WI: Umayyad Conquest of Constantinople?

i can respond to this Arab control at first for Georgia was not vassal state and lasted a century armenia went off and on again from the period of the 15th century owndwar I really cant say since I don't know about Caucasus history and the ottoman /Safavid period to make a claim
Eh, the Arab control in Armenia and Georgia were patchy, especially Georgia as a border region but they did control Tiblisi for half of the time that the main Arab Caliphates existed and Armenia for longer.

Also, often the governours here were also more independent autonomous. I'll need to read more on here as well.

Okay, fine. If comparison to Copts and Assyrians is flawed what of the Habasha in Eritrea, Armenians and Georgians.

None of these faced significant conversion. There will be more conversions in Anatolia due to its position and the Arabs that will migrate there but I see them being more like Malabari Muslims, largely descendants of Arab and Persian migrants and local women.

And the Anatolians that I see converting would be groups like the Isurians or Albanians, Hellenized peoples that hadn't adopted a Greek identity, just part of the Greek cultural sphere.
Once again, the examples cited do not necessarily validate your argument. Islamic rule in the Caucasus lacked consolidation, in comparison to in the Levant for example. It is therefore not entirely surprising that the region saw little conversion during Arab rule, considering that the Levant itself (quite literally an apex of Caliphal authority in comparison to the peripheral caucus) remained predominately non-Muslim up to the Crusades. Indeed, notable communities of Muslim Armenians and Georgians do exist.

You are not totally incorrect in your perspective, it is true that within many communities (amongst the Greeks), conversion to Islam during the Ottoman Empire was often described as ''Turning Turk.'' Nonetheless, it must be emphasized that many of these communities retained their language and many aspects of their culture, in spite of numerous instances of Turkification. Greco-phonic Muslim communities may not have identified or been identified by their Orthodox peers as Greek, yet that does not negate the clear Greekness of their identity and culture. This discussion is further complicated by the fact that we tend to perceive such matters through the nationalistic lens that independent Greece has historically presented, perpetuating a clear dichotomy between non-Orthodoy and claim to Greekness.

If we are to look at Anatolia specifically, the Greek-American historian Speros Vryonis refers to the Islamisation of the region as a ‘Greek-speaking populace became Muslim (and eventually Turkish-speaking)’; in his seminal piece The Decline of Hellenism and the Process of Islamization in Mediaeval Anatolia from the Eleventh to the Fifteenth Century.

If the Arabs didn't set up shop in Carthage or Ctesiphon, I don't expect them to break tradition suddenly and make Constantinople a provincial capital or move the capital of their empire there. Will it be an important city? There's no doubt in my mind but the Arabs seemed to have a tendency where they kept themselves apart from the locals. Which is why I mentioned that the Caliphate would build a new settlement not too far away from it, recommending either the site of Pera or Uskudar, the former of which during the OTL fall of Constantinople declared neutrality and submitted themselves to the Ottoman Sultan and the latter was already under Ottoman rule a century prior. Mind you both of these settlements are now part of Istanbul in the modern day and I expect these settlements to become annexed to the (eventually Islamized) Kustantiniyyah. The reason why I bring up the frontier is because I don't expect the Caliphate to easily push the Bulgars and Slavs back to the Danube. The Rubicon has already crossed and you have many Slavic tribes infiltrating the Byzantine Empire and upon its collapse, would declare their independence. That said, the situation is easily reversible.

download (1).jpeg

In regards to demographics, the former Roman Empire is a different animal than Persia which itself took a few centuries to Islamize. The Orthodox Church was a centralized institution and would serve as a nexus for Romanity though I can see this being eroded with time. The Caliphate, especially under the Umayyads was exclusive to Arabs and anyone who wanted to convert were forced to become mawali. There's no doubt that you would have upper class Romans who are willing to swallow their pride and become part of the new order but for most, it's a step too far for most and like the Abbasid Revolution was popular amongst the Iranians, you would have Romans willing to throw their lot with someone willing to undo this, Christian or Islamic. Luckily this is centuries before the Bulgars themselves Christianize so most Romans once Constantinople falls might submit to the Arabs though happy, they won't be. Outside of military encampments, Islam will remain a minority for at least the Umayyad period. In terms of Arabization, there is a slightly higher chance especially in the more marginal areas and in military encampments. The area of greatest Arabization and Islamization would probably be in the areas that the Slavic tribes have infiltrated and settled - the Peloponnese, Thessaly, parts of Macedonia and Paeonia. It's marginally populated and easily perfect area to settle tens of thousands of Arab soldiers and their family.

