As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Saturday Morning Schedule for 1998-99
New shows in BOLD.

ABC
8:00 The Big Comfy Couch (Radical Sheep)
8:30 Fraggle Rock (Jim Henson; Reruns)
9:00 Hey Arnold! (Hanna-Barbera)
9:30 Rocket Power (Hanna-Barbera)
10:00 Mina and the Count (Hanna-Barbera)
10:30 The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show (Warner Bros.; Theatrical shorts)
11:30 The Wild Thornberrys (Hanna-Barbera)
12:30 Science Court (Hanna-Barbera)

CBS
8:00 Birdz (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
8:30 Franklin (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
9:00 Donkey Kong Country (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
9:30 Batman Beyond (Screen Gems; Columbia-TriStar Television)
10:00 Flying Rhino Junior High (Nelvana/Columbia-TriStar Television)
10:30 Pokemon (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
11:00 The Magic School Bus (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
12:00 CBS Storybreak

NBC
8:00 C-Bear and Jamal (Film Roman)
8:30 Toonsylvania (DreamWorks SKG)
9:00 Dumb Bunnies (MWS; RKO Television)
9:30 The Secret Files of Spy Dogs (DiC; Golden Harvest)
10:00 Mad Jack the Pirate (DiC; Golden Harvest)
10:30 The Little Lulu Show (Ruby-Spears; United Artists)
11:00 Monster Farm (DiC; Golden Harvest) *Not to be confused with the anime Monster Rancher.
11:30 Kenzo (MWS; RKO Television)

SBC
8:30 Animaniacs (Warner Bros.)
9:00 Men in Black: The Series (Carolco)
9:30 Ultimate Goosebumps (New Line Cinema)
10:00 Power Rangers Lost Galaxy (Golden Harvest)
10:30 Histeria! (Warner Bros.)
11:00 Ultraforce (Warner Bros.)
11:30 Road Rovers (Warner Bros.)

Fox
8:00 101 Dalmatians: The Series (Disney)
8:30 Recess (Disney)
9:00 Pepper Ann (Disney)
9:30 Bartok the Magnificent (Disney)
10:00 Power Pack (Grantray-Lawrence)
10:30 The Backstreet Project (Grantray-Lawrence)
11:00 Jungle Cubs (Disney)
11:30 The House of Mouse (Disney)

TTL's House of Mouse combines the shorts of Mickey Mouse Works and TTL's House of Mouse. Meanwhile, Bartok headlines his own series instead of a direct to video prequel.

UPN
8:00 Arthur (Paramount)
8:30 Samurai Pizza Cats (Golden Harvest)
9:00 Walter Melon (Golden Harvest)
9:30 Rupert (Paramount)
10:00 The New Woody Woodpecker Show (Universal)
10:30 Oggy and the Cockroaches (Gaumont; Golden Harvest)
11:00 Sam and Max: Freelance Police (Universal)
11:30 DuJour (Universal)
12:00 Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted House (Paramount)

DuJour is Universal's answer to the trend set by Fox's Backstreet Project, set in the same universe as Josie and the Pussycats, as they were depicted in the 2001 OTL live action film. Here is the theme song below:

Wait, what?!

So the co-founder of the WHA is the NHL Commissioner ITTL and he goes against Gary Bettman and basically his "WHA 2.0"?!

So does this make the IHL the ITTL hockey answer to OTL USFL but more successful? My brain loves this while my head is in pain with the idea of this. So random thing, what was the UHL, and is the AHL still around?
The UHL was a rival league that formed in the Eighties and merged with the IHL in the mid-90's.

The AHL still exists as a AAA minor league.

The UHL was a rival league that formed in the Eighties and merged with the IHL in the mid-90's.

The AHL still exists as a AAA minor league.
I don't actually remember the UHL at all. Yet I remember Sky failed US attempt. I should look back at older chapters about the UHL. I'm kinda curious about the UHL now. LOL

Glad the AHL is still around, if they are around then maybe the ECHL is also around so the Johnstown Chiefs are in this TL.

