The Nazi Emblem was just the swastika, a Buddhist Symbol, rotated 45 degrees to turn into the nazi emblem. The Symbol of Peace turned into the Symbol of War. It has nothing to do with Christianity/Judaism.
You are correct. I'm sorry, I was thinking of a description of a symbol I heard in a book one time about a missionary living in Nazi Germany, who described it as a sort of "Broken Cross." He was probably describing the effect that the Nazi party had on the church. Though my point still stands--Germans have long used old symbols for new purposes, and I don't see a reason why Polish couldn't use the Wheel of Mainz (or a wheel of Mainz-like symbol) in his flag, especially since the symbol goes with his theme.

Last edited:
So, recently, I've become quite obsessed with Iranian history, and middle eastern history in general. I saw that Iran had very few redesigns, and even fewer good ones had been made of the flag (though they are out there, check them out!). And I made a new flag for Iran. Well, I actually made several, and none of them were very good. Iran's current flag may be overlayed with dubious Islamic imagery (26X God is great, 1x God), but it's filled with history. How was I to design a flag that would carry meaning and significance to people who have lived under the green, white, and red since the time of the Qajar?

Instead of trying to focus on those colors, as many redesigns have, I focused instead on Iran's ethnic groups, who have had as much involvement in Iran's history as actual Persians have. Native Persians though often quite strong and powerful, were only in control of approximately 1 out of every 2 dynasties. The Khorasanis, Seljuk Turks and Arabs each had their sway over the land of the Zagros, along with a few others. And even today, in this time of great oppression and sadness for the Iranian people, plenty of Azeris (16%), Kurds (10%), Gilaks and Mazandaris (7%), Lurs (6%), Turks (2%), Arabs (2%), and Balochis (2%) live in Iran, as their ancestors did for perhaps thousands of years. Persians, incredibly, only make up about 54% of their country. To reflect the ethnic diversity of Iran, I decided to switch to the native colors of their people--the blue on the Azerbaijani flag for ...Azerbaijanis, and also the Turkic and Baloch people in Iran, for whom blue is also an ethnic color, Yellow from the Kurdish flag for the Kurds and Lurs, Red from the Iranian Tricolor flag for the Persians (who debatably include the Gilaks and Mazandaris), and finally Black for the Arabs, who, while they only make up 2% of the population, are a large minority in the important Khuzestan Province near the Persian Gulf. Sorry Saudi Arabians.

Furthermore, These colors also represent the landscape and resources of Iran:
Blue for the Persian Gulf, the Caspian Sea, and Iran’s Sky.
Yellow for agriculture and the deserts of Iran.
Red for Sumac (a very, very popular spice in Iran) and the blood-red Sand of Hormuz Island.
And Black, for the immense underground resources present in Iran (oil).

The 31-rayed sun in the center stands for the 31 Provinces of Iran. It is white to stand for the other races of Iran not represented by the first four stripes and stands for the unity and solidarity of all the peoples in Iran to build a unified state. It's also an allusion to Zoroastrianism.

This flag was also inspired by The Republic of China's "Five Races Under One Union" Flag, which is my favorite historical flag, ever.
I'm not Iranian, obviously. However, if there are any Iranians here, I would appreciate it if you gave your opinion of the flag.

As for the alternate history aspect of this flag? I don't really have an idea. There wasn't a lot of pro-minority sentiment to my knowledge during the Mossadegh era and there certainly is not now. However, if you guys have any interesting ideas for an Iranian alternate history...wait a second. What if during WWII, when the allies occupied Iran and replaced Reza Shah Pahlavi with a completely different government, and used this flag in the same fashion as the U.S. when it tried to replace the Iraqi flag with this from 2003-2004(there is a link on "this"). Oh well that's probably not that good of an idea. Anyways. If you want to use this flag for any of your Iranian Alt-hists, feel free. Though credit me.

