Thank you, be sure to check out my 'All To Play For' Redux TL on here! :) Plus, what was your favourite WC ITTL here? :)

I’ll make sure to!

It’s hard to choose, particularly because I’m an England supporter. I don’t want to be that guy, but the ‘66 World Cup was probably my favorite for just the glory of a win over Scotland. That being said, ‘74 and ‘02 were both pretty great as well, even without the Three Lions in the final. ‘74 may just have something to do with my fascination with “total football”.

Are there any results of the Copa America and the Confederations Cup? I wonder if this Argentina would still have the "sequia".

49728934667_907b4f6d41_o.png

List of venues used for the 1966 World Cup
When it was found out that 12 venues would be needed, expanded from the 8 stadiums before, it would be an expensive task to pull off. However the good fortune was the fact that England was hosting the tournament because England had the largest stadiums that could be used for the task in mind in the short time needed and had it been other nation hosting it, it is likely that the increase to 24 teams would have likely never had happened.

The venues chosen were picked for their close geographic positions nearby which was to help with the reduced travel times for both players and fans alike, something that was greatly appreciated by all concern.
This is a very interesting thread.

I am just curious into the research angle, how does one actually determine how many stadiums are needed for a world cup tournament in an ATL? Let's say for example an ATL has 32 teams, or 36 teams or 48 teams? How would FIFA determine the actual number of stadiums needed?

This is a very interesting thread.

I am just curious into the research angle, how does one actually determine how many stadiums are needed for a world cup tournament in an ATL? Let's say for example an ATL has 32 teams, or 36 teams or 48 teams? How would FIFA determine the actual number of stadiums needed?
Just pretty much follow the OTL example of how many stadiums you get at a World Cup is what I do.

Hi, just curious about something. Could you maybe make a wikipedia thing showing what happened in Euro 2016 and 2020? Like you did with the others? Stuff like Finals, semifinals, hosts?

Last edited:
Hi, just curious about something. Could you maybe make a wikipedia thing showing what happened in Euro 2016 and 2020? Like you did with the others? Stuff like Finals, semifinals, hosts?
That will happen just before the start of the 2022 World Cup in which the TL will be brought back to life then.

That will happen just before the start of the 2022 World Cup in which the TL will be brought back to life then.
Oh, thanks for letting me know! Absolutely loved this TL. As a American with a Scottish dad, seeing the Tartan Army win Euro 68 and get so close in other World Cups and Euros is heartwarming. Shows what could happen if we played up to our potential.

Oh, thanks for letting me know! Absolutely loved this TL. As a American with a Scottish dad, seeing the Tartan Army win Euro 68 and get so close in other World Cups and Euros is heartwarming. Shows what could happen if we played up to our potential.
Not to mention seeing the USA hosting the World Cup eailer here does wonder for the sport Stateside. Also with Scotland, me being Scottish does make me a little bias for the team doing better here but hey, that's just me. :)

Not to mention seeing the USA hosting the World Cup eailer here does wonder for the sport Stateside. Also with Scotland, me being Scottish does make me a little bias for the team doing better here but hey, that's just me. :)
I imagine that the Scottish Premier League is on par with the Premier League in terms of popularity in this timeline, due to the national team's success. In fact, instead of the Trainspotting quote "It's shite being Scottish!" now it's "Sweet being Scottish!"

I imagine that the Scottish Premier League is on par with the Premier League in terms of popularity in this timeline, due to the national team's success. In fact, instead of the Trainspotting quote "It's shite being Scottish!" now it's "Sweet being Scottish!"
Not really, the PL is always going to be far bigger than the SPFL no matter what due to financial wealth and many more teams on show as compared to just the Old Firm running the show. That said, the Scottish League ITTL is about 20% to 30% better than OTL with the Welsh league, with the likes of Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham in it, is ITTL on the level as OTL's SPFL.

Anyway, what tournament ITTL here has been your favourite one?

