Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Does Rowan’s last name happen to be Atkinson?
Why, yes. Currently he is a University Student who got a chance to be a recuring character on a television series where he had a rather uncomfortable encounter with Jost Schultz.

Fun fact, between 2 and 3 seconds is how long it would take for an MG42 to fire off fifty-rounds, the feature which earned it its nicknames such as Buzzsaw or Bonesaw, Linoleum Ripper by the Russians, and the Kaiser's Zipper (ITTL). Just how modifying it to fire blanks would affect this I was unable to find information on.

Why, yes. Currently he is a University Student who got a chance to be a recuring character on a television series where he had a rather uncomfortable encounter with Jost Schultz.

Fun fact, between 2 and 3 seconds is how long it would take for an MG42 to fire off fifty-rounds, the feature which earned it its nicknames such as Buzzsaw or Bonesaw, Linoleum Ripper by the Russians, and the Kaiser's Zipper (ITTL). Just how modifying it to fire blanks would affect this I was unable to find information on.
It would depend on how it is modified to fire blanks. It is recoil operated, so anything that would make it operate like normal should keep up the cyclic rate. You would need to plug the barrel enough to keep enough gas in the barrel to operate the bolt.

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"

The discussion of whether or not something like Blackadder would be made ITTL just shows how far the butterflies of this timeline has made things the same but somewhat different.
No Soviet occupation and the imposition of communism means that directors like Roman Polanski and Milos Foreman are still making movies in their own country without governmental interference and that may affect certain movies such as Chinatown directed by Roman Polanski IOTL may be directed by someone else who would have kept the more upbeat ending.
They could along with other directors from Eastern Europe still could be making studio movies in America for the big money but find they have more artistic freedom ITTL in their own country instead of America.
No Vietnam War means the post Marine Corps acting career of R. Lee Emery does not happen but apparently Jost Schultz fills the void of the colorful Hardass NCO that is the cliche that filmmakers love.

No Vietnam War means the post Marine Corps acting career of R. Lee Emery does not happen but apparently Jost Schultz fills the void of the colorful Hardass NCO that is the cliche that filmmakers love.
...OK, now I have the vision of Jost guest-starring in the pilot episode of TTL's equivalent of Space: Above and Beyond...

If it is Rowan Atkinson then there are some flapping butterflies
Eh! No biggie.
I mean, George Bush is a terrorist/merchant of death in hiding
Richie Valens is a police officer/former army ranger
Sammy Davis Jr is a rising politician

its not the strangest thing out there person wise.
That's just butterflied Blackadder then. Bugger.
....well, maybe not series 4.

Part 135, Chapter 2321
Chapter Two Thousand Three Hundred Twenty-One

29th August 1974

Fossoy, France

Watching Monique weeding her grandmother’s kitchen garden from the back steps of Helene’s house, she was happily humming to herself as she went about the mundane task. Sjostedt knew that the prior weeks must have been quite an education for the girl. She had learned that there were worse things than pulling weeds. This also meant that he finally had a chance to talk to Helene without the fourteen-year-old listening in.

Of all the things that might have happened to Sjostedt, running into Helene had not been expected. Especially considering that he had not seen her since the Heer had retreated back to Courtemont-Varennes after the Battle of Ussy-sur-Marne in August and the 4th Division had been ordered to dig in along a ridge that was only a few kilometers east of Fossoy. She had vanished during that retreat and Sjostedt had been forced to put her out of his mind as he had watched over the following months as American and French forces had massed across the lines. Sjostedt had been certain that when the attack came his number would truly be up. Unknown to him, or anyone else at the time, was that what had happened at Ussy had convinced the Americans that while they could defeat the Heer in the field, it would come at too great a cost.

The relief that Sjostedt had felt when the ceasefire had been announced had been profound. Still though, his orders had been to hold in place and then to join his Regiment as they had walked back to the 1914 Frontier. They had been under no illusions about what happened to local women who took up with German soldiers and he had been given little choice but to accept her loss.

