Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
QGIS has just added some raster-based styling options. Here's my first attempt at something more natural looking, mimicking a hand-drawn and -coloured map.

Watercolour-Styling-Test-1-thumbnail.png
Click for link to larger picture.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, the Canadas, Australasia, and the Cape, by Sārthākā
kmi2Hnc.jpg

In 1839, Lord Durham told Parliament that he would personally support the integration of Canada into the United Kingdom with its own representative MPs, but because of the divisions such an idea would make, he pushed Responsible Government as the first choice of action in his report. What if Durham's Idea Succeeded? In 1842, Canadian MPs enter Westminster for the first time in history, creating a cascade effect, eventually leading to the federalization of the United Kingdom.

Thoughts and comments?

kmi2Hnc.jpg

In 1839, Lord Durham told Parliament that he would personally support the integration of Canada into the United Kingdom with its own representative MPs, but because of the divisions such an idea would make, he pushed Responsible Government as the first choice of action in his report. What if Durham's Idea Succeeded? In 1842, Canadian MPs enter Westminster for the first time in history, creating a cascade effect, eventually leading to the federalization of the United Kingdom.

Thoughts and comments?
"the the Canadas"
Also, "Aboriginal" isn't a single language, it should be "Australian Aboriginal languages". And if you want to include those,it'd beworth adding Canadian aboriginal lcanuages like Cree and Inuit.

kmi2Hnc.jpg

Thoughts and comments?

Why use the Airforce Ensign in Australia?
The flag used for Cape is the Flag of South Africa, which does not work because the coat of arms in the flag has the arms of the Cape, Natal, Orange Free State and Transvaal.
Also, considering Natal was the OTL most pro-British part of South Africa, wouldn't it make sense for it to be integrated as well?

Last edited:
Cross-posting from the Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

So, I was looking through the Q-Bam Historical Map thread page by page and the recurring theme is asking for a list of what is there.
I copied everything (and from various DA pages), added dates to enable it to be sorted and saved it to my Google Drive.
This is the link;-
SORTED [to 26.02.2022] HISTORIC QBAMS

There are 343 dated Q-Bam and patches, 3 non Q-Bam and 60 undated Q-Bam patches by the following creators;-

@LSCatilina, @Sharklord1, @Crazy Boris, @Drex (including as dinospain), @Ashtagon , @onehellofabird, @Viralworld, @Pressedflowers, @JG Online, @DaniCBP, @endy776, @venezuelan1 reich, @Oliveia, @Yanranay, @TatoGar, @Укрорейх, @tungsterismapping, @damien_fisher, @videomappingyeast, @polandstronk, @Entrerriano, @False Dmitri, @Valdore, @Kikkomaan, @I_dont_speak_baguette, @ndeignacio, @Prof_Chemical, @artificialCartographer, @OxSpace, @Gutabloth, @Xasper H., @Lightsaber, @BonkeyDonk, @Spinovenator, @Sphenodon, @PecuTheGreat, @Dodolulupepe, @Summer, @THE Jake Paul

If anyone does not want to be included in this repository, please let me know.
Alternatively, if you have maps (Q-Bam only) that would be useful to add in, also let me know.

Don't forget these were all made using the Q-Bam that was current WHEN MADE and may need some work to adjust to the current one.

Imperial State of Ctesiphon, by Sārthākā
CTESIPHON CITY CITY.png

Like this is my map, inspired by the micro-state series on Reddit. i decided to create my own take on them, for Asian statelets instead.

During the Arab Conquest of Iranshahr, the Siege of Ctesiphon proved to be more than a little costly for the Arabs, and instead, most of the army decided to overtake the capital of the Iranians, leaving two armies behind to complete the siege. The young Yazdegerd III continued the resistance against the arabs until 648 AD, after 11 years of Siege, the Rashidun Caliph, Uthman, eager to see the end of the pointless siege, offered the city a deal. It would continue its existence as a city-state, independent of everything in administrative, legal and diplomatic matters - with the caliphate agreeing to supply the city with vital economic and day to day goods, in return for the end of the siege and the Shah agreeing to put down his claims to the rest of the Iranian plateau. Yazdegerd III initially said no, but his generals, and populace, tired of 11 years of siege, conducted a coup, removed Yazdegerd III from power, and installed his 12 year old son, Peroz III as the Shah. Peroz III agreed to the Caliph's demands. Showing a confidence only present in young boys, Peroz III demanded that his city would be exempt from conversion as well. Uthman, who had more pressing concerns as the first Fitna continued to near, agreed. Ctesiphon as such, continued its existence as the sole bastion of Zoroastrianism in the Old Iranian West.

