This is genius right here. It's so simple, yet manages to be emblematic of the past and present, carrying the colors of the EU and old Austria as well as old France and Old Germany. Job well done, sir, job well done.
I love these sorts of flags, the flag of the Union (the UK+Prussia+Hanover) from Clive-Less World is another in that vein.

union_flag.png

This is genius right here. It's so simple, yet manages to be emblematic of the past and present, carrying the colors of the EU and old Austria as well as old France and Old Germany. Job well done, sir, job well done.
Thanks!

It was partially inspired by this Peter Turchin blog post. He uses some social science to suggest that the whole EU is too varied in values and interests, and has no shared identity, and is therefore doomed, but the core Inner Six forms a coherent bloc from the time of Charlemagne to the foundation of the EU.
Then, I considered the popular suggestion that Brexit helped the cause of European integration, because they no longer have to compromise with a bugbear who always wants exceptions and concessions. If the rest of the EU also fizzles out, then "Core Europe" can go all the way to federation unimpeded.
But the typical names like "European Federation" and "United States of Europe" run into the same original problem as the EU, they're boring bureaucratic labels that don't inspire any coherent identity. Boom! The idea of Carolingia was born.

In a world where the Fertile Crescent plan succeeded as a result of the Iraqi Monarchy lasting longer, Mandatory Syria and the Hashemite Kingdoms of Transjordan and Iraq merge together. A new regional power is born known as the Federation of Arab Kingdoms. The flag was initially just a green-white-black tricolor, but after the 1952 Egyptian Revolution the FAK adopted an Austria-Hungary style division, with one half being the Arab liberation flag. The 7-pointed star is taken from the flag of Jordan, the 5-pointed star from Syria's flag, and the 8-pointed star represents a simplified Star of Ishtar, a symbol of Iraq.

Jordan-Iraq-Syria (1-2) (2).png

State Flag (proportions 1:2)

Jordan-Iraq-Syria (2-3) (1).png

National Flag and Ensign (Proportions 2:3)

In a world where the Fertile Crescent plan succeeded as a result of the Iraqi Monarchy lasting longer, Mandatory Syria and the Hashemite Kingdoms of Transjordan and Iraq merge together. A new regional power is born known as the Federation of Arab Kingdoms. The flag was initially just a green-white-black tricolor, but after the 1952 Egyptian Revolution the FAK adopted an Austria-Hungary style division, with one half being the Arab liberation flag. The 7-pointed star is taken from the flag of Jordan, the 5-pointed star from Syria's flag, and the 8-pointed star represents a simplified Star of Ishtar, a symbol of Iraq.

View attachment 741319
State Flag (proportions 1:2)

View attachment 741320
National Flag and Ensign (Proportions 2:3)

This is really great. I am a fan of the Hashemites so this Federation of Arab Kingdoms is pretty great and what the region would look like over the years.

I wanted to redesign the Chinese flag, which led to to redesigning the Vietnamese flag instead. The Empire of Vietnam was a puppet state set up by Japan during WW2, which was able to control the majority of the area now comprising Modern Vietnam. Though it was a puppet state, it had a comparatively high amount of autonomy. It's leaders were Vietnamese collaborators who saw Japan as a way to help unify Dai Nam (Great South) An Nam (Peaceful South, Central Vietnam) and Dai Viet (Great North). The Empire implemented several liberal education reforms over its short lifespan, which was reduced by Japan losing the war and the Viet Minh rebels. However, for anyone creating a Japanese victory/honorable peace timeline, feel free to use this flag.

The original Empire of Vietnam flag was a simple Yellow-Red-Yellow Spanish Fess. I wanted to make something more distinctive, so I leaned towards a coat of arms-centered design. The fact that the emblem is in the center (and roughly circular), and the general structure of the flag is a subtle homage to Japan's flag. The two dragons (which are Vietnamese, not Qing dragons) support an Escutcheon carrying the colors of the original flag in a Pale. All official documents and passports would carry this seal.

Empire of Vietnam post-1945 (2).png

State Flag

Empire of Vietnam Redesign (12).png

Civil Ensign

Last edited:
PKD3.png

The Independent Republic of Oranbega is a former component of the United States in the King in Yellow version of The Man in the High Castle made up of New England, New York and New Jersey. HP Lovecraft gets assassinated in 1932 instead of Huey Long and with an isolationist US the weaker Fascist sphere allies with the Comintern instead of the Entente in the Second Clash of Civilizations. Under William Dudley Pelley the US is... a bit of a mess, to be honest, with roiling areas of discontent, a state-sized concentration camp and an entire archipelago of treaty ports enforced by the dominant powers— lumping Oranbega with the states caught up in insurgencies or defacto given autonomy the US only has real concrete control of 3/4 of the lower 48.

Last edited:
Masterknife7 asked me to make him a flag for the Kingdom of Dacia, an affiliated state of Russia if Catherine's Greek Plan succeeded. This plan was to divvy up the European territories of the Ottoman Empire between the Austrian Hapsburgs and the Russian Empire. Austria would get Bosnia, Serbia, and the rest of Croatia, while Russia would get Wallachia, Moldavia, Macedonia, Rumelia and most of Greece. Catherine intended to form two states subservient to the Russian Empire--the Kingdom of Dacia, composed of Wallachia and Moldavia, and a reformed Eastern Roman Empire that would get Constantinople, Rumelia, and Macedonia. Obviously, if Catherine's plan succeeded Russia would become the dominant power in Europe, but it was probably a fantasy on her part. Even in Ottoman hands, Constantinople would probably be impossible to take.

