The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Vince

Monthly Donor
See Fritz's real problem was that he should have run in 1972, not 1984.

Mondale2.png

Mondale1.png

This is the best I've been able to do with McGovern in 1972 on Normal (Farenthold as VP.) Took a lot of luck to win Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio - all three by the slimmest of hairs
McGovern.png

Seriously what's happening with this game!, it's not letting me read the election results anymore and it goes back to the home page alone without me doing anything, it's kind of hard for me to believe that it's just me that this happens, but it's starting to annoy me....

Seriously what's happening with this game!, it's not letting me read the election results anymore and it goes back to the home page alone without me doing anything, it's kind of hard for me to believe that it's just me that this happens, but it's starting to annoy me....
are you playing on the old site or the new one?

Just did 1964 as Goldwater, the election was decided by Maine which I carried by just 72 votes. and 272 to 266 in the electoral college.

I pulled out a win on Normal with McGovern/Mondale in 1972.

Come Home America.png

In which McGovern is the master of winning elections extremely narrowly by cheesing the rules while losing the popular vote in a landslide. But it's alright - America came home.

I used the Optimal RNG mod, because starting positions are mildly randomnized - this mod is the equivalent of starting with the best possible position in each state. What I achieved is probably not realistically possible without the mod because the margins are so slim. Think of it as a TAS equivalent.

I visited Connecticut 15 times, Montana 3 times, and Maine once.

Because the Optimal RNG mod removes the starting randomnization, you should be able to perfectly replicate my results with the following steps:

Initial steps:
1. Load McGovern/Mondale mod. You have to pick Eagleton instead in the selection or the game stalls.
2. Put the optimal RNG mod into the console before starting the game
campaignTrail_temp.difficulty_level_json = JSON.parse("[{\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 1, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Cakewalk\", \"multiplier\": 1.4}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 2, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Very Easy\", \"multiplier\": 1.27}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 3, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Easy\", \"multiplier\": 1.17}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 4, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Normal\", \"multiplier\": 1.04}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 5, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Hard\", \"multiplier\": 1.02}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 6, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Impossible\", \"multiplier\": 0.97}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 7, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Unthinkable\", \"multiplier\": 0.9}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 8, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Blowout\", \"multiplier\": 0.82}}, {\"model\": \"campaign_trail.difficulty_level\", \"pk\": 9, \"fields\": {\"name\": \"Disaster\", \"multiplier\": 0.75}}]"); campaignTrail_temp.global_parameter_json = JSON.parse("[{\"model\": \"campaign_trail.global_parameter\", \"pk\": 1, \"fields\": {\"vote_variable\": 1.125, \"max_swing\": 0.0, \"start_point\": 1.0, \"candidate_issue_weight\": 10.0, \"running_mate_issue_weight\": 3.0, \"issue_stance_1_max\": -0.71, \"issue_stance_2_max\": -0.3, \"issue_stance_3_max\": -0.125, \"issue_stance_4_max\": 0.125, \"issue_stance_5_max\": 0.3, \"issue_stance_6_max\": 0.71, \"global_variance\": 0.0, \"state_variance\": 0.0, \"question_count\": 40, \"default_map_color_hex\": \"#C9C9C9\", \"no_state_map_color_hex\": \"#999999\"}}]");