Through the upheavals that followed, the small city state of ctesiphon remained neutral, only engaging in trade, and due to its effective position as a riverine trading port, most of the powers of Mesopotamia that followed the Rashiduns upheld the Rashidun-Ctesiphon Treaty. Even the Mongols, who brutally sacked Baghdad only ~30 kilometer north of Ctesiphon accepted the treaty after Shah Yazdegerd IX agreed to Mongol vassalage. It was only with the coming of Timur that things changed. In 1400, Timur laid siege to Ctesiphon, fully intent on conquering the city and bringing an end to the last bastion of Zoroastrianism. Led by the small state's greatest monarch, Shah Khosrow VII, the city resisted siege for years until Ottoman distractions forced Timur to let go off the siege. In return for the inadvertent Ottoman aid to the small city, the small yet rich city state supplied and funded Sultan Mehmed I during the Ottoman Civil War 1402 - 1413. This funding was never really forgotten by the Ottomans, and when Iraq was conquered by the Ottomans, they allowed the city state to continue its existence if the city state accepted the Ottoman Sultans as suzerains, which the city state did.

During ww1, the City state punched far above its weight, with the Siege of Ctesiphon (1916 - 1917) delaying the Commonwealth troops enough that the Ottoman Sixth Army was able to retreat in good order. The Imperial Azvaran Troops that formed the core of the small professional army of the state managed to prove itself to be professionally superior during the battle, forming the first modern basis of modern Ctesiphonian Nationalism. After WW1, the British temporarily deposed the Shah and annexed the city state into their mesopotamian mandate, but upon the independence of Iraq, the city state was restored again, with the British maintaining an air and military base in the city - which would become a core component of the Allied Invasion of Iraq in Ww2. Continuing its history of being a trading haven, during the Cold War, the state continued to become a tax haven. During the 2003 American Invasion of Iraq, the Royal Residence of the Ctesiphoni Shah was bombed by accident, leading to a small crisis, which was defused by the Americans paying for the damages. Today, the city state remains a tax haven in the middle of the Iraqi nation, prosperous by all standards and metrics.

Thoughts and comments?

Like this is my map, inspired by the micro-state series on Reddit. i decided to create my own take on them, for Asian statelets instead.

During the Arab Conquest of Iranshahr, the Siege of Ctesiphon proved to be more than a little costly for the Arabs, and instead, most of the army decided to overtake the capital of the Iranians, leaving two armies behind to complete the siege. The young Yazdegerd III continued the resistance against the arabs until 648 AD, after 11 years of Siege, the Rashidun Caliph, Uthman, eager to see the end of the pointless siege, offered the city a deal. It would continue its existence as a city-state, independent of everything in administrative, legal and diplomatic matters - with the caliphate agreeing to supply the city with vital economic and day to day goods, in return for the end of the siege and the Shah agreeing to put down his claims to the rest of the Iranian plateau. Yazdegerd III initially said no, but his generals, and populace, tired of 11 years of siege, conducted a coup, removed Yazdegerd III from power, and installed his 12 year old son, Peroz III as the Shah. Peroz III agreed to the Caliph's demands. Showing a confidence only present in young boys, Peroz III demanded that his city would be exempt from conversion as well. Uthman, who had more pressing concerns as the first Fitna continued to near, agreed. Ctesiphon as such, continued its existence as the sole bastion of Zoroastrianism in the Old Iranian West.

Through the upheavals that followed, the small city state of ctesiphon remained neutral, only engaging in trade, and due to its effective position as a riverine trading port, most of the powers of Mesopotamia that followed the Rashiduns upheld the Rashidun-Ctesiphon Treaty. Even the Mongols, who brutally sacked Baghdad only ~30 kilometer north of Ctesiphon accepted the treaty after Shah Yazdegerd IX agreed to Mongol vassalage. It was only with the coming of Timur that things changed. In 1400, Timur laid siege to Ctesiphon, fully intent on conquering the city and bringing an end to the last bastion of Zoroastrianism. Led by the small state's greatest monarch, Shah Khosrow VII, the city resisted siege for years until Ottoman distractions forced Timur to let go off the siege. In return for the inadvertent Ottoman aid to the small city, the small yet rich city state supplied and funded Sultan Mehmed I during the Ottoman Civil War 1402 - 1413. This funding was never really forgotten by the Ottomans, and when Iraq was conquered by the Ottomans, they allowed the city state to continue its existence if the city state accepted the Ottoman Sultans as suzerains, which the city state did.

