These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

There was a previous AmeriNet post by @CosmicAsh; it had a far more primitive, late-90s interface, and was mentioned to be an intranet that's entirely disconnected from the global Internet. Has that all been retconned, as the post was later removed?

Also, previous posts written in "American" (i.e. the Louisianan Declaration of Independence) were also quite different (i.e. less divergent from standard English, and therefore easier to read) from this "Philadelphian" alphabet. Has this been retconned as well?
It's also worth noting that per the Discord, AmeriNet is one of three major internets in the world of TFS, the other two being the British/Imperial internet (not yet specifically named by the timeline AFAIK) and a third major internet with its nexuses in Argentina and Russia. AmeriNet isn't just an intranet for the United States anymore; it can apparently be accessed throughout the Americas aside from the parts within the British Empire. Figured I might as well mention it since it's a pretty big change.

Oddly specific question(s): What characters are in the dominant character encoding(s)? (Is there one to rule all, or are there various incompatible standards?) Would it by 6-, 7- or 8-bit? Consider punctuation marks and currency symbols: \ | { } were mostly included in OTL ASCII for compatibility with certain programming languages, and ` ~ ^ for "international use", whereas ¼½¢ were omitted despitebeing on typewriter keyboards. I'd imagine that the pound sign would definitely be a mainstay instead of the dollar sign.
Bringing this up. If you don't mind, I might make ASCII variants for TTL British, American and Russian standards (I assume there'd be different encodings for each, given the fragmented nature of TTL's internets). A few questions to ask:
- Is punctuation different in TTL? Have any new punctuation marks been invented TTL (like sarcasm marks or rhetorical question marks) that do not exist OTL?
- Does Russian still have OTL's spelling reforms that eliminated іѵѣ and most instances of ъ, and added ё? Or have different reforms been passed?

It's also worth noting that per the Discord, AmeriNet is one of three major internets in the world of TFS, the other two being the British/Imperial internet (not yet specifically named by the timeline AFAIK) and a third major internet with its nexuses in Argentina and Russia. AmeriNet isn't just an intranet for the United States anymore; it can apparently be accessed throughout the Americas aside from the parts within the British Empire. Figured I might as well mention it since it's a pretty big change.
Interesting, considering that AmeriNet is noted to be "maintained by the Corporation of the Americas, a continental partnership from the United States to Argentina", and that the most-read AmeriNet article is "Hogan to meet Argentinian President". Does that mean Argentina is a hub for both AmeriNet and the Russian/Argentinian internet? And since Argentina is a Great Power and the Americas' strongest economy, does it have amicable relations with the United States, or at least a decent degree of influence over the Hermit Republic?

Last edited:
Do we know the mains electricity & AC power plugs and sockets used by countries of TTL?
Moreover, it would be interesting to know what major payment processing/ credit card networks (such as VISA, Mastercard, AmEx...) exist in TTL.

Interesting, considering that AmeriNet is noted to be "maintained by the Corporation of the Americas, a continental partnership from the United States to Argentina", and that the most-read AmeriNet article is "Hogan to meet Argentinian President". Does that mean Argentina is a hub for both AmeriNet and the Russian/Argentinian internet? And since Argentina is a Great Power and the Americas' strongest economy, does it have amicable relations with the United States, or at least a decent degree of influence over the Hermit Republic?
all this talk about internets remind of this map by TrueBananakonda when they're four internets

all this talk about internets remind of this map by TrueBananakonda when they're four internets
Nice map! And I do wonder how easy (or difficult) it is for users from one regional 'Net to access another - is dedicated software (i.e. VPNs or Tor-esque browsers) or power user knowledge (i.e. how to configure network ports, IP addresses, proxies, etc.) needed, or is it more on the level of "Googling an online tutorial"?

