Crusader Kings III

It's honestly not the worst Paradox Games in that regard... For the simple reason it's still early in its life.

With all their DLCs, EUIV, HoI4, Stellaris or even CK2 are by far more expensive.

Hell, the only game that I see as cheaper compartively is Imperator Rome and that's because development for it stopped pretty early.
Thing is, you don't have to buy the Base Game and all the DLC at once. I bought the Royal Edition, but the Base Edition would be cheaper, and you can always buy the DLC the Royal Edition comes with separately. Also, if you're low on cash, wait for Paradox's occasional everything-but-the-kitchen-sink sales.
That's what I did with CK2. I bought the plain vanilla Base Game, and played the hell out of that for about a year.

You don't have to buy everything all at once.

Yeah, Paradox has plenty of sales. Typically whenever a new DLC drops the old ones go on sale, and of course the seasonal Steam sales also are a good time. Since the DLCs tend to be focused on a particular region or aspect of the game, you can just nab the stuff that's most interesting to you as you go along.

Also, if you play MP, the host is the only one who needs the DLC IIRC.

It's honestly not the worst Paradox Games in that regard... For the simple reason it's still early in its life.
For the base game plus DLC it's 92.99NZD, which is steep. On discount it only ever seems to go 20% off which is still a lot to pay in one hit.

PC games in general seem to be getting more expensive though. I was shocked that Age of Empires IV was around 100NZD as well.

You don't have to buy everything all at once.
I know. That's basically how I catch up on the DLCs of the Paradox games I own.

Thing is though, even when taking advantage of sales and not buying everything at once... That can still cost quite a bit.

I just won my first CKIII war ~ playing as Vestfold I managed to beat Hordaland into submission without too much trouble and add them to my kingdom.

However when I played as Ivar "the Boneless" I was beaten first of all by Halfdan Whiteshirt in battle [aren't the Ragnarssons meant to be on the same side?] and then there were huge Anglo ~ Saxon stacks coming up to fight me so I gave up on him; currently I'm playing the Magyars and will be fighting the Bulgarians, it seems...if I buy Horse Lords for CKII I might play as the same faction.

Is Genghis Khan in CKIII?

With all their DLCs, EUIV, HoI4, Stellaris or even CK2 are by far more expensive.

Hell, the only game that I see as cheaper compartively is Imperator Rome and that's because development for it stopped pretty early.
Imperator: Rome sorta grows on you as you play it more often.

Imperator: Rome sorta grows on you as you play it more often.
Wasn't really criticizing the game. In fact I might pick it sometime.

Was just commenting on the fact that Paradox stopped udpating it so it only has four DLCs and a Free content pack. That makes it likely the cheapest of the Paradox Grand Strategy games you can buy in full.

Compare to EUIV, HoI4 or CK2 that have dozens of DLCs and can cost you at least 100 bucks if you want to buy everything, even with a -75% discount.

The reason I brought this was because CK3 right now only has 3 DLCs (Northern Lord, Royal Court and the soon-to-be-released Fates of Iberia) so it doesn't seem that expensive to me. Though it's gonna take a while before Paradox commits to full discount sales on Steam for that game given how recent it is.

New Dev Diary relating to the announced Fates of Iberia flavor pack.

It presents a new mechanic called Struggles that should make the game more interesting. For Iberia, it's essentially meant to represent the complexity of the relations between Christians and Muslims.

Apparently the Devs are also planning to add more struggles than just Iberia in the future.

And it's also fully moddable which feels like a huge bonus.
It occurs to me that the Chinese dynastic cycle could be implemented as a Struggle if the map gets expanded to the Pacific. Have a "long united" stage where characters in the provinces have a chance to build up regional powerbases and challenge the central government, a "long divided" stage where expansion within China provides snowballing bonuses to setting up a unified administration, a stage that helps preserve a Northern and Southern Dynasties dichotomy, and perhaps others to help transition among the various state configurations.

I just want them to add some more start dates,
Not sure they will do that. I think that they have CK2 data that shows most players only picked the earliest stat dates and didn't bother about the rest.
I kinda miss the ability to pick any ruler between 1066 and 1337 we had back then though.
and make religions more customizable.
Honestly they've already made religions quite customizable, given the number of doctrines and tenets you can pick.
I do wish they would release more but what I have is mostly flavor and not really had anything gameplay-wise. Plus, there are a few mods that already add a few things.