For the Kingdom of Dacia, officially known as the United Kingdom of Wallachia and Moldavia, I made a flag that combined the color schemes of both regions, blue and red, and then added some fesses and checkerboarded them to help blend the colors together. The Bull is a traditonal symbol of Moldavia, and the Crow and Cross are a traditional symbol of Wallachia. I also made a flag for the Neo-Byzantine Empire for Masterknife, but I'm not especially proud of it.

United Kingdom of Wallachia and Moldavia (3).png

Last edited:
I wanted to redesign the Chinese flag, which led to to redesigning the Vietnamese flag instead. The Empire of Vietnam was a puppet state set up by Japan during WW2, which was able to control the majority of the area now comprising Modern Vietnam. Though it was a puppet state, it had a comparatively high amount of autonomy. It's leaders were Vietnamese collaborators who saw Japan as a way to help unify Dai Nam (Great South) An Nam (Peaceful South, Central Vietnam) and Dai Viet (Great North). The Empire implemented several liberal education reforms over its short lifespan, which was reduced by Japan losing the war and the Viet Minh rebels. However, for anyone creating a Japanese victory/honorable peace timeline, feel free to use this flag.

The original Empire of Vietnam flag was a simple Yellow-Red-Yellow Spanish Fess. I wanted to make something more distinctive, so I leaned towards a coat of arms-centered design.
Very good, maybe you'll do other flags for Co-Prosperity sphere in the future?

Dude, I actually just joined here, and I've read (parts) of your Alt-Hist. I'm astounded. It's AMAZING, so incredibly detailed, and, as other commenters said, very realistic. You've got photos, newspapers, and maps. And somehow, you've found a way to make Libya super interesting. This could like, really happen. You have opened my eyes as to what Alternate History can be. Oh, and the flag. I definitely think it fits in with the austere colors used in most radical Islamist movements, but using the color dark gray is cool because I can't think of any flags that use it. The Kufic-Script Emblem is certainly unique, but its highly angular geometry, it's dark color, and the fact that it's inside a white circle, definitely gives me nazi party vibes. Overall though I really like it! It looks a lot more official than the current IS flag, the one with the really smudgy Arabic.

Thanks, my dude!

Sorry if I didn't answer this a long time ago, but I wrote this so you won't leave yourself hanging. I try to make the setting as interesting as possible, especially since Libya isn't a country where you can come up with interesting factions in comparison to Russia. Hopefully, I did a good job on that because made efforts to make it as intriguing as possible.

Thanks, my dude!

Sorry if I didn't answer this a long time ago, but I wrote this so you won't leave yourself hanging. I try to make the setting as interesting as possible, especially since Libya isn't a country where you can come up with interesting factions in comparison to Russia. Hopefully, I did a good job on that because made efforts to make it as intriguing as possible.
I would say you manage to very well come up with interesting factions, as well as ideal maps and overviews to go with the whole story, I tip my hat to you sir.

Here is a flag of a post-1945, Japanese Victory Burma (now known as Myanmar). In OTL, Burma was a Puppet State of Japan that was kept on a short leash due to it's presence on the front lines of the South-East Asian Front.

The cogwheel by itself symbolizes industry: but together with the ring it makes both a stylized carriage wheel (to symbolize the agricultural sector of Burma), and a stylized Wheel of the Law (Dharma), representing the religious aspect of Burmese society. In the very center of the flag lies Japan's Rising Sun, a symbol of gratitude for Japan's liberation of Burma from foreign domination, and of Burma's willingness to cooperate with Japan and the other Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere states. The State Flag contains the Green Peacock, a traditional symbol of the Burmese government (it was the symbol of several dynasties before the State of Burma). Feel free to use for your Japanese Victory/Alternate Peace timelines!

Nat. Flag of the State of Burma (1).png

Civil Ensign and National Flag

State Flag of the State of Burma (1).png

State Flag

Last edited:
I'd love to see your take on a Bengal flag. I'm working on a coprosperity sphere timeline and I've been having trouble brainstorming an alternate Bengal flag.
I will do that next, PolishMagnet. I actually tried to design a Bengal flag before the Burma one, but after a long struggle I can agree with you that redesigning a Co-Prosperity Bengal flag is hard. It's unfortunate that the Bengalese color scheme is so...dull, shall we say.

I will do that next, PolishMagnet. I actually tried to design a Bengal flag before the Burma one, but after a long struggle I can agree with you that redesigning a Co-Prosperity Bengal flag is hard. It's unfortunate that the Bengalese color scheme is so...dull, shall we say.
You could use colours from the government seal, which is what I was gonna do. Red and gold.

Just to help you avoid painting yourself into a corner, as it were, it's important to remember that Bangladesh ≠ Bengal. Bangladesh is only a part of Bengal so its flag isn't the only OTL thing you can draw on for Bengali flags. Even more so, the earliest version of the OTL Bangladeshi flag only dates from 1970.

The Indian state of West Bengal doesn't really offer much, it's only got a seal (no flag). But the Nawabs of Bengal had their own flag, as did the fully independent pre-Mughal Bengal Sultanate. Colourwise they're both just red and white, but they'd give historical grounds for adding white to the mix and escaping the eye-jarring red-on-green.

The cogwheel by itself symbolizes industry: but together with the ring it makes both a stylized carriage wheel (to symbolize the agricultural sector of Burma), and a stylized Wheel of the Law (Dharma), representing the religious aspect of Burmese society. In the very center of the flag lies Japan's Rising Sun, a symbol of gratitude for Japan's liberation of Burma from foreign domination, and of Burma's willingness to cooperate with Japan and the other Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere states. The State Flag contains the Green Peacock, a traditional symbol of the Burmese government (it was the symbol of several dynasties before the State of Burma). Feel free to use for your Japanese Victory/Alternate Peace timelines!
Cool