Iran Five Races Under One Union  (4).png

Last edited:
Cuy7Qef.png

Second version of my "Christian Fatherland Party" (in German, CVP) flag. Again, the black lozenge design is meant to resemble soldiers marching in formation, while the central symbol is the IX monogram representing "IESVS XRYSTOS" (JESUS CHRIST). The CVP is a right-wing militia in an alternate post-WW1 Germany.

I removed the wheel component of the monogram and flared the edges of the bars to make it resemble the Iron Cross a bit more. I'm happy with this one! Thanks to everyone for input.

View attachment 738356
Flag for the Allied States of America. Don't know the place? Check out the thread "The Great War of 2050 and Beyond" in Future History, or in my signature.
So to explain the flag.
Upper Hoist Corner is Blue with 4 stars, each star representing a branch of government. (The Allied States of America is more of an alliance between states, with a more federal government headquartered in Boise, Idaho. The 4 branches are Executive, Legislative, Judicial, and Residential.)
Red - Blood of those who fought for the country
Purple - Prosperity
Blue - Liberty

So to explain the flag.
Upper Hoist Corner is Blue with 4 stars, each star representing a branch of government. (The Allied States of America is more of an alliance between states, with a more federal government headquartered in Boise, Idaho. The 4 branches are Executive, Legislative, Judicial, and Residential.)
Red - Blood of those who fought for the country
Purple - Prosperity
Blue - Liberty
Out of curiosity, why are the proportions so square-like? It reminds me of Belgium's flag, not in colors, but in proportions (they have 13:15). Also, you may want to avoid the color purple. It is a traditional symbol of royalty around the world, even to this day (which is why very few flags have purple on them). But maybe your country has a king or emperor (is it the "Residential" Branch of your government?), in which case, your flag is totally good.

I definitely appreciate the emphasis on fewer stars, it makes the flag seem more focused.

Edit: The Republic of Spain had a purple stripe on the bottom that did not represent royalty directly, but instead the Kingdom of Castille and Leon, so you could also go for purple with good credibility--As long as it represents something that purple stands for historically.

Also, you may want to try a better flag editor. The image you've got looks grainy, especially on the stars--I recommend: https://tennessine.co.uk/flags/, or if you want a less complex one, http://flagmakerjr.stg7.net/

Last edited:
The Rashidi Reformation

ISIL-Flag_Teaser-02.png

The Islamic State Flag after the Convene of Sirte, commissioned by Caliph Al-Rashidi during structural reorganization.

During their re-establishment in Sirte and the preceding spillover of the Scourge of Tripoli, the remnants of the Islamic State once faced significant challenges preventing the legitimizing of their regime. Their ill reputation surmounted under Abu Nabil al-Anbari's governorship during the Second Libyan Civil War and the brain drain crippling the country made the functions of the day-to-day administrations and their ambitions to implement their interpretation of the sharia difficult. Worsened by the fact that those who joined the Al-Ainsihab are merely composed of Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi's trusted retinues, the lack the skilled administrators gives the impression to many observers that the Daesh will eventually devolve into a bandit state, with its branches withering away to impose their own agendas.

So it was somewhat surprising that nearing his bilious death, he appointed Al-Rashidi out of all his veteran confidants to lead the embittered and distraught remnants. Despite being Al-Baghdadi's personal secretary since 2017, who merely deals with the management of household duties, the new caliph convened a review of their history and the pitfalls leading to their downfall in West Asia (formerly known as the Middle East). Eventually, the conclusion provided him with the proper context needed to reorganize the Islamic State, paving the way for what Dimitry Vasily termed the Rashidi Reformation [1].

[Click on here to read the full text...]

Out of curiosity, 1. why are the proportions so square-like? It reminds me of Belgium's flag, not in colors, but in proportions (they have 13:15). 2. Also, you may want to avoid the color purple. It is a traditional symbol of royalty around the world, even to this day (which is why very few flags have purple on them). 3. But maybe your country has a king or emperor (is it the "Residential" Branch of your government?), in which case, your flag is totally good.

