Why the Chinese play cricket (an Imperial Federation timeline)

Military Matters Index
This is where you'll find links to things such as army lists, weapons data, ramblings on the development of land and aerial warfare ITTL. If I get time, I'd love to include reports and maps of significant battles, but that would be time consuming, so probably not possible. There are likely to be nowhere near as many links here compared with Naval Matters, but there will be some.

- The Smith & Wesson Model 3 Revolver
- British Army regiments after 1881 Cardwell Reforms
- Indian Army after the 1895 Roberts Reforms
- Chinese Civil War (Start of Hostilities August 1901 to Fall of Nanjing April 1903)
- Chinese Civil War ( Fall of Nanjing April 1903 to Armistice September 1904)
-
Ground Combat Rules

Last edited:
YES FINALLY!!!!!!!!
I have at long last, dealt with my perhaps my biggest ongoing dissatisfaction with this iteration. THE FREE TRADE PARTY IS NO MORE! Introducing,... The Progressives

(yes I am aware this may cause confusion later when Teddy Roosevelt makes his run against Taft, but by then I'm hoping the UK Progressives will have been absorbed into the Tories, or at least faded to virtual obscurity. Either way I'll deal with that when and if.)

August 1874: Alarmed by Forster's selection as leader of the Liberal Party and discontent with the growing influence of the radicals, 48 whig Liberals, led by George Goschen and Lord Landsdowne, split to form the Progressive Liberal Party, more commonly known as the Progressive Party or simply Progressives.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
Yes exactly, Canada gains the islands. And yes the nett practical effect of this is precisely zero. However, this is the border Canada wanted.

The treaty historically was deeply unpopular with the Canadian public. The real change is the US agrees to some form of compensation for the Fenian raids, albeit token (effectively paid for by a reduction in the amount the US paid to access Canadian fishing grounds, along with the removal of the British apology over the Alabama). Still not exactly popular in Canada, but more so than the OTL. The boundary dispute, it just a little extra sugar to make it slightly more palatable to the average Canadian.

Just realised, I've not mentioned the exact amounts of the US compensation for the Fenian raids. I'll add it in.
Control of the San Juan Islands means the Puget Sound doesn't have access to international waters, significantly reducing Seattle's value as a port. This is why the USA was so adamant about taking the islands (which were populated by Canadians).

Edit: also, it may not seem like a big deal to the USA, but control of the San Juan Islands doubles the land area of Canada that is in plant hardiness zone 10, the area has huge agricultural potential as a part of Canada.

Control of the San Juan Islands means the Puget Sound doesn't have access to international waters, significantly reducing Seattle's value as a port. This is why the USA was so adamant about taking the islands (which were populated by Canadians).

Edit: also, it may not seem like a big deal to the USA, but control of the San Juan Islands doubles the land area of Canada that is in plant hardiness zone 10, the area has huge agricultural potential as a part of Canada.

Ohhhhh, now that is very interesting. Doubtless, the US wouldn't be exactly thrilled. However at this time, the US, Canadians and British are on fairly good terms I believe, well at least speaking terms. So I should possibly add a note along the lines of the Canadians agree to unrestricted US access to the seaway?

Ohhhhh, now that is very interesting. Doubtless, the US wouldn't be exactly thrilled. However at this time, the US, Canadians and British are on fairly good terms I believe, well at least speaking terms. So I should possibly add a note along the lines of the Canadians agree to unrestricted US access to the seaway?
Hey, "your house, your rules". :) I should start by commending your work and letting you know I'm enjoying this very much

But yes, I suspect that if the Rosario Strait is chosen, it would come with unrestricted access for Americans (Canada/Britain would only really have reason to block the Americans in the event of war - which OTL has never happened).

Hey, "your house, your rules". :) I should start by commending your work and letting you know I'm enjoying this very much

But yes, I suspect that if the Rosario Strait is chosen, it would come with unrestricted access for Americans (Canada/Britain would only really have reason to block the Americans in the event of war - which OTL has never happened).

Please feel free to criticise my TL, hell rip it to shreds if you feel it appropriate. Just please tell me why you feel it appropriate. Praise is great for the ego, but it's criticism which makes my work better, tells me what I'm doing wrong lol. Plus I'm always open to suggestions on how to make it better. However thank you very much, I'm enjoying creating it very much too.

