - it seems pretty inline with mid-19th century American forms of political discourse. At least the White House shouldn't have to spend as much on their heating bll for the coming winter :)

Someone else already made a 'Lincoln log' joke - but I actually wonder if some enterprising merchant doesn't start selling rough-hewn staffs or bats and call them Lincoln Logs (or if it becomes a slangterm for a staff or shillelagh).

Last edited:
Oh, I like that logo. But yes, the possibility has been discussed and I have more or less adopted it, even though I haven't written it into the TL yet. My idea was for Union Leagues and Guerrillas to be transformed into a Civil Guard, basically a National Guard but fully under Federal control, and the Bureaus to become a Gendarmerie, taking up police duties.
I don't think it would be called a Gendarmerie, though; this is well past the time when the U.S. was French-obsessed, and it just doesn't fit as a name, to me. Something like "National Militia" (akin to Soviet practice), "National Guard," "Civil Patrol," "Republican Guard," or the like feels more like something they would choose. Perhaps "Interior Guard," by analogy with the Coast Guard? (Even though the Coast Guard didn't actually exist yet by this point)

I don't think it would be called a Gendarmerie, though; this is well past the time when the U.S. was French-obsessed, and it just doesn't fit as a name, to me. Something like "National Militia" (akin to Soviet practice), "National Guard," "Civil Patrol," "Republican Guard," or the like feels more like something they would choose. Perhaps "Interior Guard," by analogy with the Coast Guard? (Even though the Coast Guard didn't actually exist yet by this point)
Similar organizations the US made in occupied territories (Philippines, Hati, etc) the US named Constabularies

As to Abraham Lincoln and guards during the otl war He had company K 150th Pennsylvania as a guard in fact it's commander often had breakfast with him.

I hope for a Nuremberg trials with Sherman overseeing the guilty
Tbh, If Sherman is overseeing the trial, the results will not at all be what you hope for. The man belived in ruthless war, yes, but he also belived in magnamity and amnesty after victory. Even on record as saying he’d be proud to serve with Nathan Bedford Forrest if the US ever got around to punking Cuba from Spain.

Thank you for the update @Red_Galiray! I really thought Lincoln would become the Union's figurehead, but it seems Providence isn't done with him yet. It seems clear that the attempt on his life will only increase the zeal for Radicalism in Lincoln. As we have seen, radicalism does not mean peace and good feelings and happiness... While the Confederacy deserves the Terrible Swift Sword, won't this event push the Union into extremes? Could be a fascinating cause for further departure from OTL... Thank you for the update!
Your comment regarding Providence reflects how Lincoln would interpret and rationalize events. He came to believe in predeterminism as a way to deal with the guilt and stress of the war, that God himself had willed the war as an expiation of the national sins and a necessary fiery trial for the United States. Within this great plan, he was merely "an instrument in God's hands". But unlike, say, McClellan, this was not a self-aggradizing "I'm God's chosen one" stance. Rather, Lincoln came to believe that he was an incidental instrument, and that he had to fulfill his part of God's plan. You can see how such a doctrine would probably convince him that if he survived this attempt is because Providence indeed requires further help from him. And what could that help be? Certainly, completing the destruction of slavery and the Old South. Yet, I believe that no matter what, Lincoln would never become a sanguinary tyrant. The ultimate objective will remain with malice towards none, with charity for all. It's just that the idea of what charity means has expanded - Black people deserve that charity in the form of the vote, land, citizenship, protection and hope. And to enact well-deserved justice is not malice, but it's needed for the Union to prosper.

Damn, that was a gripping fight scene! Lincoln's earned himself that badass cred!

I agree, if it's not enough for a full update that a mini-update seems perfect for the naval war. I love me some battleboats!
Thanks! I was afraid that the scene would not flow well or fall flat. I'm glad you liked it.

Yeah, I may write it soon then.

Glad Texas got some action and Rosecrans episode was hilarious but wish they were more successful in bring the war to Texas.
I'll admit that I intended Rosecrans' plot to be something of a comedic breather. But it did manage to get farther into Texas than Banks did OTL, at least.

