WorldRaj tribute thread

Okay,
I replaced the combined map because I realized there were colours @Drex was showing that I had obliterated, if you are working from that, I'm sorry but please replace with the new one.

I took the data that @TheKutKu trawled for {thank you} and boiled it down to this.
There are a couple of decisions need to be made from it, any input would be good.

View attachment 747190
There's a variety of colours that could be added.

The Raj had many different types of government, like major provinces (administered by a governor/lieutenant-governor), minour provinces (administered by a chief commissioner and generally smaller than provinces), princely states (which I'm not quite sure what colour they'd be, would they be federal kingdoms, tribal subjects or something else?), plus other lesser types of organization like the Federated Shan States (which were further subdivided into the Northern, Southern and Wa Shan States, and also the Shan States outside of Burma like the Chinese and Siamese ones). There were also the agencies, which grouped several small princely states together.

Not only that, but there were several types of British colonies, like crown colonies with representative councils (legislative chambers and locally elected members), with nominated councils (legislative chambers entirely staffed by crown-appointed members) and ruled directly by a governor (with the least autonomy, i.e. Saint Helena and Gibraltar). There's also the crown dependencies, which are very autonomous, though there'd be very few of those.

Finally, there were self-governing colonies/dominions that had their own elected government, like Canada and Australasia, with crown-representative governor-generals. I imagine these would be a bit more common the further away from Great Britain they are.

A few of these could be consolidated into one colour, though some don't really fit any of the existing colours.

So since somebody had expressed interest, I tried my hand at removing the rivers from the map.

Here's what I have so far.

I make no pretense of it being clean or well made; it kind of got out of hand after a while, and after working on it for about an hour I need to take a break. On the plus side, with a few exceptions I think the only places that still need to be worked on are northern India, Burma, and Siberia (and I'll probably check China for a few remaining river pixels as well).

Base-map without rivers (BH)
So since somebody had expressed interest, I tried my hand at removing the rivers from the map.

Here's what I have so far.

I make no pretense of it being clean or well made; it kind of got out of hand after a while, and after working on it for about an hour I need to take a break. On the plus side, with a few exceptions I think the only places that still need to be worked on are northern India, Burma, and Siberia (and I'll probably check China for a few remaining river pixels as well).
I appreciate the work but Blacklister seems to have deleted his post, just as I was about to put this up;
aFuKOaA.png

Here's a contribution to this project. Hope I did this right, but feel free to yell at me if I got something wrong. I was thinking the Miskito Coast and nearby islands would be under Colombia.

The Captaincy of Guatemala:
View attachment 747188
Labeled:
View attachment 747189

This is the map with @Atzyn 's CA patch.
I have adjusted Drex's internal border colours as he did not intend them to be used.
Lastly, corrected a doubling of the Ganges.

EugYsJE.png

I think these are the government types we are looking at;
I'm certain many of them can be combined, any suggestions or preferences?
1​
PresidencyAdministative areas of the East India Company later splitting into Provinces.
2​
Princely State/ResidenciesThe princely states were directly ruled by Indian princes, though under a close eye from the British authorities.
3​
Allied KingdomNepal and the Punjab are good examples of Kingdoms heavily influenced by the Empire.
4​
Non-Regulation Provinces & DistrictsProvinces that were acquired but were not annexed to any of the three Presidencies, not governed by the existing regulations of the Bengal, Madras, or Bombay Presidencies.
5​
Regulation ProvincesAny territory or province added by conquest or treaty to a Presidency came under the existing regulations of that Presidency.
6​
Crown ColonyA type of colonial administration of the English and later the British Empire, whose legislature and administration were controlled by the Crown.
7​
Charter ColonyThe King granted a charter to the colonial government establishing the rules under which the colony was to be governed and charter colonies elected their own governors
8​
Proprietary ColonyProprietary colonies were governed by a Lord Proprietor, who, holding authority by virtue of a royal charter, usually exercised that authority almost as an independent sovereign. Eventually these were converted to Crown colonies.
9​
Chartered CompanyA chartered company is an association formed by investors or shareholders for the purpose of trade, exploration and colonization.
10​
ProtectoratesA protectorate is a territory which is not formally annexed but in which, by treaty, grant or other lawful means, the Crown has power and jurisdiction.
11​
Protected StatesA protected state is a territory under a foreign ruler which enjoys British protection, over whose foreign affairs she exercises control, but in respect of whose internal affairs she does not exercise jurisdiction.
12​
DominionsDominions were semi-independent polities that were nominally under the Crown, constituting the British Empire. The dominions had been previously Crown colonies, and some of the colonies had been united to form dominions.
13​
MandatesMandates were forms of territory created after the end of the First World War. A number of German colonies and protectorates and Ottoman provinces were held as mandates by the United Kingdom and its dominions. In theory these territories were governed on behalf of the League of Nations for the benefit of their inhabitants.
14​
DependenciesThe Crown Dependencies are not part of the UK but are self-governing dependencies of the Crown. The Crown Dependencies are the Bailiwick of Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man.
15​
ViceroyaltiesThe Viceroy was the chief representative of the King and held political, military, administrative, and minor legal powers.
16​
AudienciasAudiencias were charged to safeguard the rights of Indians [two days a week were allotted to hearing cases involving them] their primary function was judicial.
17​
GobernacionesA governorate is an administrative division of a country. It is headed by a governor. As English-speaking nations tend to call regions administered by governors either states or provinces
18​
Corregimientosa Spanish term used for country subdivisions for royal administrative purposes, ensuring districts were under crown control as opposed to local elites.

