Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Mig-9 Monkey(version 0.9) ( no story here)
Mig-9 Monkey (Low poly).jpg

Coloring for the First time SUCK... you don’t know the Technique nor the hack to make Coloring faster.

Last edited:
Mig 9 'monkey'? By NATO codename philosophy, a name starting with 'M' denotes either a trainer or a special purpose aircraft. May be add a second cockpit or some special antennas.

Mig 9 'monkey'? By NATO codename philosophy, a name starting with 'M' denotes either a trainer or a special purpose aircraft. May be add a second cockpit or some special antennas.
Ah sorry, on that I was just having fun with modifing the Mig-9.

I don’t know anything about NATO Soviet weapon code name.

Ah sorry, on that I was just having fun with modifing the Mig-9.

I don’t know anything about NATO Soviet weapon code name.
The very short version for aircraft: 1 syllable piston or turboprop engine, 2 syllables jet. First letter of the word indicates type: F fighter, B bomber, M trainer/special purpose and so forth. The words chosen are very often deliberately weird and rare to make it clear that an aircraft (and which specific type) is meant.

Examples: "Bear" Tu-95, turboprop bomber; "Fulcrum" Mig-29, jet fighter.

KcjiaWT.png

Reimagining the FFVS J22 as a late 1930s American design (since it used the same type of engine as the P-36 and P-35 and made mostly of steel tubing and wood panels). RAF, RAAF, and license-produced Swedish versions included for fun.

I wonder how good it would've been if the 335 was modified to use jet engines.
It might have worked out pretty well, there wouldn't have been the over heating problems with the rear engine as in OTL and if the jet engine conked out for any reason the prop might have been enough to get it back on the ground safely.

There was at least one proposed conversion of the 335 to jet engines but I could not find any real hybrid-power concepts.
I think on one hand its a somewhat easy conversion to do as the plane already has the space for the second engine and you would also solve several problems like the low ground clearance of the rear prob while only needing a single jet engine. The main drawback I see is that the Pfeil is already a very high performance aircraft in the first place so you get less additional "oomph" from doing all the retooling necessary for a hybrid 335 than from either a newly deloped jet or a different hybrid aircraft.

Driftless

Donor
There was at least one proposed conversion of the 335 to jet engines but I could not find any real hybrid-power concepts.
I think on one hand its a somewhat easy conversion to do as the plane already has the space for the second engine and you would also solve several problems like the low ground clearance of the rear prob while only needing a single jet engine. The main drawback I see is that the Pfeil is already a very high performance aircraft in the first place so you get less additional "oomph" from doing all the retooling necessary for a hybrid 335 than from either a newly deloped jet or a different hybrid aircraft.
The main virtue of the hybrid powerplants might be the "bring 'em back alive" reserve of the prop drive, in case of the temperamental nature of the early jets. Even if the jet flames out, there's a chance a skilled pilot could bring the plane down in one piece and the engineers have more to work with, sorting out what went wrong?

The main virtue of the hybrid powerplants might be the "bring 'em back alive" reserve of the prop drive, in case of the temperamental nature of the early jets. Even if the jet flames out, there's a chance a skilled pilot could bring the plane down in one piece and the engineers have more to work with, sorting out what went wrong?
That and take off under your own power with less expensive Jet engine.

Last edited:
The tailfinn design and camo is super awesome! What was your inspiration for the machine? Looks a bit Messerschmidt meets Dewoitine to me.
In some respects, looking at real interwar designs built in Austria, namely the utility planes drawing-boarded by Meindl, along with other projects drawing-boarded in eastern Europe. The engine's partly inspired by prewar French designs in terms of the chin and radiator but started life as an intention to represent some form of scaled-up offering from Walter, on the assumption they'd be an Austro-Hungarian provider in this timeline. The rudder angle is very much common to the Meindl designs, though I dropped their tendency to use stepped cruciform tails and just went with a standard tailplane. The cockpit takes some inspiration from Italian designers, while the camo is a pretty direct derivative of certain uncommon German forest camo patterns.

I've drawing-boarded a few aircraft from this particular headspace, aka the Giant Canada-verse. Maybe I'll share some later.

In some respects, looking at real interwar designs built in Austria, namely the utility planes drawing-boarded by Meindl, along with other projects drawing-boarded in eastern Europe. The engine's partly inspired by prewar French designs in terms of the chin and radiator but started life as an intention to represent some form of scaled-up offering from Walter, on the assumption they'd be an Austro-Hungarian provider in this timeline. The rudder angle is very much common to the Meindl designs, though I dropped their tendency to use stepped cruciform tails and just went with a standard tailplane. The cockpit takes some inspiration from Italian designers, while the camo is a pretty direct derivative of certain uncommon German forest camo patterns.

I've drawing-boarded a few aircraft from this particular headspace, aka the Giant Canada-verse. Maybe I'll share some later.
This is increadibly cool, you realy put a lot of thought into the design! Do you have a good source on austrain aircraft designs of this era? Its one of the countries where I really dont know anything, but could use some designs for a project im (somewhat) working on.

This is increadibly cool, you realy put a lot of thought into the design! Do you have a good source on austrain aircraft designs of this era? Its one of the countries where I really dont know anything, but could use some designs for a project im (somewhat) working on.
Not a great one, in part because there's seemingly not much to know.