A Sound of Thunder: The Rise of the Soviet Superbooster

development of a hydrogen upper stage, the Blok-S
Odd.

The Soviets tended to name stages alphabetically (yes A, B, V, G, D is alphabetical in Cyrillic), so where does S come from?
However, apparently the hydrolox stages were S and R and then combined into SR.
Hunh.

They couldn't use V (vodorod=hydrogen) because that's already taken.

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing your renders of the N1F.

Since the US will, by 1976, be committed to the Shuttle, I wonder how long it would take them to pivot to the Moon in the 1980s.

The idea of having the descent module encased in another spacecraft is kind of odd. I'm looking at the pictures on Astronautix now, so I can visualize it...but it still seems peculiar compared to just having the thing docked. At least it's not as risky as it would be with the Apollo CM--Soyuz, at least, only used peroxide thrusters for attitude control, so a leak wouldn't be quite so dangerous. I think.

I was wondering when the PoD would appear, I read the prelude and while I don't have that detailed a knowledge of the Soviet Space program everything seemed pretty close to OTL. No Salyut presumably means the first Soviet space station will be Almaz aka OTL Salyut-2 which only launched a month before Skylab and didn't work. If it works and launches on schedule then the Soviets could still be the first to orbit a space station, if, as in OTL, it doesn't NASA could rack up another first with Skylab as the worlds first Space Station.
We'll definately be exploring the impact of removing the DOS stations in the next few posts.

Odd.

The Soviets tended to name stages alphabetically (yes A, B, V, G, D is alphabetical in Cyrillic), so where does S come from?
However, apparently the hydrolox stages were S and R and then combined into SR.
Hunh.

They couldn't use V (vodorod=hydrogen) because that's already taken.
No idea why they jumped to Blok-R and Blok-S historically. I guess there were a lot of unrealised studies in between. IOTL, the N1-L3 stack got up to Blok-E, which was the name for the LK lander's rocket stage. As far as I know, the LOK didn't get a letter Blok designation.

Part of me wonders if we'll see a truly Red Planet in the future.
I'm afraid boots on the Martian surface are beyond the scope of Part 1, but it looks pretty likely that there will be a Part 2, so...

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing your renders of the N1F.

Since the US will, by 1976, be committed to the Shuttle, I wonder how long it would take them to pivot to the Moon in the 1980s.

The idea of having the descent module encased in another spacecraft is kind of odd. I'm looking at the pictures on Astronautix now, so I can visualize it...but it still seems peculiar compared to just having the thing docked. At least it's not as risky as it would be with the Apollo CM--Soyuz, at least, only used peroxide thrusters for attitude control, so a leak wouldn't be quite so dangerous. I think.
We will be exploring the impact on the US space programme (and vice-versa), so watch this space :)

As for the encapsulated descent module, that is indeed strange, and the feature didn't appear in later Soviet/Russian lunar landing studies like the Energia-based LEK or more recent Roscosmos vapourware. My assumption is it was to ensure the heat shield was protected from lunar rocks and dust kicked up during landing/take-off, as the return capsule was no longer being left in nice, clean lunar orbit.

Interesting so far. I don't think I've ever seen a POD like that in these TLs - the prevention of Salyut/Almaz. That'll be one serious butterfly right there...

So if I understand this right, the LOK/LK setup may be bypassed completely in favour of L3M? Wouldn't be too bad IMHO, given that if I did my numbers right, the LK would only have 37.8s (at 100% thrust) for landing given how tight the margins had become.

But regarding the L3M. As I understand it, the 3-crew encapsulated eggshell-like design was part of the revised 1972 study. At this point (1970), the design they were looking at had the re-entry capsule placed atop the habitat module - with the heat shield protected by said module - and supporting a crew of two for the two-week stay. Any reason for that?

But the big question is: How do they resolve the crippling reliability woes the N1 suffers?

But regarding the L3M. As I understand it, the 3-crew encapsulated eggshell-like design was part of the revised 1972 study. At this point (1970), the design they were looking at had the re-entry capsule placed atop the habitat module - with the heat shield protected by said module - and supporting a crew of two for the two-week stay. Any reason for that?
Damn... You're completely correct, this should be the earlier non-ecapsulated version! I've made a quick edit to fix in this post, and I'll double-check the rest. Thanks for the catch!