The idea is just so alien to OTL sensibilities - for all the talk of the Internet being increasingly partitioned between the global and Chinese networks, the firewalled Chinese internet is still very much part of the global system, having been built using the same foundational protocols (HTTP, SMTP, IMAP, IPv4/6, MAC, etc.). Global users can access Chinese sites just like any other website, and the reverse is true in China for non-censored foreign sites; even accessing censored sites ("jumping the Great Firewall") is quite straightforward with VPNs. Hell, even the North Koreans' Kwangmyong intranet still uses IPv4, and their domestic Red Star OS is just a cheap Linux fork.

What does it actually mean for the Internet to be partitioned into three - a different set of basic protocols underlying each regional network? That would mean in order to be distributed globally, every browser, router, server and operating system would have to maintain compatibility with all three protocol stacks; as well as having converters to translate data transmissions using one stack's protocols to the other two. How much extra time, money and effort would this cost Internet service providers, IT corporations, hardware manufacturers, web developers and content creators in practice?

Last edited:
I have some additional questions:

- I can't see the Crown Dependencies on the Structure of the British Empire - I'm assuming their status is roughly the same in TTL as in OTL, is that the case?
- Also, considering the not so minor differences between OFC New England and TFS New England, how would you compare them? Is OFC New England a more ideal and TFS New England a more dystopian version for you or maybe there's no specific difference between the two and they're just alternate versions from two timelines?

- Crown Dependencies, as we know them, don't really exist. They are just a separate administrative region now with a local parliament and representation in Westminister.
- OFC New England is one that was bourne from the top down. TFS New England is one that was construction from the bottom up.

Pretty good American dialect here. On the other hand, I can barely understand what in the blue hell it says.
This isn’t English, it’s ✨Philadelphian✨ (named after a certain Revolution-era inhabitant of that city who created it as a phonetic writing system).

Indeed, Philadelphic (Filɋdelfik) is considered its own language now. The spelling reforms (including the changes offered by Benjamin Franklin), have a long and storied history in the United States, from well before the revolution. This is an overhaul of the old "American," which I admit was rather rushed, in place of a new script that was proposed at the time.

Interestingly, it looks like the Americans refer to the orthography as "Philidelphic," if my reading of it is correct, and that they have a version for Spanish as well. Do we know when the spelling reform was implemented?

Also, I just noticed the Lord Quincy plot line was foreshadowed in one of the little side boxes in the BBC article about Napoleon. Great stuff!

This is correct. The spelling reforms were implimented first in Philadelphia schools in the 1760s, which quickly became a model across the colonies, and then country. It was in the 1830s when, a desire to standardise school systems, the wildy successful "Philadelphia Model" was adopted.

I can barely read it through the special characters. I love it.
It seems like you've used Benjamin Franklin's alphabet, but with ꜵ for /ɔ:/, ɋ for /a:/, and ђ for /ð/. You've also added casing, although it's not quite consistent (you vary between S and Ʃ for the capital form of ʃ/s, which are different contextual forms of the same letter in Franklin's orthography), and it'd make sense to keep consistency between capitals of h and ђիⱨ.

Indeed, there are some modifications there. Some of the script I use to generate this is... lacking to say the least. I am attempting to work out the bugs in the software (The S and Ʃ issue has been fixed, I had a bug in the code).

There was a previous AmeriNet post by @CosmicAsh; it had a far more primitive, late-90s interface, and was mentioned to be an intranet that's entirely disconnected from the global Internet. Has that all been retconned, as the post was later removed?

Also, previous posts written in "American" (i.e. the Louisianan Declaration of Independence) were also quite different (i.e. less divergent from standard English, and therefore easier to read) from this "Philadelphian" alphabet. Has this been retconned as well?

This layout can be understood to have been used in the 1990s, but is not the main one used today. This would have been the very early American intranet used only in the country. AmeriNet is a western hemispheric internet system, used by most of the countries.

Yes. They will be updated along the way to match the new changes.

I wonder what happened to the prominent "report terrorist incident" link from the OG AmeriNet?