Funny you should mention war though, because that's exactly what ended up happening last iteration. Not sure if it will this time, but the logic which drove it that way in i3 still exists in this iteration. Took a LONG time to get to that point, seventy years into the TL in fact. But nothing so far has happened this go round which would prevent or even make it less likely the TL takes that fork. Nothing which makes it more likely though either. However having an Anglophobic US president elected in 1884 could become a factor 😎

A seemingly minor but potential very significant if the TL follows the same path in the 1930s and 40s as it did in the 3rd iteration. Many thanks to @durante for bringing the issue to my attention. I really had no idea the significance of this to the US.

October 1872: The arbitration committee established by King Christian of Denmark decides in favour of Canada in the Vancouver border dispute, choosing the Rosario Strait as the border. This immediately raises concerns in the US regarding Seattles access to the sea, leading to their ambassador in Britain, Robert Schenk, raising the matter with Lord Granville, British Foreign Secretary. Lord Granville defers the matter until he has consulted with Canadian Prime Minister, John MacDonald. MacDonald clearly states his very strong preference for guaranteeing the US unrestricted access to the seaway. The matter is initially settle by an exchange of notes between the three governments, but the agreement will be formalised in the Treaty of Ottawa the next year which additionally permanently demilitarises the San Juan Islands.

=McUpdate=

Please feel free to criticise my TL, hell rip it to shreds if you feel it appropriate. Just please tell me why you feel it appropriate. Praise is great for the ego, but it's criticism which makes my work better, tells me what I'm doing wrong lol. Plus I'm always open to suggestions on how to make it better. However thank you very much, I'm enjoying creating it very much too.

Funny you should mention war though, because that's exactly what ended up happening last iteration. Not sure if it will this time, but the logic which drove it that way in i3 still exists in this iteration. Took a LONG time to get to that point, seventy years into the TL in fact. But nothing so far has happened this go round which would prevent or even make it less likely the TL takes that fork. Nothing which makes it more likely though either. However having an Anglophobic US president elected in 1884 could become a factor 😎
Just as a follow-up thought to this: the USA could just as easily move port/naval operations to Port Angeles, WA or to Portland, OR. And any treaty would guarantee commercial shipping out of the Puget Sound, which the Canadians would have no reason to oppose

Just as a follow-up thought to this: the USA could just as easily move port/naval operations to Port Angeles, WA or to Portland, OR. And any treaty would guarantee commercial shipping out of the Puget Sound, which the Canadians would have no reason to oppose

How the Pacific War between the CW and US-Japanese alliance came about was quite unexpected. Up till the Great War relations between the three were good. Then the US got dragged into the Great War in 1915 and the British stayed out. Japan, eyeing up the German Pacific possessions came in in 1914.

Japan had offered to send an expeditionary force to Europe since they entered, and in 1915 the desperate French accepted. The JEF was put alongside the AEF and the two fought side by side for three VERY bloody years. This was the basis of the exceptional strong relationship between the US and Japan ITTL. The two form the Pacific Alliance.

While the US and Japanese were bleeding white on the Western Front, the British were busy getting rich selling weapons to them, and the Central Powers too. Also while US industry was busy feeding the meat grinder in France, the British were happily replacing them in world markets, especially South America.

Despite this, relations were still at least cordial post war. The CW tried to help the US restore it's influence in South America and went out of their way to avoid treading on their toes. There was increased commercial rivalry, but things stayed ok. The problem was Japan. The Pacific Dominions were concerned about their gains in the Pacific. Also China had split in two, the CW backed the Gaige in southern China, while the Japanese backed the Yao in the north. However this wasn't too severe

But things stayed good right up till about the 30s. By then, the Japanese had realised the Gaige were rapidly modernising and would soon be in a position to take out the Yao and rival the Japanese themselves. So the decided to use the Yao as a proxy to try and take out the Gaige. So pushed the Yao into attacking the Gaige.

Both the CW and PA wanted to avoid a direct confrontation. So tried to keep it as a proxy fight. But gradually both the CW and Japanese got more and more deeply involved in the war in China. Eventually the Gaige got the upper hand. The Japanese didn't want to see the Yao go under but every attempt at diplomatic solution foundered.

The decided to directly intervene IF they could be certain the US would back them in the event the CW became directly involved. This was in a US election year. The US ITTL had a three party system, leftwing Democrats, rightwing Republicans, and centrist Progressives. The Democrat candidate Halsey (yes the OTL admiral) had fought in the Great War and wouldn't have backed the Japanese. The Progressive candidate FD Roosevelt would have been non committal, which would have effectively stopped the Japanese. The Republican candidate Lindbergh however would back them. Lindbergh very narrowly won the election. So the US and CW ended up at war.

