Saturday Morning AU Blocks

Exactly what it says. This is the thread for talking about AUs of SatAM blocks.

Fantasy schedules included

Lets Go!
Thanks for making this thread. I think I've got a good schedule.

What if Fox Kids was revived with Fox Corporation's IPs?

7:00: Biscuit (Bento Box Entertainment)
7:30: Frog and Toad (Bento Box Entertainment)
8:00: Juan Bobo (Bento Box Entertainment)
8:30: Let's Go! Anpanman (TMS Entertainment; English Dub)
9:00: Wolfboy and the Everything Factory (Bento Box Entertainment) (Television Premiere)
9:30: Bloom County (Bento Box Entertainment/Miramax Television/Spyglass Media Group)
10:00: The New Adventures of Gumby (Bento Box Entertainment/Fox Entertainment)
10:30: Bananaman (Bento Box Entertainment)
11:00: Clue (Bento Box Entertainment/Entertainment One)
11:30: The Secret of NIMH (Fox Entertainment/MGM Television)

I bet you'd also want to know the context. Well...

-Bento Box Entertainment is now Rupert Murdoch's own animation studio, and he plans on keeping it that way no matter what.
-Fox Corporation acquired Gumby very recently, hence the inclusion of his face in this lineup.
-Fox Corp also owns Tubi, which has exclusivity rights to 10 Anpanman films. This is why the actual anime is part of the new Fox Kids lineup.
-Among Bento Box's future endeavors include a reboot of Bananaman and a Bloom County animated series. They are the bread of this familiar IP sandwich, with Gumby as the filling,
-Wolfboy and the Everything Factory is an AppleTV+ exclusive, but since it's aimed at kids and made by Bento Box Entertainment, I think we can squeeze in a loophole of ownership rights here.
-News Corp is now Fox Corp's sister company, and News Corp owns HarperCollins and the I Can Read! series of books. That is why the E/I hours are mostly comprised of book adaptations.
-MGM Television is rebooting one of Don Bluth's masterpieces as a family film a la The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Which is why the following television series is last in the lineup. I wish I was kidding about the movie, but at least having its TV show air last would give it a fraction of the scope that the Bluth version provided.

Thanks for making this thread. I think I've got a good schedule.

What if Fox Kids was revived with Fox Corporation's IPs?

7:00: Biscuit (Bento Box Entertainment)
7:30: Frog and Toad (Bento Box Entertainment)
8:00: Juan Bobo (Bento Box Entertainment)
8:30: Let's Go! Anpanman (TMS Entertainment; English Dub)
9:00: Wolfboy and the Everything Factory (Bento Box Entertainment) (Television Premiere)
9:30: Bloom County (Bento Box Entertainment/Miramax Television/Spyglass Media Group)
10:00: The New Adventures of Gumby (Bento Box Entertainment/Fox Entertainment)
10:30: Bananaman (Bento Box Entertainment)
11:00: Clue (Bento Box Entertainment/Entertainment One)
11:30: The Secret of NIMH (Fox Entertainment/MGM Television)
Nice classy schedule.
I bet you'd also want to know the context. Well...
Yeah, of course.
-Bento Box Entertainment is now Rupert Murdoch's own animation studio, and he plans on keeping it that way no matter what.
I actually know that. It makes Smiling Friends. It's a new show on Adult Swim.
-Fox Corporation acquired Gumby very recently, hence the inclusion of his face in this lineup.
I actually know that.
-Fox Corp also owns Tubi, which has exclusivity rights to 10 Anpanman films. This is why the actual anime is part of the new Fox Kids lineup.
I know that too. I've used it before.
-Among Bento Box's future endeavors include a reboot of Bananaman and a Bloom County animated series. They are the bread of this familiar IP sandwich, with Gumby as the filling,
Hmm. Nice.
-Wolfboy and the Everything Factory is an AppleTV+ exclusive, but since it's aimed at kids and made by Bento Box Entertainment, I think we can squeeze in a loophole of ownership rights here.
Oh. Okay. I see what you're doing here.
-News Corp is now Fox Corp's sister company, and News Corp owns HarperCollins and the I Can Read! series of books. That is why the E/I hours are mostly comprised of book adaptations.
Nice thinking.
-MGM Television is rebooting one of Don Bluth's masterpieces as a family film a la The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Which is why the following television series is last in the lineup. I wish I was kidding about the movie, but at least having its TV show air last would give it a fraction of the scope that the Bluth version provided.
Wow.