One thing I continue to like about this TL, especially when compared to other optimistic TLs, is how much it operates on "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else" logic. Makes the more optimistic elements of this TL feel a lot more real.
That's basically the second theme of the TL. The first, I guess, would be the irony that the South, in trying to prevent a radical revolution, brought it about sooner and more radical. Together, it means that often Southern actions end up pushing the Union in the right direction, and even with shaky stumbling steps it ends up arriving to the right conclusions, and realizing that they have to do some things not only because they are useful but because they are right. I believe it's better and more realistic that way.

There can be no mercy for traitors and reprobates. The glorious Grand Army of the Republic will descend upon the Southrons as the instrument of the Lord's righteous judgement.

More seriously, at this point, I'm not sure many in the Union will be too concerned about the costs of holding to an extreme position.
The overton window is way to the left here. Even the most conservative Republican is by now bound to accept the destruction of slavery and the punishment of the rebel leaders.

Honestly at this point, the Union may act with such a religious *zeal* to free the slaves that actions to bring slavery to an end in Brazil might actually be a policy of the post war government. Whether that is likely to speed up or conversely slow down the process in Brazil is an open one. (Slavery in Brazil had characteristics that simply weren't found in the USA, including the Brazilian government having no problem with Mulattos owning slaves)
It's been discussed, but this all may lead to a different flavor of American exceptionalism that sees the US as an instrument for spreading freedom. Ending slavery in Cuba and Brazil may be part of that.

I wonder if Lincoln's going to get a bunch of logs in his mail now, with letters attached asking him to do the same with the rest of the rebels.
Actually, I could totally see this - it seems pretty inline with mid-19th century American forms of political discourse. At least the White House shouldn't have to spend as much on their heating bll for the coming winter :)

Someone else already made a 'Lincoln log' joke - but I actually wonder if some enterprising merchant doesn't start selling rough-hewn staffs or bats and call them Lincoln Logs (or if it becomes a slangterm for a staff or shillelagh).
Oh yeah, that's definitely something that could happen. The man that canned Charles Summer received a lot of cans. So Lincoln may expect logs with a "Do it again Uncle Abe!"

Similar organizations the US made in occupied territories (Philippines, Hati, etc) the US named Constabularies
I agree that Gendarmerie is too French. I was leaning towards National Guard myself. Constabulary on the other hand sounds too English to me.

As to Abraham Lincoln and guards during the otl war He had company K 150th Pennsylvania as a guard in fact it's commander often had breakfast with him.
Yeah but it wasn't a constant bodyguard, an idea that Lincoln disliked.

Tbh, If Sherman is overseeing the trial, the results will not at all be what you hope for. The man belived in ruthless war, yes, but he also belived in magnamity and amnesty after victory. Even on record as saying he’d be proud to serve with Nathan Bedford Forrest if the US ever got around to punking Cuba from Spain.
Yeah... Sherman was opposed to Reconstruction, people. This strained his friendship with Grant.

If not Sherman, which Union general or politician is radical enough to start issuing hangings and firing squads for the traitors?
That's already happening. Guerrillas are hanged without trial if caught in the middle of raids or attacks, while soldiers who have committed war crimes are routinely trialed and executed if found guilty. The update mentions, for example, 82 men of Forrest's command, guilty for the Fort Pillow massacre, being hanged.

I’d say Thaddeus Stevens.
A representative working as a judge would be highly irregular. I believe he'd do more good in the Congress, where he could help frame amendments to better destroy the Old South.

Very cool to read about how Lincoln's perspective was shaped by the events of the war.
I agree that Gendarmerie is too French. I was leaning towards National Guard myself. Constabulary on the other hand sounds too English to me.
Maybe the alternate "gendarmery" spelling is less foreign-sounding? Otherwise, if this will be called the National Guard, the federalized version of the OTL National Guard that you mentioned could instead be named the Federal Reserve for even more name-swapping. It's just a different type of reserves, after all.

A representative working as a judge would be highly irregular. I believe he'd do more good in the Congress, where he could help frame amendments to better destroy the Old South.
Hamlin may be radical enough if they choose someone else as VP. Ben Butler was certainly a beast OTL. :) I don't think even the most radical is ready for Frederick Douglass being in charge of the trials, but it might be nice to see him appointed somewhere.

Last edited: