X4 Color Scheme

This is a really cool colour scheme!
Though I have a fairly ignorant question: What do the five vertical columns represent for a country? I knew what it was there were only 3 (Country, dominion, protectorate) but I have no clue what the five column system represents. Could you explain that?

This is a really cool colour scheme!
Though I have a fairly ignorant question: What do the five vertical columns represent for a country? I knew what it was there were only 3 (Country, dominion, protectorate) but I have no clue what the five column system represents. Could you explain that?
Ashtagon did a chart of the relations in the original X2/3 files that I've been using, so I'll let this diagram do the talking:

On a personal note, I use the darkest and lightest colors to mark out EEZs on my maps, but that's a personal preference.
X4 relations.png

Wow, it's a while since I looked in on this thread.
You have amassed an impressively large body of work here, lockdown helped I expect.

I picture you poring over spreadsheets to find colours you have not used then using John Dee's Alchemic Equations to select the contrasting colours, all the while dressed like Dumbledore.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, how far off do you think you are.

Wow, it's a while since I looked in on this thread.
You have amassed an impressively large body of work here, lockdown helped I expect.

I picture you poring over spreadsheets to find colours you have not used then using John Dee's Alchemic Equations to select the contrasting colours, all the while dressed like Dumbledore.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, how far off do you think you are.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. The truth is I'm not sure when it will be finished. I have a lot of projects on my plate, and this is sadly the one that gets the most time on the back burner. I'd like to finish by the end of the year, but I said that at the beginning of 2019, 2020 and 2021, so, you know. In the meantime, here's France. Maybe. I'm not quite happy with it yet, but I'm going to move on and fix it later.
X4 France test.png

What data are you missing regarding the Rhineland? Maybe I as a German can help?
I have a few color schemes I'm using for reference.

West Europe is now finished. Here is the entire X4 so far. Enjoy!

EDIT: well, several duplicates have been found. Gotta clean it up soon. Sorry, folks.

EDIT EDIT: duplicates have been fixed up. Hooda!

dea1al3-fbbd95b4-415e-4f63-8886-44a04897f764.png

Last edited:
Decided to take a better look at some of my previous work, and ended up with a decent overhaul to Iberia.

X4 Spain 2 WIP.png

Last edited:
So, I will be working on vast updates to Europe over the coming weeks (or months, knowing my slow pace with this project). There are two things I'd really like the X4 to contain which would benefit both OTL and ATL maps. The first would concern the various royal dynasties that led European nations. Not all of them are going to be showcased, but major nations like Britain and France will have different dynastic colors. This was already done for Persia, Japan (which needs some work, I'm not very happy with the randomness of the colors), and China (parts of which can be seen in the X4's section on Central Asia, the rest I'm still working on). This will be helpful in that it can showcase succession wars, with their OTL or ATL outcomes. The second thing I want to add are Napoleonic nations, not just the OTL states that Napoleon or the French Revolution created, but even some ATL ones, like Britain or Russia. Obviously, these states are going to be a bit blue in color. Both of these updates can already be seen in my revamp of Iberia posted the other day (see post directly above this one), so you can kind of get an idea as to what's in store.

Another example of what I'm talking about, here's France divided by dynastic houses.
X4 Many Frances.png

Last edited:
So, I will be working on vast updates to Europe over the coming weeks (or months, knowing my slow pace with this project). There are two things I'd really like the X4 to contain which would benefit both OTL and ATL maps. The first would concern the various royal dynasties that led European nations. Not all of them are going to be showcased, but major nations like Britain and France will have different dynastic colors. This was already done for Persia, Japan (which needs some work, I'm not very happy with the randomness of the colors), and China (parts of which can be seen in the X4's section on Central Asia, the rest I'm still working on). This will be helpful in that it can showcase succession wars, with their OTL or ATL outcomes. The second thing I want to add are Napoleonic nations, not just the OTL states that Napoleon or the French Revolution created, but even some ATL ones, like Britain or Russia. Obviously, these states are going to be a bit blue in color. Both of these updates can already be seen in my revamp of Iberia posted the other day (see post directly above this one), so you can kind of get an idea as to what's in store.

Another example of what I'm talking about, here's France divided by dynastic houses. View attachment 718422
Sounds an interesting idea. BTW there was a whole period from 1600-ish that France used a white rather than blue flag, this might give you more colour choices. It was actually re-introduced in the 1830's for a while.

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Some suggestions for the Horn of Africa section, with additions in bold:

African Union, united African continent
primary Ethiopia, Abyssinia, Amhara
communist Ethiopian state (e.g. Derg, PDRE)
Eritrea, Aksum
Tigray
Afar
secondary or Muslim Ethiopia, Oromia
tertiary Ethiopia, Gambela

Djibouti
primary Somalia (e.g. Somali Republic)
Somaliland, secondary Somalia
Puntland, tertiary Somalia
Ogaden, Dervish State, montane Somalia
fascist/extremist Horn of Africa state
(other) communist Horn of Africa state (e.g. Somali Democratic Republic)
other/ASB Horn of Africa state

Apologies if I sound impatient, but when can we expect an update?
I'm not sure. Sorry, I have a lot of projects on my plate, and the X4 is sort of at the bottom of the list. Your ideas for the Horn of Africa are very good and I will be seeking to incorporate them, I assure you of that.

qazse

Gone Fishin'
I'm not sure. Sorry, I have a lot of projects on my plate, and the X4 is sort of at the bottom of the list. Your ideas for the Horn of Africa are very good and I will be seeking to incorporate them, I assure you of that.
👍