An Heir To Rule

Just, uh, one thing…Matilda and Maud are actually the same name. So I don’t think Edmund and Katherine would name their second daughter Maud if their older daughter is Matilda.

some suggestions instead:
- Bridget
- Agnes
- Eleanor
- Edith
- Cecily
- Ursula
- Lucy
- Barbara
- Beatrice
- Blanche
- Philippa
- Isabel
It is? Well, damn. Unfortunately, I can't change it now because the scene with Ned doesn't work if I do. And I explained why I picked the name in the chapter.

I found that, assuming you're not talking in Latin, you can get away with it: Matilda is the Latin form of the Saxon name Maud and Matilda comes from the Germanic name Mathilidis, of which one shortened form was Mahald and another was Mahaut… which brings us very close to Maud.

But they're not German. Or speaking in Latin. So I think I'll be alright.

Last edited:
It is? Well, damn. Unfortunately, I can't change it now because the scene with Ned doesn't work if I do. And I explained why I picked the name in the chapter.

I found that, assuming you're not talking in Latin, you can get away with it: Matilda is the Latin form of the Saxon name Maud and Matilda comes from the Germanic name Mathilidis, of which one shortened form was Mahald and another was Mahaut… which brings us very close to Maud.

But they're not German. Or speaking in Latin. So I think I'll be alright.
Considering James IV named two of his sons James (one legitimate and one illegitimate) and James III named two of his legitimate sons James (and the first was still alive when he named the second James) I think two different versions of the same name should be fine.

Considering James IV named two of his sons James (one legitimate and one illegitimate) and James III named two of his legitimate sons James (and the first was still alive when he named the second James) I think two different versions of the same name should be fine.
James V had four - one Legitimate and three illegitimate - so you make a good point.

Just, uh, one thing…Matilda and Maud are actually the same name. So I don’t think Edmund and Katherine would name their second daughter Maud if their older daughter is Matilda.
The Pastons had three sons called John in one generation. Matilda/Maud is not impossible, though it is unlikely I grant you.

The Pastons had three sons called John in one generation. Matilda/Maud is not impossible, though it is unlikely I grant you.
Why is it always the bloody Pastons? So unimaginative!
Although I can only find two Johns in one generation.

Last edited: