Alternate History Combat Aircraft

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
Went back and edited the Ju-3000 to a plane of the Kaiserliche Marine instead of Kreigsmarine, moved up it's service record a decade as well.
It's still OP but oh well.
Good enough.👍😎

Incidentally, those winglets, along with the turbofans and the efficient wingform, would certainly optimise its patrol range. I'd expect it to have a longer service life.

Last edited:
Focke Wulf Fw-1000x1000x1000 B.
FW-1000 +.png

Multi role aircraft:

Range 1000 km
Speed 1000 km/h
Bomb load 1000 kg.

Armament:
1x5cm cannon
2x3.7cm cannons
2x20mm cannons

Time of service 1946-1960

One of my favorite Luft-46 designs, when STTNG premiered I was struck by how much the Klingon Bird of Prey reminded me of the Fw-1000 and I wondered if the Fw-1000 served as inspiration.

BoP.png

Multi role aircraft:

Range 1000 km
Speed 1000 km/h
Bomb load 1000 kg.

Armament:
1x5cm cannon
2x3.7cm cannons
2x20mm cannons

Time of service 1946-1960

One of my favorite Luft-46 designs, when STTNG premiered I was struck by how much the Klingon Bird of Prey reminded me of the Fw-1000 and I wondered if the Fw-1000 served as inspiration.
Now that is one weird aircraft, especially with that kind of armament :O Wingtip 3.7 cm cannons are gonna a) have some serious convergence issues and b) put massive strain on the whole structure of the wing from the recoil.

The Klingon B`Rel-class BoP ist one of my absolutely favorite military starship designs of all time!

Now that is one weird aircraft, especially with that kind of armament :O Wingtip 3.7 cm cannons are gonna a) have some serious convergence issues and b) put massive strain on the whole structure of the wing from the recoil.

The Klingon B`Rel-class BoP ist one of my absolutely favorite military starship designs of all time!
I never for a moment thought the gun placement I used here was a good one, I just wanted to copy the bird of prey and I seriously wonder if the Fw-1000 influenced the BoP design.
What do you think?

I never for a moment thought the gun placement I used here was a good one, I just wanted to copy the bird of prey and I seriously wonder if the Fw-1000 influenced the BoP design.
What do you think?
It was pretty clear that it was a BoP style arrangement more for coolness than practicality and I think you realy acchieved that :D Two designs aspect of the BoP that I absolutely love are the downswept "wings" and the long "neck" with the bridge in front, but thats both realy not something that can be replicated on a plane.

Pangur

Donor
It was pretty clear that it was a BoP style arrangement more for coolness than practicality and I think you realy acchieved that :D Two designs aspect of the BoP that I absolutely love are the downswept "wings" and the long "neck" with the bridge in front, but thats both realy not something that can be replicated on a plane.
The French would have tried

Im not sure, the BoP is much to elegant for the french :p During the interwar years they exclusivly build planes looking like train cars and after ww2 they switched to
lawndarts. /s

In all honesty the french have some seriously awesome planes. The SNCASO SO.8000 is one of the most beautifull piston fighters and I also actually totally dig the Bus-shaped contraptions like the Farman F.222.

Last edited:
OK my design was indeed inspired by the BoP but do you guys think the designers of the BoP were influenced or inspired by the Fw-1000?

I can see the link however I would be surprised if the BoP creators were LW46 fans and my reason is timing
Good point, there was no internet back then so unless one of the designers was really into WWII German aircraft ( a small possibility) there probably was no influence there.

The British tried the concept as well, but granted, during peacetime...
The russians also tried during the war, though only in prototypes:

After the war you have a short window where a number of nations (most notably the french) experimented with mixed propulsion jet/rocket interceptors to supplement the rather weak early jet engines and increase climb rates for interceptors, but these projects got shelved pretty quickly once jet engines were developed further.

A Confederate Volksjeager Fighter, for the CSAF: 1945 Idea that I had for a while.
I want to see a timeline where the He-162 is developed properly and intended for "real" pilots. The basic airframe has a lot of potential (if its build to proper standards and developed a bit further to get rid of its worst vices) but barely trained german late war emergency pilots are never goingto be able to fly it.

The russians also tried during the war, though only in prototypes:

After the war you have a short window where a number of nations (most notably the french) experimented with mixed propulsion jet/rocket interceptors to supplement the rather weak early jet engines and increase climb rates for interceptors, but these projects got shelved pretty quickly once jet engines were developed further.

I want to see a timeline where the He-162 is developed properly and intended for "real" pilots. The basic airframe has a lot of potential (if its build to proper standards and developed a bit further to get rid of its worst vices) but barely trained german late war emergency pilots are never goingto be able to fly it.
The He-162 major weakness was the glue used to connect the vertical stabilizers to the tail, correct this one deficiency and it would've been a fine aircraft according to British test pilot Eric Brown.

I did something similar but mine was a rocket powered fighter, I felt the Confederates would be the only ones next to the Germans and the Japanese desperate enough to try such a dangerous concept.
All RATO and manned spaceflight systems have been just as dangerous and plenty of countries developed those.