Not really, the PL is always going to be far bigger than the SPFL no matter what due to financial wealth and many more teams on show as compared to just the Old Firm running the show. That said, the Scottish League ITTL is about 20% to 30% better than OTL with the Welsh league, with the likes of Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham in it, is ITTL on the level as OTL's SPFL.

Anyway, what tournament ITTL here has been your favourite one?
That's a tough one. I find all of them equally great. I do have favorite moments tho. Like Scotland beating England in 1994, Australia and the Melbourne Miracle. I suppose my technical favorite is World Cup 66. Only because Scotland made it to the final. I find it painful yet understanding that 30 years later, history would repeat itself for Euro 96. At least Scotland has Euro 68.

Last edited:
1982 FIFA WORLD CUP
Part 4

The last four of the 1982 World Cup would all be decided on penalties, but that wasn't all saying that the two Semi-Finals were drab affairs, quite the opposite, they would go down as two of the great World Cup games ever in terms of thrills, goals and controversy. The first Semi-Final in front of a packed crowd at Camp Nou would see England and Argentina fight it out for a place in the last four and memories of the 1966 'robbery' by the Argentine media were all the rage in the build up [1].

Regardless, what followed was a truly eyewatering game which started off with Maradona getting a goal in the 17th minute before less that ten minutes later that Bryan Robson would come up and score to make the game level. The game itself could've seen two more goals for either team if it weren't for rather questionable refereeing from the Israeli referee which saw said goals disallowed.

1980+england+3-argentina+1--Photo+3.jpg

England vs Argentina at Camp Nou, 1982
Both sides would really go for it yet nether could find a winner in ninety minutes and the game went into extra time. What followed would be a dramatic game as in the 92nd and 98th minute, Woodcock would fire England into a 3-1 lead thanks to quickfire goals which looked like they were going into the final, however Argentina would not give up and two quickfire goals from them would tie the game at 3-3 and this dramatic game would now move onto penalties.

It would be here however that the start of England's penalty woes would begin [2] as two misses from Wilkins and Thompson would hand Argentina the victory which they won 5-4 on spot kicks and saw them make their first final since 1930 and England had once again fallen short. For one Maradona who remembered as a young boy when England beat Argentina in 1966, the sight of him showing emotion of what he felt was justice was seen by all.

sport-football-pic-13th-may-1980-friendly-international-at-wembley-3-picture-id78982407

During the closing minutes of extra time
As Argentina celebrated what was perhaps one of the greatest World Cup victories they had managed to pull off, the English were too exhausted after such a game and would've perhaps wanted to go home but had to play one more game, yet another third-place match, though it was unclear if they had the stomach for a game. For their victorious opponents, Argentina would descend on the Spanish capital in what was what they felt was a long, overdue victory.

--------
After such a dramatic match, few wonder if the next Semi-Final game with France and Brazil the following evening would match such a game. Many had Brazil, as ever, as the favourites to join their South American rivals in the final though that was perhaps a little bit unfair on their opponents who had talent that could perhaps match Brazil and in some alternate universe, this might've been the dream final for many [3].

The game would be quite a tight affair in which neither side found a way to break through and compared to the frantic game before, this felt quite poor with many people who were expecting goals to flow were perhaps wondering when things would finally start. Neither side would find the back of the net in the first half and the players would walk off to the sound of whistles and jeers from a mostly Spanish crowd who wanted action.

fr%2Bbr%2B81.jpg

France vs Brazil in the Semi-Final
The deadlock would finally be broken in the 67th minute after a French defence mishap and it looked like Brazil would start adding more goals to give them distance between them and the French. However the French would not give up and tension started to mount as the lead remained slender and France began to push Brazil into their own half and it would be the very last minute of added time that the French won a corner and their star man, Platini, would header in a goal that sent a nation into delirium and another covering their eyes in horror. The game now went into extra time...