Interesting so far. I don't think I've ever seen a POD like that in these TLs - the prevention of Salyut/Almaz. That'll be one serious butterfly right there...
Thanks! I tried to find the smallest PoD that could plausibly do the job. Whether I succeeded in that second part, I leave for the reader to judge :)

So if I understand this right, the LOK/LK setup may be bypassed completely in favour of L3M? Wouldn't be too bad IMHO, given that if I did my numbers right, the LK would only have 37.8s (at 100% thrust) for landing given how tight the margins had become.
To use a handy German word: “Jein” (Yes/No). IOTL, L3M was approved by the Council of Chief Engineers and the Military-Industrial Commission in early 1972, but the 8L launch planned for August 1974 (suspended in May 1974 by Glushko) still made use of N1-L3 hardware. There was an enormous bureaucratic inertia in the Soviet system that meant that once a project was approved, it was almost impossible to get off the books, as there were few people brave enough to tell the Politiburo that they were unable to deliver what had been promised. (This seems to have persisted even beyond the end of the USSR IOTL: see e.g. the way Buran was never officially cancelled, but rather just faded away). ITTL L3M has been approved two years earlier, but that doesn’t mean L3 has been cancelled.

But the big question is: How do they resolve the crippling reliability woes the N1 suffers?
Indeed!

Ah yes, the infamous "Blok-HEAD" concept... :)

Randy
:)

Interlude : Soyuz 9/10
2A9AKbfXlFR7247sVMWKu2X_8NskQG0MkQYMuvrHIZRoov5fL3cI0TUQ-0-9rz3ki72r7Jt7GZ91sqbD6YDMjiPg5CEANOSgmw0fg2NLvhA8NTRpd6mNuhmtvDBfiQ820z8oh849

Interlude : Soyuz 9/10​

- 9th May 1970, Low Earth Orbit

For the second time in his life, Aleksei Leonov pushed through a spacecraft outer hatch and into space. Gripping the handrail on the exterior of Soyuz 10’s Habitation Module, he looked past the fabric-and-metal of the joined Soyuz spacecraft to gaze at the fully lit face of the Earth. It was a sight that had lost none of its grandeur in the five years since his historic Voskhod 2 mission.

Leonov flexed his arms experimentally. The internal pulley system of his Yastreb spacesuit made it a lot more flexible than the Berkut he had worn for Voskhod, and with no umbilical cord to get tangled in he had greater freedom of movement - though the bulky life support pack, currently strapped to his right leg, kept bumping into things. Still some room for improvement…

“Aleksei, are you just going to stand there all day?” Nikolai Rukavishnikov asked over the radio from the descent module. “Do I have to come out there and give you a push?!”

“I’m on my way, Nikolai,” Leonov assured his comrade. He carefully attached his second safety line to the rail extending along the stubby “snout” of the Habitation Module, then unclipped from the airlock rail and pulled himself along the exterior of the ship. He paused briefly to wave at the TV camera mounted next to the airlock hatch, before turning his attention to his next challenge: the Kontakt docking assembly.

The probe-and-drogue docking units used on previous Soyuz mission had fitted neatly into the nose of the Habitation Modules, making a spacesuited passage across the exterior of the linked spacecraft relatively simple. The Kontakt system, by contrast, attempted to simplify docking by providing a nice, large target plate on the passive vehicle for the active spacecraft to hit with its probe. For this mission, Soyuz 10 was using a Habitation Module almost identical to that planned for the LOK moonship, including a cluster of thrusters and propellant tanks ending in a probe consisting of four splayed contact legs surrounding a central prong. Together, these appendages presented Leonov with an obstacle course of tanks, tubes and wiring on the Soyuz 10 side, to be followed by the wall of Soyuz 9’s target plate before he could pull himself into the other ship’s Habitation Module. The rails attached to the Habitation Modules allow passage over these obstacles, but still there remained a risk of getting his safety tether snagged in the delicate equipment.

Come now, Aleksei, Leonov thought to himself. If you can’t master this in nice, safe Earth orbit, how can you hope to achieve it when circling about the moon?

Taking a firm grip on the handrail, taking care to avoid disturbing the explosive bolts that would release the two craft, Aleksei clipped onto the probe assembly and propelled himself towards the docking plate. Arresting his motion with one outstretched hand against the plate, he turned himself end-over-end, leaving his legs pointing out into space as he inspected the target for damage.