Yet another incredible insight into the world of OFS, as always, @CosmicAsh!

Thank you! This verbiage has been softened, but you can still report incidents using the AmeriNet interface.

I believe this discussion may have been after this post was made, or was limited to #lore-development.

AmeriNet = North, South America
Internet = Imperial countries, most of Europe, most of Africa, some of North/South America
Vebsoyedineniye = Russian Empire
Tsūshin Nettowāku= Japan

(Some others as well, the development is ongoing as I research more).

I'd actually like to read the Philadelphian alphabet.

wQPS1Pm.png

(I hope this is what you meant)

Bringing this up. If you don't mind, I might make ASCII variants for TTL British, American and Russian standards (I assume there'd be different encodings for each, given the fragmented nature of TTL's internets). A few questions to ask:
- Is punctuation different in TTL? Have any new punctuation marks been invented TTL (like sarcasm marks or rhetorical question marks) that do not exist OTL?
- Does Russian still have OTL's spelling reforms that eliminated іѵѣ and most instances of ъ, and added ё? Or have different reforms been passed?

- Punctuation remains the same.
- Russian spelling reforms are pending discussions with the lore development team

there should totally be a English -> Philadelfik translator thingy

I have one for internal use, I am not sure I can release it.

Do we know the mains electricity & AC power plugs and sockets used by countries of TTL?
Moreover, it would be interesting to know what major payment processing/ credit card networks (such as VISA, Mastercard, AmEx...) exist in TTL.

This is a post I've wanted to make for quiet some time!! Stay tuned...

Nice map! And I do wonder how easy (or difficult) it is for users from one regional 'Net to access another - is dedicated software (i.e. VPNs or Tor-esque browsers) or power user knowledge (i.e. how to configure network ports, IP addresses, proxies, etc.) needed, or is it more on the level of "Googling an online tutorial"?

The idea is just so alien to OTL sensibilities - for all the talk of the Internet being increasingly partitioned between the global and Chinese networks, the firewalled Chinese internet is still very much part of the global system, having been built using the same foundational protocols (HTTP, SMTP, IMAP, IPv4/6, MAC, etc.). Global users can access Chinese sites just like any other website, and the reverse is true in China for non-censored foreign sites; even accessing censored sites ("jumping the Great Firewall") is quite straightforward with VPNs. Hell, even the North Koreans' Kwangmyong intranet still uses IPv4, and their domestic Red Star OS is just a cheap Linux fork.

What does it actually mean for the Internet to be partitioned into three - a different set of basic protocols underlying each regional network? That would mean in order to be distributed globally, every browser, router, server and operating system would have to maintain compatibility with all three protocol stacks; as well as having converters to translate data transmissions using one stack's protocols to the other two. How much extra time, money and effort would this cost Internet service providers, IT corporations, hardware manufacturers, web developers and content creators in practice?

Argentina exists primarily on AmeriNet. The key difference here is one can understand the internet as being little "spheres" that do communicate with each other. There are different protocols developed in different countries, and make the backbone of that internet's overall structure. And you have rightfully pointed out the complexity and level of nightmare that this would bring - however this is merely how a much less interconnected world has undertaken its development. Separate systems grew independently from another, and severability from the wider networks became a positive, not a negative. A good analogy that someone on the discord server used, and which I agree with, is that one can imagine the internet in the world of TFS as a postal system. Inside your network, everything works pretty smoothly and fine. Once you attempt to do things outside of your network... things get tricker and more expensive. But it's still doable.

I would really like to learn more about how the US spiraled into newspeak totalitarianism

I would be hestitant to call it "Newspeak," when it is a phonetic alphabet that has gone through natural lingustic drift. As for it being totalitarian - I should have more on that soon.