“I thought that you were gone forever” Sjostedt said as if that changed things. “If I had known that…”

“You would have what?” Helene asked, “Come back searching for me? And gotten yourself butchered because a lone Boche was good as dead in those days? A lot of good that would have done me or you.”

“Still though, it wasn’t right for me to have left you” Sjostedt said, “Or even what happened before that.”

“What are you on about?” Helene asked.

“You were given few choices, you weren’t much older than Monique” Sjostedt said, “I took advantage of you without knowing better.”

Helene gave him a look and shook her head. “Still the same arrogance after all these years” She said, “Who’s to say that I didn’t take advantage of you?”

“The tough as nails Danish soldier with that big bruiser you were always with” Helene said, “What was his name?”

“That was Walter Horst” Sjostedt replied.

Helene was a bit surprised by that answer, apparently Horst’s legend had grown to the point where they had even heard of him here.

“Regardless” Helene said, “No one with any sense messed with you, or your woman.”

“I had not considered that” Sjostedt said, “What about her?”

He gestured towards Monique.

“What about Monique?” Helene asked in reply, “She is the daughter of my son Pierre, the same son who was probably killed by her mother’s family because of who his father was or how they didn’t like his involvement with their girl.”

“You are avoiding answering the obvious question” Sjostedt replied, as if the answer weren’t patently obvious just by that name. “Just how certain are you that Pierre is dead?”

“He hasn’t shown up one step ahead of those he was indebted to in almost fifteen years, and he is unlikely to have turned over a new leaf” Helene replied, “I can feel it in my bones that he is never coming back.”

“That is disappointing” Sjostedt said.

“Yes” Helene said, “Disappointment is something you get used to. They dropped Monique in my lap once she was old enough for them convince themselves that they had done their Catholic duty. It must have been awful for her mother, and I haven’t seen her since. They really are the worst sort of hypocrites, the whole lot of them.”

“I see” Sjostedt replied. He was aware that wasn’t a unique problem to this corner of France, the sort of deep hatred that became part of a people’s identity if allowed to fester long enough. It was such pure poison that they had made their own granddaughter one of “Them” and apparently thought nothing of it.

“She also cannot stay here because of that” Helene said, “After her running off and with her hair like that, they are going to try to destroy her reputation and there isn’t a whole lot I can do.”

“And you think there is something I can do about that?” Sjostedt asked. It was odd to consider that Monique having cut her hair off would mark her out here while in Berlin or Paris it might be considered fashionable.

“A Lutheran Bishop who addressed the League of Nations on matters of war and peace should be able to do something for his granddaughter” Helene said.

“That was a long time ago” Sjostedt said as he felt another stab of guilt. Apparently, Helene had been aware of what he had been doing this whole time. “I am now retired and seventy-six years old in case you haven’t noticed.”

Helene snorted as if Sjostedt said something funny.

“The Aunts also have to be considered” Sjostedt said, “Monique would be considered Diné among them and they can make things difficult if they find her wanting. Even so, there will probably be trouble if I don’t call my sisters and get their opinion on this matter.”

“Who are the Diné?” Helene asked.

Sjostedt didn’t have the first clue as to where to begin.

A friend of mine observed that Michael von Preussen ITTL reminded them of Jason Kingsley from a YouTube channel about Medieval History. Is anyone familiar with that?

Jason Kingsley produces very high quality content on Knights in the middle ages. But he approaches it from a stapoint a jouster and someone who practices practical archeology.

His content is quite educational.

So I see it as a difference of approach.

IMO Michael uses his position and the pageantry around it to promote his personal interests. All around the pretense of furthering the cultural heritage of Bohemia.

So Monique is Piers granddaughter.

Some quick maths...
Her father was probably born 1919-ish. Monique is 14, so born 1960. That would have made him around 40 when he got together with a local 'girl'. With nothing contradicting it in the narrative, that makes me think her mother was roughly half the age of her father. Sketchy at best.

