"To Introduce our Guest Star, that's What I'm Here to Do..." The Hensonverse Fan Contribution Thread

Keys to the Asylum
Hi-ho and Welcome Again to yet another Thread in the ever-expanding Madhouse that is the AH-dot-com Hensonverse. By Reader Request here is a Guest Contribution Thread. This is the place where works that go beyond the scope of the Jim Henson at Disney saga that began with A Hippie in the House of Mouse and continues with When you Wish Upon a Frog can be posted and shared. Some of this will be canonical, some may not, I'll try to let you know.

media%2FFAbaZmcVUAQ2wVV.jpg%3Fname%3Dsmall

(Image source Nitter.net)

So, do you have a favorite film or TV show that didn't get the attention in the main Timeline that you think that it deserved? Were you hoping for a detailed deep dive into Pee Wee's Playhouse or wondered why that one obscure forgotten show that you grew up with didn't get a mention? Are you wondering what Troma Studios is up to? Well, here's your chance.

590011419-tumblr_n1hsxdMALa1qhcorfo1_400.gif

(Image source QuotesGram)

But there are a few simple rules and disclaimers first:
  1. I and I alone determine what is canonical; I may ask for edits
  2. Do not "get ahead" of the main TL (e.g. don't post 2005 things when the main TL is in 1997)
  3. Try to align to Hensonverse Canon and try not to openly conflict with Canon
  4. Be civil and respectful to each other (and to me too, please!)
  5. Also be civil and respectful to real-world people (e.g. no "bashing" of real life people no matter your opinion of them)
Otherwise, it's Empty Stage, Open Mike, Keys to the Asylum time.

I'll just take a seat here and enjoy the show, and provide occasional learned commentary.

muppets-muppet.gif

(Image source Tenor)

Deleted member 165942

I'll probably try to write something when we get to 1996-1999, because I want to work on something about Kinoko Nasu, and Nasu would just be a fresh college graduate where the timeline currently is at. I kinda want to change his career so he'll stay as just a writer for LNs and some VNs, I just think Nasu with a humbler life is something interesting to write about. Unfortunately 1996 is the earliest I can write about him.

If I had the talent to write about it LEGO would be my topic of choice i had so many memories of them, even better as my favorite series Bionicle is right around the corner maybe someone else will write about it

If I had the talent to write about it LEGO would be my topic of choice i had so many memories of them, even better as my favorite series Bionicle is right around the corner maybe someone else will write about it
Make them less skinny and more buff.

I'll have to recheck but I wouldn't mind throwing my hat into the ring! Obviously I'll go back and re-read the whole thing, but Columbo is the first thing to spring to mind.

(Just so we're clear here, how far does being civil and respectful go here? I understand obviously that making violent threats towards George H.W Bush is wrong, but would bringing up the sexual misconduct scandal that you used as one of the reasons he lost in the 1992 election be fine? Again, I just want to fix all this in my head.)

Last edited:
I'll have to recheck but I wouldn't mind throwing my hat into the ring! Obviously I'll go back and re-read the whole thing, but Columbo is the first thing to spring to mind.

(Just so we're clear here, how far does being civil and respectful go here? I understand obviously that making violent threats towards George H.W Bush is wrong, but would bringing up the sexual misconduct scandal that you used as one of the reasons he lost in the 1992 election be fine? Again, I just want to fix all this in my head.)
Feel free to present misdeeds and even call people out for them. Look at how I address them in my posts. If a character is giving their strong opinion (Bernie never holds back!) that's fine, artistic license. Their opinions. Mostly I just don't want to see "10 reasons why Michael Eisner is a Stupid Sack of Shit" or whatever.

The most important thing is really humanizing rather than villainizing people.

Top Five Most Underrated Sitcoms of 1989
From Five Alive! Netsite
1989 was both the literal and figurative end of the 80's, with all the signatures of it already on the way out. But nevertheless, the domestics and the high-concept workcoms that made up the majority of SITCOMS of the decade still had their time. We at Five Alive feel are thus gonna countdown what we think are The Five Underrated SITCOMS of 1989:

#5 - Draco-Force (1989-1990)
First off, let's make something clear: we're not talking about the cartoon about robot dragons, we're talking about the NBC SITCOM about the making of it, reportedly pitched as "WKRP at Disney". Set at a Sunbow-esque cartoon studio, it follows the daily lives of the crew producing and animating it and voicing the characters, and dealing with the hassles of the industry: overly tight deadlines and subsequent crunch time, busybody parental groups, and meddling execs as personified by hammy Louis Tarlton (played by Chris Latta). The series was created by alumni of Sunbow themselves, and features many voice actors, writers, and other staff of the industry as themselves (Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Susan Blu, and J. Michael Strykansi are just some of them), and many praised it for the frank and accurate depictions of the animation industry. The fun of the series comes from the character interactions between the crew and cast, from Mark Metcalf as the jaded, sarcastic veteran scriptwriter Ben Halloway (played by Mark Metcalf being the opposite of Neidermeyer) to Canadian diva voice actor Molly Barlowe to naive newcomer sound technician George. For the better or worse, Draco-Force was later made into an actual show that lampooned the cliches and style of merch-driven Saturday morning cartoons (even using footage from the SITCOM) and would be way more successful and overshadowed the SITCOM. Real shame, as Draco-Force SITCOM is quite the sharp cult classic worth checking out.

