List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage

Anna Vasa (daughter of Johann III of Sweden, sister of Sigismund) agrees to marry Johann Georg Hohenzollern, Duke of Krnov/Jägerndorf

Anna Vasa (1568-1625) m. John George (1577-1624) Duke of Jägerndorf

1) John Sigismund (1602-1605)

2) Joachim George (1604-1642) Duke of Jägerndorf, m. Louise Charlotte of Brandenburg (1617-1676)

3) Anna Catherine (1607-1628)

4) Hedwig Sibylle (1610-1662) m. George III (1611-1664) Duke of Brieg and Liegnitz

1) John George (1631-1668) Duke of Liegnitz, m. Louise of Anhalt-Dessau (1631-1680)​
2) Sigismund (1633)​
3) Anna Sophia (1637-1645)​
4) Louis II (1641-1700) King of Poland 1672* m. Eleanor of Austria (1653-1697)​
* If sons of Sigismund III die without legitimate issue like IOTL then descendants of their aunt would be seen as their obvious successors. John Casimir would not try to arrange election of Duke of Condee and thus likely rules until his death in 1672. Thus, after more than 400 years, Piasts are back on the throne of Poland.

Inspired by my recent conversation with @Kellan Sullivan

Last edited:
That if Philip married Joanna at all, something who I find pretty unlikely as he was engaged to Anne of York and will likely marry her in this scenario
Why will he wed Anne of York? She brings barely any dowry compared to Joanna. Also Joanna is Ferdinand and Isabella's heiress while Anne will inherit nothing

Why will he wed Anne of York? She brings barely any dowry compared to Joanna. Also Joanna is Ferdinand and Isabella's heiress while Anne will inherit nothing
Because he would be already married to Anne, to which he was engaged before Richard III‘s takeover, when the OTL arrangement between Maximilian and the Catholic Monarchs was made. Also Joanna WAS NOT the heiress of her parents at the time of the marriage and NOBODY expected who she would inherit, else she would be married in Portugal and Maria offered for Philip.

Because he would be already married to Anne, to which he was engaged before Richard III‘s takeover, when the OTL arrangement between Maximilian and the Catholic Monarchs was made. Also Joanna WAS NOT the heiress of her parents at the time of the marriage and NOBODY expected who she would inherit, else she would be married in Portugal and Maria offered for Philip.
If Joanna was expected to inherit, why would she go to Portugal??? She can't rule from there

Assuming of course that there is sufficient dowry for such a marriage no?
Considering how important was the alliance for both sides and who I doubt who Philip would renounce to the match, unless a French girl was offered, I think who the dowry will not be an insurmountable problem (specially considering who in OTL Joanna brought no money, thanks to the double match with Spain, and who her trousseau was lost in the journey)

After her parents died, sure she and Manuel will divide their time between Portugal, Castile and Aragon
So, hypothetical tree:

Manuel I of Portugal m. 1499* Joanna of Castile and Aragon

1. Ferdinand of Castile and Aragon
2. Manuel
3. Isabella
4. Joanna
5. Maria
6. Katherine
7. Joao
8. Beatrice

So, hypothetical tree:

Manuel I of Portugal m. 1499* Joanna of Castile and Aragon

1. Ferdinand of Castile and Aragon
2. Manuel
3. Isabella
4. Joanna
5. Maria
6. Katherine
7. Joao
8. Beatrice
The heir would be called John/Juan of Spain… and the second girl Beatrice

And ended up becoming imprisoned + ruling from Portugal was never tried IOTL, so why are you convinced it's impossible? Philips from II to IV ruled all Iberia and they did it without much problems.
Agreed. What happened to Juana was all fault of her husband and parents and would NOT happen to her if she had married differently to a better husband

And ended up becoming imprisoned + ruling from Portugal was never tried IOTL, so why are you convinced it's impossible? Philips from II to IV ruled all Iberia and they did it without much problems.
Charles V spent his life on the road because he was simply unable to rule from one place alone, is all. But, Joanna could certainly try to rule Castile and Aragon from Portugal, it hasn't been done before.

The heir would be called John/Juan of Spain… and the second girl Beatrice

Agreed. What happened to Juana was all fault of her husband and parents and would NOT happen to her if she had married differently to a better husband
If it's the fault of her parents, it would happen regardless of who the husband is...the heir would NOT be called John because Joanna's brother, John, died too young to be king meaning the name would be seen as unlucky...