Additional Comments: So I actually remember the UHL now. They left the TL around the Early 1990s and the only one team I notice going to the NHL was the Charlotte Checkers as an expansion team for the 1995-96 season. I honestly forgot they existed so they must have not been very big ITTL unlike the NHL or WHA or even the IHL. Also what happened to the Roller Hockey League? Did they go away like the UHL or something else?

Last edited:
I don't actually remember the UHL at all. Yet I remember Sky failed US attempt. I should look back at older chapters about the UHL. I'm kinda curious about the UHL now. LOL

Glad the AHL is still around, if they are around then maybe the ECHL is also around so the Johnstown Chiefs are in this TL.

Ice Hockey at a glance
Majors:

National Hockey League
International Hockey League

Minors:
American Hockey League
Central Hockey League
East Coast Hockey League
Western Professional Hockey League (Most teams in Texas)

Ice Hockey at a glance
Majors:

National Hockey League
International Hockey League

Minors:
American Hockey League
Central Hockey League
East Coast Hockey League
Western Professional Hockey League (Most teams in Texas)
Thanks for the list. Sorry for bringing this up but I was honestly curious about the timeline and its sports history. I remember the USFL becoming the WLAF so I'm kinda surprised I forgot the UHL happened.

Western Professional Hockey League sounds awesome. I'm from East Texas so maybe they would have an Arenas their ITTL for a WPHL team. Maybe the Longview Lancers or Kilgore Oilers or Stars

Thanks for the list. Sorry for bringing this up but I was honestly curious about the timeline and its sports history. I remember the USFL becoming the WLAF so I'm kinda surprised I forgot the UHL happened.

Western Professional Hockey League sounds awesome. I'm from East Texas so maybe they would have an Arenas their ITTL for a WPHL team. Maybe the Longview Lancers or Kilgore Oilers or Stars
And there was also the Austin Ice Bats and Tupelo T-Rex in Mississippi.

Additional Comments: So I actually remember the UHL now. They left the TL around the Early 1990s and the only one team I notice going to the NHL was the Charlotte Checkers as an expansion team for the 1995-96 season. I honestly forgot they existed so they must have not been very big ITTL unlike the NHL or WHA or even the IHL. Also what happened to the Roller Hockey League? Did they go away like the UHL or something else?

The Roller Hockey League folded after its Summer 1997 campaign.

New shows in BOLD.

ABC
8:00 The Big Comfy Couch (Radical Sheep)
8:30 Fraggle Rock (Jim Henson; Reruns)
9:00 Hey Arnold! (Hanna-Barbera)
9:30 Rocket Power (Hanna-Barbera)
10:00 Mina and the Count (Hanna-Barbera)
10:30 The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show (Warner Bros.; Theatrical shorts)
11:30 The Wild Thornberrys (Hanna-Barbera)
12:30 Science Court (Hanna-Barbera)

CBS
8:00 Birdz (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
8:30 Franklin (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
9:00 Donkey Kong Country (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
9:30 Batman Beyond (Screen Gems; Columbia-TriStar Television)
10:00 Flying Rhino Junior High (Nelvana/Columbia-TriStar Television)
11:00 The Magic School Bus (Nelvana; Columbia-TriStar Television)
12:00 CBS Storybreak

NBC
8:00 C-Bear and Jamal (Film Roman)
8:30 Toonsylvania (DreamWorks SKG)
9:00 Dumb Bunnies (MWS; RKO Television)
9:30 The Secret Files of Spy Dogs (DiC; Golden Harvest)
10:00 Mad Jack the Pirate (DiC; Golden Harvest)
10:30 The Little Lulu Show (Ruby-Spears; United Artists)
11:00 Monster Farm (DiC; Golden Harvest) *Not to be confused with the anime Monster Rancher.
11:30 Kenzo (MWS; RKO Television)

SBC
8:30 Animaniacs (Warner Bros.)
9:00 Men in Black: The Series (Carolco)
9:30 Ultimate Goosebumps (New Line Cinema)
10:00 Power Rangers Lost Galaxy (Golden Harvest)
10:30 Histeria! (Warner Bros.)
11:00 Ultraforce (Warner Bros.)
11:30 Road Rovers (Warner Bros.)

