Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recalls cause confusion throughout the entire Ottoman Army. Liman von Sanders was central to its functioning and was responsible for the defense of the straits.

Indeed, and he wasn't much help. Turkish officers had anticipated the true landing positions while Sanders was expecting the Entente to land elsewhere. He also kept troops in reserve rather than defending the beaches, meaning that some of the Allied landings could have been to heavier casualities.

He was also unavailable for a time during the actual landings (because he was waiting for a landing elsewhere), if the recall of Germans had happened then some Turkish commander would have been put in charge and maybe having a commander actually paying attention to what was happening would mean a better Ottoman performance in the initial landings as well.

Indeed, and he wasn't much help. Turkish officers had anticipated the true landing positions while Sanders was expecting the Entente to land elsewhere. He also kept troops in reserve rather than defending the beaches, meaning that some of the Allied landings could have been to heavier casualities.

He was also unavailable for a time during the actual landings (because he was waiting for a landing elsewhere), if the recall of Germans had happened then some Turkish commander would have been put in charge and maybe having a commander actually paying attention to what was happening would mean a better Ottoman performance in the initial landings as well.
Sure that could have happened but I decided on a collapse instead to see what a alternative partition of the Ottomans with a active Russia and Germans, a fresh, determined, and expansionist Italy and Greece would look like.

1655318043163.png

The next 7 nations in the Big Nation series (bit of a hiatus, but now that its summer it should be updated more often)

1655321742293.png

One location for every letter of the alphabet, as selected by predictive typing on my phone. I might turn this into an ISOT.
Is my own home country determinable from this?

Victory in the West, Stalemate in the East
The Remaster

All the way back in November of last year I made my very first map on if Romania rejected the Second Vienna Award. Although I was proud of it at the time, in hindsight the map was awful. I used a site called sketchpad.pro that only let you draw on an image instead of edit pixels and based the color scheme off a random alternate history map I found. I made a few more maps with that site and became less and less happy with the quality. However, I was always looking for a way to edit individual pixels but I'm on Mac so applications like those are hard to come by. Eventually, I found something on GitHub of all things that let me edit individual pixels. In March I finished my first map using that on if World World Two ended in a stalemate. I was still getting used to the tool but I was happy enough with it that I posted it as my very first post on this site. It got 10 likes which I was super proud of at the time. I've made a few more maps after that which progressively got better in quality. Now, I decided to remake that WW2 stalemate map in order to show just how far I have improved. I know it is not as good as a lot of the stuff posted here, but to me it is still a huge improvement.

WWIIStalemateV2_Copped.png

Victory in the West, Stalemate in the East
The Remaster

All the way back in November of last year I made my very first map on if Romania rejected the Second Vienna Award. Although I was proud of it at the time, in hindsight the map was awful. I used a site called sketchpad.pro that only let you draw on an image instead of edit pixels and based the color scheme off a random alternate history map I found. I made a few more maps with that site and became less and less happy with the quality. However, I was always looking for a way to edit individual pixels but I'm on Mac so applications like those are hard to come by. Eventually, I found something on GitHub of all things that let me edit individual pixels. In March I finished my first map using that on if World World Two ended in a stalemate. I was still getting used to the tool but I was happy enough with it that I posted it as my very first post on this site. It got 10 likes which I was super proud of at the time. I've made a few more maps after that which progressively got better in quality. Now, I decided to remake that WW2 stalemate map in order to show just how far I have improved. I know it is not as good as a lot of the stuff posted here, but to me it is still a huge improvement.

View attachment 750595
Props on the improvement!
GIMP runs on Mac - it might be a good software to look at. Personally, I believe it has a bit of a steppe learning curve at first (I still use Paint.NET - Windows only - for most of my mapping), but it could be useful for your purposes. For reference, it has a lot of the same functionalities as Photoshop.

GIMP runs on Mac - it might be a good software to look at. Personally, I believe it has a bit of a steppe learning curve at first (I still use Paint.NET - Windows only - for most of my mapping), but it could be useful for your purposes. For reference, it has a lot of the same functionalities as Photoshop.
I use GIMP, and it's not that hard tbh, it's runs petty nicely on my pc, which keep in mind that my pc is almost a decade old

Last edited:
>steppe learning curve
ah, hate those. Don't see why you would have to raid Eastern Europe to learn gimp but oh well.

Also question for the gimp masters: how do you convert "normal" maps to the worldA, or the Q-BAM, or the 8K-BAM etc, using the unified transform tool? I Seen someone on discord do this to a worldA and everytime I try to do this it often doesn't align at all

>steppe learning curve
ah, hate those. Don't see why you would have to raid Eastern Europe to learn gimp but oh well.
Honestly, I don't really think GIMP has that steep of a learning curve. Using the simple tools is easy to learn, really the only things you need to know to start out with is the Pencil Tool and the Fill Tool. If you want to go fancier with it, there's definitely options for it, but you can ease yourself into it.

What crops are they growing, given that so far they apparently haven't reached any of the areas where the major OTL crops were developed?

Thats a good question.

They probably have some seeds stored at one of them right? Im sure there is some plant in that area that could be used for agriculture, the folks in the antarctic are smart, im sure they could find something that works.

ha ha yes make fun of the non native speaker very funny alexandria
No no, it’s more about the imagery. I can see the generals of Genghis Khan‘s horde hunched around an overhead projector as he (wearing half-rim glasses) explains PowerPoint to them. The camera zooms out to show the yurt they’re in sits in the middle of a huge army camp on the steppe.

”Look, it’s really easy to drag in media files to give your presentation on the essential necessity of our subjugation of foreign lands that extra bit of pizzazz!”

crazyturk.png

so uh yeah Anatolia with the Turkish Republic, the Ottoman Empire, the Byzantines, the Lydians and the Hittites existing at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.