The R-QBAM main thread

As promised, the Baltic states. Next up, the first foray into the Balkans, then Sweden. Guess which one I'm not looking forward to.

Patch 23 - the Baltic States;
- Added Estonia.
- Added Latvia.
- Added Lithuania.

1650627190235.png

After a lot of faffing over the Dalmatian islands, I've finally got a chunk of the Balkans complete enough that I'm happy with it. The only slight hold-up is that I'm not entirely sure what's the best way to display Bosnia's ... unique government structure. I've settled on colouring everything Bosnian orange to represent the bipartite(ish) federative division of the country, though a case could be made that Srpska is in fact an autonomous region of Bosnia as a whole and should be coloured as such. I'll fish for opinions here as to whether it needs changing, but for now I'll leave it as it is.

Next up on the schedule is Sweden. Yup. While that will definitely take a while (don't expect it to be done for at least a week), I may throw together the much-threatened purge of unnecessary lakes half way through just for something different to do, so it may not be a full week till the next patch. Watch this space.

Patch 24 - Balkans 1;
- Patched a section of the Czech-German border.
- Patched the Hungarian-Croatian border.
- Added Slovenia.
- Added Croatia (damn the Croatian islands).
- Added the disputed border between Croatia and Serbia (three very annoying pixels claimed by Croatia).
- Added Bosnia and Herzegovina, showing federal entities to the best of my ability (don't ask).

1650884188076.png

Well this was horrendous. Damn Sweden and its many lakes.

Thanks to Sweden's apparently fractal lakes and to a lesser extent its gnarly coastline this patch took a little longer to finish than I expected it to (eight days, when I thought it would take five to six days to do initially). Eh, two days isn't too bad of an overrun, and at least I have the relatively easy Balkans to look forward to for the rest of the week. I am not looking forward to Finland.

In addition, trying to map an area with that many small lakes really hammered home that yes, I had been a bit too generous showing small lakes in the rest of Europe. Dozens of single-pixel lakes have been removed, while dozens more multi-pixel lakes have been shrunk to account for this, in addition to a handful of coastal patches made while I was cleaning everything up. Only the most notable patches are listed below, but there were many more besides that it would be too tedious to list individually.

Patch 25 - Sweden;
- Added Sweden (so .... many .... lakes).
- Added small portions of the Norwegian coastline and lakes directly adjacent to the Swedish border.
- Removed dozens of superfluous lakes, mostly in Poland, Spain and Portugal, but basically every country lost at least one.
- Patched Estonia's northern coastline.
- Patched the French coast near the southern border with Spain (no idea how that little screw up crept in, but it's fixed now).

1651553520346.png

Well this was horrendous. Damn Sweden and its many lakes.

Thanks to Sweden's apparently fractal lakes and to a lesser extent its gnarly coastline this patch took a little longer to finish than I expected it to (eight days, when I thought it would take five to six days to do initially). Eh, two days isn't too bad of an overrun, and at least I have the relatively easy Balkans to look forward to for the rest of the week. I am not looking forward to Finland.

In addition, trying to map an area with that many small lakes really hammered home that yes, I had been a bit too generous showing small lakes in the rest of Europe. Dozens of single-pixel lakes have been removed, while dozens more multi-pixel lakes have been shrunk to account for this, in addition to a handful of coastal patches made while I was cleaning everything up. Only the most notable patches are listed below, but there were many more besides that it would be too tedious to list individually.

Patch 25 - Sweden;
- Added Sweden (so .... many .... lakes).
- Added small portions of the Norwegian coastline and lakes directly adjacent to the Swedish border.
- Removed dozens of superfluous lakes, mostly in Poland, Spain and Portugal, but basically every country lost at least one.
- Patched Estonia's northern coastline.
- Patched the French coast near the southern border with Spain (no idea how that little screw up crept in, but it's fixed now).

View attachment 738517
I do not envy your attempts to draw Norway's infinite fractal coastline.

Huh. Funny how things work out. Having overrun my estimates for how long Sweden would take, I was able to smash out the south-central Balkans in a day. Next up, Finland.

I do not envy your attempts to draw Norway's infinite fractal coastline.

I'm not looking forward to Norway. Really, really not looking forward to Norway. Oh well, I'll get it done eventually, even if it takes weeks. Slow and steady wins the race and all.

Patch 25 - Balkans 2;
- Added Montenegro.
- Added Serbia (showing autonomous Vojvodina).
- Added Kosovo (showing sovereignty dispute).
- Added Albania.
- Added North Macedonia.
- Added Corfu (it's basically touching the Albanian coast, it was just easier to add it).

1651653108861.png

Huh. Funny how things work out. Having overrun my estimates for how long Sweden would take, I was able to smash out the south-central Balkans in a day. Next up, Finland.

I'm not looking forward to Norway. Really, really not looking forward to Norway. Oh well, I'll get it done eventually, even if it takes weeks. Slow and steady wins the race and all.

Patch 25 - Balkans 2;
- Added Montenegro.
- Added Serbia (showing autonomous Vojvodina).
- Added Kosovo (showing sovereignty dispute).
- Added Albania.
- Added North Macedonia.
- Added Corfu (it's basically touching the Albanian coast, it was just easier to add it).

View attachment 738845
And with that, we can now make Yugoslavia.
1651674417428.png

Hot-take of the day - Google maps should be in Equirectangular. I mean seriously, why is it still in Mercator? I'm sure I'm already preaching to the choir that unless you're a 16th century navigator, Mercator sucks due to horrendous size distortions it introduces near the poles. Unfortunately a pseudo-cylindrical projection (for example Robinson, Kavrayskiy VII or Equal Earth) isn't really compatible with a side-scrolling model of map and so couldn't really be used, but there are other options besides Mercator (we do not talk about Gall-Peters). If you want to keep it simple, go with Equirectangular. Things are still distorted, but much less horribly, and at least the sizes are roughly in-line and not inflated. If you want to go fancier, then I'm sure google would have the know-how to just integrate google Earth with google maps and just correctly show everything as a globe.

