Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

Spring of 1206: Temujin is proclaimed Great Khan of the Mongols

unknown.png

Spring of 1206: Temujin is proclaimed Great Khan of the Mongols
Merry Easter!
You've made my day! It's been a while since I've seen a world map here. I was worried that something unfortunate had happened to you and Sharklord.
Anyhoo, what's happening in those baltic regions? They can't all be Teutonics, right?
Is that the Empire of Kitara? I have to look into that.
What is that territory north of the Mongols?

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
Merry Easter!
You've made my day! It's been a while since I've seen a world map here. I was worried that something unfortunate had happened to you and Sharklord.
Anyhoo, what's happening in those baltic regions? They can't all be Teutonics, right?
Is that the Empire of Kitara? I have to look into that.
What is that territory north of the Mongols?

In the Baltics, those are all various Balt and Finnic states. I’m not 100% sure about some of them, the line between state and tribe can get blurry here, but I think I got it. Estonians in the north, Livonians in blue below them, Latgalians in orange next to them, Semigallians to their west, Couronians on the coast, then Yotvingia next to Masovia, and the little green bit in the middle of nowhere is Lithuania in its infancy.

Yep, that’s Kitara. I mostly went off of a map on Wikipedia of sites associated with Kitara, which seems to line up with oral histories of the empire

North of the Mongols are the Yenisei Kyrgyz

For Kanem, I went off the map wikipedia had, and those are all internals for Georgia
I am not an expert in the area but I read a paper about the people just south of the Chad lake (Kotoko) and it doesn't seem they were ever fully integrated into Kanem.

It's a short read.

I made a gif for Genghis Khan's conquests in Asia and Europe, and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. I want to do the rest of the Mongol Empire, perhaps up until the collapse of their states, but unfortunately I'm gonna be very busy and I'll be unable to do any of my projects I've got going unfortunately.

Let me know what you guys think, changes I should make, and tips for making gifs and whatnot

Kotoko city states.png

Kotoko city states in 19th Century according to this map from the Chapter "Kotoko City States by Mogens Herman Hansen" from "A Comparative Study of Thirty City-State Cultures". These are the City states in the 14th century as described by European visitors and this is the original Map.
8btxogrpeqw81.png

If anyone thinks they can do the internals for Logone Birni or fix any errors they see, pls go right ahead. So Kotoko are main descendants of the Sao and according to the Paper their state formation began between 1100 and 1400 but given the Sao were pretty advanced themselves, this many be something like how the Swahili appear after an earlier City/Town state culture on the East Africa presumably ended.(Assuming towns like Rhapta were proper city/town states). Anyways, King Idris Alooma (1580 - 1617) vassalized and converted them to Islam.

It seems to line up nicely enough with this Map of Bornu Empire and its Kotoko vassals in 17th and 18th Century by another researcher so I assume its correct enough.

jh6vsw85q4o51.png

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
I've got a new map in progress and want some feedback. I'm trying out something new with rebels, giving them fuzzy borders by outlining the area with a 50-point opacity drop each layer. On one hand, I think it kind of illustrates rebel areas of control being-ill defined decently, but on the other hand, it kinda looks antialiased and jpegy which I think sort of gives the map a "dirty" quality.

unknown.png

I've got a new map in progress and want some feedback. I'm trying out something new with rebels, giving them fuzzy borders by outlining the area with a 50-point opacity drop each layer. On one hand, I think it kind of illustrates rebel areas of control being-ill defined decently, but on the other hand, it kinda looks antialiased and jpegy which I think sort of gives the map a "dirty" quality.

unknown.png
I would prefer if that fuzzy layer is replaced with like a transition zone of one or two colours, whether dashed lines or dotted fills.

unknown.png
It looks like it could be ok but I'd like to see it in the context of the larger map