Yeah, Bento Box can make a lot of decent series to put on other outlets if given the chance.

Nice classy schedule.
Thanks!
Yeah, of course.
Fair.
I actually know that. It makes Smiling Friends. It's a new show on Adult Swim.
I know what Smiling Friends is about. And considering that Bento Box is most known for making Bob's Burgers, I think Smiling Friends would be a fine replacement as far as the studio's legacy on AS is concerned.
I actually know that.
Huh, neat.
I know that too. I've used it before.
I didn't know that.
Hmm. Nice.
All I'm gonna say is that we either get Jim Cummings as Opus, or we riot. The comic's creator even wanted Sterling Holloway to voice him in the Christmas special, for crying out loud!
Oh. Okay. I see what you're doing here.
Thanks.
Nice thinking.
Thank you.
Wow.
Yeah, Bento Box can make a lot of decent series to put on other outlets if given the chance.
That, they can.
Wait What? I think the name is just a coincidence. And Fox didn't buy the studio until 2019.
Fair enough. And I am aware that Fox bought the studio after losing everything else in the film and television department.

You're welcome
Ok.
I know what Smiling Friends is about. And considering that Bento Box is most known for making Bob's Burgers, I think Smiling Friends would be a fine replacement as far as the studio's legacy on AS is concerned.
Good thinking.
Huh, neat.
Ok.
I didn't know that.
Ok.
All I'm gonna say is that we either get Jim Cummings as Opus, or we riot. The comic's creator even wanted Sterling Holloway to voice him in the Christmas special, for crying out loud!
You talking about the Gumby project they have in development?
You're welcome.
Thank you.
You're welcome.
That, they can.
Yes indeed.
Fair enough. And I am aware that Fox bought the studio after losing everything else in the film and television department.
Yeah, they kinda need it. I think a cable/OTA subchannel showing off what they got in their new post-Disney library would be nice.

BTW, I'm working on the Checkerboard lineup. If all things go right, expect it later today.

Good thinking.
Thank you!
You talking about the Gumby project they have in development?
Yes. I was talking about that.
Yeah, they kinda need it. I think a cable/OTA subchannel showing off what they got in their new post-Disney library would be nice.
Well, they do own MyNetworkTV and Movies! as far as channels go.
But at the same time, I don't think they have enough content on their own to suffice that sort of thing. Maybe give Tubi its own network if they really want to do that.
BTW, I'm working on the Checkerboard lineup. If all things go right, expect it later today.
Okay!

Thank you!
You're welcome.
Yes. I was talking about that.
Ok.
Well, they do own MyNetworkTV and Movies! as far as channels go.
Yeah.... Movies! is a classic movie channel on OTA and ain't even 100% owned by them, the other half is Weigel
MyNetworkTV isn't a real network and hasn't been since 2009, and even for it's first 3 years that it was, it was a crappy network that nobody watched(except when they briefly aired Smackdown). Look up your local stations, I bet you that MNTV is:
1: Buried late at night
2: Moved to a digital subchannel where it airs for 2 hours
3: .............

You get the point, the network is worthless and should be sold/shut down........or at least turned into a subchannel.
But at the same time, I don't think they have enough content on their own to suffice that sort of thing. Maybe give Tubi its own network if they really want to do that.
Ok.......... Maybe they could also use their content and syndicated shows and even acquire shows for a FOX2 network.
Ok. Just did late-nights and the primetime blocks.

Yeah.... Movies! is a classic movie channel on OTA and ain't even 100% owned by them, the other half is Weigel
MyNetworkTV isn't a real network and hasn't been since 2009, and even for it's first 3 years that it was, it was a crappy network that nobody watched(except when they briefly aired Smackdown). Look up your local stations, I bet you that MNTV is:
1: Buried late at night
2: Moved to a digital subchannel where it airs for 2 hours
3: .............

