Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
NpjolSj.png

By 1783, America was lost, but the Brits held the south and the USA was grudgingly forced to accept along with Canada, Britain would hold South Carolina, and Georgia, alongside Florida. The Brits named the remaining southern colonies, the Colonies of Fidus, or simply, the Loyal Colonies. In 1812, it was invaded by America under General Andrew Jackson. General John Moore, exiled to Fidusia after his failure against the French resulting in the 1809 Battle of Coruna - which saw British troops successfully evacuate Spain temporarily before coming back with a rage under Wellington. Moore defeated the American invasion, becoming the 'Isaac Brock of the South' and successfully stabilized the frontier with America by 1816. In 1890, the colonies were federated like Canada up north and in 1891, Fidusia became a semi-independent dominion of the British Empire before becoming fully independent in 1931 during the Statute of Westminster. Today it is a country of 40.8 Million with a GDP Per Capita of ~$56,000, being a very economically prosperous nation and it uses the Fidusian Pound (pegged to the GBP) as its currency.

Thoughts?
Very well done! A couple of questions WRT the setting more than anything else:

1) You mention Canada still existing up north, does being sandwiched between two British realms impact U.S. growth or safety? Since events like the Statute of Westminster still occur despite the POD, I'd imagine Anglo-American relations could be fairly close to OTL, but then again that much territory under Britain could be a threat too.
2) There's a province within Albamaha called "C.T." What does that stand for, Cherokee Territory? EDIT: I'm an idiot, obviously it's "Capital Territory", belay my last. What of the Native tribes, though? Are they left in place, displaced, assimilated, what?
3) I get that British rule means abolition probably progresses full steam ahead, but how are race relations overall in Fidusia? Are demographics any different from the region in OTL?
4) Surprised that South Carolina didn't get renamed to something like "British Carolina" or "Clarendon", was that an oversight, a deliberate choice in-universe, or a case of in-universe laziness/bureaucratic inertia?

Also, kudos for not putting the border at 36'30; other than in Glen's DSA timeline, that cartographic choice IMO is just an eyesore.

Last edited:
1) You mention Canada still existing up north, does being sandwiched between two British realms impact U.S. growth or safety? Since events like the Statute of Westminster still occur despite the POD, I'd imagine Anglo-American relations could be fairly close to OTL, but then again that much territory under Britain could be a threat too.
It's more or less the same as OTL, except more suspicious of one another and without the stigma of Civil War (America abolishes slavery in 1878 ittl without the civil war).
2) There's a province within Albamaha called "C.T." What does that stand for, Cherokee Territory?
Its Capital Territory. Natives still have their own nations inside the country, and make up ~8.5% of the population. They work in a similar manner to the Norwegian Saami Parliament with each nation having their own parliaments (like the Norwegian saami one)
3) I get that British rule means abolition probably progresses full steam ahead, but how are race relations overall in Fidusia? Are demographics any different from the region in OTL?
There was an anti-abolition rebellion in 1836 - 1838 which was put down by the British. Race relations are much better, but there are some ups and downs like income inequality that still exists. With the immigration of southern loyalists into fidusia and the natives remaining where they are, the demographics are pretty different. Its ~65% White, ~20% Black, ~8.5% Native, ~6.5% other.
4) Surprised that South Carolina didn't get renamed to something like "British Carolina" or "Clarendon", was that an oversight, a deliberate choice in-universe, or a case of in-universe laziness/bureaucratic inertia?
It's much like Mongolia and Inner Mongolia, or Benin and Benin City in that regards. No one bothered too much in the 1780s and no one bothered later on either.

1643898859534.png

This is the WorldA map of a dream I had, basically, sometime in the 70s (?), people decided that only Texans named Vincent were allowed to be President. This lead to the third president named Vincent being accused of fraud because he looked too much like the previous Secretary of State, also named Vincent (literally everyone in the Executive branch was named Vincent), he responded to those claim by making a power point presentation and then became dictator of the USV (United State's of Vincent. This, counter-intuitively, lead to a rather peaceful 21st century where the USV, China, and Russia all decided to scale down their militaries and thus make all the other nations in the world do so to (because dream). Another thing I remember is that the USV was annexing France in the background and that was never brought up again.