Last edited:
Those sound interesting, but, as you say, many of those would be basically the same thing, but with a different name.

For instance, the "County Palatines" had different names, but a (probably) similarly autonomous status within their area.

Meanwhile, "Presidency", "Crown", "Kingdom" etc. are basically just different names for "conveniently-sized first level administrative areas" within the Worldraj.

I think these are the government types we are looking at;
I'm certain many of them can be combined, any suggestions or preferences?
1​
PresidencyAdministative areas of the East India Company later splitting into Provinces.
2​
Princely State/ResidenciesThe princely states were directly ruled by Indian princes, though under a close eye from the British authorities.
3​
Allied KingdomNepal and the Punjab are good examples of Kingdoms heavily influenced by the Empire.
4​
Non-Regulation Provinces & DistrictsProvinces that were acquired but were not annexed to any of the three Presidencies, not governed by the existing regulations of the Bengal, Madras, or Bombay Presidencies.
5​
Regulation ProvincesAny territory or province added by conquest or treaty to a Presidency came under the existing regulations of that Presidency.
6​
Crown ColonyA type of colonial administration of the English and later the British Empire, whose legislature and administration were controlled by the Crown.
7​
Charter ColonyThe King granted a charter to the colonial government establishing the rules under which the colony was to be governed and charter colonies elected their own governors
8​
Proprietary ColonyProprietary colonies were governed by a Lord Proprietor, who, holding authority by virtue of a royal charter, usually exercised that authority almost as an independent sovereign. Eventually these were converted to Crown colonies.
9​
Chartered CompanyA chartered company is an association formed by investors or shareholders for the purpose of trade, exploration and colonization.
10​
ProtectoratesA protectorate is a territory which is not formally annexed but in which, by treaty, grant or other lawful means, the Crown has power and jurisdiction.
11​
Protected StatesA protected state is a territory under a foreign ruler which enjoys British protection, over whose foreign affairs she exercises control, but in respect of whose internal affairs she does not exercise jurisdiction.
12​
DominionsDominions were semi-independent polities that were nominally under the Crown, constituting the British Empire. The dominions had been previously Crown colonies, and some of the colonies had been united to form dominions.
13​
MandatesMandates were forms of territory created after the end of the First World War. A number of German colonies and protectorates and Ottoman provinces were held as mandates by the United Kingdom and its dominions. In theory these territories were governed on behalf of the League of Nations for the benefit of their inhabitants.
14​
DependenciesThe Crown Dependencies are not part of the UK but are self-governing dependencies of the Crown. The Crown Dependencies are the Bailiwick of Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man.
15​
ViceroyaltiesThe Viceroy was the chief representative of the King and held political, military, administrative, and minor legal powers.
16​
AudienciasAudiencias were charged to safeguard the rights of Indians [two days a week were allotted to hearing cases involving them] their primary function was judicial.
17​
GobernacionesA governorate is an administrative division of a country. It is headed by a governor. As English-speaking nations tend to call regions administered by governors either states or provinces
18​
Corregimientosa Spanish term used for country subdivisions for royal administrative purposes, ensuring districts were under crown control as opposed to local elites.

Those sound interesting, but, as you say, many of those would be basically the same thing, but with a different name.

For instance, the "County Palatines" had different names, but a (probably) similarly autonomous status within their area.

Meanwhile, "Presidency", "Crown", "Kingdom" etc. are basically just different names for "conveniently-sized first level administrative areas" within the Worldraj.

Ignoring the possible use of outlines to get more categories, here's me adapting the standard 5 shade model:
3: lightest colour, independent to some degree (possibly de jure as well) (some European states, including possibly the autonomous kingdoms could fall here)
2-8-9-10-11: lighter colour, autonomous but some sort of "native" origin rather than just autonomous/self ruling colony (counties palatine might fall here, various European vassal states also do) (charter/company rule could use its own colour, maybe a possible use of outlining) (of coure, protectorates that were native monarchies and protectorates that were simply autonomous colonies both existed in OTL British Empire. the former could be considered similar to a princely state while the other might be considered a different sort of subdivision)
1-4-5-6-16-17-18-Counties in Britain-direct royal demense in Europe: Same group, main colour
7-12-14-15: Darker colour, self ruling but not "native" (counties palatinate might fall here, autonomous kingdoms like Portugal and Burgundy pretty much certainly do)
13: Darkest colour, If you are going to have mandates (with WorldRaj League of Nations seems superflous). Could also be used for military areas (places with history as military frontier territories, gibraltar, some islands or coastal naval bases) or things like dominion territorries (as opposed to states/provinces) and mostly uninhabited areas. Also national parks/nature reserves could be here

Possible further divisions:
1. Distinction could be made between direct appointed governor colonies and "metropole" if the colonies do not have parliamentary representation as parts of the directly ruled portion (aka. Empire proper, without self ruling or autonomous parts)
2. Company rule made separate
3. I put Proprietary Colony in lighter rather than darker colour because a Lord Proprietor rules like a vassal monarch. Could be but into the darker colour as a self ruling colony as well, however (or given distinction)
4. Protectorate-Princely State area, distinction could be made, as stated above between more colonial protectorate and native state under influence style protectorate/princely state.