Fox
8:00 101 Dalmatians: The Series (Disney)
8:30 Recess (Disney)
9:00 Pepper Ann (Disney)
9:30 Bartok the Magnificent (Disney)
10:00 Power Pack (Grantray-Lawrence)
10:30 The Backstreet Project (Grantray-Lawrence)
11:00 Jungle Cubs (Disney)
11:30 The House of Mouse (Disney)

TTL's House of Mouse combines the shorts of Mickey Mouse Works and TTL's House of Mouse. Meanwhile, Bartok headlines his own series instead of a direct to video prequel.

UPN
8:00 Arthur (Paramount)
8:30 Samurai Pizza Cats (Golden Harvest)
9:00 Walter Melon (Golden Harvest)
9:30 Rupert (Paramount)
10:00 The New Woody Woodpecker Show (Universal)
10:30 Oggy and the Cockroaches (Gaumont; Golden Harvest)
11:00 Sam and Max: Freelance Police (Universal)
11:30 DuJour (Universal)
12:00 Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted House (Paramount)

DuJour is Universal's answer to the trend set by Fox's Backstreet Project, set in the same universe as Josie and the Pussycats, as they were depicted in the 2001 OTL live action film. Here is the theme song below:
1: Call me crazy, but I think that Fraggle Rock should get the axe next season. They're fine where they are right now, but the time has come to kick them out.
2: Surprisingly, I can see Nelvana remaining a big help with CBS's lineup in the coming years. I mean, Franklin, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, and The Magic School Bus in the same block? You can kiss your resurgence goodbye, Fox. I have a new favorite network here and then.
3: I might check out NBC at the start of the season for Dumb Bunnies and Little Lulu, but not much else.
4: Once again, SBC's lineup has its checks written by Bugs and Daffy's agents. And I couldn't be happier for them.
5: Unfortunately, if I wasn't already hooked onto Recess or The Backstreet Project, I'd probably only check out The House of Mouse on Fox this year.
6: I actually think that UPN is the runner-up in this case, what with Rupert, Woody Woodpecker, and Oggy getting some of the best timeslots the network can give them.
7: When it comes to The Wild Thornberrys, The Magic School Bus, CBS Storybreak, and Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted House, do they air two half-hour episodes every Saturday? If so, then literally half of CBS's content is stuff that I would enjoy. Not bad, considering their early 90s SatAM output IOTL.

1: Call me crazy, but I think that Fraggle Rock should get the axe next season. They're fine where they are right now, but the time has come to kick them out.
2: Surprisingly, I can see Nelvana remaining a big help with CBS's lineup in the coming years. I mean, Franklin, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, and The Magic School Bus in the same block? You can kiss your resurgence goodbye, Fox. I have a new favorite network here and then.
3: I might check out NBC at the start of the season for Dumb Bunnies and Little Lulu, but not much else.
4: Once again, SBC's lineup has its checks written by Bugs and Daffy's agents. And I couldn't be happier for them.
5: Unfortunately, if I wasn't already hooked onto Recess or The Backstreet Project, I'd probably only check out The House of Mouse on Fox this year.
6: I actually think that UPN is the runner-up in this case, what with Rupert, Woody Woodpecker, and Oggy getting some of the best timeslots the network can give them.
7: When it comes to The Wild Thornberrys, The Magic School Bus, CBS Storybreak, and Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted House, do they air two half-hour episodes every Saturday? If so, then literally half of CBS's content is stuff that I would enjoy. Not bad, considering their early 90s SatAM output IOTL.

1) Yeah, it's time to dust off the SatAM brainstorm thread in the DM's.
2) Fox's slide really began when the TMNT left the lineup.
3) NBC's on much thinner ice than Fox this year.
5) Recess and Backstreet are indeed Fox's big ratings draws this year.
6) So for you, CBS gets the crown this year?
7) Those shows are indeed airing two half-hours at the moment. But in January of '99, more new shows will be added to their respective networks' lineups.