I said I hadn't written anything for the TL. I'd forgotten something. During my long break, I ran an online dieselpunk fantasy RPG using it as a setting. I even developed my own homebrew rule system for it. For me, that's a story.

I still have all the files. If people are interested, I'll post them. Here's the introduction. Please let me know if you'd like more. I'll even try to contact the players and see if I can repost some characters and scenes.

Pax Imperialis

The World That Was is gone. Something was changed and the old world was swept away in a trickle which became a flood. This change is known as the Remaking. It must have been a tiny change, almost infinitesimal. A change so seemingly insignificant it can not be found. Even the most skilled in the arcane arts have been unable to pin it down. Most agree it is somewhere in the late 1860s or early 1870s. But exactly what or when nobody knows. However it is also agreed, the Remaking is best left alone, the consequences of another change are unimaginable.

Those few who can see the World That Was, the Sighted, can also see Worlds That May Be. Not one of these worlds ever shows anything other than a black blasted wasteland. So it's agreed, best not to know what was changed. Still there are those want to know, want desperately to know. Because if you can change the world once, you can change it again. And those who want to know are fanatics, certain they can avoid what the Sighted see.

But regardless of what the change was or how it was made, the change was made. And it left behind a new world, a world dominated the Imperial Commonwealth, the successor to the British Empire. The most powerful state the world has ever seen. Of course the Imperial Commonwealth is not really an Empire anymore. It certainly has colonies, most exploited and benighted, but some are slowly being integrated into the Commonwealth proper, the important or valuable ones. It's supposedly a confederation now, the ten Dominions and five Home Nations all autonomous and equals, united by common interests and a common ideal.

But the Commonwealth is not alone, there are other powers. The Pacific Alliance of Japan and the USA. The Franco-Russian Entente. The Warsaw Pact of Poland and Italy. Of course there are minor members to all the alliances, but they're the core. Then there's China divided in two, Latin America where the cold war between the Commonwealth and Pacific Alliance is fought, the bitter and supposedly broken states of the former Central Powers.

Other things have changed. The dozens of airships which ply this world. Domesticated zebras the size of a horse. The gyrodynes which carry the elite special forces of the Great Powers on their clandestine missions. It's 1938 now, and the clouds of war are gathering. So this is the world one tiny change made. The Pax Imperialis, the Peace of the Emperor, King George VI, the figurehead, the symbol of the common ideal which unites the Imperial Commonwealth.

The World of the Arcane

The arcane is hidden in this world, known only to a handful, these are the Gifted. Those who know of it come to it in many different ways. Some are found young, taken as an apprentice by a Mage and taught the Craft. Others seek it out and learn Craft, either by training or studying ancient tomes. Others stumble upon it by accident and learn the Craft of necessity. Others a simply born with an innate ability and require no training. These last are called Wild Talents, emotional, unpredictable and usually unstable. But however they come to the arcane, they come to it. Most live two lives, a mundane and an arcane. Others devote their lives to it. These are the Mages, the most powerful of the arcane world.

There's no formal organisation, no council or the like. There's an informal understanding. Older experienced Mages who've proved themselves are respected and their opinions listened to. They work together to keep things running smoothly. There's a Code too, a set of ethics. It's pretty simple. Make things better not worse, don't upset the natural balance of the world, deal with anything that might and above all, keep it secret.

Naturally there are things which upset the balance. Otherworld creatures which seep through, vampires, spectres, poltergeists, even things as mundane as goblins. Restless and malign spirits with unfinished business who need to be laid to rest. And worst of all, those of the arcane who refuse to follow the Code.

Relics

Relics are items of great power. They are fragments of the World Which Was which survived the Remaking. All of these date from 1877 onwards. It is thought this is when the Remaking became stable. It certainly fits, the Remaking was not detected until 1878, and by then it was too late. From time to time new Relics appear when the timeline reaches the point when the Relic was created in the World That Was.

The powers of each are unique, but they have one power in common. They can remake time. They can change an event. A rock which falls on one side may be made to fall on the other. A die which throws six may be made to throw one. There is a time limit, it depends on the Relic, but never it is more than three minutes and never less than one.

Each Relic also has a unique nature, a personality if you will. They will not work for just anyone, they will only work for someone who's nature matches theirs. Most who possess a Relic claim they are sentient and even talk to them.