You get the point, the network is worthless and should be sold/shut down........or at least turned into a subchannel.
Well, in my timeline, MyNetworkTV was bought by Litton Entertainment in 2015, and by 2017, all the major networks have their kidvid hours, mainly Saturday Mornings and Weekday Afternoons, programmed by their parent companies and their subsidiaries, such as Disney and ABC, Paramount Global and CBS (Which doesn't split in 2006), NBC and Universal/Comcast, and The CW & WarnerMedia. Fox, however, has to make ends meet with the biggest studios that don't have broadcast networks, like Sony Pictures Animation, WildBrain, Nelvana, and Entertainment One.
Ok.......... Maybe they could also use their content and syndicated shows and even acquire shows for a FOX2 network.
That could work.
Ok. Just did late-nights and the primetime blocks.
Sweet!

Well, in my timeline, MyNetworkTV was bought by Litton Entertainment in 2015,
Wait What? What would happen to it?
and by 2017, all the major networks have their kidvid hours, mainly Saturday Mornings and Weekday Afternoons, programmed by their parent companies and their subsidiaries, such as Disney and ABC,
Good. Maybe an compromise can be made that the network carries 2 hours of E/I content while the station picks up the remaining hour. So, would ABC Kids still be running the same reruns of Hannah Montana by then?(OBVIOUS SCARSAM)
Paramount Global and CBS (Which doesn't split in 2006)
Yep. IMTL, they wouldn't spilt either.
, NBC and Universal/Comcast,
Yay, an promotional block for my AU kids channel.
and The CW & WarnerMedia
IMTL, UPN would've been sold off and The WB would've been kept alive.
. Fox, however, has to make ends meet with the biggest studios that don't have broadcast networks, like Sony Pictures Animation, WildBrain, Nelvana, and Entertainment One.
IMTL, FFW would still be there. But let's go with your timeline. Any ideas?
That could work.
Ok.
Ok.

Anyone want to do a schedule for a proposed 1992-93 block for NBC? All I could come up with was a second season of Super Mario World (which would have introduced Wario).

Anyone want to do a schedule for a proposed 1992-93 block for NBC? All I could come up with was a second season of Super Mario World (which would have introduced Wario).
Oh. Hello there Hadley. Good suggestion. I'll try to see what one of my good friends could do.

Wait What? What would happen to it?
Well, MyNetworkTV would turn into a 24-hour cable channel dedicated to Litton's old and new programs. Think about it. Would you rather have four concurrent programming blocks running between 7 A.M. and 12 Noon on Saturdays only? Or would you rather acquire a barely-functioning cable channel that gives you all the time in all seven days of the week AND a renewable audience of kids?
Good. Maybe an compromise can be made that the network carries 2 hours of E/I content while the station picks up the remaining hour. So, would ABC Kids still be running the same reruns of Hannah Montana by then?(OBVIOUS SCARSAM)
Hopefully, the local stations air the syndicated E/I hour before the main block.
And in the case of ABC Kids, there's enough content from Disney to suffice a 5-hour lineup all on their own without the need for their other divisions. Including the educational requirements.
Yep. IMTL, they wouldn't spilt either.
And considering how they'd remerge just 13 years later, why would the second split even happen?
Yay, an promotional block for my AU kids channel.
That's even better!
Speaking of that channel, would we get an E.T. cartoon to promote the movie's 20th anniversary? I'm surprised we didn't get one already in the 80s IRL.
IMTL, UPN would've been sold off and The WB would've been kept alive.
That does make sense, given how much of The CW is from Warner Bros. anyway. But who would buy UPN after Viacom merged with CBS? Any potential buyers?
IMTL, FFW would still be there. But let's go with your timeline. Any ideas?
Well, for one, Power Rangers would air on Fox Kids again on account of the Hasbro deal, but two weeks after Netflix gets their share of the episodes. For two, The Simpsons would be on weekdays as the final 5-day-a-week program. For three, Sony and Wildbrain would supply the most content out of the studios I listed, while Nelvana would only have one or two shows on the block.
Well, I can say that the Big Nate cartoon that almost happened would have been made on NBC. And your idea for a second season of SMW is a good fit for a headliner. I can also say that Saved by the Bell would end in 1993 and be the final remnant of the teen sitcom approach on the block before entirely devoting itself to animation. And maybe in the 1993-94 season, Madeline and The Pink Panther can be the faces of that season.