“The plate looks good,” he reported. “It looks like the probe hit cleanly. It went straight through the plate and grabbed on tight! I see no damage to the probe.”

“Aleksei, did you experience any problems passing the mechanism?” That was Andriyan Nikolayev, already suited with his torso outside of Soyuz 9’s airlock hatch, ready for his own transfer. After two weeks aloft in Soyuz 9, Nikolayev was to spend a further fortnight in orbit with Rukavishnikov in Soyuz 10, setting a spaceflight endurance record that would prove hard to beat.

“No problems,” Leonov reported. “I am coming over to you now. I bring warm greetings from Mother Russia and from your lovely Valentina[1].”

Rukavishnikov chimed in at that point, “I hope she will not become too jealous at my spending the next two weeks in such close quarters with you!”

“I have not been in space so long and become so desperate for company that she could have anything to be jealous of, Kolya,” Nikolayev replied tartly. Leonov grinned in his suit. It was a good sign that Nikolayev remained in high spirits halfway through his record-breaking mission. Still smiling, Leonov twisted his body over the docking plate and grabbed the next handrail on Soyuz 9’s Habitation Module.

After pulling himself fully across, Leonov paused to look back upon the Soyuz 10 Habitation Module he’d just left. The sight of the lunar ship’s module in space filled him with a possessive pride, but also a slight sadness. For years Leonov had been training to fly in a similar ship to become the first Soviet citizen to land on the moon. It was, in fact, the reason for his inclusion on this mission, as a spacewalk like this would be required before the LK’s pilot and his companion in the LOK could return to Earth. If the latest rumours were true, and N1-L3 was replaced by a larger, more capable two-launch mission, then the LOK and LK might never get their chance to carry humans to the Moon. Still, Leonov remained determined that, whatever craft was used, he would be one of those chosen to plant the hammer-and-sickle alongside the stars-and-stripes already placed upon their cosmic neighbour. Although there will be one flag fewer than there should have been, he thought. Despite the rivalry between their countries, Leonov was glad to hear that Apollo 13 had returned home safely the week before Soyuz 9 had launched.

Shaking himself out of his daydream, Leonov crossed the last few metres to the hatch, tagging Nikolayev’s arm with his gloved hand. “Now your turn, Andriyan. See if you can beat my time!”

“I’ll try not to spend as much time counting crows as you did,” Nikolayev responded, before pushing himself clear of the hatch and heading off along the Orbital Module the way Leonov had come.

Leonov watched from the hatch, waiting in case Nikolayev should need assistance, but the other cosmonaut had no difficulty in crossing to the other Soyuz. Satisfied that Nikolayev was safe, Leonov took one last, long look at the Earth, then turned and entered the spacecraft. Much easier than last time, he thought to himself. Remembering becoming stuck in Voskhod 2’s airlock and having to partially depressurise his suit still sent a cold shiver down his spine when he thought about it. No such problems here, though. There was plenty of room for his Yastreb suit, and Leonov closed and sealed the exterior hatch with ease before turning the valves to repressurise the compartment.

“I’ll be with you in a moment, Georgi Mikhailovich,” Leonov called over the radio as he watched the pressure dials rise. As the gauges reached nominal pressure, Leonov first carefully removed one glove, then reached up to unseal his faceplate and swing it upwards.

Immediately Leonov slammed the faceplate back into place, fighting to control his stomach. This compartment has been in vacuum for almost an hour, he reminded himself. And still, that smell!

“Georgi, in the name of all that is sacred, isn’t there a bar of soap on this spaceship?!”

s1rPCi-7xG-CXeb1cHf4oxym6mUAJ8kcp547PUNBXT86m_cjmC-e2kdbOaTQJLqq3dDZiE9InyPqy0ramQHyDDTOAJbZVAm_pvTAwm3Cldu7Zop0c6O_IV4pYRhn_IjTp7diEhR0

++++++++++++++++++++

[1] Andriyan Nikolayev was married to Valentina Tereshkova.

Immediately Leonov slammed the faceplate back into place, fighting to control his stomach. This compartment has been in vacuum for almost an hour, he reminded himself. And still, that smell!

Is that a case of Georgy Grechko stinking or organic matter that has been exposed to vacuum defrosting?