nfiltrating the Byzantine Empire and upon its collapse, would declare their independence. That said, the situation is easily reversible.
that map is actually giving the byzantines more land for example prior as warren treadgold says we dont have much evidence of adrinople being in the roman empire during byzanitine sources until

1655654696116.png

1655654844517.png

this is in 780 after Constantine V campaigned in the place and there was no significant bulgar expansion post 717 until Krum, the Slavic tribes won't be a problem for the caliphate except for Bulgaria which IMO Tervel depending the pod would rapidly expand into Thrace following this It depends in the dulo civil war of 757 occurs or not

that map is actually giving the byzantines more land for example prior as warren treadgold says we dont have much evidence of adrinople being in the roman empire during byzanitine sources until

View attachment 751626

View attachment 751630
this is in 780 after Constantine V campaigned in the place and there was no significant bulgar expansion post 717 until Krum, the Slavic tribes won't be a problem for the caliphate except for Bulgaria which IMO Tervel depending the pod would rapidly expand into Thrace following this It depends in the dulo civil war of 757 occurs or not
This is why a Roman evacuation to Italy is just not feasible as someone tried to mention earlier. The Arabs will invest into Constantinople and this will therefore establish the Balkans as the premier region of expansion, though I feel an ambition governer in Africa could conquer Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica and the Roman territories of southern Italy. In the north a successful Abd al-Rahmin can solidify control over Septimania and invade northern Italy, this intense pressure on Italy will cause it to fall to the Umayyads with Benevento and Rome becoming vassals, I can see an odd form of the donation of pepin occuring instead done by a Caliph as a token gesture.

Very nice map, i can't read the name for Rome btw which one did it was?
al-Madinat al-Babawiya (المدينة البابوية).

Also, I used this to come up with the names for the Anatolian and Thracian provinces.

Last edited:
This is why a Roman evacuation to Italy is just not feasible as someone tried to mention earlier. The Arabs will invest into Constantinople and this will therefore establish the Balkans as the premier region of expansion, though I feel an ambition governer in Africa could conquer Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica and the Roman territories of southern Italy. In the north a successful Abd al-Rahmin can solidify control over Septimania and invade northern Italy, this intense pressure on Italy will cause it to fall to the Umayyads with Benevento and Rome becoming vassals, I can see an odd form of the donation of pepin occuring instead done by a Caliph as a token gesture.
well the map is 780 this was more to show the balkans , byzantine Italy still had revena and a narrow strip of rome as mentioned it even if septemania becomes solidified it would require more troops from gaul charlegmane had some trouble with the conquest and if max numbers are to believed he brought 40 000 to deal with the lombards

Interesting, what happened to France ittl?
Francia disintegrated, the duchy of Aquitaine became a direct vassal of the wali of al-Andalus, Neustrasia, Austrasia and Belgica are all rump states from the former Kingdom of Francia and are all clients of the wali of al-Andalus, Brittany is a tributary of the wali of al-andalus so effectively independent but nonetheless a claimed territory of the Caliphate. The arrangements in Francia could occur due to a collapse in the Mayor of the Palace system or having the system be supplanted with figures that were allies of the Caliphate. The caliph being too busy campaigning in the Balkans could not administer the conquests of Italy and Francia, therefore these arrangements are made to strengthen the walis of either region and will allow them to declare independence during the Abbasid revolution.

Also the other small states in Swabia, Carinthia, the Alpes and Occitania are marcher states, they are fortified and are the buffer between the Caliphal core and the more peripheral regions, they are also disputed regions such as in Viscaya and Asturias.