Doesn't even need the most conservative of families to frown upon something like that.

Though implied murder and nobody seeing her mother again speaks it's own language. (Not sure if 'vanish into a convent' is still a common thing in the 1960-70s OTL France, let alone TTL - and that is one of the nicer interpretations.)

(Not sure if 'vanish into a convent' is still a common thing in the 1960-70s OTL France, let alone TTL - and that is one of the nicer interpretations.)
I mean, Kira vanished Gia into a convent in the 40s ITTL. Granted it was temporary until she ‘learned her lesson’ but still :p

More seriously: depends on the country and how conservative it was. The last Magdalene Laundry in Ireland wasn’t shut down until the early 90s. They were very active in the 60s and 70s, for unmarried mothers, r*** victims, women felt to be ‘too flirtatious’…

It would depend on how it is modified to fire blanks. It is recoil operated, so anything that would make it operate like normal should keep up the cyclic rate. You would need to plug the barrel enough to keep enough gas in the barrel to operate the bolt.
There were several MG42s used in Where Eagles Dare and they seemed to operate fine.

Part 135, Chapter 1322
Chapter Two Thousand Three Hundred Twenty-Two

31st August 1974

Tempelhof, Berlin

Sophie was a bit desperate for time to stop. It had been a wonderful summer now there was only a couple days left until the new school term started and it felt like it was far too soon for that. First the bicycle races, the rock & roll festival then a few weeks spent in Canada. The prior few days had been busy, mostly because Kat insisted that Sophie and Angelica be prepared on the first day of the term for anything that might get thrown at them. What was a bit surprising though had been that nothing had changed. Marie Alexandra had been Kat’s youngest actual daughter and she had decided to go to University in Montreal. Sophie couldn’t say how exactly, but she had figured that things would be different. It seemed that she had been wrong on that score.

“You are a part of this family Zoe, so why would things have changed?” Kat had replied when Sophie had asked.

Playing with Sprocket by bouncing his ball off the back wall of the garage. She watched him misjudge the angle which the ball would go in and ended up tumbling on the grass as he tried to change directions. In an instant he was back on his feet scrambling after the ball. When he caught up with the ball, Sprocket brought it back to Sophie and dropped the slobber covered ball by her feet. Picking it up, she threw the ball against the wall again and the mad scramble began anew.

If this was how things were going to be over the next couple years, then Sophie wouldn’t have too much of a problem with that.

Washington D.C.

“Is following an eighteen-year-old girl around really the best use of Agency resources?” Frank Church asked looking at the photographs that had been taken just hours earlier. He knew that his appointment to be the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency was as little more than as a placeholder until the Administration got around to appointing their own man. Now, almost two years in, Nixon had mostly been consumed with domestic concerns. So, Church remained at the Agency involved in the Sisyphean task of attempting to rein in some its worst impulses. Following the granddaughter of a retired Canadian Defense Minister around Montreal because her mother happened to be the odd quasi-monarch of Berlin was just one example. All they had learned was that the girl liked thrift stores and the whole thing had the makings of an international incident if they got caught.

Of far more interest was the ongoing operation in Germany. It had taken decades, but they had turned someone at the very highest levels of the German Government. The fact that person was able to give them the details of the day-to-day operations of the BND and BII was a real coup. The trouble was that there were two serious problems. The first was that their man on the inside might overreach and the other was that someone in the Agency itself might brag about what was going on where unfriendly ears might hear. Both had the potential to expose the operation. An unexpected development had been when an Army Officer working out of the Berlin Embassy had stumbled across a second source out of the German Military High Command that corroborated the first. Church had smelled a rat, mostly because he had spent a long time in this game and knew the Army Officer in question. If there really was a disaffected Officer within the OKW, they would have to either be profoundly stupid or black out drunk to reach out to Oliver North. It wasn’t that North was stupid, it was that he was exactly the sort who Church figured would do the bragging if that happened. And how did they know that this second source wasn’t the start of a mole hunt in Berlin and Wunsdorf? They didn’t and the only way to find out was when they all got burnt.