2UpiXHP.jpg

"Once you see it, the bomb is amazingly simple."

If ever an event in human history can be said to have been resolved by deus ex machina, the Second World War qualifies. By December 2, 1942, the Axis powers seemed to be on the verge of victory - in the east, German armies had seized Stalingrad and the north Caucasian oil fields, while in the west, the Western Allies' Operation Sledgehammer had been contained in Brittany and was slowly being pushed back into the sea. On the other side of the world, however, in an uninhabited valley north of Fontana Lake, TN, American scientists successfully tested the world's first atomic bomb.

When the so-called 'Manhattan Project' was authorized in January 1942, no one - not political leadership, not the military, nor its own scientists - expected such a quick result. The bomb turned out to be simple enough that arguably, any major power which had chosen to invest seriously into nuclear research could have produced one - as borne out by the rapid proliferation of atomic capabilities in the post-war era.

In April 1943, an atomic bomb was dropped over Essen - the first ever used in wartime. After this, the formidable Axis war machine quickly began to evaporate. In May, Marshall Petain abrogated the Armistice of Compiègne and brought France back to the Allied side. In July, a royal coup in Italy removed Mussolini from power and sought an armistice with the Allies. By October, American forces had entered the smoldering ruins of Berlin and by early November, Fuhrer Goring unconditionally surrendered the rest of Germany's forces.

The Allies' wartime unity began to fray almost as soon as the last shot was fired. The first and sorest flashpoint was the fate of eastern Poland, which remained under brutal Soviet occupation. The Polish government - returned from London to Warsaw to greet the victorious Home Army in early 1944 - and its British and French partners were enraged by Roosevelt's lack of willingness to press Stalin on the issue. Starting in 1945, President Wallace's even softer line on the Soviet Union and insistence on emphasizing the need for decolonization drove a even deeper wedge between the Western powers.

Similarly tense was the relationship between the restored French Fourth Republic in Paris, headed by Pierre Laval, and General de Gaulle's competing Free French faction, which retained control of much of France's African colonies. Britain withdrew its support for de Gaulle in mid-1943, but Washington continued to press for a power-sharing arrangement - something neither side was willing to accept.

On the far side of the world the victorious Kuomingtang government in China retained deep grudges against the Western powers for their perceived condescending attitude, betrayal of Chinese forces deployed to Burma, unwillingness to renegotiate the status of the remaining three Western colonies in China, and refusal to allow Chinese forces more than a symbolic role in the occupation of Japan.

Ten years have now passed since the end of the war, and the world has been divided into quarters. In the Western hemisphere, the United States under President Dewey seeks to balance the dual goals of dismantling the European empires while containing the spread of Communism. Across the Atlantic, the colonial powers of the Western Union - headed by Prime Minister Churchill and President Darlan - face the near-impossible task of simultaneously maintaining their global empires and keeping Soviet influence out of Eastern Europe. For its part, the Soviet Union under newly-minted Chairman Beria seeks to break the dual containment of the WU in the West and the Americans in the East by funding communist movements across the world - an approach which is increasingly successful in Asia and the Middle East. Finally, the so-called 'Fourth World,' led by the rising powers of China, India, and Egypt, seek to carve out new spheres of influence for themselves outside of the great powers of old.
Like my past few maps, this was done entirely in QGIS. If you ask a lot of people on StackExchange, you might be told this sort of 'split' projection (eg this dual hemisphere, Goode homolosine, etc) is not technically possible to do in standard GIS software. How was it done?

The secret - it's actually two maps! (well - technically one map projected twice)

CON5qD4.png

There are two separate map windows on the final canvas. Each is a projection of the same basic data in two separate stereographic projections.

zNIYsMu.png

The 'frame' that you see in the final version isn't actually a frame! Instead, they are four separate polygons clipped to the opposite hemisphere to cleanly hide the outer edges of the projection which you see above.