Arcane Weapons

An arcane weapon is one of the following three things:

- A weapon which has been enchanted using the kinetic gift
- A weapon which has been manufactured out of meteoric nickel/iron
- A weapon which is also a Relic

With the exception of Relics, the projectiles of a ranged weapon must be of arcane nature, not the weapon itself (eg an arcane bullet may be fired from a mundane pistol and enchanting a pistol makes no difference to its bullets). However in the case of Relics which are ranged weapons, all projectiles are treated as arcane weapons.

Last edited:
The World of the Arcane
When you put in the world Arcane I really thought it was a Harry Potter/Wizarding World aspect of the Imperial Commonwealth.

I do wonder what it would look like I would guess Grindalwald would actually delay his war/takeover in Europe instead using WW2 as cover due to Germany not being the immediate aggressor and use the Chaos to build up his army and then shattering the statue by taking over Europe.

Of course I could see Dumbledore being a major force for the Imperial Commonwealth efforts against him but that’s just me musing.

When you put in the world Arcane I really thought it was a Harry Potter/Wizarding World aspect of the Imperial Commonwealth.

I do wonder what it would look like I would guess Grindalwald would actually delay his war/takeover in Europe instead using WW2 as cover due to Germany not being the immediate aggressor and use the Chaos to build up his army and then shattering the statue by taking over Europe.

Of course I could see Dumbledore being a major force for the Imperial Commonwealth efforts against him but that’s just me musing.

Lol, I have strong views on the Wizarding World and Ms Rowling's writing. Nothing to do with her opinions on a certain kind of women (though I have even stronger views regarding that subject, but I'd rather avoid bringing it up in case anyone here shares her opinions). I think she's at best a mediocre writer.

She's technically competent and pleasant enough to read, but when it comes to world building and plot development, she truly sucks. Her plots are constantly resorting to Deus Ex Machina and one off McGuffins which are never seen again to get out of the many plot corners she writes herself into. Her writing is also blatantly racist, sexist and classist. Her world is basically England before the 60s viewed through very thick rose tinted lenses

Her characters are almost all cardboard stereotypes. In many case, their very name gives you all you need to know about them before even a single line of dialogue. Their motivations have absolutely no subtlety or depth. Their actions are telegraphed long in advance. Take Snape and the supposed ambiguity over his loyalties running through all seven books. If you look, his loyalties were crystal clear by the end of first book. And she had to resort to increasingly blatant and brutal methods throughout the series in a doomed attempt to hide that. His killing of Dumbledore is the literary equivalent of attacking the reader with a rather large lead pipe.

And many of those McGuffins have massive implications for her world which are quite simply ignored. Her rules of magic are not internally consistent, changing whenever it's convenient to the plot. And her world is utterly illogical, for heavens sake, Wizarding currency is built around two prime numbers. She created a team sport where all but one person is completely irrelevant. The examples go on and on.

And worst of all she makes absolutely no effort to mask the complete lack of rationality in her world. As a writer, I'd put her on a par with Enid Blyton. And at least Enid Blyton had the "excuse" of writing at a time when racism, sexism and classism were socially acceptable.

Sigh I'm sorry for my rant, it's a VERY bad habit of mine. I do very sincerely apologise to anyone if any of this offends or distresses them.

Last edited:
Lol, I have strong views on the Wizarding World and Ms Rowling's writing. Nothing to do with her opinions on a certain kind of women (though I have even stronger views regarding that subject, but I'd rather avoid bringing it up in case anyone here shares her opinions). I think she's at best a mediocre writer.

She's technically competent and pleasant enough to read, but when it comes to world building and plot development, she truly sucks. Her plots are constantly resorting to Deus Ex Machina and one off McGuffins which are never seen again to get out of the many plot corners she writes herself into. Her writing is also blatantly racist, sexist and classist. Her world is basically England before the 60s viewed through very thick rose tinted lenses

Her characters are almost all cardboard stereotypes. In many case, their very name gives you all you need to know about them before even a single line of dialogue. Their motivations have absolutely no subtlety or depth. Their actions are telegraphed long in advance. Take Snape and the supposed ambiguity over his loyalties running through all seven books. If you look, his loyalties were crystal clear by the end of first book. And she had to resort to increasingly blatant and brutal methods throughout the series in a doomed attempt to hide that. His killing of Dumbledore is the literary equivalent of attacking the reader with a rather large lead pipe.