Is that a case of Georgy Grechko stinking or organic matter that has been exposed to vacuum defrosting?
This is the result of two men sharing a total of 7.5m^3 of living space, with no shower (I'm not sure they were even able to sponge bath in Soyuz) and questionable toilet facilities. Marinate for a fortnight, and the result is likely to be... fruity.

@nixonshead Well, compliments, I think it's the first time I read technical "stuff" and it's goddamn entertaining.
Thanks!

Post 2: The First Rumble

Post 2: The First Rumble​

- The President’s Daily Brief, 7th May 1970

wPKKtHHWLQt_r8a6-pfvoZerilnYocAN_JHk0Fd939l5jT-kd4LlTBa2vtnLhZ8Z-6iHINnpYjr2Ehrnkb509z06qfw903PJZASvf9AfxNWrdzuCbTdPUif2EemnruPNQjMjM4Nw

USSR

The latest photography from a satellite over Tyuratam shows that the Soviets are still working on their largest space booster—assembled on one of the pads at Complex J and therefore dubbed ‘the J-Bird’ by U.S. observers of Soviet rocketry. The first booster of this type to be tested blew up on the other pad at Complex J last July during an attempt to launch a payload to the Moon. The extensive damage to that pad is still being repaired.

The J-Bird is the Soviet counterpart of the Saturn V, but [REDACTED] it cannot deliver as large a payload to the moon. The difference in performance is in the high-energy propellants in the upper stages of the Saturn.

The Soviets would have to use two J-Birds to put a man on the Moon—a rendezvous would be necessary. Thus, both launch pads at Complex J would be needed. The link-up mission of Soyuz 9 and Soyuz 10, currently in progress, is believed to be making use of a different docking system than previous flights, and could be a test of the system planned for connecting in orbit the components of dual-launch lunar mission. Interplanetary probes and circumlunar missions can be handled by one J-Bird, which could also be used to orbit a permanent space station weighing 100 to 150 tons. An unmanned lunar landing and return mission could also be launched.

Because of the problems the Soviets have been having with their large space boosters, the intelligence community has estimated that they probably will not be able to make a lunar landing before 1973.

++++++++++++++++++++​

With the successful completion of the record-breaking Soyuz 9/10 mission, attention at TsKBEM was focussed back towards the lunar mission, and in particular getting the N-1 into space. The priorities agreed at the Ministerial meeting in May 1970 were quickly confirmed in June via Decree 437-160, directing Mishin’s team to develop the enhanced N-1F version of the booster that would be needed for the expanded L3M lunar mission. This Decree was followed in September by the formal approval of L3M by the Military Industrial Commission, the VPK, making the dual-launch lunar mission the official policy of the Soviet government. TsKBEM would fly the last remaining Zond probe in October, continue development of the 7K-T Soyuz ferry for Phase 1 of Chelomei’s Almaz space station, and begin advanced planning for the MKBS space base, but the overriding priority was now, once again, getting N-1 off the pad and into space.

Following the disastrous loss of N1-5L in July 1969, much work had gone into improving the rocket to avoid such costly failures in the future. In particular, at the insistence of Vladimir Barmin, the Chief Director of launch facilities, the N-1's KORD control system was modified to prevent any engine shutdown command being issued until after the rocket was clear of the pad. The 5L explosion had completely wreaked the pad at Site 110 East, and Barmin wanted to ensure that any future failures would happen well away from his precious facilities.

Other changes included the addition of a fire suppression system in the N-1 Blok-A, contained within large external sleeves added to the outside of the first stage in the most visible change to the rocket’s appearance. Additionally, more robust partitions were added between the engines, with the aim of minimising the damage should one of the NK-15s explode, as had happened on the previous launch. The NK-15s themselves were subjected to more rigorous testing and extra precautions to avoid contamination that might cause “foreign object ingestion” - Kuznetsov’s go-to explanation whenever one of his engines failed.

Despite all of these precautions, the launch of N1-6L on 10th March 1971 ended in another failure after less than a minute in the air. This time all of the Blok-A engines performed flawlessly - and that was the problem. The interaction of thirty engine plumes with the wide base of the rocket, seen now for the first time, set up eddies that generated an unexpected roll force. The four small vernier thrusters of the Blok-A were unable to compensate, and within forty seconds the roll had grown beyond the capabilities of the guidance system, which went into gimbal lock. As the aerodynamic forces began to tear the vehicle apart, the KORD system shut off all engines, and the wrecked vehicle descended to impact the steppe, coming down several kilometres from the launch pad, much to Barmin’s satisfaction[1].

