Southern-Less USA 2.0: A Nation Torn Apart

Also, there is an explanation why North Carolina is with Georgia and South Carolina instead of Virginia and the Upper South despite the poll indicating the latter. It will kind of be part of both for a little bit. More details will come soon.

Could it be possible for the rump United States to adopt a more federalist government structure? It seems plausible that they could look at the high amount of state autonomy and decide that that was the problem. They could de-emphasize the state's powers or even completely disestablish them. The New England states are too small to go on their own and New York would be prominent in any case.

Could it be possible for the rump United States to adopt a more federalist government structure? It seems plausible that they could look at the high amount of state autonomy and decide that that was the problem. They could de-emphasize the state's powers or even completely disestablish them. The New England states are too small to go on their own and New York would be prominent in any case.
New York would certainly be up there with Massachusetts and even Connecticut to a lesser extent. It was the former two who voted in favor of the Virginia Plan OTL and ITTL, and there's still plenty of mercantilism in Connecticut to go around.

New York would certainly be up there with Massachusetts and even Connecticut to a lesser extent. It was the former two who voted in favor of the Virginia Plan OTL and ITTL, and there's still plenty of mercantilism in Connecticut to go around.
Would this mean that they would go for a more federalist government structure or not? Because I think that it's perfectly reasonable that the rump United States try to figure out a way to discourage further secession.

Would this mean that they wouldn't go for a more federalist government structure or not? Because I think that it's perfectly reasonable that the rump United States try to figure out a way to discourage further secession.
Probably. The federal government will definitely have more power here than the USA did before 1796-97 or so. At this point, the remaining states have more in common with each other than anyone else anyway.

I'm thinking that the rump United States would still establish a Federal District around the United States capital. Here's an idea for a site: the town of Worchester, Massachusetts. The town only has a population of about 2,000. And it'd be fairly easy to move the government from Boston to the new city. And I'd name it "Columbia" because that is the kind of poetic name that works. The city of Columbia in the District of Washington. Unless the New Englanders object to having a Virginian's name on the Federal District.

And I'd have the nation's capital actually have the franchise in this America. Not only is that a glaring oversight in OTL, but this rump America can't afford to lose any voters.

It'd be interesting to see how the rump United States recovers from their disastrous decline. I think Hamilton would be a good candidate for the new American President. I don't know many Americans from that time or region.

I'd think that at least the Americans won't suffer as much impressment of their sailors due to how much smaller the country is now.

Last edited:
The Rump United States would like to retake Erie at least.
There will be plenty of conflict and controversy over the Northwest Territory ITTL, including the Erie Triangle. So much so in fact that I painted it purple instead of whatever boundaries Virginia, Pennsylvania, the USA, and Britain would claim because I couldn’t fully figure them out and largely still cannot.

Also, there is an explanation why North Carolina is with Georgia and South Carolina instead of Virginia and the Upper South despite the poll indicating the latter. It will kind of be part of both for a little bit. More details will come soon.

Seems like this will be an early flashpoint with NC divided between a proDeep South ruling elite and the more 'common man' leaning toward Virginia.

As for the Rump USA disestablishing states, I don't see it. These states have remained loyal, you do not punish your loyalists so harshly. That being said as the group is more homogenous now they very well could agree to more power to a common federal government.

I like the idea of the RumpUSA using Washingto for their federak district. A fun idea of Virginia and the RUSA pettily feuding for generations over who is the true heir to Washington's legacy.

It is feasible for the rump USA to claim Michigan and further than that, Wisconsin, since they still have access to the Great Lakes, and, the settlers there were New Englanders. Northern Ohio would also be possible if they could retake Northwestern PA - which is well, doable, since the US had stronger military/state militia and rump Pennsylvania.

Seems like this will be an early flashpoint with NC divided between a proDeep South ruling elite and the more 'common man' leaning toward Virginia.

As for the Rump USA disestablishing states, I don't see it. These states have remained loyal, you do not punish your loyalists so harshly. That being said as the group is more homogenous now they very well could agree to more power to a common federal government.

I like the idea of the RumpUSA using Washingto for their federak district. A fun idea of Virginia and the RUSA pettily feuding for generations over who is the true heir to Washington's legacy.
But it is plausible to have the United States create a new government structure that puts more power in the Federal government than the states. I admit that total disestablishment of the states is too radical. But a much stronger federal government to keep them in line isn't.

What do you mean disestablishing states, which states has the Rump USA disestablished. The Rump USA consists of New York and New England btw.