Last edited:
Francia disintegrated, the duchy of Aquitaine became a direct vassal of the wali of al-Andalus, Neustrasia, Austrasia and Belgica are all rump states from the former Kingdom of Francia and are all clients of the wali of al-Andalus, Brittany is a tributary of the wali of al-andalus so effectively independent but nonetheless a claimed territory of the Caliphate. The arrangements in Francia could occur due to a collapse in the Mayor of the Palace system or having the system be supplanted with figures that were allies of the Caliphate. The caliph being too busy campaigning in the Balkans could not administer the conquests of Italy and Francia, therefore these arrangements are made to strengthen the walis of either region and will allow them to declare independence during the Abbasid revolution.

Also the other small states in Swabia, Carinthia, the Alpes and Occitania are marcher states, they are fortified and are the buffer between the Caliphal core and the more peripheral regions, they are also disputed regions such as in Viscaya and Asturias.
Thanks for all the details buddy, i think i would be a little of both, the anarchy post the collapse of the peppinids under Martell and if the Merovingians are smart, could pay lip service to the caliphate so they can recover some real power once the Peppinids family is on dire straits and avoid their OTL usurpation

Base map courtesy of Bob Hope.

Decided to make another map.

View attachment 751482

Interesting map, did Croats and Serbs settle in the Balkans that far back?

Also Sarhad in the East means "Frontier" or "Border". It was called that because it was the frontier of British India (NWFP) and Pakistan continued that name until they changed it in 2011 to Pakhtunkhwa. So it wouldn't be accurate as a name in the 7th century.

Interesting map, did Croats and Serbs settle in the Balkans that far back?
This states that Serbia as a nation did not exist until the late 8th century but the Serbs had been there for a century at this point, so the collpase of the Roman Empire could certainly see a principality formed for the Serbs ahead of schedule. It is much the same story for the Croats.
440px-Early_medieval_South_Slavic_tribes.png

(No year given but my guess is the 7th - 8th Century.)
Also Sarhad in the East means "Frontier" or "Border". It was called that because it was the frontier of British India (NWFP) and Pakistan continued that name until they changed it in 2011 to Pakhtunkhwa. So it wouldn't be accurate as a name in the 7th century.
I see, googling it could instead be called Pathan, Abasin or Ghazriya.

Once again, the examples cited do not necessarily validate your argument. Islamic rule in the Caucasus lacked consolidation, in comparison to in the Levant for example. It is therefore not entirely surprising that the region saw little conversion during Arab rule, considering that the Levant itself (quite literally an apex of Caliphal authority in comparison to the peripheral caucus) remained predominately non-Muslim up to the Crusades. Indeed, notable communities of Muslim Armenians and Georgians do exist.

You are not totally incorrect in your perspective, it is true that within many communities (amongst the Greeks), conversion to Islam during the Ottoman Empire was often described as ''Turning Turk.'' Nonetheless, it must be emphasized that many of these communities retained their language and many aspects of their culture, in spite of numerous instances of Turkification. Greco-phonic Muslim communities may not have identified or been identified by their Orthodox peers as Greek, yet that does not negate the clear Greekness of their identity and culture. This discussion is further complicated by the fact that we tend to perceive such matters through the nationalistic lens that independent Greece has historically presented, perpetuating a clear dichotomy between non-Orthodoy and claim to Greekness.

If we are to look at Anatolia specifically, the Greek-American historian Speros Vryonis refers to the Islamisation of the region as a ‘Greek-speaking populace became Muslim (and eventually Turkish-speaking)’; in his seminal piece The Decline of Hellenism and the Process of Islamization in Mediaeval Anatolia from the Eleventh to the Fifteenth Century.
Goddamn I forgot to respond to this.

Okay, so I have still shown that while the Christian Caucasus and Christian near Eastern Churches don't make 1:1 comparisons to Greece, they both are examples of the population largely not converting (the later even reflects in the genetic distinctiveness of Assyrians from "The Genetics of Modern Assyrians and their Relationship to Other People of the Middle East")

Umayyad Anatolian and Europe would have a level of control that ranges between the heavily consolidated Near East and the less consolidated Caucasus, either would still correspond to very little conversion.

Also, the Arabs did try to consolidate later on, even establishing Garrison towns and Arab emirs through and starting before the Abbasid period, we still saw basically no significant conversations.