NKmrUIwfoHJZMyC_zWvskku0FSTVR5pNPtjOgs4XaJ-77oqBS8ILXmNbZ50Q3LsuKEPWpt3EQdY4H0nkmQqH7Sk2wDZObzw3lqMJ4k1ybNE1ZeLmfZnqf5v6ArtbgpfEsRGUQnL3

Although hugely disappointing, this latest setback did not derail the programme, and work continued in defining the upgrades that would be needed to support N-1F and the L3M mission. The N1-6L Launch Commission had, for the first time, officially acknowledged that the single-launch N1-L3 approach was impossible to safely execute, and so all the energies of TsKBEM’s lunar project team were firmly focussed on the dual-launch mission. It was decided that the existing L3 spacecraft - seven pairs of Soyuz derived LOKs and LK landers in various stages of assembly - would be flown without crews. This would allow in-space testing of critical subsystems, such as the LOK fuel cell technology and LK propulsion system, which could then be adapted for the larger Lunar Expedition Ship (LEK) planned for L3M. For similar reasons, the LK itself would undertake two Earth orbit test flights, in February 1971 as Kosmos 398 and August 1971 as Kosmos 434, in addition to the Kosmos 379 mission that had already been flown in November 1970. All three of these LK test missions, launched on Soyuz-L rockets, were completed flawlessly, and the remaining LK flight models were held for uncrewed lunar missions under the N-1 flight test programme.

Following the conclusion of the L1 circumlunar programme with the October 1970 launch of Zond 8, L1 chief engineer Yuri Semenov had been put in charge of development of the LEK, and he and his team were eager to take advantage of the huge amount of work already done to accelerate their timetables. Semenov also brought his experiences working with Chelomei’s TsKBM on L1 to bear in discussions with Mishin and his other deputies on the direction of the N-1 programme. In particular, Semenov reported favourably on the rigorous review and testing campaign that had finally cured the Proton rocket of its “childhood illnesses”, and impressed upon Kuznetsov the importance of quality control in the manufacture of the NK-15 engines and their uprated NK-33 derivatives that would power N-1F. Although defensive of the work already done by his bureau in front of the other Chief Designers, Kuznetsov privately took note of Semenov’s suggestions and began instituting additional quality checks at his production plant. Most of these improvements related to the development of the new NK-33 engines, but before they would have their chance to fly there was one mission remaining for the NK-15s.

In late May of 1972, N-1 vehicle No. 7L was finally rolled out of the Assembly and Processing Building at Baikonur’s Site 112 (MIK-112) and into the bright Kazakh sunshine, resting in the cradle of its “Grasshopper” Transporter/Erector. The previous month had witnessed a similar scene, when the 1M1 test vehicle, a full-scale non-functioning model of the rocket, had been hauled out for fitting tests. This, however, was the real deal, the fourth flight model of one of the two largest rockets on the planet. Hauled along twin tracks by two pairs of powerful diesel locomotives, slowly, grudgingly, the wheeled cradle and its 230 tonne cargo were pulled out of the building on the first part of its journey to the Raskat launch complex at Site 110.

As N1-7L emerged into the sunshine, the modifications from the previous N-1 vehicles became visible. Aside from a minor update of the white-and-grey colour scheme, a trained eye would note significant modifications as the rear of the rocket emerged. Firstly, the sharp-edged skirt at the N-1's base was replaced by a short cylindrical section joined to a gentle slope starting higher up the rocket’s flanks, and sported four large auxiliary rockets. The modified base would change the aerodynamic loads, whilst the beefed up roll control engines would be able to counter any forces that might still emerge, preventing a repeat of the roll that had doomed vehicle 6L.

Further aerodynamic refinements were evident as the eye moved upwards along the body of the rocket, with the long housings protecting the propellant lines and fire suppression systems of each stage now coming to a streamlined point instead of the previous boxy termination. This was evident on all three stages of the N-1 proper, as were the increased number of telemetry antennas.