Starting position: Nixon 57.2%, McGovern 40.0%

Questions:
1. "Vice President Hubert Humphrey is an icon of the Democratic Party, and Walter Mondale stood by his side for much of that legendary career. Fritz will help bring this party together."
2. "You know, I want to make a speech that emphasizes how we must all unite this fall, how we must heal our wounds, and how we must all stand together. But I also think I should give that speech tomorrow, rather than doing it now in the wee hours of the morning."
Nixon 56.2%, McGovern 41.0%
Visit Maine
3. "Absolutely, my main goal is to uphold the standards of the Democratic party. To do this, I will speak extensively with those who are hesitant about this campaign, and convince them that I will alter much of my rhetoric if that’s what it takes to get them onboard."
4. "I know I can’t win this outright. The best thing I can do is to perform well enough to not embarrass myself, and more importantly, to show that the Democratic Party is still as strong as ever." (lol)
Nixon 56.0% McGovern 41.3%
Visit Montana
5. "I advocate for a complete withdrawal of all U.S. military forces, amnesty for those who evaded the draft, and to get our American POWs back home"
6. "I think that's an excellent idea. Let's take a trip to England to meet with Prime Minister Heath, President Pompidou in France, and visit the Berlin Wall in West Germany. This should boost my national profile here, and we'll arrive back just as the Republicans wrap up in Miami."
Nixon 55.3% McGovern 41.8%
Visit Montana
7. "We've got some big-name endorsements in the can. It's no secret that President Johnson’s views are anathema to my own, but he still holds a strong sway in the party, and securing his vote right now could go a long way."
8. "We cannot afford to lose this endorsement. Winning states like Illinois can only be done by getting the big unions on our side, as it seems Daley has no enthusiasm for this campaign. I will meet privately with the AFL-CIO leaders and make numerous concessions to get them onboard." (ID 3592)
Nixon 55.2% McGovern 42.0%
Visit Montana
9. "Absolutely. I'll speak to Mr. Staley directly. I think he'll find that my policies support farmers far more than any of Butz’s or Nixon’s do." (ID 3645)
10. "These are valid concerns. As President I will increase government spending in our key social programs, which affect cities like New York so much. We cannot afford to let our own citizens sleep on the streets."
Nixon 55.0% McGovern 42.4%
Visit Connecticut
11. "The bombing of critical infrastructure is undeniable, and Richard Nixon’s poor attempts to shut his eyes and stick his head in the sand are outrageous."
12. "Is there anything braver about burning up children who live north of the seventeenth parallel or who live in Cambodia or Laos? They all feel pain. They're all children of the same God. Those are the kind of conditions we have to recover if we’re going to save the soul of this nation."
Nixon 54.7% McGovern 42.6%
Visit Connecticut
13. "No. We can't win and I know that. But I greatly appreciate his commitment, and I will urge him that my primary goal is maintaining the vitality of this party." (lol)
14. "It's unfortunate that some have a problem with this, but I stand by Fritz completely. He and I will uphold the legacy of the Democratic Party as much as anyone."
Nixon 55.0% McGovern 42.4%
Visit Connecticut
15. "Eleanor is a mother, first and foremost. Our son, Steven, is as old as many of the boys being sent over to die in Vietnam. I think she can really show the effect the war has on American mothers, and the thousands of them who will never get to see their sons again."
16. "I want a slate of television ads blasted across every major network. We can really hammer Nixon for his unpopular stances on key issues like Vietnam, the minimum wage, and the social crises of our day. Emphasizing my record, particularly my vote to increase the minimum wage just a few days ago will really help."
Nixon 54.2% McGovern 42.9%
Visit Connecticut
17. "The ongoing negotiations are a highly delicate process which I will refrain from interfering with in any way. These issues will be solved at the bargaining table, not with TV ads or campaign rhetoric."
18. "Let’s give a speech all about my financial plans directly to investors in New York. Moderate a lot of my rhetoric, pledge to appoint Wilbur Mills as Treasury Secretary should I win, and drop my plan for $1,000 annually to each American."
Nixon 54.2% McGovern 43.0%
Visit Connecticut
19. "Are you kidding me? Let’s bring this up all the time. I flew dozens of combat missions in a B-24 bomber over Europe, and nearly died multiple times. I want to emphasize this frequently in ads, but in a biographical sort of way, not as any political response."
