Sports What Ifs.

No Marino in the Jets ideas? For me Either the Jets found the much needed heir of Joe Namath and with the NYSE are able to capitalize Marino for a SuperBowl win or two, or is NY Marino, great stats, no rings

OTOH, Brees, without New Orleans, probably goes to Miami in TTL...

I think Miami still passes (they had the first crack, but their doctors said that it wasn't a good idea to sign him), and Brees has to look at other options. Here are some guesses as to what those would be:

1. Ravens. They did end up trading for Air McNair, but that wasn't until early May of that year.
2. Broncos. They brought in Mike Heimerdinger to be the QB coach, and he wanted a different QB than Plummer. Now, Shanahan originally had his sights set on Leinart, but the Bills and Lions wouldn't trade down with him. So, they drafted Cutler. However, if the Saints and Dolphins don't get Brees, I wonder if they decide to take a closer look at him.
3. Vikings. They would be losing Culpepper, and they had a 38-year old Brad Johnson at QB.

If one of those teams gets him, I would have to say that the Ravens get him. The Broncos had their sights set on a young QB (and got Cutler), and the Vikings seemed more dysfunctional after what happened the year before (the party boat and things like that).

Marino on the Jets probably flips them and the Dolphins in 1984, with a loss to the 49ers. I'm not sure if the Jets would have overcome the Patriots in 1985 though it's possible.

But, 1986 is the really interesting one. Let's say the Jets have some lower draft picks because of doing better. They still lost a 10-point deficit to the Browns in the last few minutes and then lost the game in what I think was double over time in fact. So this is a team that could very easily go to the Superbowl.

Just the idea of an all New York Super Bowl in 1986, well January of 1987, is fun enough.

Mike Tomlin almost became the head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2007 after Nick Saban left.

What if he ended up taking that job? What would the Dolphins be like and who would take the Steelers job and would the Steelers still end up win a Super Bowl win and 2 Super Bowl appearances

the Steelers still end up win a Super Bowl win and 2 Super Bowl appearances
Depends who is the new Head coach to remplace the jaw. Dennis Greene? Ken wisenhunt? Would Pete Carroll jump early from USC?

Super bowl 43 is wide open depending who the cards draft too that year and 45 even more to reach it

Depends who is the new Head coach to remplace the jaw. Dennis Greene? Ken wisenhunt? Would Pete Carroll jump early from USC?

Super bowl 43 is wide open depending who the cards draft too that year and 45 even more to reach it
I can see them going for Ken Wisenhunt for sure and I think Arizona goes bold and hires then Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner as their new head coach

Have to Google the guy, of course he is related to norv, two brothers would be HC that year, Ron seems the guy would took AP or Lynch over Levi brown and his pass happy offense would do wonder for Kurt, maybe he could try to salvage leinart too. With some luck we could see wisenhunt facing the Cardinals now. Dunno 2010, that year was a mess for Steelers yet they sneak all the way in but Ken is not Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin almost became the head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2007 after Nick Saban left.

What if he ended up taking that job? What would the Dolphins be like and who would take the Steelers job and would the Steelers still end up win a Super Bowl win and 2 Super Bowl appearances
He would have been fired years ago. He is only still in Pittsburgh because the Rooneys are idiots.

They would've hired Ken Whisenhunt if he hadn't gone to Arizona and Russ Grimm if he did.

The Arizona Cardinals lose every close game they won in 2006 and, as a result, go 1-15 in the 2006 season. So, they have the #1 pick.

Now, they probably don't draft JaMarcus Russell, given that they have Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner. So, they go with Calvin Johnson instead.

Effects, anyone? (Imagine a Cardinals team with both Megatron and Fitzgerald...)

Now, they probably don't draft JaMarcus Russell, given that they have Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner. So, they go with Calvin Johnson instead.
We're taking Joe Thomas, already have Boldin and Larry, meaning Joe Thomas to reinforce our O-line

You want them to fire a guy who never had a losing season, won a Super Bowl, and kept head cases like AB and CFF:LoM under control for 10 years?
He has had a stacked roster for years, and didn't win more than one SB. Heck, he hasn't been to one in 11 years. He has done more with less than any coach since Jack Pardee with the 91-93 Oilers.

WHAT IF: THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS SELECTS ERIC LINDROS 1ST OVERALL IN 1991?

Backstory: the leafs made one of the most terrible trades in their existence when they acquired tom kurvers of the new jersey devils for their 1991 1st round pick. They Were bottom of the league during the 1990-1991 season, but realised that the pick they traded to the devils could be the lindros pick, and so, they hurriedly acquired whatever remaining good players the other worst team in the league, the quenec nordiques, had in order for the devils to have the third overall pick instead (cause the expansion san jose sharks would automatically select 2nd overall.). The devils would end up selecting Scott niedermayer with the third overall pick that year.

So yeah, What if the leafs didn't trade for tom kurvers, tanked the 1990 1991 season and selected Eric Lindros 1st overall, while Scott Niedermayer goes to Quebec with the third overall pick?

with Both Lindros and Doug Gilmour as their top line centers, does the leafs win the stanley cup in 92-93 and 93-94? With Niedermayer alongside Adam foote on the top pairing, and with mats sundin assumably staying in quebec/colorado due to no peter forsberg, does the avs still trade for Osolinsh in 95 or Raymond Bourque in 2000? Do they instead trade Owen Nolan and Stéphane Fiset for Patrick Roy, as was agreed on the original Roy deal before Serge Savard was fired?

and the philadelphia flyers: Without Lindros, but keeping the depth that they sacrificed to get him (duchesne, hextall, Ricci, Simon, huffman and the 1993 first rounder), keeping dmitri yushkevich around, PLUS peter forsberg as their franchise center (with rod brind'amour and ricci as their other 2 centers, forming one of the best center depth in the NHL), do the flyers get over the hump in the 90s and 2000s? Do they still trade mark recchi for john leclair and eric desjardins? Who would they pick with the 1993 10th overall pick?

Last edited:
We're taking Joe Thomas, already have Boldin and Larry, meaning Joe Thomas to reinforce our O-line
I think that Adrian Peterson would be under consideration, too. I would take Thomas, but they don't have too much at RB other than a washed-up Edgerrin James and J.J. Arrington.

Last edited:
I think that Adrian Peterson would be under consideration, too. I would take Thomas, but they don't have too much at RB other than a washed-up Edgerrin James and J.J. Arrington.
Otl we got a limping James and Adrian slipped to our draft slot and we still took an OL OTL (Levi brown), ittl if we can get Joe Thomas we going to take him, unless...we trade anqouan boldin and trade up for brown and take Calvin Johnson and move Larry to slot