Governorates of the Russian Empire
byivgo3.png

English Version

The Governorates of the Russian Empire are the first level subdivisions of the Russian Empire. Implemented during the Law of the Hundreds in the 1940s, the new system was a complete overhaul of the Empire's local government structure. At the time of the reform, the Russian Empire was composed of governorates, oblasts, krais, vassals, protectorates, and a viceroyalty. Each of these units were further subdivided to various second and third level divisions. The Law of the Hundreds established two major first-level divisions, autonomous cities (the six largest cities of the Russian Empire, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Yekaterinburg, Tsaritsyn, and Irkutsk) and governorates. Each governorate was given its own locally-elected Duma, with a governor and vice-governor appointed by the Tsar. Each city was given control of it's own affairs, with a directly-elected mayor and an elected city Duma.

Each governorate was divided into Uyezds, which were then further divided into volosts, which are primarily rural localities that have a separate taxation structure. Urban and built-up areas of Uzyeds are divided into municipalities and cities, with each uyezd having at least one to manage the affairs of the volosts. Only municipalities and cities have elections, while volosts are managed directly by the government of the uyezd. Uyezd governments are appointed by the elected Governorate Duma, with little input from the national Duma or the Imperial Government.

Since the Law of the Hundreds, few changes have been made to the boundaries of the Governorates, which were intended by the law to remain unchanging. Uyzeds, volosts, municipality, and city borders often change (with the exception of the six autonomous cities).

In Central Asia, there are a further six subdivisions outside of the governorate and autonomous city system. These are the protectorates, which three are under the direct control of the Tsar, but left to have significant local autonomy and their own government structures (Ashgabat, Syr Darya, and Samarkand). There are another three, Khiva, Bukhara, and Kokand, which retain their systems of government prior to annexation, and act as quasi-independent realms. All six of these territories limit Russian settlement, and Russian laws do not fully extend to these regions, nor does taxation.

The Governorates of the Russian Empire are the first level subdivisions of the Russian Empire. Implemented during the Law of the Hundreds in the 1940s, the new system was a complete overhaul of the Empire's local government structure. At the time of the reform, the Russian Empire was composed of governorates, oblasts, krais, vassals, protectorates, and a viceroyalty. Each of these units were further subdivided to various second and third level divisions. The Law of the Hundreds established two major first-level divisions, autonomous cities (the six largest cities of the Russian Empire, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Yekaterinburg, Tsaritsyn, and Irkutsk) and governorates. Each governorate was given its own locally-elected Duma, with a governor and vice-governor appointed by the Tsar. Each city was given control of it's own affairs, with a directly-elected mayor and an elected city Duma.
Very attractive map. It's not perfect (the Russian version is rather finicky regarding gender and the letter ь but overall decent), but it's one of the few maps really delving into alternate Russian administrative divisions and it's stellar in that regard.

It's really interesting, personally speaking, that some of the governorates' names are derived from very small towns IOTL (including the Bashkir Aznakayevo, which no longer even exists IOTL). Certain governorates in the western part of the country seem rather heavily broken up (I mean, Красныйская губерния sounds a bit unfortunate). I guess cossacks got shafted in the long run?