And many of those McGuffins have massive implications for her world which are quite simply ignored. Her rules of magic are not internally consistent, changing whenever it's convenient to the plot. And her world is utterly illogical, for heavens sake, Wizarding currency is built around two prime numbers. She created a team sport where all but one person is completely irrelevant. The examples go on and on.

And worst of all she makes absolutely no effort to mask the complete lack of rationality in her world. As a writer, I'd put her on a par with Enid Blyton. And at least Enid Blyton had the "excuse" of writing at a time when racism, sexism and classism were socially acceptable.

Sigh I'm sorry for my rant, it's a VERY bad habit of mine. I do very sincerely apologise to anyone if any of this offends or distresses them.
That’s fine it good to recognise the good and bad elements in works that in some way shaped your talents even if it’s what not to do.

I think the best way to look at her writing is she is good story idea creator (I.e. she gets you hooked in on surface level without you really looking at it critically) and can make good plot elements (I.e. specific scenes you will always remember) but a poor world builder and consistent plot writer.

Basically she made a good foundation but barely managed to stick it all together into a coherent plot which breaks apart if you look at it in anyway critically.

It’s probably why there is so much fan fiction of it because the pieces are all there to make a good consistent world, plot and story if you have the talent for it.

That’s fine it good to recognise the good and bad elements in works that in some way shaped your talents even if it’s what not to do.

I think the best way to look at her writing is she is good story idea creator (I.e. she gets you hooked in on surface level without you really looking at it critically) and can make good plot elements (I.e. specific scenes you will always remember) but a poor world builder and consistent plot writer.

Basically she made a good foundation but barely managed to stick it all together into a coherent plot which breaks apart if you look at it in anyway critically.

It’s probably why there is so much fan fiction of it because the pieces are all there to make a good consistent world, plot and story if you have the talent for it.

Thank you. I tend to spend immense efforts on world building (this TL is an example). And my introduction to both writing and RPGs was Traveller and the 3rd Imperium setting, possibly one of the richest and best developed SF settings ever. Funnily enough I learnt a hell of a lot about my style of world building from talking with Marc Millar about his sociological approach. Basically, things which seem weird and counterintuitive in a world, almost always have some logical reason behind them, which when you figure out makes you go "ah yes, of course, it makes sense now." The reason may well be highly dependent on culture, making no sense in a different culture. But even then, there will also be some logical reason why the specific culture is the way it is.

To totally honest I've lost tack of which updates I've posted and which I have not since I started revising the TL to deal with India. I'm also not completely certain all of them got integrated into the individual chapters. So I'm reposting all of the updates and doing a dump into each chapter from my central master files. The “nuke it from space to be sure” option. That way I'm certain everything posted here is in 100% agreement with my master files

I'll start with the 1870-75 period, because I'm pretty they're okay. I've broken up the updates into three groups: India, China (since I'm taking the opportunity to update that too), and other stuff. The only new thing here I think is the expanded section on the accession of the Guangxu Emperor to the throne. This is likely to become important later.

February 1872: Lord Mayo, Viceroy of India is assassinated by an Afghan convict during a visit to a convict settlement in the Andaman Islands. His death sends shock-waves throughout Britain and India, even raising fears of another rebellion. However an investigation proves the assassin acted alone and from religious motivations. The radical members of the Liberal Party prompt Gladstone to appoint a committee under senior Indian civil servant John Strachey to investigate social conditions in India.

May 1872: Gladstone appoint Thomas Barring to replace the assassinated Lord Mayo as Viceroy of India. Baring embarks on an ambitious program of reform in India, seeking to reduce taxation and improve the distribution of food to tackle widespread starvation.

July 1873: The Strachey report into social conditions in India is released. The report finds many Indians are dissatisfied with their participation in the administration of the sub continent. The report recommends increased Indian representation on the provincial legislative councils, opening the senior levels of the Imperial Civil Service to “suitable” Indian candidates, reforming the Indian Imperial Police and allowing Indian officers to advance to senior levels, the inclusion of an Indian representative on the Council of India in London.

September 1873: A drought in the Indian region of Bihar lead to crop failures. Richard Temple, Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal, fearing the possibility of widespread famine quickly organises an effective relief program, importing and distributing large quantities of rice from Burma as well as extensive public works programs to provide employment. Termple's program is a huge success, with virtually no excess mortality due to the famine, plus major improvements to infrastructure as a result of the public works program. The ration provided also allows all workers to remain sufficiently healthy to immediately return to the fields when the rains finally arrive. Despite his success, Temple is heavily criticised for the costs involved, though his timely actions are praised by the radicals in parliament.