Well, MyNetworkTV would turn into a 24-hour cable channel dedicated to Litton's old and new programs. Think about it. Would you rather have four concurrent programming blocks running between 7 A.M. and 12 Noon on Saturdays only? Or would you rather acquire a barely-functioning cable channel that gives you all the time in all seven days of the week AND a renewable audience of kids?
I don't think Litton would buy a channel. If anything, they would stay a syndication company providing E/I content for stations that need it.
Hopefully, the local stations air the syndicated E/I hour before the main block.
Yeah. Or they could air it at any time of any day actually, as long as it's between 6/7am and 10pm. So that means that some stations(specifically Fox, CW, MNTV, and Independent stations)can choose to air it on Weekdays(the E/I stuff).
And in the case of ABC Kids, there's enough content from Disney to suffice a 5-hour lineup all on their own without the need for their other divisions. Including the educational requirements.
Exactly, they could've coasted for a few more years with the 9-12 part being Disney Junior while the last hour coulda been one comedic toon and one action toon.
And considering how they'd remerge just 13 years later, why would the second split even happen?
Exactly. Another thing about that. When I first heard of the re-merger, I thought the company would become better, but no(I mainly thought that for Nickelodeon, but now, why even bother).
That's even better!
Yep.
Speaking of that channel, would we get an E.T. cartoon to promote the movie's 20th anniversary? I'm surprised we didn't get one already in the 80s IRL.
Maybe.
That does make sense, given how much of The CW is from Warner Bros. anyway. But who would buy UPN after Viacom merged with CBS? Any potential buyers?
Sony, MGM, Tribune.
Well, for one, Power Rangers would air on Fox Kids again on account of the Hasbro deal, but two weeks after Netflix gets their share of the episodes. For two, The Simpsons would be on weekdays as the final 5-day-a-week program. For three, Sony and Wildbrain would supply the most content out of the studios I listed, while Nelvana would only have one or two shows on the block.
Where you referring to Fox Kids?
Well, I can say that the Big Nate cartoon that almost happened would have been made on NBC. And your idea for a second season of SMW is a good fit for a headliner. I can also say that Saved by the Bell would end in 1993 and be the final remnant of the teen sitcom approach on the block before entirely devoting itself to animation. And maybe in the 1993-94 season, Madeline and The Pink Panther can be the faces of that season.
Nice........ WAIT WHAT!? They were gonna make a Big Nate cartoon.......... in 1993.

I don't think Litton would buy a channel. If anything, they would stay a syndication company providing E/I content for stations that need it.
Fair enough.
Yeah. Or they could air it at any time of any day actually, as long as it's between 6/7am and 10pm. So that means that some stations(specifically Fox, CW, MNTV, and Independent stations)can choose to air it on Weekdays(the E/I stuff).
Brilliant!
Exactly, they could've coasted for a few more years with the 9-12 part being Disney Junior while the last hour coulda been one comedic toon and one action toon.
Of course.
Exactly. Another thing about that. When I first heard of the re-merger, I thought the company would become better, but no(I mainly thought that for Nickelodeon, but now, why even bother).
For shame.
Sony, MGM, Tribune.
I was thinking about Sony as well, and MGM could potentially work as the new owner of UPN if they try really hard. And while Tribune used to own a quarter ownership stake in The WB, I think they could come up with enough money to partner with some big names of entertainment.
Where you referring to Fox Kids?
Yes. I was referring to Fox Kids in all three of these changes.
Nice........ WAIT WHAT!? They were gonna make a Big Nate cartoon.......... in 1993.
Actually, it's a lot weirder than that...

In 1991, the first year the Big Nate comic was published, Peanuts executive producer Lee Mendelson purchased the option from Lincoln Peirce to make a 2D-animated Big Nate television series for Saturday Morning Cartoons at NBC, who "was paid $5,000 to write a quote-on-quote bible describing the characters and outlining a few story ideas". However, the day after this deal was finalized, NBC canceled all of their Saturday Morning Cartoons, sending the series into development hell.

Because those shows weren't already tied to any other SatAM block by comparison to most other American cartoons from 1993. And the stuff that was there besides Madeline and Pink Panther was, to put it lightly, obscure garbage.
I can see why NBC dropped their block, lack of content and kids were willing to just watch the kidcom, surprised they didn't tried to beat Nickelodeon in that regards