20. "This is a tragic event. My thoughts are with the families of the victims at this time, and the nation of Israel. I will always remain committed to their safety, and oppose the barbaric actions of these terrorists."
Nixon 54.0% McGovern 43.3%
Visit Connecticut
21. "Let's hit on this a lot. G. Gordon Liddy and E. Howard Hunt’s indictments signal a shocking first in American history: they are the only White House aides to have ever been indicted. So in light of this news, I would like to drop the word “recent” from my previous statement characterizing the Nixon administration as “the most corrupt in recent history”."
22. "This is a spurious claim brought forward by the Nixon administration, I am in no way advocating for these things." (despite the feedback, this doesn't hurt you.)
Nixon 53.8% McGovern 43.7%
Visit Connecticut
23. "This is great. Let's let the most trusted man in America expose Nixon in a way we never could." (ID 3654)
24. "There's no way in hell Nixon would ever agree to this anyway. Let's not risk the embarrassment of being turned down, and instead pour our resources into television ads." (somehow better than the best debate result.)
Nixon 53.2% McGovern 44.0%
Visit Connecticut
25. "I'll campaign on corruption in Washington as a whole, not just Nixon’s flaws."
26. "I promise you that we are going to do whatever is necessary to provide a job for every able-bodied man and woman in this country who wants to work. Those who don’t want to work shouldn’t be paid anything in the way of public support. This is just common sense."
Nixon 53.0% McGovern 44.3%
Visit Connecticut
27. "We have a lot of star power behind our campaign, so let's put it to good use. I want us to feature our Hollywood supporters prominently in our advertising."
(this isn't as good for you nationally, but the main point is that it boosts you in Connecticut and some other useless states, helping secure it.)
28. "The Equal Rights Amendment is a force for good, but there is so much more we can do for American women. We need to ensure social security benefits and alimony for widows, job training for older women, and protect child custody for divorced mothers."
Nixon 52.5% McGovern 44.9%
Visit Connecticut
29. "I know Gary keeps putting fantastical data in front of me suggesting we’ll win among college-aged voters overwhelmingly, but we can't take anything for granted in this campaign. Let's make extensive visits to college campuses and get people like Senator Mike Gravel out campaigning for us."
(cleverly, you need to go against your advisers here to get the best results.)
30. "Of course. Let’s cozy up to reporters across the board, at every opening we can. That can provide us some good coverage and favors in return." (despite doom-and-gloom feedback, this helps you a tiny bit.)
Nixon 52.0% McGovern 45.1%
Visit Connecticut
31. "Let’s campaign on farming issues in Iowa and Ohio. Those are key to winning this fall, and I think we can push them into our column." (letting you eventually edge out a win in Ohio.)
32. "Absolutely. These types of protests are immature, and all these demonstrators are arguing for unrealistic goals. They should grow up and learn to work within the system." (lol)
Nixon 52.0% McGovern 45.2%
Visit Connecticut
33. "No comment."
34. "Emphasize our economic policies more. I will put more money into the hands of American workers, and ensure everyone pays their fair share."
Nixon 52.0% McGovern 45.3%
Visit Connecticut
35. "This is one of the areas where President Nixon and I actually agree. I think the Moon landing was an astonishing achievement for the human race, and I fully support future missions to the Lunar surface."
36. "The insults of Vice President Agnew are only part of the shameful degradation this country’s political culture is in the midst of. As president, I will guide us out of this era of partisan hectoring, and move towards a more unifying future." (despite feedback, this helps you.)
Nixon 51.8% McGovern 45.4%
Visit Connecticut
37. "While it garnered a lot of attention, for those who actually read it, our platform is pretty moderate. Our domestic policies simply promise an extension of Johnson’s Great Society programs, which remain broadly popular. Let’s play up how we’re not a serious departure from Democratic administrations of the past."
38. "This is yet another deeply cynical move by the Nixon administration. Not only has the current peace agreement been offered for years, but this is also premature, as they haven’t formally come to a conclusion yet."
Nixon 52.0% McGovern 45.2%
Visit Connecticut
39. Excellent (ID 9991733)
40. The industrial Midwest is our only chance at victory. Let’s spend a lot of time with the UAW in Detroit, make a brief appearance in Madison, then head to Ohio and hold a huge rally in Cincinnati to finish the day. (I think any of the options should work, but I pick this to make Ohio "safe.")