Last edited:
Thank you, exactly what I asked for.

Also, for South Asia, is it basically the same British Raj administrative divisions as in OTL?
Yes it is but given Alex said;
I'm presuming Britain took over the globe at whatever damn point gives me the most division to work with. This is entirely about artistic sensibility, not plausibility.
you have leeway

Ignoring the possible use of outlines to get more categories, here's me adapting the standard 5 shade model:
3: lightest colour, independent to some degree (possibly de jure as well) (some European states, including possibly the autonomous kingdoms could fall here)
2-8-9-10-11: lighter colour, autonomous but some sort of "native" origin rather than just autonomous/self ruling colony (counties palatine might fall here, various European vassal states also do) (charter/company rule could use its own colour, maybe a possible use of outlining) (of coure, protectorates that were native monarchies and protectorates that were simply autonomous colonies both existed in OTL British Empire. the former could be considered similar to a princely state while the other might be considered a different sort of subdivision)
1-4-5-6-16-17-18-Counties in Britain-direct royal demense in Europe: Same group, main colour
7-12-14-15: Darker colour, self ruling but not "native" (counties palatinate might fall here, autonomous kingdoms like Portugal and Burgundy pretty much certainly do)
13: Darkest colour, If you are going to have mandates (with WorldRaj League of Nations seems superflous). Could also be used for military areas (places with history as military frontier territories, gibraltar, some islands or coastal naval bases) or things like dominion territorries (as opposed to states/provinces) and mostly uninhabited areas. Also national parks/nature reserves could be here

Possible further divisions:
1. Distinction could be made between direct appointed governor colonies and "metropole" if the colonies do not have parliamentary representation as parts of the directly ruled portion (aka. Empire proper, without self ruling or autonomous parts)
2. Company rule made separate
3. I put Proprietary Colony in lighter rather than darker colour because a Lord Proprietor rules like a vassal monarch. Could be but into the darker colour as a self ruling colony as well, however (or given distinction)
4. Protectorate-Princely State area, distinction could be made, as stated above between more colonial protectorate and native state under influence style protectorate.
Whoo, You've really thought this through. a lot to consider.

As to India:

Analytical Engine said:
Speaking of India, I expect it to be a massive monolithic province ITTL, because irony.
Alex Richards said:
Nah, I'm working out how to make the Raj even more Raj-y.

Just to remind everyone, the in-depth Wales post was Version 2, which as well as being much larger scale was also intended to be a bit more thought out in terms of backstory.

I mean one side effect of that is 'England is a lot more medieval in governance'- partially because I've got a good source map for the Tudor baronies of Northern England

This is the map with @Atzyn 's CA patch.
I have adjusted Drex's internal border colours as he did not intend them to be used.
Lastly, corrected a doubling of the Ganges.

EugYsJE.png
Just a quick question about the purple bits in China - are those under the control of the Royal Navy, or something? Or are they just administered together?

Just a quick question about the purple bits in China - are those under the control of the Royal Navy, or something? Or are they just administered together?
They are remnants from Drex's colour scheme- the treaty ports of china, I'm thinking of giving them the special status colour.

Speaking of which I've put this key together to [hopefully] cover all eventualities.
You'll note that I am also suggesting a slight colour change so this is distinguishable from its magnificent "ancestor"

03.06.22.0.1 WorldRaj MASTER key.png

They are remnants from Drex's colour scheme- the treaty ports of china, I'm thinking of giving them the special status colour.

Speaking of which I've put this key together to [hopefully] cover all eventualities.
You'll note that I am also suggesting a slight colour change so this is distinguishable from its magnificent "ancestor"

View attachment 747368

Seems like a good and comprehensive enough key to me.

Here's my rough idea for how the United Kingdoms came to be:
1266: With support from the Pope, Edmund Crouchback (son of Henry III of England) overthrows Manfred as King of Sicily. One of Edmund's descendents will marry the King of the United Kingdoms, bringing Sicily in the Union.​
1399: Shortly after becoming King of Castile, Henry IV launches a invasion of England to seize power from Richard II. This forms the United Kingdoms of England and Castile.​
Mid 13th Century: Henry VI and II successfully defeats the Dauphin in the War of the French Succession.​
1542: Henry VIII is proclaimed as King of Ireland.​
1603: Elizabeth I dies, with her first cousin twice removed James VI of Scotland succeeding her as King.​
1749: The United Kingdoms of the 7 Crowns is formed from the union of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Castile, Bohemia, and Sicily.​
Still don't know how Bohemia fits in.