4. I definitely appreciate the emphasis on fewer stars, it makes the flag seem more focused.

Edit: The Republic of Spain had a purple stripe on the bottom that did not represent royalty directly, but instead the Kingdom of Castille and Leon, so you could also go for purple with good credibility
1: I made the proportions like that.
2. Purple was a symbol of royalty because purple dye was very expensive, and if a country was prosperous, they could afford more expensive things, therefore purple is a symbol of prosperity.
3. The ASA is more of an alliance, but there is a main federal government. The Residential Branch is essentially full of the representatives for their home states. Essentially ambassadors, not senators.
4. Thank you!

The Rashidi Reformation

ISIL-Flag_Teaser-02.png

The Islamic State Flag after the Convene of Sirte, commissioned by Caliph Al-Rashidi during structural reorganization.

During their re-establishment in Sirte and the preceding spillover of the Scourge of Tripoli, the remnants of the Islamic State once faced significant challenges preventing the legitimizing of their regime. Their ill reputation surmounted under Abu Nabil al-Anbari's governorship during the Second Libyan Civil War and the brain drain crippling the country made the functions of the day-to-day administrations and their ambitions to implement their interpretation of the sharia difficult. Worsened by the fact that those who joined the Al-Ainsihab are merely composed of Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi's trusted retinues, the lack the skilled administrators gives the impression to many observers that the Daesh will eventually devolve into a bandit state, with its branches withering away to impose their own agendas.

So it was somewhat surprising that nearing his bilious death, he appointed Al-Rashidi out of all his veteran confidants to lead the embittered and distraught remnants. Despite being Al-Baghdadi's personal secretary since 2017, who merely deals with the management of household duties, the new caliph convened a review of their history and the pitfalls leading to their downfall in West Asia (formerly known as the Middle East). Eventually, the conclusion provided him with the proper context needed to reorganize the Islamic State, paving the way for what Dimitry Vasily termed the Rashidi Reformation [1].

[Click on here to read the full text...]
Dude, I actually just joined here, and I've read (parts) of your Alt-Hist. I'm astounded. It's AMAZING, so incredibly detailed, and, as other commenters said, very realistic. You've got photos, newspapers, and maps. And somehow, you've found a way to make Libya super interesting. This could like, really happen. You have opened my eyes as to what Alternate History can be. Oh, and the flag. I definitely think it fits in with the austere colors used in most radical Islamist movements, but using the color dark gray is cool because I can't think of any flags that use it. The Kufic-Script Emblem is certainly unique, but its highly angular geometry, it's dark color, and the fact that it's inside a white circle, definitely gives me nazi party vibes. Overall though I really like it! It looks a lot more official than the current IS flag, the one with the really smudgy Arabic.

A few people know about the three unsuccessful state mergers in South and Central America--Gran Columbia, spearheaded by Simon Bolivar, the United Provinces of Central America, which was the most successful of the three, and, finally, the Peru-Bolivia(n) Confederation, a state merger that lasted a combined 3 years, from 1836-1839. This state was headed by Marshal Andrés de Santa Cruz, and by the time of its dissolution, it was headed towards a dictatorship. Its short run ended with the battle of Yungay, won by the Chileans, who were propelled into the war by fear of this new, and potentially quite a powerful state, and also by the assassination of Diego Portales, in which Santa Cruz was suspected to be involved, when in fact he was not. However, in this alternate history, the Chileans do not go to war with Peru-Bolivia--there are four reasons for this:

1. Peru-Bolivia and Marshal Santa Cruz were recognized by all major European powers, along with the United States.
2. The assassination of Portales never happens because the man responsible is killed in the Chilean War of Independence as a Private (this is the official point of divergence)
3. The general public of Chile did not support a war with Peru-Bolivia before the assassination of Portales--the 1829-1830 Civil war was still fresh in everyone's minds. In regular history, Portales became the martyr the Chilean government needed to justify a war with a much larger state.
4. Santa Cruz had just defeated a large Argentinian force at the Battle of Montenegro in 1838, which would discourage Chile from trying to invade.