During ww1, the City state punched far above its weight, with the Siege of Ctesiphon (1916 - 1917) delaying the Commonwealth troops enough that the Ottoman Sixth Army was able to retreat in good order. The Imperial Azvaran Troops that formed the core of the small professional army of the state managed to prove itself to be professionally superior during the battle, forming the first modern basis of modern Ctesiphonian Nationalism. After WW1, the British temporarily deposed the Shah and annexed the city state into their mesopotamian mandate, but upon the independence of Iraq, the city state was restored again, with the British maintaining an air and military base in the city - which would become a core component of the Allied Invasion of Iraq in Ww2. Continuing its history of being a trading haven, during the Cold War, the state continued to become a tax haven. During the 2003 American Invasion of Iraq, the Royal Residence of the Ctesiphoni Shah was bombed by accident, leading to a small crisis, which was defused by the Americans paying for the damages. Today, the city state remains a tax haven in the middle of the Iraqi nation, prosperous by all standards and metrics.

Thoughts and comments?
I'm slightly surprised that Britain deposed the Shah, instead of just requiring him to accept British suzerainty and a British 'Resident' as advisor.

In this timeline, was there no migration of Zoroastrian refugees from Islamic persecution into India?

An Oldie from the vaults;

GREATER MORAVIA 2-by Bob Hope.png

Origin of Great Moravia

The Moravian centres of power were the cities of Mikulčice, Staré Město and Nitra.
When the Slavic Moravian tribe formed, is unknown but it is probable that the earliest unification was under Samo's leadership in the 5th century. Written records specifically about the historical regions of Moravia and Slovakia date to 822, however archaeology can trace its history back to the 8th century with castle complexes in Mikulčice, Staré Město and Olomouc dominating the territory of Moravia. Other areas emerged after the destruction of the Avars in the early 9th century.
Conversion to Christianity led to church building under the auspices of the Diocese of Passau after 800.
At some point, 817-822, the Moravian tribes recognized the sovereignty of the East Frankish King, Louis the German, over their territory and consequently attended the parliament in Frankfurt.

Foundation of the State

The exact date of the Moravian state or empire founding is uncertain. Formation began about 790 and was completed about 831 under Prince Mojmir I. After uniting the Moravians under his rule, Mojmir mass baptised the Moravian ruling class in 831.
In 833, he deposed the pro-Frankish Prince Pribina of Nitra, putting Moravia in opposition to the Frankish Empire. The merger of these two states created the "Great Moravian" state.
In August 846, Louis the German marched with a Frankish army, deposing Mojmir and installing his nephew Rastislav as the new Moravian ruler, from whom Louis expected greater loyalty as a vassal. It is probable that Mojmir I became a threat to King Louis due to his policy towards becoming a sovereign Christian-Slavic Kingdom or as part of an overall offensive against the neighbouring Slavs.

In the early 850s Rastislav began to pursue an increasingly independent policy. In 855 Louis the German moved against the Moravians with a Frankish army, but was defeated at Rastislav's fortress. Rastislav was able to suspend tribute payments to the East Franks and drove the Bavarian clergy out of his country. He tried to withdraw his country from the Frankish sphere of influence with the help of Byzantium and the Eastern Church.
After Pope Nicholas I failed to comply with Rastislav's request to send Slavic-speaking priests to establish his own Moravian church, Rastislav turned to the Byzantine Emperor Michael III in 862.
He responded to the Prince and sent the Byzantine priests and scholars Cyril and Methodius , who arrived in 863. Cyril, using the Glagolitic alphabet created a written Slavonic language which was introduced as a liturgical language.

In 864, Louis the German again attacked and forced Rastislav to surrender. Although the Bavarian clerics could now return to Moravia, the activities of Cyril and Methods as well as the Slavic liturgy continued to exist. Cyril and Methodius went to Rome in 867 to have their Slavic liturgical language legitimized by the Pope, Hadrian II who recognised the Slavic liturgical language as equal to Latin, Greek and Hebrew. Cyril, later, died in Rome, but his brother, Methodius was made Archbishop of Moravia in 870. He could not return to Moravia until 873 after three years of detention in Bavaria.
Meantime, Louis had, in 869, been defeated by Ratislav in another punitive attack on Moravia. Louis used Ratislav's co-regent and nephew Svatopluk I to depose Rastislav 870 and occupy Moravia. In 871, after Svatopluk was also accused, by Louis, of betrayal, deposed and deported, the Moravian Prince Slavomir led a successful anti-Frankish revolt. As a result Svatopluk was released and was able to prevail again as Ruler of Moravia.
Svatopluk, in 871, destroyed the Frankish army of occupation and, in 874, concluded a peace agreement with Louis, which allowed him, while maintaining loyalty to the Franks and paying tribute, a large degree of freedom of action.