I mention this for two reasons. Firstly as the whole issue was recently pointed out again by the ever-amusing xkcd in a recent comic (with a link to a very interesting interactive tool that allows you to visualise just how broken and distorted Mercator is by selecting new pole locations (go on, use it, try searching for your own house)). Secondly, because this has really screwed with me while trying to add Finland and Sweden to the R-QBAM. To restate how I make these patches, I have multiple versions of the old 8K-BAM (political, topographic ect), resized and reprojected into Robinson, then draw-over borders and coastlines as a separate layer. But the trace isn't perfect, mostly because shrinking and reprojecting the original maps introduces distortions that must be accounted for, and secondarily because I don't entirely trust the 8K-BAM basemap. Now, to account for this, when drawing on my own coastal layers, I'll be cross-referencing with multiple other maps of the area to make sure I'm doing things right (or at least, right enough), and one of my main sources is Google maps. And there's the problem. The northern regions of Sweden and Finland are rather unpleasantly distorted in google maps whereas the 8K-BAM in equirectangular shows a more reasonable pattern of lakes and borders, and dealing with this was extremely annoying.

And let's not even start on Siberia, that's completely wrong in the most current QBAM but actually fine in older versions, mostly due to Mercator. What I think happened is that somebody looking at google maps noticed that the northern coast of Siberia and associated islands looked kinda off and "corrected it'', without realising that it was actually google maps that was off (because Mercator), and that the original QBAM coastline was actually much closer to how the area should look in Robinson. It's a problem I noticed months ago when I started this project, and it's been bugging me ever since.

So uh, sorry about the extensive rant on map projections. By this point I was numb to Finland's horrendous lakes and coast, so the thing that really stuck out when making the latest patch was just how horrible Mercator is. Anyway yeah, I got Finland done. Took a week but I got it done. Next up, more of the Balkans.

Patch 26 - Finland;
- Added Finland (including the autonomous Aland islands).
- Added the Russian portion of the Gulf of Finland, including several small islands.

1652306299426.png

If you want to go fancier, then I'm sure google would have the know-how to just integrate google Earth with google maps and just correctly show everything as a globe.
I'm pretty sure that as of now, the default projection on Google Maps is actually the globe - both in satellite and regular map. If for some reason yours is still in Mercator, try going to Layers > More > Globe View, bottom left corner.

I'm pretty sure that as of now, the default projection on Google Maps is actually the globe - both in satellite and regular map. If for some reason yours is still in Mercator, try going to Layers > More > Globe View, bottom left corner.

Damnit, new laptop. I had the globe set as the default on google maps on my last laptop, but for whatever reason the new laptop switched back to bloody Mercator. And the Annoying thing is, I didn't notice - it was bugging me that it was wrong but it never quite clicked that I used to have it set as a globe. Two weeks staring at northern Scandinavia made that worse, hence the rant when I finally finished Finland.

Thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed now.

Anyway ...

Patch 27 - Balkans 3;
- Added Bulgaria.
- Added Romania.
- Added Moldova (showing autonomous Gagauzia).
- Added the unrecognised state of Transnistria, showing Russian occupation of two key sites (an arms depot in the north and the capital Tiraspol). Moldovan claim on Transnistria not shown due to the small size/thinness of the territory (trying to show this claim colours most of the country Moldovan brown).
- Added Ukraine south of the Dniester Estuary, including the now-infamous Snake Island (funnily enough, not shown on any of the previous versions of the QBAM).

1652523785002.png

I do not envy you when you get to Greece.
Russia will be fun:rolleyes:
And Canada. And Indonesia. And Japan.

And Chile...
Don't forget Norway, which seems to be coming up real soon. Good luck.

To be honest, I'm not that worried about most of those. Greece, Japan and Indonesia are just islands - hell, a year or two back I did my own custom Indonesian islands patch for the QBAM (that alas I never got around to posting anywhere), and a lot of that should be transferable. Japan will be a bit annoying as it's near enough to the edge of the map that things start getting distorted again, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Russia is big but fortunately it's also federal. My plan is thus to grind through Russia over a month or so, two to three oblasts/republics/krais at a time. Should be doable if I break the country down into bite-sized chunks.

As for the others mentioned ... they won't be fun. And yes, Norway is next up on the schedule. Don't be surprised if the next update takes a fortnight or longer.

And a disclaimer for the current update. As stated upthread, the map is set to the 1st January 2022, and thus shows the status quo in Ukraine a little under two months before the shit hit the fan. This is for two reasons; Firstly to avoid talking about a very current-politics war outside Chat, and secondly because this map will take quite a while to complete. The next time I get to a country with active frontlines (probably Syria) could be in a month or two, by which time frontlines back in Ukraine will have shifted again. It's just easier to set a fixed date and work from that. Oh, and I'm working on de-facto control of territory here, hence why Crimea is shown as Russian. With all those disclaimers out of the way ...

Patch 28 - Ruthenia;
- Added Belarus, showing heavy Russian influence (it's not quite at full 'puppet-state' levels, but it's getting there).
- Added Ukraine, and oh boy are we in for some controversy. Also showing Crimea (internationally recognised as Ukrainian but de-facto Russian administered following the 2014 annexation), and Russia's two puppet states in the Donbas, the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics.

1652872889805.png