October 1873: The first concrete measure from the Strachey report is passed into law with the Indian Councils Act. The act is an attempt to increase the scope of the legislative bodies in India. The act increases each of the councils from twelve to twenty members and requires that all legislative bodies in India “include suitable representatives of native opinion.” Despite the vague wording, the act will ensure that between 35-45% of the members of Indian provincial legislative councils are in fact, Indians. It also for the first time allows the councils to discuss, though not vote on, budgetary matters and transfers authority over labour affairs to the councils..

December 1873: Vishvanath Mandlik becomes the first Indian appointed to the Council of India in London. Highly conservative in outlook, he only supports limited and gradual reform in India.

February 1874: With the highly effective response to the Bihar Famine in India ongoing, radical Liberal MP John Bright introduces the Famine Relief (India) Bill into parliament. The bill proposes setting a dedicated commission in India to oversee famine relief and finds widespread support in the house, especially with radial members, but is suspended when Gladstone calls a general elections.

April 1874: At the urging of Viceroy Thomas Baring, the Indian Legislative Council in Calcutta passes the Provincial Civil Service Act increasing Indian representation in the uncovenanted Imperial Civil Service at the provincial level. While Indians are still bared from entering the covenanted Imperial Civil which controls the higher level of Indian administration, the act does increase Indian participation in the running of the sub continent.

May 1874: Attempts to reintroduce Bright's Famine Relief (India) Bill are blocked by the new Conservative government, citing the excessive costs of the Bihar relief program. This will lead to the resignation of Thomas Barring as Viceroy of India and his replacement by the highly conservative Lord Lytton. Lord Lytton will abandon Baring's reformist policies in India, instead adopting a ruthless policy in line with his belief in social Darwinism.

September 1875: Indian nationalists Sisir Ghosh and Sambhu Mukherjee found the the India League in Calcutta. The league aims to foster the growth of pan Indian nationalist sentiment and attracts a number of prominent members of the previously unrepresented middle class in Bombay,

January 1875: The Tongzhi Emperor of Qing China unexpectedly dies at age 18 without an heir. Dowager Empresses Cixi and Ci'an, the Emperor's former regents, clash over who should succeed him, Ci'an favours one of Prince Gong, uncle to the Tongzhi Emperor, seventeen year old son Zaicheng. However Cixi prefers Prince Chun, another uncle, infant son Zaitian. Eventually, Cixi is able to prevail and Zaitian is installed as the Guangxu Emperor.

February 1871: Tsar Alexander II of Russia gifts the Zoological Society of London with three male and seven female of wild Tarpans. Francis Russell, heir to the Duchy of Bedford offers Woburn Abbey as a home for the herd.

February 1872: A small breeding heard of three males and ten female Quagga are established by the London Zoological Society in an attempt to ensure the sub species survival. The Quagga will join the Tarpans at Woburn Abbey.

October 1872: The arbitration committee established by King Christian of Denmark decides in favour of Canada in the Vancouver border dispute, choosing the Rosario Strait as the border. This immediately raises concerns in the US regarding Seattles access to the sea, leading to their ambassador in Britain, Robert Schenk, raising the matter with Lord Granville, British Foreign Secretary. Lord Granville defers the matter until he has consulted with Canadian Prime Minister, John MacDonald. MacDonald clearly states his very strong preference for guaranteeing the US unrestricted access to the seaway. The matter is initially settle by an exchange of notes between the three governments, but the agreement will be formalised in the Treaty of Ottawa the next year which additionally permanently demilitarises the San Juan Islands.

August 1874: Alarmed by Forster's selection as leader of the Liberal Party and discontent with the growing influence of the radicals, 48 whig Liberals, led by George Goschen and Lord Landsdowne, split to form the Progressive Liberal Party, more commonly known as the Progressive Party or simply Progressives.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
I just realised I have been unbelievably remiss in this iteration. I am no less than fifteen years in, and...

NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF CRICKET!!!!!!

This just will not do. So in a desperately urgent attempt to rectify my almost unforgivable mistake...