The nose of the rocket looked much the same as on the previous three missions, with the distinctive shroud of the L3 complex terminating an a launch abort system which had proven its reliability on vehicle 5L by pulling the modified L1E “Zond” capsule free of what became one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history. Beneath that shroud lay the L3 complex, consisting of the Blok-G and -D upper stages, a mock-up of the LK lander, and an operational LOK lunar orbiter. This LOK had been fitted out as an uncrewed test vehicle and scientific probe. If successful, it would carry the designation “Zond 9”, a heavier follow-on to the L1 series of Soyuz derived lunar probes that had ended with the launch of Zond 8. If the launch was unsuccessful, the public would never hear of it.

After grinding along five kilometres of Baikonur’s rail network, the four locomotives, now positioned at the opposite end of the Transporter/Erector, began the final push up to Pad 38 of Site 110, the Grasshopper straddling one of the three giant flame trenches extending from the pad itself. Carefully, the giant transport and its moon rocket cargo eased into position, the bottom of the launcher overhanging the wide, circular pit of the launch pad.

At this point the Transporter/Erector was called upon to demonstrate the second half of its name. With a billowing smoke and fumes from the powerful diesel engines, the giant hydraulic rams were forced into their pistons, and the behemoth began to tilt upwards. It took more than an hour to lift the rocket to vertical over the flame pit and bring the adapter ring nestled inside the outer circle of NK-15 engines to rest on the launch pad’s support pads. Once in position, steel latches emerged from the pads and locked the rocket into place. With the launch vehicle secure on its stand, the Grasshopper was disconnected from the rocket’s load bearing hardpoints and the supporting frame was lowered once more, leaving N1-7L a solitary white peak in the late afternoon sun of the Kazakh plain. As the sun set, the rotating service tower swung into place and floodlights lit to allow work to continue through the night.

On the morning of 12th June 1972, the Kazakh steppe was once more shaken by the sound of thirty NK-15 rocket engines firing together. As soon as their combined thrust exceeded the weight of the rocket, N1-7L lifted from Pad 38 and began its ascent to the stars. The redesigned aft skirt and beefed-up control rockets performed perfectly, and as the launcher cleared the tower there was no sign of the roll that had doomed its predecessor. At T+23 seconds the rocket had already out-lived N1-5L. The ascent continued, with the rocket following its pre-programmed pitch and yaw manoeuvres. T+50 seconds had seen the KORD-commanded shutdown of vehicle 6L, but 7L continued to fly true. The clock passed T+68 seconds, making 7L the longest lived N-1 to date, beating the record set by N1-3L, the very first launch, and still there were no signs of trouble. Had they finally defeated the “bobkins” that had plagued the earlier flights?

At T+94.5 seconds, exactly to programme, the six central engines of the Blok-A first stage shut down. The 24 engines of the outer ring kept firing, providing the thrust that would settle the Blok-B propellants and enable its own engines to ignite, whilst also giving a final boost to the rest of the stack. No previous N-1 launch had ever gotten this far, and it was here that the gremlins made one last roll of the dice.

The simultaneous shutdown of the six central Blok-A engines meant a sudden drop in thrust that sent a shockwave through the rocket. Joints were shaken and welds were strained, and deep inside the complex plumbing of the Blok-A propulsion system, pipes feeding oxygen and kerosene to the central engines snapped.

T+100 seconds.

Rocket propellant sprayed inside the aft compartment of the first stage and was quickly ignited on contact with the hot engine parts. A fireball expanded inside the aft compartment, continuing to be fed by the broken propellant lines.

T+105 seconds.

The fire suppression system, which was first added on vehicle 6L and had been upgraded for 7L, triggered and sprayed flame retardant chemicals into the compartment. The flames retreated briefly, but then resurged.

T+110 seconds.

A battle raged inside of Blok-A. A battle between flame and foam, and a battle against the clock. The outer engines felt the heat of the fire, and above them, the giant, almost-empty sphere of the oxygen tank got warmer, and warmer…

T+113 seconds.

With a burst of flame that dwarfed the events lower down, the eight NK-15V engines of Blok-B roared into life. Fourteen million Newtons of thrust hammered against the blast deflectors atop Blok-A’s kerosene tank.

T+118 seconds.