I just want them to add some more start dates,
It might eventually happen, but considering Paradoxes own statements it’s unlikely for the foreseeable future. We certainly won’t end up with as many as CK2, especially since they’re on record as regretting Charlaman.
and make religions more customizable.
I believe this update has been confirmed to enable ‘faiths’ sharing a head which is a step in the right direction (and might allow for more regional variations).

I believe this update has been confirmed to enable ‘faiths’ sharing a head which is a step in the right direction (and might allow for more regional variations).
Shared Head of Faiths have indeed been confirmed.
The New Dev Diary that came out today confirms it in passing, though it will only be fully explained and detailed in another one.

Other new content that's said to be added with the release of Fate of Iberia:
  • Slightly reworked Iberian cultures (Castillian gain access to new Tradition Tabletop Warriors tradition, making you able to play Chess)
  • Mozarabic Christianity, that come with flavor regarding to Visigothic Spain and might allow you to restore the Kingdom of Toledo if you play your cards right.
  • Basque Paganism, listed as a dead religion among rulers but present in the common folk of the Pyreennees (so no rulers but maybe provinces?)
  • Two new dynasty legacies: Coterie (Seems to focus on dynastic politics) and Metropolitan (focuses on construction)
And the rest is mostly flavor even if it's added in a variety of fields.

It might eventually happen, but considering Paradoxes own statements it’s unlikely for the foreseeable future. We certainly won’t end up with as many as CK2, especially since they’re on record as regretting Charlaman.

I'm not saying we need a crazy number of start dates, but I would like at least one start date set in the 'High Middle Ages' so I can play the Plantagenets again. Maybe a Third Crusade start, or something like that.

I'm not saying we need a crazy number of start dates, but I would like at least one start date set in the 'High Middle Ages' so I can play the Plantagenets again. Maybe a Third Crusade start, or something like that.
Yes, the 1189 Start would be great!

For me the start dates I would want to see added are:
936 - Iron Century
1158 with the collapse of the Seljuks, kingdom of Jerusalem, Eleanor of Aquatiane, Nur al-Din, and other famous characters.
1215 - Delhi Sultanate, Mongols, first baron's war, fredrick II, John lackland
1337 - Hundred Years War and all the characters there, Teuteonic Knights, Muhammad bin Tughluq, Ibn Battuta

I also would like a 15th century date for the war of the roses and hussite wars.

I present to you 77-year old Basil II and his twin 16-year old sons. Romanos, the elder twin, is on his right. Basil, the younger twin is on his left. I used the pregnancy cheat to get Basil to have an heir with his Skleros wife before she was assassinated.

unknown.png

I present to you 77-year old Basil II and his twin 16-year old sons. Romanos, the elder twin, is on his right. Basil, the younger twin is on his left. I used the pregnancy cheat to get Basil to have an heir with his Skleros wife before she was assassinated.

unknown.png

Basil's eldest son Romanos inherited the Empire shortly after the above was taken and had to spend several years putting down a rebellion to install the Phokas dynasty back on the throne. After putting down the major rebellion, he and his wife, Princess Ana Bagratoni of Georgia, had four kids, Georgios, Maria, Anna and Konstantinos. Georgios was named after Ana's father and is betrothed to the daughter of the king of Hungary in a double engagement as Maria is betrothed to the son of the king of Hungary. Basil's younger of the twins, Basil, is Doux of Sicily and after three daughters finally had himself a son, also named Basil. They aren't pictured in Romanos's family photo.

unknown.png

Basil's eldest son Romanos inherited the Empire shortly after the above was taken and had to spend several years putting down a rebellion to install the Phokas dynasty back on the throne. After putting down the major rebellion, he and his wife, Princess Ana Bagratoni of Georgia, had four kids, Georgios, Maria, Anna and Konstantinos. Georgios was named after Ana's father and is betrothed to the daughter of the king of Hungary in a double engagement as Maria is betrothed to the son of the king of Hungary. Basil's younger of the twins, Basil, is Doux of Sicily and after three daughters finally had himself a son, also named Basil. They aren't pictured in Romanos's family photo.

unknown.png
They look so happy!

(...Black Death, where you at?)