The Governorates of the Russian Empire
The Russian is a bit rough on this one.
  • Each instance of "губерния" is written with a completely unnecessary stress mark.
  • The autonomous cities are labeled as "Москва Город" and so on, while "Город Москва" should be the correct form for "Moscow City" in Russian.
  • "Бельцыкая" should be "Бельцкая".
  • "Волгская" should be "Волжская".
  • "Гундоровкаская" should be "Гундоровская".
  • "Калугаская" should be "Калужская".
  • "Рязаньская" should be "Рязанская".
  • "Кубаньская" should be "Кубанская".
  • "Кутаиская" should be "Кутаисская".
  • "Тбилисиская" should be "Тбилисская", or "Тифлисская" if Tbilisi is still called Tiflis ITTL. (And I assume it is since Yerevan seems to have its old name.)
  • "Эриваньская" should be "Эриванская". (Or "Ереванская" if it's called Yerevan and not Erivan.)
  • "Астраханьская" should be "Астраханская".
  • "Гороховецская" should be "Гороховецкая".
  • "Казаньская" should be "Казанская".
  • "Еланьская" should be "Еланская".
  • "Тюменьская" should be "Тюменская".
  • "Читанская" should be "Читинская".
  • "Олёкмаская" should be "Олёкминская".
  • "Индигиркаская" should be "Индигирская".
  • "Колымаская" should be "Колымская".
  • "Анадырьская" should be "Анадырская".
  • "Сырдарья" should be one word. Else you get cheese (сыр) and the name Daria.
  • "Хива ханство" should be "Хивинское ханство" ("Хива" as it is is not an adjective).
  • "Бухарское Эмират" should be "Бухарский эмират" (incorrect gender for adjective and unnecessary capitalisation).
  • "Ашгабат" isn't incorrect per se, but this city is traditionally known as "Ашхабад" in Russian. And before that (before 1919) it was known as "Асхабад".
This should be it. You can still double check me if you try googling some of those spellings and compare results.

Very attractive map. It's not perfect (the Russian version is rather finicky regarding gender and the letter ь but overall decent), but it's one of the few maps really delving into alternate Russian administrative divisions and it's stellar in that regard.

It's really interesting, personally speaking, that some of the governorates' names are derived from very small towns IOTL (including the Bashkir Aznakayevo, which no longer even exists IOTL). Certain governorates in the western part of the country seem rather heavily broken up (I mean, Красныйская губерния sounds a bit unfortunate). I guess cossacks got shafted in the long run?

The Russian is a bit rough on this one.
  • Each instance of "губерния" is written with a completely unnecessary stress mark.
  • The autonomous cities are labeled as "Москва Город" and so on, while "Город Москва" should be the correct form for "Moscow City" in Russian.
  • "Бельцыкая" should be "Бельцкая".
  • "Волгская" should be "Волжская".
  • "Гундоровкаская" should be "Гундоровская".
  • "Калугаская" should be "Калужская".
  • "Рязаньская" should be "Рязанская".
  • "Кубаньская" should be "Кубанская".
  • "Кутаиская" should be "Кутаисская".
  • "Тбилисиская" should be "Тбилисская", or "Тифлисская" if Tbilisi is still called Tiflis ITTL. (And I assume it is since Yerevan seems to have its old name.)
  • "Эриваньская" should be "Эриванская". (Or "Ереванская" if it's called Yerevan and not Erivan.)
  • "Астраханьская" should be "Астраханская".
  • "Гороховецская" should be "Гороховецкая".
  • "Казаньская" should be "Казанская".
  • "Еланьская" should be "Еланская".
  • "Тюменьская" should be "Тюменская".
  • "Читанская" should be "Читинская".
  • "Олёкмаская" should be "Олёкминская".
  • "Индигиркаская" should be "Индигирская".
  • "Колымаская" should be "Колымская".
  • "Анадырьская" should be "Анадырская".
  • "Сырдарья" should be one word. Else you get cheese (сыр) and the name Daria.
  • "Хива ханство" should be "Хивинское ханство" ("Хива" as it is is not an adjective).
  • "Бухарское Эмират" should be "Бухарский эмират" (incorrect gender for adjective and unnecessary capitalisation).
  • "Ашгабат" isn't incorrect per se, but this city is traditionally known as "Ашхабад" in Russian. And before that (before 1919) it was known as "Асхабад".
This should be it. You can still double check me if you try googling some of those spellings and compare results.

This map was already checked by a Russian speaker. I'll send these on to him to get input on it to determine the best course of action.

As for the history... the west is far more fragmented and broken up due to the increase in population, industrialisation, and population movements of the time. Relatively minor towns and cities did grow to become extremely large owing to their positions geographically, or the expanding industrial belt. The Cossacks themselves were absolutely rolled over by the ever-expanding urban centres and suburban development.