The fire in Blok-A finally reached the outer ring of engines. As engines started to fail, KORD began shutting them down in pairs, keeping the now-dwindling thrust balanced, before finally extinguishing all 24 engines. As the thrust dropped, the still-firing Blok-B separated from the doomed lower stage, pushing them apart a few seconds sooner than anticipated in their programming. The deviation is a minor one though, and as the heat of the fire finally ignites the vapours in Blok-A’s propellant tanks, the rest of N1-7L ascends, phoenix-like, to continue its journey into space.[2]

DMicnEZEj-eGehhUxB0DfaDlDXl4tIeqvU48xH_SMy1LcRCw98KelMesn7k11mu_FoqqGKkH63BXy46f107Ur8rCX8JYBuwauJEuRapZGCFXZL3BvHC8Dq6I-507_qgk7OvNAlZ9

JaDsIcQpdZM8z1-XHukuBIpKWgDkPqgvdWP7_hTmQkkGL9_wR1dJnRm0dndW3IqGAInnQppUsfN23VfTSb4rLx0frtEumlsIRSd1-a0FqsMEb2Yw5cQM2Qzq8DzgtNXNsFGulkx0

++++++++++++++++++++​

[1] IOTL N1-6L launched on 26th June 1971, and failed for the same reasons. The earlier launch ITTL reflects the increased priority without the distraction of preparing for Salyut 1. Without full-scale ground testing (something ruled out by the cost of the necessary facilities), it was impossible to foresee the aerodynamic instabilities that doomed the rocket.

[2] The fire happened as described IOTL on launch 7L, but is believed to have been joined by the explosion of a turbopump on one of the still-firing NK-15s, probably due to contact between the turbine blades and the pump casing. ITTL additional attention to quality - or perhaps just dumb luck - mean that the turbopump explosion doesn’t happen, giving just enough of a window for Blok-B staging to complete before Blok-A ceases to function.

Last edited:
As always the illustrations are amazing, after a very close shave N1-7L is still ascending and hopefully the explosive demise of Blok-A (I assume they have telemetry telling them about the fire?) won't have damaged Blok-B. Of course we're now into the realm of pure AH as no one knows what gremlins were hiding in the remaining stages of the N1 system as none of them were ever put to the test thanks to the repeated failures of the first stage.

Damn, if only this had come out earlier, we could have stolen the renders for SSGL!

All jokes aside, excellent update! I'm dearly hoping that the upper stages work...

Nice update. Especially like that 3rd Image showing the Fire-In-The-Hole Staging Event - though it appears that (unless it's a trick from the flame plume) the Block A is already being torn apart.

And a nice touch on how the US Intelligence Agencies determined N1-5L to be the first launch of the system and not N1-3L - IIRC UK Agencies did spot the 3L launch, but weren't believed.

Those NK-15s. IIRC used a pyrotechnic ignition mode that meant they could only be fired once, which resulted in a lot of Pot Luck when used, especially 30 at a time.

But I thought the uprated variants were known as the NK-33, not NK-30. And that only the Block A massed 130 Tonnes Dry, not the whole N1.

IMHO, N1-7L really was the last chance for the N1 IOTL, so squeaking out one - just barely - successful flight I can see as being essential if there's to be any more.

POGO. I do wonder which is the greater nightmare for these designers. That or Combustion Instability.

But, given that shutting down the centre engines at once appears to have been the originator of this particular episode [1], I have to ask, would sequencing the engine shutdown in pairs help to at least mitigate it?

[1] And I can't help but think if Apollo 6 had a similar episode IOTL. I know it had severe POGO late in the S-1C burn, but not sure what caused that one.

The sense of anxiety about this flight was really well conveyed, really awesome stuff here. Looking forward to more in the future!

But I thought the uprated variants were known as the NK-33, not NK-30. And that only the Block A massed 130 Tonnes Dry, not the whole N1.
Hmm, I'm going to have stern words with my proof-reader. Unfortunately, that's me...

Quite right on both counts, it should be NK-33 and ~230t for the whole stack, not 130. I'll go in and make a quick edit.

A couple of hours after posting, I was sent a new Russian-language reference which includes some new details I'd not seen before, including an interesting table of the various OTL N-1 payloads. It differs from that described in Wikipedia and N-1: For the Moon and Mars, but matches information from TechSpatiales. In particular, it indicates that all four OTL launches included a Blok-D, and 7L carried a real LK, not a dummy. So I'll probably be going back and fixing that soon, at least for the launches pre-dating the PoD.

Thank goodness this isn't Twitter, and we have an Edit function!