1) Yeah, it's time to dust off the SatAM brainstorm thread in the DM's.
It's been a long time since we've communicated through that thread. Maybe we can make a new one?
2) Fox's slide really began when the TMNT left the lineup.
And it honestly shows.
3) NBC's on much thinner ice than Fox this year.
I never would have guessed that. But considering all the competition, I suppose it isn't that surprising.
5) Recess and Backstreet are indeed Fox's big ratings draws this year.
That's a given, but I hope that House of Mouse delivers enough of a success to get picked up for further seasons.
6) So for you, CBS gets the crown this year?
How could they not? Why, Pokemania alone would give CBS the victory lap by late September, if not by Day One.
7) Those shows are indeed airing two half-hours at the moment. But in January of '99, more new shows will be added to their respective networks' lineups.
So, what did you have in mind for January 1999 in the Saturday Morning market? If you don't have any ideas, may I suggest some choices?

Hopefully Pokemon: The First Movie will have a better English dub ITTL.
I say this as a Pokemon fanboy who loves the movie we did get, but the original Japanese version was just straight up better.

Curious what Walt Jr. thinks of another mouse sweeping America's youth by storm.

Hopefully Pokemon: The First Movie will have a better English dub ITTL.
I say this as a Pokemon fanboy who loves the movie we did get, but the original Japanese version was just straight up better.
I mean, Nelvana's ties to Nintendo are a lot more publicly known than 4Kids's NES connections back when they were called Leisure Concepts. So I can see a better dub out of this.
Curious what Walt Jr. thinks of another mouse sweeping America's youth by storm.
I think he'd enjoy Pikachu's power and marketability. The same thing happened for Lum and Ten in the adult demographic in the early 80s, so why not?
On the other hand, with Pokemon and House of Mouse an hour apart and a few channel changes between each other, I can see a friendly rivalry between the two animated mice.

I think he'd enjoy Pikachu's power and marketability. The same thing happened for Lum and Ten in the adult demographic in the early 80s, so why not?
On the other hand, with Pokemon and House of Mouse an hour apart and a few channel changes between each other, I can see a friendly rivalry between the two animated mice.

***Phone rings***
Charles Hirschhorn (Interim CEO of Atari): "Hello? Junior?"
Walt Disney, Jr.: "Chuck, we need new Atari characters pronto. Tiffany's classmates got her hooked on something called Pokey-Man..."
Hirschhorn: "Pokemon?"
Junior: "Yeah, that's it."
Hirschhorn: "I'll get right on it."

***Phone rings***
Walt Disney, Jr.: "Chuck, we need new Atari characters pronto. Tiffany's classmates got her hooked on something called Pokey-Man..."
I can hardly wait to see the new faces of Atari!

***Phone rings***
Perhaps seeing Pokemons appeal & success Junior grabs the rights to Digimon from Bandai.
Digimon is currently just a spinoff of the Tamagotchi virtual pets and the anime should be in pre-production about now.
Maybe Atari develops the Digimon games ITTL?

Or perhaps Lilo & Stitch happens much sooner than OTL? (Stitch himself dates back to 1985. So the concept is there.) The OTL animated series with all the different experiments really gives off Pokemon vines.

Perhaps seeing Pokemons appeal & success Junior grabs the rights to Digimon from Bandai.
Digimon is currently just a spinoff of the Tamagotchi virtual pets and the anime should be in pre-production about now.

Or perhaps Lilo & Stitch happens much sooner than OTL? (Stitch himself dates back to 1985. So the concept is there.) The OTL animated series with all the different experiments really gives off Pokemon vines.
In the case of Digimon, the Atari Panther does have the Klonoa franchise from Namco on their system, and Digimon is what Bandai is mostly known for nowadays, if people even connect the two together at all. Plus, Disney did treat the Digimon anime well enough when they bought Saban and created Jetix.

However, I was admittedly planning on mentioning Lilo and Stitch myself for the same reasons and context as those you brought up. So, it could go either way here.

I like both options but I have to go with Digimon for Disney.