After this agreement Svatopluk began a rapid expansion of the Moravian Empire by war and marital politics. In the period from 874 to 884 he was able to add Wislania, Pannonia, Theissland, Silesia, Bohemia and Lusatia to Moravia by either conquest or marriage. The enlarged Kingdom comprised about 350,000 square kilometres with about one million inhabitants. Attacks by the new East Frankish King Arnulf of Carinthia and the nomadic Magyars in the years 892-893 were successfully resisted by Svatopluk.
The Church policy he pursued was oriented to the Vatican. In 880 Svatopluk asked that Great Moravia be put directly under the auspices of the Holy See. In response, the Pope recognised Moravia as an independent state.
After the death of Archbishop Methodius in 885, at the request of Pope Stephen V, Svatopluk forbade the retention of the Old Slavonic liturgy and replaced it with the Latin liturgy followed a mass expulsion of the Moravian priests who wanted to retain the Slavic liturgy.

Decline and Fall

In 894 Prince Svatopluk I died, his successor on the Moravian throne was his eldest son Mojmir II . He was immediately confronted with a series of serious problems, such as the disengagement of conquered territories, pressure from the Eastern Franks, the ever-increasing Magyar danger and domestic conflicts.
Mojmir II managed to handle this skilfully from the beginning. In 894, he concluded a peace treaty of vassalage with Arnulf of Carinthia, in order to secure the throne.

Moravian Bishop Wiching had defected to King Arnulf so the Moravians possessed no recognized Bishop. Mojmir II requested the renewal of the Moravian Archbishopric from the Pope who responded positively, sending Archbishop John and Bishops Benedict and Daniel to Moravia.
In the year 895, the Bohemians broke away from Moravia. Mojmir II led a futile reconquest campaign against them. In the year 896, with the permission of Mojmir II, the Magyars settled in Theissland and Mojmir II undertook joint raids with them against the Franks. In 897 the Sorbs also declared independence. In 899 Moravia was riven by a civil war between Mojmir II and his brother Svatopluk II in Nitra during which the Bavarian army freed the defeated Svatopluk II and brought him to Bavaria.

In 900, the Magyars occupied Pannonia after a campaign in Italy and began to settle in the Carpathian Basin. The increasing self-confidence of the Magyars forced Moravia to act. At the beginning of 901 Mojmir II concluded a peace treaty with the Bavarians, with their help, in 902, fought off a Magyar attack from Pannonia.
In the next few years, stability in the central Danubian region, which had arisen with the mutual peace agreement, also favored Bavarian-Moravian trade. In 904, however, the Magyar Prince Kurszán was murdered at a banquet in Bavaria. Magyar revenge was directed not only against the Bavarians, but also against Mojmir II. The Moravian army was destroyed by the Magyar in a single battle at Nitra in 905-906, in the course of which Mojmir II died.

As a result of this disaster, the Moravia sunk into chaos and pagan uprisings. The devastating defeat of Bavaria at the Battle of Pressburg in 907, meant the final fall of Moravia which was later taken by Bohemia.

There was a map someways back in the thread showing the Tibet area in all it's ultra-fragmented pre-modern glory. It doesn't come up with the search term "Tibet": does anyone else remember it and (hopefully) have a link?

df0ryhn-e1b0d998-fcae-4715-9b21-2ea9fecf4502.png

A map of a more perfect world. A labelled version is coming soon. Thoughts? Questions? Feedback?
on a more serious note, IDK if this is a "more perfect" world, because we don't all have the same visions of things, and i could myself already say that from my PoV, some of those things are not perfect, or at first glance seemingly worse than OTL.

on a more serious note, IDK if this is a "more perfect" world, because we don't all have the same visions of things, and i could myself already say that from my PoV, some of those things are not perfect, or at first glance seemingly worse than OTL.
I've tried to be as neutral as possible, but in the end this is all my opinion. It's not meant to be 100% perfect, just better overall. Basically A More Perfect Union applied everywhere.

Last edited:

A map of a more perfect world. A labelled version is coming soon. Thoughts? Questions? Feedback?
The OP is either American or Australian, because that’s the only 2 nationalities I can think of that would see this world as better than the current one. Or Greek, I suppose, but they’d be living in a country where half the people are Turks and I dunno if I’ve met a single Greek that would like that idea.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

Many of these countries can't stand alone.
Greenland and Faeoe Islands? They can't survive without heavy subsistince
These smaller countires in Central Asia would also get end up eated by either Russia or China.

Beware when you present a map of a "perfect world". It has a tendency to heat up the minds.
If you are just looking for visual/aesthetic "perfection" in your map it will be tolerated. But that doesn't seem to be your case here...

Status
Not open for further replies.