Los Angeles

Ritchie fired the last two bullets from the new pistol, leaving the slide locked back he waited for the rangemaster to ring the bell announcing that this part of the exercise was over. This was all part of him qualifying to use the new service pistol that the Department had adopted. Officially, it was manufactured by Smith & Wesson when the truth was that it was a licensed version of the Sig-Sauer P.226. The pistol and its 9mm Parabellum cartridge were automatically controversial within and outside the Department.

Many Officers were upset about what they deemed a “Kraut gun” even though it was Swiss in origin and the Los Angeles Times had had a field day with what it termed an “Army Weapon” in the hands of every Police Officer. It was the same sort of thinking that had nearly resulted in the Department considering taking away Stoner Rifles from the Officers who had been issued them. They also took issue with the 15-round capacity. What could they possibly need that many bullets for?

Of course, Ritchie had a different perspective. Anyone who had ever tried to reload an old revolver in a stressful situation knew how much a pain they were and honestly, you could never have too many bullets when things went sideways. It was why he had tried to get a 1911 pistol when he had first joined the Department. That also why he had been among the first to volunteer to qualify with the new pistol.

“Is following an eighteen-year-old girl around really the best use of Agency resources?” Frank Church asked looking at the photographs that had been taken just hours earlier. He knew that his appointment to be the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency was as little more than as a placeholder until the Administration got around to appointing their own man. Now, almost two years in, Nixon had mostly been consumed with domestic concerns. So, Church remained at the Agency involved in the Sisyphean task of attempting to rein in some its worst impulses. Following the granddaughter of a retired Canadian Defense Minister around Montreal because her mother happened to be the odd quasi-monarch of Berlin was just one example. All they had learned was that the girl liked thrift stores and the whole thing had the makings of an international incident if they got caught.

Two things:

1 - I totally forgot Nixon was President, and although I do remember reading it, the man has been so quiet compared to the other US Presidents so far is seems so inconsequential, considering he was a Foreign Policy beast in OTL. But I guess Liberal Democrat Nixon is just focusing on civil rights is just too good to pass up (wait, he is a democrat in this ATL?)

2 - Oh, please, just to see Kat's daughter get attempoted kidnapping like what Kennedy did to her mother 4o-odd years ago would be beyond ironically amusing. And also Stupid.

The biggest problem for the CIA when carrying out this surveillance is going to be showing out. Because of they do it here, the RCMP who are also likely shadowing the Grand-Daughter of the former Canadian Defence Minister, (and former chief spy), the daughter of Kurfurstin Katherine Von Mischner, because of who she is. The fact that the CIA haven't realised that she is being followed tells me that the officers carrying out the surveillance aren't actually that good. This is just turning into a giant international incident in the making.

The only way this could get worse is if Frank Church is sat in his office one morning and his secretary calls through:

"Sir, I have the Minister of Defence of Canada on line one for you".
"Thank you, I'll take that, can you bring me a coffee please"
"Yes sir, also, I have the Minister of Defence of the German Empire on line two for you"
"Heck, best make it a strong coffee then"
"There is also Sir Malcolm Blackwood of the RCMP on line three for you sir"
"OK, Best Irish up that coffee Loretta"
"And I have a Katherine Von Mischner on line four for you sir... Sir"?
"Loretta, forget the coffee, just bring me the bottle please".

What would be great is if the CIA operation in Montreal also found out that other countries intelligence services are also doing surveillance operations on Marie Blackwood which leads to them asking why?

IOTL at this time many police departments were starting to increase the firepower of their officers in the streets as they were being "outgunned" by the criminals and while Ritchie has showed that he is not the typical "Skull Breaker" street officer, his army training has taught him that there is never too much firepower for him to carry.