(We will return after a commercial break)

This is something I pitched to Geekhis around the 1989 point. Didn't make the cut, apparently, but I still feel it can be slotted in with minimal alteration.

EDIT: AS of May 8, the entries within will be separate entirely. Sorry if that's a bit skeevy a choice.

Last edited:
I'm really glad that this thread is a thing.

Now, if I may ask, could more be said about Saturday Mornings?

I mean, we have the likes of NBC Jr., the Paramount-Fox Network(PFN), CBS having the Hanna-Barbera and Columbia Pictures library at its disposal, and potentially other changes that I'm intrigued to see more of.

From Five Alive! Netsite
1989 was both the literal and figurative end of the 80's, with all the signatures of it already on the way out. But nevertheless, the domestics and the high-concept workcoms that made up the majority of SITCOMS of the decade still had their time. We at Five Alive feel are thus gonna countdown what we think are The Five Underrated SITCOMS of 1989:

First off, let's make something clear: we're not talking about the cartoon about robot dragons, we're talking about the NBC SITCOM about the making of it, reportedly pitched as "WKRP at Disney". Set at a Sunbow-esque cartoon studio, it follows the daily lives of the crew producing and animating it and voicing the characters, and dealing with the hassles of the industry: overly tight deadlines and subsequent crunch time, busybody parental groups, and meddling execs as personified by hammy Louis Tarlton (played by Chris Latta). The series was created by alumni of Sunbow themselves, and features many voice actors, writers, and other staff of the industry as themselves (Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Susan Blu, and J. Michael Strykansi are just some of them), and many praised it for the frank and accurate depictions of the animation industry. The fun of the series comes from the character interactions between the crew and cast, from Mark Metcalf as the jaded, sarcastic veteran scriptwriter Ben Halloway (played by Mark Metcalf being the opposite of Neidermeyer) to Canadian diva voice actor Molly Barlowe to naive newcomer sound technician George. For the better or worse, Draco-Force was later made into an actual show that lampooned the cliches and style of merch-driven Saturday morning cartoons (even using footage from the SITCOM) and would be way more successful and overshadowed the SITCOM. Real shame, as Draco-Force SITCOM is quite the sharp cult classic worth checking out.

This is something I pitched to Geekhis around the 1989 point. Didn't make the cut, apparently, but I still feel it can be slotted in with minimal alteration.
Oh, now THIS is a good premise! A sitcom lampooning the problems of working in animation would have been something I ate up, licked the plate, and asked for seconds.

Can you make it so that it doesn't become a soulless cooperation?

Like what Geekhis did for Disney.
Mostly I just don't want to see "10 reasons why Michael Eisner is a Stupid Sack of Shit"
What if I write it from the perspective of Jeffrey Katzenberg?

Oh, now THIS is a good premise! A sitcom lampooning the problems of working in animation would have been something I ate up, licked the plate, and asked for seconds.
Thanks. Although honestly I'm still having trouble with the rest of the cast. Any ideas that don't conflict with canon continuity? I decided to add Adam Sandler as George off the top of my head, but I'm not sure of it.

From Five Alive! Netsite

Probably lost in the replies since I don't remember ever seeing this one, which is a shame because I love the idea. But this is a great place for it if you (and others) can fill out the other 4.

LOL sure. Hell, how about a couple of dueling articles between Eis and Katz?

Probably lost in the replies since I don't remember ever seeing this one, which is a shame because I love the idea. But this is a great place for it if you (and others) can fill out the other 4.
I honestly didn't plan for such a thing. It was always just going to be Draco-Force (sorry if that's wrong to do). Anyone is welcome to put any of them there, however.
LOL sure. Hell, how about a couple of dueling articles between Eis and Katz?
An interview with Jeffery that gets out of hand, perhaps?

I might do something involving the first couple of Warcraft real-time strategy games, since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was released in 1994.

I might do something involving the first couple of Warcraft real-time strategy games, since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was released in 1994.
Go for it. Starcraft cost me a letter grade my freshman year of college. "I'll study after just one more game. For Ayur!!!"

Oh, this looks fun.

Hmm. I've got some ideas for fleshing out the NPH Doctor Who run that I chickened out of PMing Geekis about, somewhere...