The history of cricket (BTW in the OTL, the first test match was 1877 in Australia, though Lillywhite was one of those responsible)

October 1872: The game of Cricket has been steadily losing popularity in North America in favour of the faster paced US game of baseball. In an effort to revive the game, English cricketer William Gilbert Grace organises an All England team to tour Canada and the US. The team includes many of England's top players, including John Lillywhite and Edgar Willsher. In an effort to increase public interest in the game, Lillywhite comes up with a radical new format to take advantage of the still new overarm style of bowling. Two “six day” matches of two innings will be played, one in Canada and one in the US. While the All England team defeats the US by four wickets, the Canadians will win a nail biting match by just four runs, dismissing the final English batsman late on the sixth day. Lillywhite's new format will become increasingly popular, later being termed test matches due to their gruelling nature. The new format will be repeated in a return tour of England by the Canadians next year. While the game's popularity in the US continues to decline in favour of baseball, the tour at least slows the spread of baseball in Canada.

June 1874: An All England cricket team lead by John Lillywhite tours the Australian Dominions and New Zealand. A match using Lillywhite's new “test match” format is played in Sydney, attracting huge crowds. The tour will significantly increase the popularity of the new test match format in the Empire.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
Miss C's Design Notes #4 - Believablity

I've always held that any alternate history should be logical, rational, and internally consistent. In short it should be believable. Or at least appear to be. People have occasionally commented this TL fits that bill, does wonders for my ego when they do, I have invested a lot of effort trying to craft this TL to be internally consistent, for events to follow naturally and to always be linkable back to the initial PoD, to make it appear believable. I think the more a TL does that, the better it is, so I do try very hard.

Unfortunately I also think the prime and almost sole determinant of an alternate TL's believability is how many changes are required to the OTL and how radical those changes are. Believablity is inversely proportional to both things. Again putting it simply, the more changes needed and the larger they are, the less likely they are to have happened. Seems obvious to me.

My favourite example of this is the Trent Affair, so often used to spark a war between the US and Britain, thereby saving the Confederacy. On the face of it, looks good. But even the slightest examination show the changes required to get a war from the Trent Affair are in the neighbourhood of large extraterrestrial flying mammals. Yes you can easily make the crisis associated with the Trent Affair worse, a lot worse even. And yes, this possibly could affect the course of the ACW (though I personally doubt sufficiently to save the Confederacy, the underlying causes of the likelihood of a union victory run deep).

However the changes necessary to make it bad enough to start a war are huge, both in number and scale. Why? Because when you look at the crisis, both sides were in reality going out of their way to avoid war. For the very good reason that in 1862, war between the US and Britain would have absolute madness for both. And neither Lincoln nor Palmerston were insane. Both would have gone to quite extreme lengths to avoid war. With the crisis as it was in the OTL, they didn't need to. But if it had been needed, they would have.

Trying to drag myself back on topic, the number and scale of the changes I need to make to get an Imperial Federation are actually on a par, if not greater, than the changes needed to get a war from the Trent Affair. However there are two other factors which play on apparent believability. The time available to make the changes, and the size of each individual change. A lot of small changes can have the same effect as one big change and small changes seem more believable. But you need time to do this. With Trent you have a week or two. To make enough small changes, they'd have to be coming at a mini-gun like rate, which makes them really obvious. With an Imperial Federation, you have decades, so you can slip them in here and there.

There's a reason when I used this TL as an RPG setting I included magic, other than the “magic is cool” factor. Given the number and total scale of changes required, magic is the only way it could work. I just have enough time use a lot of small changes, so I can hide them well enough to allow reasonable suspension of disbelief.

Sigh, this is another of my ego driven rambles lol. But FINALLY getting to the real point. The outcome of the Treaty of Washington of 1871 ITTL is a very large change almost immediately after the PoD. As I've written it, it's a single ASB level change, and even worse, there's no apparent justification for it. Gladstone's First Ministry being a bit more radical should not automatically lead to his government risking relations with the US for the sake of Canadian sensibilities. The British were in a position to push through virtually any deal regardless of what the Canadians thought, in fact they almost did.

As I'd always written it before, there was nothing ITTL to in anyway link this altered Treaty of Washington back to the PoD. There is a link; a logical, rational, internally consistent link even. I'd just never put it in. Initially due my concerns about word count, mostly forgetfulness since. It was hidden in what I call my design notes. A jumble of almost unintelligible jottings only I can decypher. Some of which are literal notes, written on paper, even occasionally the backs of envelopes, café napkins and the like. But it has always niggled me it wasn't there when I read the TL back to myself. There was just nothing for me to grab on to and suspend my disbelief. It's what I'd call lazy or bad writing if I saw it from somebody else.