The consequences of Peru-Bolivia becoming established are myriad in South America. Portales, an influential statesman in Chile, would remain a bitter opponent of the Confederation for the rest of his life--he saw it as tipping the balance of power in South America. Nevertheless, Portales was a sort of Talleyrand of Chile, an actor behind the scenes, and was greatly hated by the population during his life. There was great opposition to his pro-centralization and conservative policies. They would have never followed the govt.'s lead into a war, and any attempt to force it would have probably resulted in another Chilean civil war.

But Santa Cruz was not in the clear yet. While most of his country, the South Peruvian Republic and the Bolivian Republic, were very satisfied with the whole arrangement of the Confederation, North Peru was definitely not. While South Peru and Bolivia benefited hugely from the placement of the capital (Tacna), and the end of barriers to trade between the two countries, North Peruvian businessmen were left out to dry. In fact, they were so angry about the whole arrangement that they decided to defect from the Confederation and ask Chile for help with dissolving it. But they would find no allies. Argentina was still sulking from its wounds, and while many in Chile's government wanted to go to war, they felt that it wasn't worth the risk of some sort of rebellion. Already, a general had tried to overthrow the Prieto government (the coup attempt may or may not have had backing from Santa Cruz). The new Chilean government needed time to consolidate its recent policy gains, and a war wouldn't help that.

Of note is that Santa Cruz himself, like Chile's Portales, was an authoritarian who knew how to stabilize rowdy countries, as he had done in Bolivia from 1829 onwards. In 1838, he discovered a plot to overthrow him in North Peru, and conducted an extensive purge, jailing suspected enemies and executing others. While relations were already bad with Chile, they got worse when it was revealed that the conspirators were collaborating with the Chilean Government. During the period of 1836-1843, Santa Cruz built up a sizeable army, equipped with modern weaponry and well-trained, mostly to ward off any thought of a Chilean-Argentinian invasion.

Santa Cruz's domestic policies were much the same as his as the President of Bolivia in 1829--in 1840, he issued a new currency, the Bolivar, named after the man he had served under in the Latin American Wars of Independence and who both Peru and Bolivia owed their independence to. He continued to purge those who showed opposition to his vision. He reformed the public financial system, opting for a high tariff on Chilean imports. He also carried over the Bolivian Civil Code from his term as President of Bolivia, which itself was based on the Napoleonic Code. To encourage economic activity in the North Peru (and to increase his popularity there), he made the cities of Talara, Chicayo, and Chimbote Free Ports. This privelege was also extended to some ports in south Bolivia, notably Puerto La Mar (Cobija). He also did this to get the economic edge on the Chilean ports.

Meanwhile, powers around South America took notice of this bold new player on the board. Santa Cruz was now the most powerful man in all of western South America, controlling everything from the Western Amazon to the Gran Chaco. The three constituent republic's presidents were not really in a position of power, all being henchmen of Santa Cruz. Commerce and industry began to grow in Bolivia, but especially in South Peru. However, North Peru continued to grumble as its once ultra-wealthy elites in Lima continued to decline.

The international situation was quickly becoming disadvantageous to Chile. They had lost a good deal of time. They could have defeated the Confederation when it was in its infancy, but now, they were stuck scheming behind the scenes with the few remaining North Peruvian Rebels. In order to check the power of the Confederation, they would need to develop a network of alliances, starting with their old friends, the Argentinians. Meanwhile, Brazil was busy having internal conflicts and was a relatively new nation at the time, so it had very little influence on what was going on in Western South America.