With the shock of losing that late goal, Brazil now looked weak and unable to regain their composure and all the talk of this Brazilian side being the real deal was begin to look foolish and the game would go all the way to penalties and this would be a rare event for the Brazil team as they may have won games, but could they win on a shootout? The answer would be a 'no'; France would win the shootout 4-3 and a great upset had happened which would see France move into their first final [4].

michel-platini-of-france-celebrate-his-goal-during-semi-final-world-picture-id829418036

Platini after scoring his late goal near the end of the game
Much like with England, Brazil now had the task of playing in a third-place match themselves but with how they felt, they were gutted and wanted to go home to lick their wounds. The French now would face Argentina in a final in which regardless who won would see a new name on the cup, question now was who would it be when the two teams met in Madrid in a few days time...

View attachment 571921
Final results of 1982 Semi-Final

--------
  • [1] Look back on 1966 ITTL.
  • [2] As a rule up to at least 2018, England suffers from penalty woes! :p
  • [3] TBH, that would've been a great final to see...
  • [4] France get to the final which they should've gotten two plus one certain player doesn't suffer a horrendous injury...
There we are, two madcap Semi-Finals which would've been something to have seen. Anyway we are now near the end of 1982 and 1986 is getting closer and we will get a new host as well as some off field events...however I'm getting ahead of myself.

Until then, stay tuned for the final update of 1982!
I'm making a google doc compiling all the info from this TL and I'm wondering who kicked the first penalty. Was it Kempes or Francis? Also, did Calderon score the last kick or was Thompson the last kick?

I'm making a google doc compiling all the info from this TL and I'm wondering who kicked the first penalty. Was it Kempes or Francis? Also, did Calderon score the last kick or was Thompson the last kick?
Francis, and by extension England, goes first in the shootout with Argentina getting the winning penalty.

Curious to also know what you have in mind with this doc you are planning on doing.

Francis, and by extension England, goes first in the shootout with Argentina getting the winning penalty.

Curious to also know what you have in mind with this doc you are planning on doing.
Just writing down all of the goals, dates, stadium, attendances. All that jazz. Hey, I have an account too, so maybe some day we could work on a Football TL together.

You don't have to do the following, but it would help if I knew for the past World Cups

Goalscorers in the group stages (Would help me realize who won the Golden Boot)
First and last kick takers for penalty shootouts.
Venues, attendance, referees, time (Basically what you did for knockout round) but for group stages.

Last edited:
You don't have to do the following, but it would help if I knew for the past World Cups

Goalscorers in the group stages (Would help me realize who won the Golden Boot)
First and last kick takers for penalty shootouts.
Venues, attendance, referees, time (Basically what you did for knockout round) but for group stages.
Oh jeez, really can't recall the goalscorers in the group stages as I had never intended for that to become a thing. Anyway, at least I know that for TTL's 2022 WC that much like OTL, Italy won't be there...can't stop laughing at that.

Oh jeez, really can't recall the goalscorers in the group stages as I had never intended for that to become a thing. Anyway, at least I know that for TTL's 2022 WC that much like OTL, Italy won't be there...can't stop laughing at that.
That's alright. I was just inspired by Ruperto Pesto's TL. Would you ever need help on this TL or any other football TL?

Wait are you serious? How did Italy fail to make the cup? That's hilarious!

Wait are you serious? How did Italy fail to make the cup? That's hilarious!
Yep, North Macedonia defeated them in injury time. Italy just got too arrogant following winning Euro 2020 after a poor qualifying group stage and got what they deserved, would be hilarious if North Macedonia end up qualifying by beating Portugal to prevent the two sides from making to the World Cup!

Yep, North Macedonia defeated them in injury time. Italy just got too arrogant following winning Euro 2020 after a poor qualifying group stage and got what they deserved, would be hilarious if North Macedonia end up qualifying by beating Portugal to prevent the two sides from making to the World Cup!
Didn't North Macedonia also beat Germany and break their winning streak? Just a funny coincedence. Also I have a question, does Czechoslovakia stay as that, or does it become Czech Republic in the 90s in your TL?