As for many of those communities retaining their language, while language is a big part of what makes a certain ethnic identity, it isn't universally so. This is especially so given that many Ottoman Turks were dropping the identity of simply Turk and I think more calling themselves something like "Rumi", similar to but different from their word for the Greeks and leaving the proper Turk term to pastorial nomads in the Empire.

A Greek speaking Muslims and Rumi Turk would both speak Greek fluently. And thus speaking Turk wasn't a necessity to ethnically identify with Rumi Turks.

And the Turks and Arabs governed differently. Like with your Caucasus example, centuries of Arab rule still left a clear Armenian and etc majority population regions, while centuries of Safavid rule completely mixed up the population profiles.

So conversions and the like that took place under the Caliphates matter far more in making assumptions than stuff that happened under the Turks. And I guess the Akritas song kinda describes Arab conversions to Orthodoxy so the ethnic barrier to conversion is only so strong but that's mostly Nobel romance and shit.

The loss of Constantinople by the Christians and an earlier Muslim Anatolia still has massive butterflies. Russia very likely becomes Muslim instead of Christian in this scenario. But I think Western Europe remains Christian. If you want a timeline that produces a Muslim Europe, you are better off just having the Byzantines themselves voluntarily convert.
I think Italy would be pretty vulnerable to a Muslim invasion, since both Iberia and the Balkans would become Islamic too.

I think Italy would be pretty vulnerable to a Muslim invasion, since both Iberia and the Balkans would become Islamic too.
Yeah plus depending what happens in other fronts, Italy is a very tempting peninsula now they hold the east Mediterranean easily with Constantinople

tex mex

Banned
Is it possible for the Arabs to win the siege of Constantinople? could this be done by not only preventing the alliance between the Romans and Bulgars but by courting the Bulgars, promising them Greece in exchange for an alliance and conversion to Islam. Following this can the Umayyads also conquer Roman Italy via Sicily and also the Kingdom of Italy from Septimania? Also is it feasable that the Khazars, Avars, Serbs, Croats and Bavarians convert to Islam? From this position the Arabs could also succeed at Toulouse and Tours successfully annexing Aquitaine. What about the Abbasid revolution would this still occur? If so then could the Umayyads secure there seat in Andalus, Aquitaine and Italy effectively becoming a Muslim Western Roman Empire, I imagine they would call themselves the Caliphate of Rum if so. What are the concequences of the Mediterranean becoming an Islamic lake and the complete destruction of the Roman Empire along with the prevention of a Coronation of Charlemange-esque event and the Papacy being firmly within the Dar-Al-Islam? Would the Pope still be allowed to exist or would it be done away with by the Caliphs? Would the Pope instead go into exile in Coln or Canterbury? What of the Berber revolt? I am assuming it is delayed until atleast 750 but then this event may co-incide with the Abbasid revolt?

Map of proposed Dar-Al-Islam in 750 A.D

View attachment 749774
I love this map.
Please include greece. Southern Europe is more Middle Eastern than it is Northern European.

Portucale

Banned
Except they didn’t live in forest region, they lived on grassland bordering forest. Also Albania is Mediterranean country, while Muslim only make up a plurality in Bosnia ,historical were a minority and Bosnia was never pork country to the same degree as Russia is.

Also South East Asia is not Europe.

But yes I‘m sure that Russia could convert to a version of Islam which doesn’t follow any Islamic practices, I’m not sure other Muslims would be more positive to this state than if it didn’t convert to Islam.

I think it’s more likely that the Rus would stay pagan somewhat longer and then convert to Roman Orthodoxy (as Catholicism and Orthodoxy wouldn’t schism). It would likely make it far more integrated early on in the Baltic and I could see Silk Road shift north to follow the Volga to the Baltic.

The Rus would of course trade slaves and wheat to Constantinople through Greek middlemen and I could see city states arise along the northern Black Sea coast.
Kazan is fimly in the forest zone.
Bosnia was Muslim majority in the 17th century and possibly in the 18th century but lost its Muslim majority by 1800 because of constant wars and plagues.
Pork was the major source of protein in pre-Islamic Indonesia.
Also, a study in 2021 showed Muslims in Sicily ate pork, read https://jpost.com/archaeology/ham-fisted-haram-medieval-islamic-sicily-ate-pork-study-finds-672374/.