That is how my alternate history, tentatively called "The Continuation of the Confederation," Begins. Also, I thought the original flag of the Peru-Bolivian Confederation was a bit lazy. It just combined the coat of arms of the three states in a sort of wreath. So I redesigned it. The red sky represents Northern Peru, for whom red is an important color on their flag. The Sun is a simplification of the Sol de Mayo of South Peru, while the green mountain represents the mountain seen in the old Bolivian Coat of Arms. The yellow strip represents the Atacama desert, shared by North and South Peru, and the white represents the Salar de Uyuni, one of the massive salt deserts, and a natural wonder, of Bolivia

Bolivia Redesign--Salt Flats (3).png

Last edited:
Have a flag for the Cosmicist International from my TL! A burgundy/black flag represents the ideology proper, the octopus and the geometric shape ("the Struggle") are important symbols and metaphors in it and the three slogans are epigraphs from the three sections of its founding text (The Cosmicist Manifesto: Precarity in the Cthulhucene).

Cosmintern2.png

Last edited:
I proudly present ye, the probably worst way the Union Jack could have been.
1651765625450.png

Using the Scottish Union jack, with the brighter Scottish and darker English colours, green for Wales and representing Ireland the way the Protectorate did.

Not sure if as many countries would keep the Union Jack as they did in OTL if it wasn't as pretty as the one in OTL.

1651775366197.png

Flag of Greater Indonesia
MEANING
Dark Blue -Shows the nation in Dark Blue, standing for the freedom of their citizens
Light Blue - Represents the ocean that protects the nation from exterior threats.
Red - Those who gave their lives for the country.
Thoughts and Opinions?

Don't know what Greater Indonesia is? Head to the thread "The Great War of 2050 and Beyond" and read up on it.

So, I wanted to make a flag for a Falangist Belgium. Ironic, right? The four crossed bars of different colors take influence from the Crossed Arrows, a symbol of Falangist Spain, and also from the Cross of Burgundy. They are the 3 colors of the Belgian flag, set on a field of white that is influenced by their naval standard. The lion of Belgium is without it's traditional crown to represent a transition from a kingdom to a falangist dictatorship.

wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:
7BBBE35D-8B06-411B-8B2C-33993208DCC8.png

The vexillum of the Remusian Empire, from my map game Historica: Tale of Empires.

It's based off of an actual vexillum of the Roman Empire, but with the alphabet modified. The flag has an abbreviation of "Sietanōrum Polas Qua Remusia", which is itself based off of the Roman abbreviation of "Senātum Populusque Rōmānus" (The Senate and People of Rome).

Patagonia, one of the most iconic and rugged regions in all of South America, was for a while composed of independent Mapuche tribes, left unconquered until the aptly-named Conquest of the Desert from 1870-1880. However, also during this period, an insane Frenchman showed up and proclaimed a kingdom that would help protect the Mapuches. He was promptly arrested by the Chilean Authorities. He returned to Patagonia and was promptly arrested, this time by France. He died sad, poor and alone. It's actually a pretty sad story. I thought the flag he made for his country (the Kingdom of Auracaria & Patagonia), was also pretty sad, too, so I redesigned it for some 1-in-100-quadrillion chance his kingdom somehow survived.

The flag takes its colors from his flag of Auracaria & Patagonia, but re-orders them into a representation of the natural landscape of Patagonia. White is for the glaciers and for snow on Patagonian mountaintops. Green is for the native vegetation, and the mountain is emblematic of Patagonia's rugged sierra nature. Blue is for the incredibly clear Patagonian sky (Patagonia gets very little precipitation, and thus has few clouds). Finally, the weird star thing on top of the peak of the mountain is the ethnic independence symbol of the Mapuche, who in this timeline represent a majority of the population in Patagonia rather than being nearly killed off by the Argentinians.

Patagonian Republic (10).png

Last edited:
View attachment 739212
Flag of Greater Indonesia
MEANING
Dark Blue -Shows the nation in Dark Blue, standing for the freedom of their citizens
Light Blue - Represents the ocean that protects the nation from exterior threats.
Red - Those who gave their lives for the country.
Thoughts and Opinions?

Don't know what Greater Indonesia is? Head to the thread "The Great War of 2050 and Beyond" and read up on it.
Not being an European country, it is possible to not follow heraldic rules.
However usually, non metallic colors cannot stand one over another.
So, at least the siluhette of the country, should be highlighted in Argent (aka white) or Or (aka yellow).