So, with @durante having reminded me about it (and I am very grateful they did), I've finally bitten the bullet and substantially rewritten it to include something to grab on to, hopefully making a little better writing.

January 1871: The British and US government agree to attempt to settle a number of outstanding grievances over fishing rights, the Canadian border and outstanding issues from the American Civil War. A joint commission is established to resolve these disputes, meeting in Washington. The British delegation is headed by Colonial Secretary Forster and includes Canadian Prime Minister John MacDonald, recognising Canada's status a partner rather than colony. The US delegation is headed by Secretary of State Hamilton Fish. However the bulk of the commission consists of respected Jurists from Britain and The US. The negotiations initially proceed well, but become deadlocked over the US claims for damage over the Confederate raider Alabama, built in Britain and Canadian demands for compensation due to the post Civil War Fenian Raids launched from the US in 1866 and new raids currently ongoing. Fish is adamant the raids should not be included in any settlement. However Forster, mindful of Canadian sensibilities due to his belief in an Imperial Federation, refuses to discuss the Alabama Claims unless the Fenian Raids are also Included.

May 1871: After tense and difficult negotiations, the Treaty of Washington is signed settling many of the disputes between Britain, Canada and the US. Most matters have been settled easily. A joint US Canadian Fisheries Commission is to be established to regulate the Halifax fisheries and the US will make an annual payment of $500,000 directly to Canada for twenty years, in return US vessels will be granted access to Canadian waters. The Vancouver border dispute is to be sent for arbitration. Despite this apparent goodwill, the issues of the Alabama Claims and Fenian Raids proved far more difficult to resolve. Eventually, while admitting no liability, the US agrees to pay the Canadian government $2,000,000 as “assistance” in repairing the damage done in the Raids and act to prevent its citizen participating in any future such raids. In return the British agree to also send the Alabama Claims for arbitration. The initial proposal for Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany as arbiter is rejected by the British due to the possibility of hostility generated by Gladstone's statement regarding Alsace-Lorraine in the wake of the Franco-Prussian War. King Christian IX of Denmark is selected as an alternative. Canadian public opposition to the Treaty is high due to US access to their fishing grounds and the token level of compensation for the Fenian Raids. However, it is assuaged to a large degree by a supposedly unrelated British loan to finance the construction of a Trans-Canadian railway. Despite disquiet, the otherwise generally favourable outcome of the Treaty does much to strengthen pro Imperial feeling in Canada.

October 1872: The arbitration tribunal of Swedish, Swiss, and Chilean jurists established by King Christian of Denmark after the Treaty of Washington releases it decisions. Regarding the Alabama Claims it finds by at two to one majority Britain was in error regarding international law covering the conduct of neutrals when it failed to prevent the delivery of the Alabama, due to the fact the US had presented evidence it was probably destined for the Confederacy. As a result they award the US $15,5000,000 in damages. Against this, the British are awarded $2,000,000 damages for illegal blockade practices during the Civil War. While neither side is required to “apologise,” both choose to express “regret.” On the matter of the San Juan border dispute, the tribunal finds in favour of the Canadians, establishing the Rosario Strait as the border. This immediately raises concerns in the US regarding Seattle's access to the sea, leading to their ambassador in Britain, Robert Schenk, raising the matter with Lord Granville, British Foreign Secretary. Lord Granville defers the matter until he has consulted with Canadian Prime Minister, John MacDonald. MacDonald clearly states his very strong opinion that any course of action other than guaranteeing the US unrestricted access to the seaway would be an extremely grave mistake. The matter is initially settle by an exchange of notes between the three governments, but the agreement will be formalised in the Treaty of Ottawa the next year which additionally permanently demilitarises the San Juan Islands.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
I've always held that any alternate history should be logical, rational, it short it should be believable
I certainly enjoy a story that manages to be convincing, and I think yours does.
I will say that I can also enjoy ABS timelines if they are well written or at least entertaining. I think there is room for all sorts of subgenres, and yours is a good example of meticulous plausibility

I certainly enjoy a story that manages to be convincing, and I think yours does.
I will say that I can also enjoy ABS timelines if they are well written or at least entertaining. I think there is room for all sorts of subgenres, and yours is a good example of meticulous plausibility

Thank you so very much. I also enjoy a good ASB TL. In fact some the best and most "believable" ones I've seen have been ASB. You have huge initial bump to get over. But a good writer can use that to get the TL pretty almost were they want it to go straight off. No need to use much slight of hand to hide what you're doing after that.