Jz1ASrM.png

Last edited:
NpjolSj.png

By 1783, America was lost, but the Brits held the south and the USA was grudgingly forced to accept along with Canada, Britain would hold South Carolina, and Georgia, alongside Florida. The Brits named the remaining southern colonies, the Colonies of Fidus, or simply, the Loyal Colonies. In 1812, it was invaded by America under General Andrew Jackson. General John Moore, exiled to Fidusia after his failure against the French resulting in the 1809 Battle of Coruna - which saw British troops successfully evacuate Spain temporarily before coming back with a rage under Wellington. Moore defeated the American invasion, becoming the 'Isaac Brock of the South' and successfully stabilized the frontier with America by 1816. In 1890, the colonies were federated like Canada up north and in 1891, Fidusia became a semi-independent dominion of the British Empire before becoming fully independent in 1931 during the Statute of Westminster. Today it is a country of 40.8 Million with a GDP Per Capita of ~$56,000, being a very economically prosperous nation and it uses the Fidusian Pound (pegged to the GBP) as its currency.

Thoughts?
What's the importance of Spring Park in this world? I'm guessing it has a very different history, yes?

Like my past few maps, this was done entirely in QGIS. If you ask a lot of people on StackExchange, you might be told this sort of 'split' projection (eg this dual hemisphere, Goode homolosine, etc) is not technically possible to do in standard GIS software. How was it done?

The secret - it's actually two maps! (well - technically one map projected twice)

CON5qD4.png

There are two separate map windows on the final canvas. Each is a projection of the same basic data in two separate stereographic projections.

zNIYsMu.png

The 'frame' that you see in the final version isn't actually a frame! Instead, they are four separate polygons clipped to the opposite hemisphere to cleanly hide the outer edges of the projection which you see above.

Jz1ASrM.png
RIP Finland

I'm not sure when Norway was incorporated, or what the Swedish government decides is the different between Swedes and Norwegians, but it's very possible that the Norwegians should actually penetrate east of the Scandinavian Mountains, rather than Swedes dribbling across to the west. Sweden took Jamtland and Härjedalen relatively late (mid-17th Century), and they were always very isolated. OTL, the local dialects are closer to northern Norwegian dialects than it is to anything Swedish. Southern Sweden was annexed from Denmark at a similar time, but the region was much less remote and more integrated, and was also subject to a deliberate campaign of Swedification after annexation, which Jamtland never was.

Lol, I love that the German land Sweden holds here is tiny but the population still almost trumps that of all of Finland. Beautiful maps again!

I'm a bit curious myself why there are more than twice as many Swedes as OTL but about the same number of Finns. Also, only 2.5% other? OTL Sweden has about 25% either born in Sweden of foreign parents or foreign born: either this Sweden is much less friendly to immigrants than OTL or the map's definition for Swedes is unrelated to ethnic background while that for Finns, Estonians, etc. is.

Last edited:
the colony OF loyalty should be rendered as the colony of fides if you want to stay grammatically correct. Fides is the noun, fidus is the adjective.
Also I think the motto would be something more like "Ad fidem honoremque firmus." Per Lewis and Short, "firmus" usually uses the preposition "ad" + the accusative case, and "fidelitas" (which would have to be "fidelitate" if governed by the preposition "in") seems a bit redundant.

i lost the password to my copy of Photoshop several months ago (this is why i hate subscription services) but relocated it in January. i've also been in the process of reformatting the notes for my ASB ATL yet again and that got me to delve into my intended TL-specific color scheme as well as to finally start hammering out the details on some of the countries that i'd been considering but hadn't quite codified yet. i just finished with the second of my more recent additions to that color scheme and thought i'd share a little teaser of the map as it is now.