Close states.png

The clutchest of all wins. Perhaps Nixon now knows how Richard Daley felt when he was unseated in favor of an unelected McGovern delegation. A new conspiracy theory claims that McGovern traveled back in time to design the Electoral College, just as he designed the Democratic delegate nomination rules.

This is such a narrow win that I'm quite certain it's impossible with any other VP candidate. The only other one that I've been able to get close with is Shirley Chisholm - but she performs a bit worse in the Midwest, sufficient that you have to pick specific regional options to boost yourself there at the opportunity cost of national performance (visit Italy/Ireland/Israel for the Illinois boost, UAW endorsement for the Ohio boost, etc.) That was the hurdle I couldn't overcome with herself earlier before I realized I could skip those options with VP Mondale.

If you want to skip the ID sleuthing, you have a 1/3 chance to get the AFL-CIO endorsement, 1/3 chance to get the Staley boost, 1/3 chance to get the Cronkite first boost, and 1/2 chance to get the Cronkite second boost. So you'll get this 1/54 (2%) of the time. (You might be able to win without the first Cronkite boost - I haven't tried it.)

Last edited:
Decided to play some of the old scenarios for the first time in a while. Won a commanding electoral victory with Nixon/Dirksen on Normal by triaging the South (but winning Texas anyway) and putting almost everything into the Midwest, but lost the popular vote by 459 votes. When playing as Nixon, Kennedy seems to get a slight extra boost in the "Pro-Catholic" states, which is why I lost New Jersey and why Wisconsin was the closest state in the Midwest even though Nixon won it IOTL.
1641385112260.png

FYI on the 1936 scenarios on the New Campaign Trail (use the mod loader).

There is a question on Nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and if you give the "they are based and red-pilled" answer, its an instant loss. As FDR, you will lose fairly narrowly, as Landon you will win no states and get under 30% of the national popular vote. The question alone seems to knock about 10% of the historical national popular vote percentage. Playing around with self sabotage, nothing else you can do does nearly that amount of damage.

Based on my reading about the period, I happen to think there was more interest and admiration in what Hitler and Mussolini were doing in the 1930s, particularly among the American elites, than the scenario creator thinks. There was a real sense that totalitarian dictatorship was the wave of the future, and one important aspect of FDR's historical legacy is that he headed that off. FDR would have been hurt by a favorable comment towards Italy/ Germany, since it contradicted his policies and people were attacking him for being a dictator anyway. I actually don't think Landon would have been hurt that much, and might even have gained support on net.

Anyway, if you are try9ng to be competitive, give any answer but the red-pilled one to the fascism question. Landon seems to have no chance on Normal whatsoever, and its hard to get FDR to lose even with self-sabotage.

FYI on the 1936 scenarios on the New Campaign Trail (use the mod loader).

There is a question on Nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and if you give the "they are based and red-pilled" answer, its an instant loss. As FDR, you will lose fairly narrowly, as Landon you will win no states and get under 30% of the national popular vote. The question alone seems to knock about 10% of the historical national popular vote percentage. Playing around with self sabotage, nothing else you can do does nearly that amount of damage.

Based on my reading about the period, I happen to think there was more interest and admiration in what Hitler and Mussolini were doing in the 1930s, particularly among the American elites, than the scenario creator thinks. There was a real sense that totalitarian dictatorship was the wave of the future, and one important aspect of FDR's historical legacy is that he headed that off. FDR would have been hurt by a favorable comment towards Italy/ Germany, since it contradicted his policies and people were attacking him for being a dictator anyway. I actually don't think Landon would have been hurt that much, and might even have gained support on net.

Anyway, if you are try9ng to be competitive, give any answer but the red-pilled one to the fascism question. Landon seems to have no chance on Normal whatsoever, and its hard to get FDR to lose even with self-sabotage.
Landon can win on Normal with a Landon/Borah ticket. It's not too hard if you know exactly what you're doing, as long as RNG isn't too terrible

Attachments

• Landon.png
    Landon.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 282
I went back to the original game and tried the 1916 scenario playing Hughes. There is a discussion of the 1912 election in another folder that got me interested, and its hard but possible to win as Hughes.

I keep getting Electoral College wins and popular vote defeats as Hughes for some reason. This was no exception:

It was normal and apparently this is a better result as Hughes than 70.8% of the results on normal. This was the first time I saw Hughes carried New Mexico (with a 99 vote margin), so that was noteworthy.

So how did Hughes get an 11 vote margin in the Electoral College but lose the nationwide popular vote by 2.62%? Of the eight states carried with less than a 2% margin, seven went for Hughes (NM, KS, WV, DE, MN, ME, CT) and one for Wilson (WA), distributing 49 electoral votes to Hughes and 7 to Wilson. The New England states split 5-1 for Hughes (the exception being New Hampshire), but all were carried by margins of less than 4%. States west of the Mississippi, including the four southern ones, split 14-8 for Wilson, but 5 of the 8 Hughes states and only 2 of the 14 Wilson ones were carried by margins of less than 4%.

Hughes has to run a schizophrenic campaign. In this case he picked the progressive running mate and emphasized his progressive record, while criticizing actual progressive legislation. He came out for a woman's suffrage amendment. He pretty much endorsed Wilson's policies as regards to World War I, but with a good deal of Irish baiting.

Important update: the original creator of the site, Dan Bryan, has created a 2020 scenario at https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/

The site is pretty easily overwhelmed though, so you might get quite a couple application errors. It is being added to the new campaign trail ASAP though, so if you don't feel like dredging through the site being down, wait for that