by which i mean basically all that the map is right now XD
map teaser.png

with the exception of that slice of Bessarabia in white, everything shown on here right now is a finalized color, (EDIT: ack, i just realized that Serbia is on there in its non-final color, too :p) though some of the actual countries here might not be there in TTL's present-day and i gave them the colors to hold in reserve and use if i wanted. as you can see, i've mainly been working on Europe, which i actually lacked on a fair bit before and just had placeholder colors. the actual purpose of the TL-specific color scheme is to hearken back to the absolute earliest maps that i ever made for TTL, which i'm thinking of making a new version of to compare and contrast with the finalized ones. on those maps, a few different Germanic countries where shown in different shades of blue, Italy was a grayish-brown, the Balkans were all in one cyan, and Spain was purple; this was well before i used standard UCS conventions and before i made my own color scheme contributions with TACOS. my intention is to also make a more standardized version after the whole map is complete, though, which will obviously be more colorful-looking. while i'm trying to choose as many of them as i can deliberately within the color motifs, (Britain's is azure, for example) alot of them simply can't be so i'm using a gematria calculator to decide which is used for what :p

the biggest changes here compared to the last time i uploaded a map is that everything shown has a clear territory except for Austria-Hungary in dark blue, which technically still has an undefined northern border but probably won't be changing exceptionally much from what it is now, and the addition of proper Italian states, (i haven't decided how disunited it's actually going to be--in my notes right now, a little under half of them have the qualifier of "if X is independent, then...") and basically a whole country that i hadn't been considering before and ended up creating on the spur of the moment: that's Iceland and Greenland together, as one state, in the top-left corner. it's partly an extrapolation of what happened to them during World War II, but here it's connected to the alternate Napoleonic Wars. i'm still trying to figure out a name for it since i don't just want to call it Iceland or Iceland-Greenland if i can help it.

the next color motif in my notes, going alphabetically, would be gray, but i want to figure out which countries those would be before i actually do so, (i know what the theme is, representing an anti-colonial bloc, but not which countries are going to be part of it except for Japan and Ethiopia so far) meaning that actually reconstructing the map will probably have me do the greens of the Islamic countries instead.

Last edited:
My own big Germany with a lot more smaller federal states. It all began when I looked through the proposal and war aims that didn't happen map where I saw two proposals, to either enlarge the state of Lower Saxony or to divide it in three (Damn ye men who cucked me from my Eastphalian state). Anyways, that made me want to have a lot more smaller states. The idea isn't perfect because we still have large states like Hesse, Bavaria, Silesia, Brandenburg or the Rhineland. But I like it so far.

The states are; Bavaria, Swabia, Württemberg, Baden, Franconia, the Palatinate, Saarland, Rhineland, Hesse, Thuringia, Saxony, Ruhr Area, Westphalia, Eastphalia, Saxony Anhalt, Silesia, Brandenburg, Berlin, Altmark, Lower Saxony, Bremen, Weser-Ems, Hamburg, Holstein, Lübeck, Mecklenburg, Pomerania and Schleswig.

Would all of them work? Probably not.
1643961855750.png

Aren't the Ruhr Area and Westphalia in the same location? Or is the Ruhr Area the small area north of the Rhineland in your map? In that case it would be outside the area of where the Ruhr is. Nice map though!

Aren't the Ruhr Area and Westphalia in the same location? Or is the Ruhr Area the small area north of the Rhineland in your map? In that case it would be outside the area of where the Ruhr is. Nice map though!
A good part of the actual Ruhr area is belongs to Westphalia.
And also some parts of the Ruhr Area are in the Rhineland.
So this Ruhr state would actually only have around 4/7th of the actual Ruhr?
To be honest, I'm not sure what I should have done with this area.
Giving it to the Rhineland would make it too powerfull in comparision to the other ones. But I don't know a better name for that area as of now.

But I don't know a better name for that area as of now.

Nordrheinland would be the most basic term I suppose.

Perhaps rather than Nordrheinland/Ruhr and Rhineland you could divide the Rhine Province into Moselland and Rhineland?

Last edited:
Kingdom of Anglamark by gxblt (MAP IS BROKEN)
Kingdom of Anglamark or the Four River Kingdom in the year 1201 at the ascension of King Éadweard the Thicc and his wife Princess Isbell from the Kingdom of Æfrice.

1. I am an internationally distinguished scholar on OE toponymy and post-Roman Iberia (satire)
2. I have no idea what I'm doing but it looked cool (the truth)

oCKQyDG.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.